PDA

View Full Version : optimal frame rate...

matmonkfish
03-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Hello...

I am about to finish my studies at animation mentor where the standard frame rate is 24fps

I am intending to put a showreel together to ultimatley end up both on DVD and on my website.

Being from the UK the standard format for DVD/TV is 25fps. So i am planning to ditch the 24fps i have been working at during animation mentor and switch everything to 25fps and use 25fps on my website too, so im not messing around with different frame rates.

However i want to make sure i change to 25fps in my maya scenes and work at 25fps all the way through compositing and editing rather than re-encoding anything which could in a less than perfect still frame duration, or sound sync issues (which i can ensure are re-synced to 25fps in maya) which as an animator you need to be uite particualr about

My question simply is does this sound like a good idea, like there is no good reason to stick with 24fps is there? i just want to ensure i get all these tricky details right to ensure a decent pipeline for maximum simplcity and quality and that i can continue to work at in the future for any updates. So being as TV and DVD is broadcast at 25fps here, any reason to not totally switch post animation mentor?

beaker
03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
It is up to you. Most dvd players and new digital tv's playback 24fps just fine. Also 90% of the people I send reels too look at the dvd on a computer or download it over the web which can play back 24p just fine.

Personally I find 24fps easier to animate to and if you do need to change it to 25fps then you can do the same thing millions of films have been doing for 12 years now and simply encode your 24p material as 25fps which does a minor 4% speed up.

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.