PDA

View Full Version : Zapping - Short film

Aritz
03-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi. We have just finished our first short film, here at Ikso Studio. You all are welcome to visit the web and see it, and download it in HD or FullHD. Hope you like it :)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/472186/Forums/CGTalk/Zapping680.jpg (http://www.iksostudio.com)

Alternative link at Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/3720361)

Per-Anders
03-20-2009, 08:49 PM
It was well polished, but the diagrams felt like you were trying to (having to) explain the joke, and make up for poor compositional/directional choices that would have made it clear. It breaks up the link with the character and is distracting. Diagrams are best used either in an extremely short way or to be funny themselves, e.g. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy style cutscenes.

You should try working at making the character, their movements, the props, lighting, framing and shots/cuts themselves convey the story in a clear manner without need of explicit explanations for what's going on, it's about drawing the viewer in to have them feel empathy with the protagonist to the point where they understand exactly what's going on and what's going through the characters mind. That way the flow can be maintained and the jokes/slapstick will be funnier and have greater impact for the viewer.

thematt
03-20-2009, 09:43 PM
It was well polished, but the diagrams felt like you were trying to (having to) explain the joke, and make up for poor compositional/directional choices that would have made it clear. It breaks up the link with the character and is distracting. Diagrams are best used either in an extremely short way or to be funny themselves, e.g. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy style cutscenes.

You should try working at making the character, their movements, the props, lighting, framing and shots/cuts themselves convey the story in a clear manner without need of explicit explanations for what's going on, it's about drawing the viewer in to have them feel empathy with the protagonist to the point where they understand exactly what's going on and what's going through the characters mind. That way the flow can be maintained and the jokes/slapstick will be funnier and have greater impact for the viewer.

Per-anders, my thoughts exactly !!

The lighting is nice otherwise, and the animation is holding up so for the rest I think it's quite good.

congrats.

cheers

AdamHerbert
03-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Great job guys! As was said, the diagrams definitely aren't necessary. Other than that I love it!

cresshead
03-20-2009, 10:40 PM
nice short!:)

blenderhead
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
It was well polished, but the diagrams felt like you were trying to (having to) explain the joke, and make up for poor compositional/directional choices that would have made it clear.

Woah woah woah. That flash animation wasn't 'explaining a gag', as there wasn't one (apart from the dino getting knocked out). It just went through the function of a remote. I agree it was un-neccesary and broke the flow of the piece, but it was probably to further showcase the studio's skillset, and not 'make up for poor compositional/directional choices that would have made it clear'. I have no issue with this shorts composition and directorial choices. Given its length, I would actually say the choices made were the wisest ones.

I also thought the first jump up onto the seat was ropey. Other than that, a fine short. :)

blenderhead
03-21-2009, 08:29 PM
*double post*

Per-Anders
03-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Woah woah woah. That flash animation wasn't 'explaining a gag', as there wasn't one (apart from the dino getting knocked out). It just went through the function of a remote. I agree it was un-neccesary and broke the flow of the piece, but it was probably to further showcase the studio's skillset, and not 'make up for poor compositional/directional choices that would have made it clear'. I have no issue with this shorts composition and directorial choices. Given its length, I would actually say the choices made were the wisest ones.

I also thought the first jump up onto the seat was ropey. Other than that, a fine short. :)

Uh, yes it clearly was explaining a gag. The first, explaining that finally he sees the right remote which is meant to be a "doh!" moment, the second that ho-ho the remote operates in a very Flinstones-a-like way. That you can't tell they were meant to be gags is all the more damning, because I really doubt the studio was trying to show that they too can do very basic after effects/flash work, it's redundant and it's pretty clear it's a (poor) directional decision that breaks the flow.

It honestly doesn't take much imagination to think up better ways to convey these concepts, the gags themselves as old as they may be are potentially very funny when played right (the star wars one for instance was great, it's was quick, clever and lets the viewer "get it" on their own) but as with all humor it's how you tell 'em.

Geta-Ve
03-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Uh, yes it clearly was explaining a gag. The first, explaining that finally he sees the right remote which is meant to be a "doh!" moment, the second that ho-ho the remote operates in a very Flinstones-a-like way. That you can't tell they were meant to be gags is all the more damning, because I really doubt the studio was trying to show that they too can do very basic after effects/flash work, it's redundant and it's pretty clear it's a (poor) directional decision that breaks the flow.

It honestly doesn't take much imagination to think up better ways to convey these concepts, the gags themselves as old as they may be are potentially very funny when played right (the star wars one for instance was great, it's was quick, clever and lets the viewer "get it" on their own) but as with all humor it's how you tell 'em.

I agree with blenderhead, in my opinion the diagrams weren't there to explain the gag, they were there to set up for the punch line. First we see that the diagram notes that he sees the remote that is 'close but far' a situation we have all been in. So then he tries to get it without getting off the couch, THAT is the gag. Second diagram explains how the remote operates, setting up for it operating not in the way it was suppose to.

Neither of the diagrams explain how or why the 'gag' is supposed to be funny. They are merely the setup for the punchline of a joke.

Per-Anders
03-22-2009, 12:46 AM
http://www.per-anders.net/general/diagram_face_palm.JPG

blenderhead
03-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Mature. God bless the internet.

simyevil2010
03-22-2009, 09:46 AM
very funny movie nice color & anmy heheh i liket very mach man

good luck :thumbsup:

Geta-Ve
03-22-2009, 03:40 PM
http://www.per-anders.net/general/diagram_face_palm.JPG

You have convinced me! God bless your heart!

I fail to see how that is representative of the diagrams in the movie in any way at all?

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2009, 03:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.