PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 2D - facosta - Crimson Horhn

facosta
03-19-2009, 11:57 PM
hey guys,

Thought I'd start my thread here on CGTalk. Been looking forward to this competition for a long while now and I hope to have ready some thumbs to post sometime this weekend. Good luck to you all!!

facosta
03-22-2009, 04:12 AM
hello guys,

I've been looking at the different entries here and so far so good. Lot's of good entries for this War!!

Today I went over the guideline and story and came up with these sketches. Pretty much just to give me a basic idea of what this world might look like and what the inhabitants might look like.

Still not sure what type to choose, so far I like the silhouette that the dangling cables do and my character will probably be using a staff. Maybe a mount? Don't know what do you guys think?

I'll try and do some more thumbs tomorrow!!

Take care.

http://www.facosta.com/stuff/facosta_DWIV_InitialSketches.jpg

FrozZT
03-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Nice roughs man! I like how you showed the demon's(or what it is) size in the bottom left one.. I'll just sit back for now and await some character concepts! Good luck to you! Keep it up!

-Niklas

facosta
03-30-2009, 02:17 AM
hello,

This weekend I worked on some small thumbs. Just trying a little bit of everything right now.
I'm trying to go for a Norm Invoker or Norm Stalker. Trying to do a mix between, pirate, viking and samurai costume combinations in a mad max world kind of.

So far I like the idea of pet lizards that can become huge lizard creatures when invoked. I also like the ideas of the loose cables or straps and the swords on that last thumb.

What do you guys think?

Any crits and comments are welcome ;)

http://www.facosta.com/stuff/facosta_DWIV_InitialThumbs.jpg

madbot
03-30-2009, 02:40 AM
I love your work. Thumbs with great depth and a great selection of character thumbs. I really like F, G & H. Looking forward to more updates.

ShogunWarrior
03-30-2009, 04:21 AM
all these characters are wonderful my friend. It is you that will have to decide which is the one you will pick..I like them all.. can't wait to see the final product..

Surrealix
03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Wow, facosta, they all look stunning. C, G and N stand out a little to me, although I can't really put a finger on why. Best of luck deciding which one to use, it'll be a hard decision!

MarianneM
03-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi F

Goodies gallore! These look fantastic!
Faves: F, G and N (N being my fave silhouette, unusual and fun). I also liked the idea of two monitor lizards as pets, that gave me a giggle. I can picture them pulling on that leash and misbehaving constantly.

Looks like fun, working with such tiny thumbnails to start with :)

facosta
04-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Been running a fever all day long and feeling like hell, but I still wanted to post something since I missed the last weekend. So I'll reply to the posts first:

madbot- Thanks for your kind words, Glad you liked the thumbs. F seemed to be the favorite!
ShogunWarrior - Thanks dude, yeah it's been tough, hopefully you'll like what i went with
Surrealix - thanks C was my favorite, I don't know why but it was the one I enjoyed the most.
MarianneM : merci :) you should try playing with the thumbnails, just try it for fun and I'm sure your awesome twisted mind will come up with lots of cool stuff!!!

Ok so I thought about it and decided to go with something like F but still maintaining the viking, samurai, mongol influence in a mad max world type, that I started as inspiration with.

I'm seeing a lot of demons and cyborgs so I thought it would be a fun challenge to go with a norm on this one.

I looked at F and saw that mask, so I played with a couple of ideas, then his squarish head reminded me of a cool turban. so I think I've come up with an idea for this entry. He will be a norm-stalker. He lives in the desert and hides beneath the sand. When the machines destroyed his homeland and it became a barren desert he learned to use his magic and to channel it through his costume to hide beneath the sands and attack the enemy.

With the new apparience of the demons new toxins have altered the air and so he now must wear a gasmask to stay alive.

I tried the 4 arm approach, but I think that works better with more of an alien anatomy, kinda like what Carlos Huante does. I think that for this dude the normal human anatomy might work better. I don't know what do you guys think?

Again this time the drawings aren't as polished, but I'm feeling crazy ill. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better to continue with this design.

Thanks for watching.

F.Acosta

http://www.facosta.com/stuff/facosta_DWIV_mask.jpg

MarianneM
04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Goodies again here... I really liked the 4 arms personally - I think perhaps the problem in the drawing might be that he seems to have two ribcages as well. He will be great no matter what, but multiple arms remind me of Shiva, so for a God/Demon, it makes sense and separates this guy from the Norms a tad more too, since he is not very creature-like

I like where this is going

DeadInTheAttic
04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
You're right, I think, demons and cyborgs are the most common characters.
And within the Norms it seems to be the Invoker (mine, too).

I like your last concept-sketch, though I would stuck to the humanoid one, the shiva one is somehow often seen (as often as centaur-beings). Something like "more arms must be more powerful". But I think, they did not really fit to your character. He looks more like an infiltrator, has to be agile, invisible, surviving almost everywhere and powerful by precision, not by strength.

If you want to add some details, think about scars, former wounds, clothing, technology (a remote control might be more powerful than only zapping through the channels :D ), sniper rifle, belt of knives, some pet like a falcon or similar stuff. And I think, you will find the right setting of your character according to your initial sketches. I really like them.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.