PDA

View Full Version : UI limitation ??

phanimadhav78
03-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi
I am creating some dynamic ui elements (layouts,text,Buttons etc) based on some information from currently opened file. It all works fine untill some huge file is opened, i get an error saying cannot create certain UI element.
I was wondering wheather maya has a limit of how many UI elements that can be created in a window? if there is.. then is there any way to overcome it?

---

ewerybody
03-21-2009, 01:15 PM
If I open up 2 Mayas and a Photoshop, Mayas UI creation sometimes badly screws up. Then I have to close something else to free up ram... I had this quite some times.
Is it like that?

AFAIK there is no hardcoded limit. What does the error exactly say?

phanimadhav78
03-22-2009, 08:07 AM
the error is somethis like this.. cannot create <uiName>.
Ya i think i am hitting the memory limit.
the script runs fine till there are around 800 ui elements in a window, after that it throws an error or sometimes crashes.
the number is not presice cuz with a blank scene i was able to create more than 1000 ui elements in a window.

ewerybody
03-22-2009, 01:23 PM
are you sure you "need" that much ui elements? I mean 1000?!? I can't believe you're able to check all of those at a time. What about filters? or pages like "next 100"?

goleafsgo
03-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Are you on Windows? Windows has a certain amount of memory that it allocates for UI elements. This is global amount for all apps...so it's not hard to hit if you have a couple of Maya's open, Photoshop, web browser with a bunch of tabs open...

If you have some script which creates 1000's of UI elements and you are starting to hit this limit then you should either be looking to change your UI or maybe shut down some other app's that you don't need running.

You can google "windows desktop heap" for more information...also I think a lot has changed with Vista so this might not be as much of an issue going forward.

phanimadhav78
03-23-2009, 05:13 AM
i am on windows. Yes i had to change my UI layout to bypass this.
Initially i was creating UI elements to display info about all the file texture node found in a scene.. text, select buttons etc, (a common set for each file texture node). Now i fill a textscrolllist with all the nodes and create UI element for only the selected node in the scrollList and deleting the previous one. This way, at any time there are about 15 UI elements in the window.

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2009, 05:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.