PDA

View Full Version : Mapping / texturing theory problem...

HeWhoHasNoName
03-19-2009, 04:52 AM
Short version: when you're given a specified texel resolution that's too high to avoid massive mirroring, and concept art that shows a very asymmetrical paint scheme, which one should win out?

I'm in the middle of an art test right now that has kind of a tricky quirk to it. The object is blocky and rectangular, and specified at a certain dimension (512x256x256cm). Texel resolution is specified as 128 pixels / foot.

When you do the math, this works out to a situation where the object will not fit on the specified 2048 texture without cutting it up and mirroring it to hell and back.

But the paint scheme on the object is very clearly asymmetrical. It's a very irregular wrap-around camouflage.

I've hedged my bets and cut it up to mirror it like crazy (and I'll still have to shrink some parts slightly below the specified 128/ft texel res), but from the standpoint of basic theory, how would you solve it? Mirror very aggresively, or partially bust texel res spec?

TarickTDS
04-16-2009, 04:14 PM
im sorry but i cant follow you, well i do partially, the part where you say you are texturing something and the other part where it is a test. I assume you go to CG School of some sort, whats the deal ... can you explain this in any simpler terms ... perhaps ill just sleep its very late and try to understand it again in the morning :shrug:

divi
04-16-2009, 05:20 PM
i'd say it depends on whether or not you are allowed to use decals to solve the asymmetrical problem. hard to say anything specific without actually seeing the object.

good luck though :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2009, 05:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.