PDA

View Full Version : optimal frame rate...

matmonkfish
03-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Hello...

I am about to finish my studies at animation mentor where the standard frame rate is 24fps

I am intending to put a showreel together to ultimatley end up both on DVD and on my website.

Being from the UK the standard format for DVD/TV is 25fps. So i am planning to ditch the 24fps i have been working at during animation mentor and switch everything to 25fps and use 25fps on my website too, so im not messing around with different frame rates.

However i want to make sure i change to 25fps in my maya scenes and work at 25fps all the way through compositing and editing rather than re-encoding anything which could in a less than perfect still frame duration, or sound sync issues (which i can ensure are re-synced to 25fps in maya) which as an animator you need to be uite particualr about

My question simply is does this sound like a good idea, like there is no good reason to stick with 24fps is there? i just want to ensure i get all these tricky details right to ensure a decent pipeline for maximum simplcity and quality and that i can continue to work at in the future for any updates. So being as TV and DVD is broadcast at 25fps here, any reason to not totally switch post animation mentor?

tfortier
03-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Try 25fps, It will be more simple to convert obviously. On the other hand, rendering to 29.97 will give a more TV result... 24 is more film. I am not always happy with pulldown result (24>29.97), it fine on tv but your quicktimes look like crap.

An exemple, I did few months ago a japanese animation ads for T-mobile. Very manga. The work was perfect in 24fr, most hand drawing were at 12fps. Look very fine. At the transfert, I dont know what they did but there was tons of fields errors. you can see lines all the time even on dvd. morale; do the conversion from 24 to dvd only if you know what you are doing.

I would stay in 24 and do a pulldown if I lived in america but for europe, I think 25fps is great. Its more cinematic than 29.97.

olson
03-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Almost all animation and film productions are 24 FPS as an industry standard with a few exceptions for things like amusement park rides with higher frame rates. Any frame rate conversions are typically done in post. Cheers!

imashination
03-21-2009, 03:58 AM
I would just go to 25 fps straight away. When they convert 24fps films to pal dvd, they just speed up the video to 25 so the film and audio plays faster. The difference between 24 and 25 fps when played on a 60hz screen isnt worth making the dvd more difficult.

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2009, 03:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.