PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 2D - numabrush - The Forerunner

numabrush
03-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey All,

These are my final images. At some point you just have to call it done! I've learned so much doing this competition, so it was well worth it! I'm now going to enjoy some much needed rest! Shalom!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4textSheet_01.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4conceptSheet_01.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4modelSheet_01.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4beautyShot_01.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

^^ LATEST POST ^^

numabrush
03-23-2009, 04:53 AM
So I've had a little bit of time to develop the look of my norm warlord. I am also developing his story, but more on that later:)
I'm very excited to see all the work everybody is doing!

Here are some initial doodles.

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4doodles_01.jpg

I've also worked on a more refined thumbnail to start problem solving his armor. At this time, a lot of the details are missing, but this captures a little bit of the direction I want to take with him.

I plan on posting weekly with actual updates. But I will check back often to answer questions and enjoy feedback! Thanks!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4thumbs_01.jpg

ersinerturk
03-23-2009, 07:20 AM
you are very good at anatomy and armor silhouettes. first and second figures in first row are great. also 2nd of 2nd row is the most different one. no weapon, just shield, or shields as weapon. liked a lot.
in your last figure (big one) he has a very strong pose with his cloak and lion-head. also i'd like to see some action sketches of this character.
btw, after some progress you can find something to make it more original, it's just a matter of time.
keep going!

Pitts
03-23-2009, 07:25 AM
great stuff!

I also like number 2 in both rows. dual shield weilding - that's pretty original :)

wiFLP
03-23-2009, 02:02 PM
the best i've seen for now x)

numabrush
03-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Hey all! Thanks for the replies. I will not be going with the dual shield character, though I do agree that it has a strong silhouette. However, it does not fit the character's story.

I've been trying to develop the armor design recently as I feel that is the most challenging part of this character. There are so many armored character designs out there that it is very hard to be original. So we'll see. I think I will decorate his armor with some intricate designs and details.

I am also playing around with some ideas for his crown. Because my character is not just a warlord but also a king. And of course, his sword has had zero thought at this point. I am trying to develop the sword design into something a lot more fun and satisfying. I will have a huge progress update by sunday evening or monday morning coming up. So stay tuned!

Matt

numabrush
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Does anybody know if the final 2D image can have your character in battle against his enemies? Or is the final image suppose to be just a picture of your character? Thoughts?

saint-max
03-25-2009, 06:07 PM
really cool stuff looking forward to c how u r going to finish it. and for the final piece its completely up to u... an action pose would do

nellement
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
2 and 6 or 4 and 6 together could be cool in my opinion,nice sketches

Gyorkland
03-25-2009, 07:03 PM
WOw your last sketch is awesome dude this is really great, ohh and from the first sketches from left to righ my favourite is #4 but #6 has an interesting shape.

Xillion
03-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Beautiful sketches. I love the dual shield wielding man. The rendition of the man with the lion shoulder il clean and cool. Keep it up.

numabrush
03-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm very happy to hear that the final piece can have your character in action against his opposition. That can make for a really thrilling composition!

Thanks for the comments, I am developing some other refined thumbnails at the moment and will have them posted either Sunday evening or on Monday.

Thanks for stopping by!

Matt

aeonseraph
03-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi there,

Really cool concepts here.
My personal favourites are the 1st and 8th. :thumbsup:
Keep up the good work, and good luck to you :beer:

rhemrev
03-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Nice thumbs and first rendition! All looks very solid and clean, but I can't help but feel that it's all a bit standard. I think you'll have to push your idea, because you defnitely have the skills to do someting visually stunning. Do you have a backstory for this character? This helpes tremendously when developing a character....and it would be cool if he's in the middle of something, actually doing something, instead of posing....:) Also, maybe add a mount or pet he interacts with or something, having a relation between 2 characters also helps alot!

but, as with so many threads, you too are probably just warming up :)

Cheers,
-Edwin

numabrush
03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
All looks very solid and clean, but I can't help but feel that it's all a bit standard. I think you'll have to push your idea, because you defnitely have the skills to do someting visually stunning. Do you have a backstory for this character? This helpes tremendously when developing a character....and it would be cool if he's in the middle of something, actually doing something, instead of posing....:) Also, maybe add a mount or pet he interacts with or something, having a relation between 2 characters also helps alot!

Edwin! I appreciate your honesty! I completely agree with you:) That is the challenge for this character is that armored characters are very common and thus difficult to come up with original designs for. So I am most certainly developing that.
I do have a backstory in the works. All I can say at this point is the character is of royalty. So his armor must be very extravagant and unique.
I was considering giving him a powerful white horse with rippling muscles! But I don't want it to steal the show, so we'll see.
I am also working on some different poses and angles to find the best way to present him. I am interested in having him in battle against the demonic hordes in my final image. We shall see!

Thanks again!
Matt

Ferx
03-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Hey Matthew,

Really nice thumbnails and sketch. Agree with rehmrev :) and think the same, you have the skills to make a incredible concept for sure :) Part of the fun on this challenge is to explore new directions and variations, and your idea for the horse sounds really cool. Again, great work and cant wait to see more updates! :D Cheers!! :beer:

rabidfox
03-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Wow! I really like your style. He's got a strong stance, good proportions, and very interesting suit and armor. That is something I always have trouble with, suiting up my characters, but you seem to have worked out some nice layers that seem to protect, fit comfortably, and let him move about. I also love the huge straight blade. The giant curved blade with funky designs around the base is becoming a bit too cliche. Yours is like a broad-bastard sword. Nice.

A lot of the silhouettes are awesome, with good armor, but you have taken the right direction, I think. Good job and good luck. Yours will definitely be one I keep an eye on

numabrush
03-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Hey Matthew,

Really nice thumbnails and sketch. Agree with rehmrev :) and think the same, you have the skills to make a incredible concept for sure :) Part of the fun on this challenge is to explore new directions and variations, and your idea for the horse sounds really cool. Again, great work and cant wait to see more updates! :D Cheers!! :beer:

Thanks! I'll do my best to make it unique!

Thanks for all the encouragement everybody!

DeadInTheAttic
03-25-2009, 11:27 PM
When it comes to exaggerations. Whether the sword, the armor or whatsover. This comic-like style of exaggeration makes him look powerful. Keep on going.

m3ng
03-26-2009, 05:02 AM
Hey matt. I'm liking some of the stuff going on, but wondering how functional the super long straight hat is. It looks like it'd fall right off the moment he moves his head. Also, all the ribbonlike cloth moving around is pretty cool, but his pose looks extremely static. You might want to see what a more dynamic pose could do to help tell the story behind this character.

Nice progress! keep it up! One of these days I'll do a DW entry...lol!

numabrush
03-26-2009, 05:40 AM
Hey matt. I'm liking some of the stuff going on, but wondering how functional the super long straight hat is. It looks like it'd fall right off the moment he moves his head. Also, all the ribbonlike cloth moving around is pretty cool, but his pose looks extremely static. You might want to see what a more dynamic pose could do to help tell the story behind this character.

Nice progress! keep it up! One of these days I'll do a DW entry...lol!

LOL Matt! Hey man! Thanks for checking in! The hat is actually a crown! haha Because my character is of royalty. I'm developing different designs for it as we speak. But I do want it to be epic and unusual. So we'll see! I don't mind if in real life it would fall right off lol, I want it to look cool:)
Yeah, the pose is pretty static. It is the first of six thumbnails I am doing for the challenge. I'm working on the forth right now. I'm trying different angles and poses. Some of them hopefully are more dynamic. We shall see! I can show a few to you tomorrow at work.

StefanoDubay
03-26-2009, 05:53 AM
a demon slayer!!! YEEEAAAA!!!
c'mon puny humans ... fight!
very cool! have u tried a more barbed blade?
cheers
S

ShogunWarrior
03-26-2009, 10:19 AM
I really enjoyed looking at your sketches and it seems you got this down good. Can't wait to see the final result, take care for now.

conor
03-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I really like where you are going with this one , so far is great!

GregStrangis
03-26-2009, 11:40 PM
That last pic is wicked cool! I am sure once you develop him a little more as these are just your sketches he will be ready to slay any Demon lord! Keep up the good work dude!

rhemrev
03-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Numabrush: hehe, no sweat, just trying to push your creative buttons to make you go beyond where no man,woman or whitehorseridingsuperduperarmourwearingbigswordholding man has gone before! :D

Looking forward to the update!

-Edwin

madbot
03-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Mate, awesome work! But don't worry too much about originality just yet. I feel that when you have your intial ideas out in front of you, you have no choice but to think of more unique options for your character... and as rhemrev says you definitely have the skills to do something great. Keep going.

whiterat
03-27-2009, 01:18 AM
I love the concepts and I love the last one!!! excelent work! Iīll be here waiting the next update!

numabrush
03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Here is an update. I've played around with different poses and subtle design possibilities! Let me know what yall think! Thanks!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4thumbs_02.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4thumbs_03.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4thumbs_04.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4thumbs_05.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Matt

GregStrangis
03-29-2009, 09:05 PM
The first and the 3rd are nice poses, would love to see 1 of him ready to swing that giant blade of his, or maybe a defensive pose as well? Keep em coming man looking forward to more :applause:

saint-max
03-29-2009, 09:10 PM
the 3rd one is more dynamic and give the character more heroic pose ... go for it :D

Zephyri
03-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Veery awesome looking concepts in here... I love the mantle he's wearing, the lion/goat combo is fabulous. I love the fact you've given him an almost norse feel, he really comes across as a battle king. Like the third of the four options you've posted above, but not sure I'm sold on the floating ribbons behind him he would almost come off stronger without as part of his silhouette.

MartinNielsen
03-29-2009, 10:48 PM
The multiple heads is a nice design choice. But somehow the character seems to be physically limited by them. Looks great though :)

PeterBraeley
03-29-2009, 10:49 PM
nice to see something different other than demons, or maybe its just me looking at demons anyways awesome sketches and your skill is so clean, can't wait to see more!!

Keep it going!!!

lefoosh
03-29-2009, 11:35 PM
hey, really like your choice of character, think he'll make a really strong piece!

for such a battlelord, though, i would think furs would make more choice than a cape? maybe a mix of feathers and fur, like the pelt of a griffin if you want to keep that broken flow to his silhouette?

whiterat
03-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Great character! great concept! great skills! looking forward to see the end result, Iīm sure it will be great!.

nellement
03-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Really great design,they are all great.

m3ng
03-31-2009, 12:15 AM
These are looking great, Matt!

I like the 3rd the best, but I have a few questions you might want to think about. Most viewers will not know your character's background or story, so depicting that visually gives him more depth and believability.

He seems to be gesturing to something off screen. This might make him a little less dominant, as he is more of a transitional visual element directing your eye to the right. He is also glancing to the right. You might want to think about what kind of expression would help us know what kind of character he is. The lion head currently has a more dynamic expression than the king! On that note, the bison/ox head has a closed, non-threatening expression and the lion has a snarled, open mouth. Is this as designed? Might want to push it more, if so, making the bison head even more passive and peaceful....or balance it a bit by closing the lion mouth. I know it looks cool, tho...

He seems to be floating. Is he flying? If so, is it magic or some sort of technology? How does he relate to his environment in this pose?

Great stuff matt! keep developing! You have great drawing skillz

numabrush
04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey all! Thanks for the comments!

I haven't been able to do much this week, but i'm going to try and flush out the rest of his design this weekend sometime and complete the turnarounds. Doing the turnarounds will really help me finalize his design for the final piece. When they are done, then I will begin doing thumbnails for the final composition.

I also hope to post an update on the story this weekend too.

Again, thanks for the comments, they really help me to think from different angles when finalizing my design.

Take care!
Matt

DeadInTheAttic
04-04-2009, 10:45 PM
;)

His shoulders make look him like a real king. And kings are know to be the best warriors. I like that idea of such shoulders.

JRBarton
04-05-2009, 02:51 AM
This is looking amazing!! Keep it going DEWD :)

Yin-Shiuan
04-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I really so like his "shoulder".:cool:
Good character!

nickz
04-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Very cool stuff Matt....can't wait to see the finished piece!

JRBarton
04-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Cool back story. has lots of imagery. Cant wait to see the final BATTLE :)

numabrush
04-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Hey Everybody!

Sorry for the delay, I was unable to make any progress last week.

Here is an update for the final design of my character. It's still a work in progress, but doing the turnarounds has really helped me to commit to certain aspects of his look. I know it looks pretty busy, but in the final painting a lot of these shapes will show up more clearly, if I can do my job right:)

To avoid confusion, this is what my characters armor will look under the Lion and Ox heads. The Lion and Ox heads that were on his shoulders in previous images will still be there in the final image. I left them out here because they are actually part of the mantle/robe he wears over what you see below, so I will be showing that in another drawing by itself.

I will also be drawing him from the side as well as finalizing the look of his sword, cape/mantle/robe and crown soon.

Stay tuned!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4turnarounds_WIP01.jpg

GregStrangis
04-09-2009, 07:02 AM
That is great man, He looks so badass even without the extra armor on. I plan on starting a character right after I finish my DW4 one and I am slowly falling in love with this guy!

JRBarton
04-09-2009, 03:26 PM
This is looking good Matt! I'm ready for some battle action poses. Keep up the awesome work buddy.

numabrush
04-10-2009, 05:23 AM
I drew up his profile for the turnarounds this evening. I'm going to try and post more regularly my work in progress. Enjoy!

This weekend I will hopefully finalize his crown, his mantle (lion and ox) and his powerful sword that will melt all demonic opposition!!!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4turnarounds_WIP02.jpg

g3p
04-10-2009, 04:38 PM
wow!
really nice sketches and thumbs. like a comic book hero and i'm really like this.
i like to a lion head under shoulders but eagle it's nice too.

good job. i want see more. congratulations!

numabrush
04-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey g3p!

So that you know, his shoulders will still have the Lion and the Ox on them. They will cover most of the eagle feathers, but you will still see the eagle heads across his chest area.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Matt

numabrush
04-11-2009, 10:36 PM
So I've spent the afternoon trying to come up with the final look of his lion/ox mantle. The thing is, the mantle/robe he has on is actually alive. So whatever version I go with, the final illustration will depict it with a very active feel. Like it has a mind of its own. I'm not really sure which route to take, so any opinions are welcome. I'm kinda stumped.

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4robes_01.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

DefiledVisions
04-11-2009, 11:38 PM
I really like your concept so far. Character looking great so far, love the details and the idea of having a living mantle.

I like the two concepts to the right the most. They portray most life to me. Bottom left seems too heavy and stiff to be alive.. though I don't know how you could bring the living mantle further.. small flickering furr-parts? Talismans attached to the mantle with symbols and signs on them, could give the viewer the idea they're giving the mantle life.
Maybe even have your sword attached to the mantle some way, by chains or something, the swords powerful spirit enchants the mantle and gives it life.. sorry Im not supposed to brainstorm for you!
haha looking forward for more :D I really like what you got so far though.. your king seems like the kind of challenge my Demon Prince is searching for

On a sidenote; I think pose 2 and 3 further back are most interesting. Both have a victorious feeling to them

GregStrangis
04-11-2009, 11:42 PM
I am favoring the top 2 the most as everything this year seems to be demons of some sorts. It would be fresh to see more angelic characters. And it looks pretty bad ass as well!

nickz
04-12-2009, 03:10 AM
I wonder what the last drawing would look like with the wings! It is all looking very cool. Like the 1st and second one a lot! :)

Peace-NZ

nikostoyanov
04-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Really like your designs mate. You're an inspiration to watch! keep up the good work:thumbsup:

numabrush
04-13-2009, 04:35 AM
Hey Everybody!
Thanks for the encouraging words and your thoughts! I really appreciate them. I am behind on my schedule for where I should be right now so I really need to finish up this design so that I can get to work on the final illustration. With what I have planned, I'll probably need to use all my free time to get it done how I want by the deadline! haha

I hate to do this, but for time's sake, I have to go with the bottom right version. I have some neat thoughts about what to do with it, and it is simple enough to implement and won't over complicate my picture. I like the potential in the upper images to use the wings as a covering and unleash them in full battle array, but I just don't have the time for that to be a possibility.

I also realized I need to come up with a slick way of presenting my stuff! This will be my greatest challenge! haha

Take care!
Matt

numabrush
04-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Hello again!

So I did some work on the turnarounds with his mantle on. It's nice to start to see him in the round. Now I get to polish his sword and crown! Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow, and after that, get busy with the final illustration!

Oh, on another note. I am thinking of lighting the bottom of his mantle on fire. With smoke coming out of the tips. Weird, but its what I see in my head.

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4turnarounds_WIP03.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4turnarounds_WIP04.jpg

Thanks for visiting!
Matt

JRBarton
04-13-2009, 03:10 PM
This is looking really good Matt. Now give an action pose ;)

ChaosShannon
04-15-2009, 05:02 AM
wow i like the way your is coming out thanks for the comment. So how long did it take for you to come up with your idea. can not wait to see the end product.

Sellis
04-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi,

i'm seeing some great work here, im particularly fond of the blade hovering above the hilt. Its looking very 'holy' at the moment, the living mantles an awesome idea and the flaming/smoking mantle is very cool. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing this in some dynamiv poses.

numabrush
04-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Sellis, Thanks man! I like your work a lot! I'm actually having a hard time coming up with dynamic poses. I have him in different poses in another post I did further back, but I don't think they'll do for my final image. I've posted a thumbnail for the direction I was thinking for the final. It shows off a good amount of his design while being semi action oriented.

Chaosshannon, Thanks for the kind comments. It didn't take too long to come up with my idea really. I just knew I wanted to depict a holy human warlord. So the question became, 'what does holy look like?'.

Hey everybody,
Here is an update I have for the sword. Though I didn't show it in this image, I am leaning in the direction of having the sword blade engulfed in flames. We'll see how it works with the final composition.

I've also posted a thumb of the direction I was thinking for my final image. Hope it makes sense!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4weapon_01.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP01.jpg

Thanks for visiting!
Matt

NH
04-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Nothing to say but gorgeous ! Your line is terrific keep it up !
Cheers

alexy
04-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Hello, I really like your character :p Lot of details and of course I like the sword in the first page of your thread :)

I prefere the eagle's spaulder because the one with the lion and the goat (:p) seems to be a bit too heavy for a warrior. I mean, it's a war, people need light stuff :p I also like the tattoos in the animal's face :)

Great work, can't wait for the next ;)

JRBarton
04-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Awesome!!! This is looking sweet. I would make the handle a bit longer and thicker. Also I would add some feathers to the two bird heads on either side of the face. They look bald plus it will fit with the wings on the handle.

Keep up the awesomeness Matt!!

DanielCortes
04-16-2009, 01:32 AM
it's a pity I missed out on so much of your work, you obviously know what your doing great flow, very steady, and good to learn from. well from now on you can count on my 2 cents for the next month, not even, wow.
I also agree that the animal heads look great but don't look practical, and that will disturb when appreciating your final comp, and we don't wan that. But they also just look so cool, hmm maybe you can make them look like spirits little translucent or maybe floating a little, just an idea. keep it up man. :beer:

numabrush
04-16-2009, 04:26 AM
I also agree that the animal heads look great but don't look practical, and that will disturb when appreciating your final comp, and we don't wan that. But they also just look so cool, hmm maybe you can make them look like spirits little translucent or maybe floating a little, just an idea. keep it up man. :beer:

Hey live2contage!
It's funny you say that, to make them look like spirits and a little translucent, because that is exactly what my plan was!!! LOL! Amazing! We'll see if I have the skills to paint it. I picture them almost like they are on fire, but not so overpowering, visually speaking.

Thanks for the kind words!

Hey everybody,
I didn't have much time to develop anything tonight, but I played with some other ideas for the sword trying to finalize the look. Let me know what yall think and if one seems obviously better than another. (ignore the awful fire rendering)

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4weapon_02.jpg

Thanks for visiting!
Matt

capncookie
04-16-2009, 06:24 AM
I like the first sword more. The last one seems a bit too much.

vegasmike
04-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Great work man! Very clean, professional!

numabrush
04-16-2009, 01:29 PM
I like the first sword more. The last one seems a bit too much.

Yea, I totally agree!

BaronImpossible
04-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Nice concept characters. I like the sword on the left best. Good luck!

JRBarton
04-16-2009, 02:15 PM
The first sword by far!!!
It looks more powerfull than before; the bloodgrove helpped the look of the blade too .
The flame blade is too weak. Mabe you could have the blade on the first sword look like it was just pulled from the fire and glowing with a little smoke rising from it. Just a thought if you want to have a burnning blade rather than using flames.

Looking good Matt!!!

DanielCortes
04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
well thatís not a surprise it-s happened to me several times so far in this comp, people throw out an idea and it helps confirm that yes you do have brilliant ideas, ha! :arteest: and judging from you work I think we have similar taste, anyhow I think the idea could work nicely, I think with some strong brush work and then giving them some transparency you could get a nice look. To spiritualize them you could give them some subtle steam thatís blowing in the direction of the wind (add to the action). I was also think you could to something like that to the sward, to give it all the same kind of magic, or that the spirits are part of the swards consciousness. Try adding some soft smoke (like when you turn of a candle, if you turn on one spot light in a dark room youíll see an incredible effect). Anyhow there you have some ideas to play with, hope you like them or that they confirm more of your brilliant ideas, ha! All the best amigo, and congratulations your on the first page, almost 3000 views, keep it up! :beer:

GaeasHerald
04-16-2009, 06:13 PM
I can't believe I've missed this thread, this concept is so cool. I like the sword on the left too. :thumbsup:

Chachi
04-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Great thread, I love the designs. I think that he feels more druidic or like a shaman rather than a warlord, especially with the tall hat. Good luck!

CurtisRU
04-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Great style man, and a killer character!
The ram/lion headed cape w/ the eagle armor really tie in well together.
Nice composition on the battle image as well, although id love to see more of that eagle armor.
I'm totally keeping an eye out for some updates,
Hope to see you around.

skylngtr22
04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
keep it up !!! this is coming along very nice!@!

Zilla4Rilla
04-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Hey Matt! It's Patrick...I just want to say, that these designs are amazing. As far as the swords go, I do have to agree with the earlier comment that the third design is a bit too busy, and that the first one is (in my opinion) perfect. I can't wait to see the updates.

I showed Kim and her family and they think your work is awesome, keep it up!

numabrush
04-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Here is an update for the final image. I'm not sure how I feel about his pose at this point. It has been a difficult thing for me to figure out. I do know for sure what the context of the image will be though. The king will be inside of the demonic dimension, (you can see a magical norm city in the background through the dimensional opening) and he'll be battling lots of demons!

I'm open to suggestions! Time is running out! It's gonna be a close one.

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP02.jpg

Thanks for visiting!
Matt

GregStrangis
04-19-2009, 08:52 AM
hey man, like this idea for a start pose but right now the main focal point my eye is being drawn to is that magical city not the hero, maybe you can add another point of interest as to make it a gold section of some sort or more of a left or right carre, Im sure what ever you decide you will push it to be awesome so good luck man!

DanielCortes
04-20-2009, 01:09 AM
I would love to see the huge head of a demon under his right food, I think that will help the viewer envision his power, and his size has nothing to do with his ability to finish off all rivals. :buttrock: we shall prevail :beer:

numabrush
04-21-2009, 09:29 PM
hey man, like this idea for a start pose but right now the main focal point my eye is being drawn to is that magical city not the hero, maybe you can add another point of interest as to make it a gold section of some sort or more of a left or right carre, Im sure what ever you decide you will push it to be awesome so good luck man!

GregStrangis!
I do agree with you. I'll work this out as I go to make sure everybody's eye is drawn to him as the main focus. So we'll see how it goes.

I would love to see the huge head of a demon under his right food, I think that will help the viewer envision his power, and his size has nothing to do with his ability to finish off all rivals. :buttrock: we shall prevail :beer:

Live2contage!
I hadn't seen your post and I was just thinking of sticking a demon under one of his feet. Should be fun! I wasn't thinking of something gigantic, but we'll see, whatever fits the composition best!

Also, on another note, I've totally redrawn him so that his pose has more power and is more dynamic, while still showing off a good amount of his design. As I develop it further I will post the update:)

Thanks!
Matt

numabrush
04-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Hey Matt! It's Patrick...I just want to say, that these designs are amazing. As far as the swords go, I do have to agree with the earlier comment that the third design is a bit too busy, and that the first one is (in my opinion) perfect. I can't wait to see the updates.

I showed Kim and her family and they think your work is awesome, keep it up!

Forgot to reply! Thanks Patrick! I need encouragement because I'm very tired from working so much!

Also, thanks to everyone else who's offered kind words! Much peace to you!

Matt

BaronImpossible
04-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Good start, I like the figure although I think he would look more purposeful if he was swinging the sword with both hands and giving it a mighty heft. Also I'd make sure you don't make the background too bright and detract from the focus (you could get around that by using more pastel colours for the background and saturating them up front). Nice work, keep it up.

DanielCortes
04-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Shear genius, Iíve found my artistic twin :arteest: , well in taste anywayÖha! Looking forward to what you come up with and donít work yourself to hard. Sometimes it helps to give it a rest for a day or two and when you come back fresh your progress is outstanding, as always speaking from my limited experience. I also agree about the back ground, Anyhow go go go, this will be a great piece. All the best bro! :thumbsup:

numabrush
04-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Good start, I like the figure although I think he would look more purposeful if he was swinging the sword with both hands and giving it a mighty heft. Also I'd make sure you don't make the background too bright and detract from the focus (you could get around that by using more pastel colours for the background and saturating them up front). Nice work, keep it up.

I had a lot of trouble coming up with his pose. A LOT of trouble lol. But I've totally reworked this pose so this is out dated. I'm at work right now, but I will try to post it tonight. I agree with you about making him more purposeful. I tried so many different swing angles and stuff, but none really presented his actual design very strongly. So the new one isn't so ambiguous, but he's not swinging anymore. It's mostly just an 'I'm powerful' pose in the midst of all the demons.
Yea, I'll make sure the character is the focus by the end:)

Thanks!
Matt

numabrush
04-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Hey everybody! It's coming down to the wire!

Ok, I had to rework his final pose for the final illustration. I like this new pose much better and I think that is what I need to be fully motivated till the end! I'm starting to see it and that helps! Depending on how it develops I will probably change his face to be looking at whatever the main opposing force is. We'll see!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP03.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

DanielCortes
04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
yes, yes, yes...much better, excellent, Im loving it. Somebody's skull will be crushed :applause: , ouch, well they had it coming, anyhow just keep it up this is the right direction, and all your work is paying of, now lets do it. I can already envisions the light of the city shining of the edge of his sword, this will be a powerful comp. all the best amigo :beer:

MrRico
04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Great composition man! Is coming like it started, really nice! Keep it up!

Ricardo
---------
My DWIV entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746170)

numabrush
04-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Hey All,

Here is an update on the progress of my final painting. I have to work in black and white first because I'm so pressed for time. I also usually work my whole composition at the same time, so this is very strange for me to show only the character out of context. It is what it is:) lol

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP04.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

nickz
04-28-2009, 04:53 AM
This is looking awesome Matt! You do great work buddy! :)

ChaosShannon
04-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Wow Look amazing man Keep going, Like the way the lion and the buffalo came out..

ChaosShannon
DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5834828#post5834828)

numabrush
04-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks yall! I still plan on adding more power to the lion and ox. This black and white painting just gives me a good starting place for adding my color and final render overtop it.

I like the way it's coming out, but unfortunately because of his sword, he'll have to be a lot smaller in the final composition, which kinda stinks. But it's what I have to run with for now.

numabrush
05-04-2009, 05:01 AM
Here's an update. Working in the context now. I pulled his head out a little bit. I may making him facing one of the demons specifically, we'll see. I kinda slacked this weekend and now I'm wondering if I can finish! Enjoy!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP05.jpg

Take care!
Matt

nickz
05-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Looking really cool Matt! Have you tried to extend out his left leg like his right? Seems offf balance to me now. Looks like he is hovering in the air, if that is what you are going for then you might want to do something similar with the left leg!

peace bro!

DanielCortes
05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
great work, it realy is coming along nicely. I dont have much technical training so I don't think I'll be much use from now on ha! but I really like how the whole thing is coming together. Are you still thinking of making the animals spirit like, becouse their looking quit solid and heavy, I think that idea would work nicely and give off a powerful touch. the black othe the borders gives it a lot of deapth. anyhow just keep giving it all youv got. big hug!

m3ng
05-05-2009, 01:11 AM
Nickz is a master of anatomy. I think he is onto something, but for me it's the perspective on his left leg that bothers me more. It looks a little flat, like a side view. His hips are more facing us, so that kind of angle on the thigh looks a little painful.

The silhouette of his left arm down to his hand holding the sword is also a little lost. I know it's tucked behind him, but cramping down his form this much takes away from his character, which is majestic and powerful. Have you tried raising and rotating his sword arm to form more of an "S" shape, and look like he is gonna do some serious slashing? I think his lowered sword arm is what's making him look so defensive. Unless that's what you wanted.

Just trying to be helpful, Matt! It's looking pretty cool.

numabrush
05-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Hey guys! Thanks for the comments!

Looking really cool Matt! Have you tried to extend out his left leg like his right? Seems offf balance to me now. Looks like he is hovering in the air, if that is what you are going for then you might want to do something similar with the left leg!

Nick! He is floating. lol It is what it is! I tried for a while to get him a solid battle stance with his feet planted but could not find anything i really liked. So now he's just floating his way to victory! I could do a quick sketch of his other leg extended and see how it looks. If it helps the composition I'll keep it! We'll see!

great work, it realy is coming along nicely. I dont have much technical training so I don't think I'll be much use from now on ha! but I really like how the whole thing is coming together. Are you still thinking of making the animals spirit like, becouse their looking quit solid and heavy, I think that idea would work nicely and give off a powerful touch. the black othe the borders gives it a lot of deapth. anyhow just keep giving it all youv got. big hug!

Hey man, I have not forgotten about making those heads spirit like. I've never really painted anything like that so i'm saving it till the end with the rest of the effects. So, before this is all over I will at least give it a go. If it works out, i'll keep it for the final image! Thanks for the encouragement!

Nickz is a master of anatomy. I think he is onto something, but for me it's the perspective on his left leg that bothers me more. It looks a little flat, like a side view. His hips are more facing us, so that kind of angle on the thigh looks a little painful.

The silhouette of his left arm down to his hand holding the sword is also a little lost. I know it's tucked behind him, but cramping down his form this much takes away from his character, which is majestic and powerful. Have you tried raising and rotating his sword arm to form more of an "S" shape, and look like he is gonna do some serious slashing? I think his lowered sword arm is what's making him look so defensive. Unless that's what you wanted.

Mr. Eng! I see what you mean about his bent leg not really going with the perspective. If i keep his leg bent I will fix that. As far as the sword and arm I think it does look cramped. I may take a second pass at that to make it better, but I doubt i will make him swinging the sword. Mostly because that won't work well without readjusting the rest of his body to work with it. And that was something I couldn't get right when i was making thumbnails. So i'll try to fix the 'cramped' feeling if time permits!

Here is what I was able to accomplish today. It is realllllly busy right now, but its starting to come together. Hopefully as i refine the creatures they will be less distracting and more beneficial to the composition. Not much finished rendering here, the lighting is all crazy. It'll come around:) Enjoy!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP06.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

walrus
05-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Really nice rendering style! I like the layout too - the monsters all around are a great frame for him. good luck finishing it! :thumbsup:

ChaosShannon
05-05-2009, 10:17 PM
like it! Are u going to leave it in black and white and add touches of color to it or is it all going to be in color? either way it looking good!

DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158)

numabrush
05-05-2009, 11:02 PM
like it! Are u going to leave it in black and white and add touches of color to it or is it all going to be in color? either way it looking good!

Hey ChaosShannon! I will be adding color for sure! The reason I'm working in black and white first is nail down the value range. (to get a nice range of blacks to whites) It's good practice to just paint the whole thing with color from the start, but doing it this way is quicker for me. And because I'm pressed for time, its the way I gotta do it!

I'm hoping to finish the black and white by Thursday evening so that on Saturday I can start to color it and begin to finalize!

numabrush
05-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Another update. I put his bent leg in a more 3 quarter view to fit his hips better. I continued further in refining the other characters in the background. Now I am going to try to finish the black and white by the end of the day Thursday and start on the color over the weekend.

Also, on another note, when I am in photoshop, the blacks are not as dark. Does anybody know if maybe it is showing up darker because of how I saved it? I used the 'save for web' feature. Anyways, enjoy!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP07.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

blackSTATIK
05-06-2009, 01:59 PM
GREAT WORK MATT!! I love the concept, and of course the it's coming out great. Keep it up!!

J

numabrush
05-08-2009, 04:06 AM
Another update. Once again, just trying to get a first pass on the whole piece before I move into the color phase!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP08.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

nickz
05-08-2009, 02:04 PM
YYYYEEEEEEESSSSS! :) :) Looking great! Now on to the color! :)

numabrush
05-08-2009, 08:50 PM
YYYYEEEEEEESSSSS! :) :) Looking great! Now on to the color! :)

Thanks Nick! I'm going to paint the upper half of the comp and then move on to colors this weekend. Hopefully it comes together:)

ShogunWarrior
05-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Hey Matthew,

Your work is amazing. You have great talent from start to finish. You probably win on our team. Im new to this war and this is my first entry into anything. I just can't wait to see it in color and if i was the judge you win first place! we only have 9 days left so gl to you man..peace..

GaeasHerald
05-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Awesome dude, can't wait for colours!

numabrush
05-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Your work is amazing. You have great talent from start to finish. You probably win on our team. Im new to this war and this is my first entry into anything. I just can't wait to see it in color and if i was the judge you win first place! we only have 9 days left so gl to you man..peace..

Shogun, that is very flattering, thank you for the encouragement:) There is so much great work in this competition that I feel sorry for the judges who have to pick. Right now I'm just hoping I can finish! :)

Awesome dude, can't wait for colors!

Gaeas, thanks! Here is my very first pass at colors I developed tonight. It is a long way off from complete. And if you were wondering, the main character will have a little bit of self illumination going on.

WOW i have a lot to do!!! Thanks for the encouragement everybody!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP09.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP10.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

MartinNielsen
05-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Seeing it with colors makes it much better :thumbsup: Great choice of colors.

Ataulfo
05-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Great stuff. Very nice character and awesome final image.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nickz
05-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Awwwwww snap! Awesome Matt! Finish him! No mercy! :) :)

conor
05-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Really nice man, i think this is one of the best postings yet.
Your anatomy is very good. You really know how to frame your composition with all those pointing fingers and demons looking at the main character. When you put the color on top of the values , which BTW are great, did you use overlay??Keep working on it is amazing.
niko

DanielCortes
05-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Excellent work, its really taking shape, Iím also enjoying the colors, are you thinking of keeping the daemons un saturated, if you are I thinks itís a good idea because it draws more attention to the main guy. If you also keep them rather dark you wont have to work on their rendering as much. I envision them even a little darker to the point you donít notice them first glance and then as you focus more you keep exploring all the dudes, something like that. As you finish up Iím sure a lot of the lines will be gone and youíll have more of a solid feel. Anyhow I think this will be one great Illustration, keep it up bro! :D

numabrush
05-13-2009, 06:00 AM
Seeing it with colors makes it much better :thumbsup: Great choice of colors.

Thanks Martin! I never really have a full understanding of what I'll be doing with the colors when I start. So most likely things will adapt and change as I progress.

Great stuff. Very nice character and awesome final image.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Ataulfo! Hopefully it comes how I want it too!

Awwwwww snap! Awesome Matt! Finish him! No mercy! :) :)

Nick! Thanks for always encouraging me!

Really nice man, i think this is one of the best postings yet.
Your anatomy is very good. You really know how to frame your composition with all those pointing fingers and demons looking at the main character. When you put the color on top of the values , which BTW are great, did you use overlay??Keep working on it is amazing.
niko

Hey Conor! Usually the starting place for me is to add color using the 'color' layer option. Some people use overlay, but i find that doesn't give you the exact color you have selected. The color layer option will simply put the exact color you have over a black and white image, coloring it. After this i still suggest painting over top to help break up the monocromatic feel though:)

Excellent work, its really taking shape, Iím also enjoying the colors, are you thinking of keeping the daemons un saturated, if you are I thinks itís a good idea because it draws more attention to the main guy. If you also keep them rather dark you wont have to work on their rendering as much. I envision them even a little darker to the point you donít notice them first glance and then as you focus more you keep exploring all the dudes, something like that. As you finish up Iím sure a lot of the lines will be gone and youíll have more of a solid feel. Anyhow I think this will be one great Illustration, keep it up bro! :D

Live2contage! Thanks for sticking with me on this! I'm actually having trouble getting the background guys to the value I want. When I paint in photoshop they are much lighter than when I post the image on the net, annnd when i paint in painter. So things are weird. By the end, hopefully the eye will be at peace looking at the main character, and then enjoy a little walk around the rest of the piece to eventually rest once again on the main character. I did some work on the shoulders...right now they look like hot metal instead of ethereal...so i'm still working on that... hehe.

Another update! Some work on the main character. I have some visual goals to hit for him so he'll be a challenge!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP11.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

numabrush
05-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Looking at it now, most likely I will make his shoulders a different look than his legs. Its too much right now i think.

Shalom!
Matt

numabrush
05-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Another update:) It's getting there. I've tried two nights in a row to refine the last human city in the background, within the portal, but landscapes are not my specialty! This is the next thing I have to resolve because it is a big source of light for the final image. Once I paint it I will then begin the final stage of lighting and making sure the eye is directed rightly.

My next update will most likely be my last:) And it will probably come either Sunday or Monday! Good luck everybody!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4final_WIP12.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

ChaosShannon
05-16-2009, 12:12 PM
nice visual on the character like way it coming. Good color choice, I can not wait to see everyone end result. This work you have is amazing rock on man rock on!:buttrock:

ChaosShannon
DwIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158&page=3&pp=15)

DanielCortes
05-18-2009, 12:48 AM
he's on fire! alright thats nice, your lighting is also looking good, in general it's exactly what I was expecting great job. One small thought. I would invest the rest of your time fixing up the dudes around him, because it look like the work put into them is inferior than the main guy witch would be normal. but if your shooting for something real pro, in my opinion everything needs to have the same quality standard (maybe the first row will be a little out of focus?).
So i guess what I'm saying is work work work. I'm going to be up all night (for the second time) and dont want to be the only one, ha! Tihie be cesher :beer:

numabrush
05-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Hey All,

These are my final images. At some point you just have to call it done! I've learned so much doing this competition, so it was well worth it! I'm now going to enjoy some much needed rest! Shalom!

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4textSheet_01.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4conceptSheet_01.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4modelSheet_01.jpg

http://www.numabrush.com/blog/DW4beautyShot_01.jpg

Thanks!
Matt

Yin-Shiuan
05-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Congratulations!:beer:
You are done it! Nice job!:)

nickz
05-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Awesome job buddy! Proud of ya! Turned out great! Good luck to you bud! :)

numabrush
05-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Congratulations!:beer:
You are done it! Nice job!:)

Yesssssss! haha Thanks Yin! Time to rest!

Awesome job buddy! Proud of ya! Turned out great! Good luck to you bud! :)

Thanks Nick, for all the encouragement you give me!

DanielCortes
05-21-2009, 07:39 PM
we made it, alright! excellent work, Iím glad your on our team, it was great having you around, and being able to follow your progress, I like your style and method, Iíll be trying it out in the future, seems faster, than the way I do thing, it could come in handy. Anyhow see you around bro. You should upload your work on your portfolio, there would be a lot of people interested in your work. See ya :beer:

numabrush
05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
we made it, alright! excellent work, Iím glad your on our team, it was great having you around, and being able to follow your progress, I like your style and method, Iíll be trying it out in the future, seems faster, than the way I do thing, it could come in handy. Anyhow see you around bro. You should upload your work on your portfolio, there would be a lot of people interested in your work. See ya :beer:

Hey Man! I appreciate all of your support:) Haha I'm not sure if i worked the fastest way. Maybe I would get into the color a lot quicker next time. I think that way you have a richer color palette in the end. Your painting really came together in the end, great job! I'm hesitant to put my portfolio in too many locations because I have a hard time keeping track of multiple sites. Of course for an artist, exposure is important, so we'll see:)

Thanks again! It was great painting with you!
Matt

MartinNielsen
05-21-2009, 09:46 PM
What a great final :thumbsup: The colers are so nice. Good luck :)

conor
05-21-2009, 11:39 PM
I have to say that this is one of the best ones for me. It has good composition and good anatomy. It also has a good idea and is a great painting. Great job !!!

niko

numabrush
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
What a great final :thumbsup: The colers are so nice. Good luck :)

Thanks MartinNielsen:)

I have to say that this is one of the best ones for me. It has good composition and good anatomy. It also has a good idea and is a great painting. Great job !!!

That is very nice of you conor:) It was a great learning experience that's for sure. One of the first times I've really tried to complete a whole scene in a long time. By the way, I really like your sword design!

Matt

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.