PDA

View Full Version : Questions about animation and Gnomon

taxguy
03-20-2009, 05:03 AM
I have read over the forums and the Gnomon thread but didn't see a straight answer to some questions. I would appreciate some help in the area.

1. If someone has decent foundation skills ( drawing, life drawing etc.), can the Gnomon Graphics Certifcate program get them a solid job , assumming they work hard at it without having much character animation courses OR do you recommend a separate program (I school) in character animation?

2. Does Gnomon provide decent character animation training? On reviewing their site, the character animation courses seem a bit spartan when compared to Ringling or animation mentor or even Max the Mutt. Am I reading it incorrectly?

3. What do you think of Max the Mutt and/or VFS for character animation?

Goals, My daughter wants 3D animation. She has some strong design training/background and is interested in 3D. "Thus, we don't know whether she can get all the training necessary to get some broad based skills at Gnomon or whether she should go to a school like Animation mentor or Max the mutt or even Ringling for these broad based skills.

Kanga
03-20-2009, 11:40 PM
You can want 3d animation but you cant buy it. All the training, hard and software in the world wont do it. Many of my students like the idea of working in games, actually they would rather play them than make them because it is easier.

This is about the game industry but you can apply it to 3d animation in films and advertising if that is what your daughter is after.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/money_mouth.htm

and

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/formal_art_training.html

If you dont have that swing,... then you cant do that thing :)

Chris

ZacD
03-20-2009, 11:54 PM
1. If someone has decent foundation skills ( drawing, life drawing etc.), can the Gnomon Graphics Certifcate program get them a solid job , assumming they work hard at it without having much character animation courses OR do you recommend a separate program (I school) in character animation?

From what I've heard gnomon teaches there students to be generialist that specialize in what they want, so if you went to gnomon you'd be a generalist that specializes in character animation. From what they've told me, 80% of the people make it through the program, 90% of those land a job within 3 months of graduation, normaly making around 50k.

2. Does Gnomon provide decent character animation training? On reviewing their site, the character animation courses seem a bit spartan when compared to Ringling or animation mentor or even Max the Mutt. Am I reading it incorrectly?

Read above

3. What do you think of Max the Mutt and/or VFS for character animation?

Don't have much exprience with.

Goals, My daughter wants 3D animation. She has some strong design training/background and is interested in 3D. "Thus, we don't know whether she can get all the training necessary to get some broad based skills at Gnomon or whether she should go to a school like Animation mentor or Max the mutt or even Ringling for these broad based skills.

If she hasn't done much with 3D, getting a general education would probably the be the best idea, people really change there mind and figure out what they enjoy the most after learning the basics.

taxguy
03-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Actually, she doens't want game design. She is more interested in other aspects of 3D animation besides gaming, as strange as that may sound.

Kanga
03-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Doesnt sound strange at all.
With a little imagination the advice I directed you to can be applied to 3d in all fields,.... like I wrote in the first respose ;)

SanjayChand
03-25-2009, 08:30 PM
I have read over the forums and the Gnomon thread but didn't see a straight answer to some questions. I would appreciate some help in the area.

If someone has decent foundation skills, then Gnomon will work well for them. Before I went to Gnomon, I had completed my BA in Studio Art.

The comb of the traditional art training + Gnomon worked out well for me.

Is your daughter sure that she wants to be an animator? If so, there are schools that heavily concentrate on animation but (from what I have heard from graduates) neglect other areas.

Often times, people go into a CG school wanting to do one thing and end up doing something else by the time they graduate. Since Gnomon is a generalist program, students get exposed to every aspect of the pipeline, and hence might find something that they like better. Personally, I went into Gnomon wanting to be a creature modeler and I have ended up working mostly as a lighter and compositer over the last year.

In the end, if your daughter is 100% sure she only wants to do character animation, then Gnomon might not be the best choice (however, Gnomon does produce character animators that work in the various industries).

But if she enrolls in anim mentor or Ringling (heavily animation focused) and then decides that she doesnt want to do animation, that might present a problem since the focus isnt as generalized as Gnomon, or in the case of Anim mentor, isnt generalized at -all.

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2009, 08:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.