PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 2D - innate

Innate
03-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Update: Head sketches
http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/DWIV_NFH_HeadSketches.jpg
Norm Warlord

(Magic Item)
The seed of sentinels is of unknown origins. It has been handed down through a family of keepers beyond memory. This seed grants the protector immense power and strength. Purpose of the seed is to protect life and destroy all who set to destroy it. Sadly, the seed eventually consumes the wielder and the next heir is chosen. With each heir that is absorbed the seed grows and becomes a more powerful and larger thus needing a stronger heir to bear it. The roots are of organic magical solidness, harder than any metal.

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/DWIV_NFH_Sketches_1.jpg
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Yay, I finally get to start!

Got some thumbs down today. I知 still not completely sure what type of character I知 going to go with but I知 definitely leaning towards demon. (Even though there others in there) There are a few silhouettes that are standing out to me, but I知 not going to go into detail about them just yet. I知 might still do a few more tomorrow and I値l clarify my thoughts then as well.

I知 more curious to see if any stand out to you or not. Leave any comments if you feel like it, though that goes without saying. :) (blah I知 tired)

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/DWIV_NFH_Thumbs.jpg

kmanning
03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
great thumbs 2 and 10 are my personal favorite

ROBOTTANK
03-18-2009, 11:07 AM
nice..I can only narrow it down to four of them; 3, 15, 17, 19

VonMarsch
03-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Number 2 and 16 :drool:

Innate
03-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Due to a consensus among friends and such, I知 going to give #11 a shot for now. It痴 not in stone though because there were a few others that I liked a lot as well.

I should have done some more sketches today but I知 lame. I did explore with some body types today though. The first few were looking too generic but they gave me some good ref for the poses if I want to go back to them. I liked the roided out sumo wrestler but I should try playing some more body types and maybe alien elements. Oh yeah, and some poses where he might be attached to the giant 鍍hing. (Chained to it or something.) The one where he痴 holding it with one arm looks pretty bas-ass to me.

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/DWIV_NFH_Sketches.jpg

syrez-one
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
lol, what i giant weapon and very cool idea!! no one wants to get in the way of that thingy! you definatley need a strong anatomy to support it.. sketches are great und would love to see more thumbs sketched out!

solblomma
03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi,

Really liked your work for the mini-challenge.

This looks like a really interesting idea. Reminds me of a character from the Samurai Shodown universe (cant remember his name though).

Keep up the good work!

Best Regards,

Nicklas

Innate
03-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I just had to get this guy out of my system so I sketched him out quickly. This was the demon lord I was envisioning with #4. It was a giant mountainous demon slug that constantly vomits magma. I知 still working with the other guy though.

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/Volcanic_Slug.jpg

Ferx
03-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Hey Nate,

Really cool Thumbnails and sketches, like your concepts. The magma demon looks great! :) All the best, and looking forward for more updates! Cheers! :beer:

zeo-x
03-20-2009, 12:42 AM
thumbnail no#1, 2 and 10 feels very unique to me.. :) 10 the most.

Really liking the demon guy, and the guy holding a big weapon thing is so out of this world it just might work for this war! keep it up man.

Xidon
03-20-2009, 02:39 AM
I'm interested to see what you had in mind for #8. I didn't even see #11 till you developed it. Its amazing I'm glad you chose it, Its hilarious but so awesome. Will be wicked to see the weapon developed.

Innate
03-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Ok guys I think I致e narrowed down the concept. I致e done more sketches than this but I didn稚 want to overwhelm people with too much crap. I think I知 going to go with the 5th guy (in the roots and thorns concepts) but I like the extra limbs idea on the 4th guy.

He is a Norm Warlord, not a demon. I decided not to do a demon because one of Norms defining elements is that they possess a magical item. The item on this guy is pretty obvious. The judges seem pretty strict on no combinations and even though it would be cool with a demon holding this object I didn稚 want to be docked for doing so. Plus I like this concept quite a bit.

(Magic Item) The seed of sentinels is of unknown origins. It has been handed down through a family of keepers beyond memory. This seed grants the protector immense power and strength. Purpose of the seed is to protect life and destroy all who set to destroy it. Sadly, the seed eventually consumes the wielder and the next heir is chosen. With each heir that is absorbed the seed grows and becomes a more powerful and larger thus needing a stronger heir to bear it. The roots are of organic magical solidness, harder than any metal.

Now I have to try some seed concepts. I can稚 wait to start drawing him out and then painting him.

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/DWIV_NFH_Sketches_1.jpg

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/DWIV_NFH_Sketches_2.jpg

birdman03
03-22-2009, 03:33 AM
o~cool! the #4,the mountain demon,i misunderstood..it's a front-side view,right?
i thought it was a back-side view~and the 2 arms are on the same side(looks have 4 arms),that's cool to me!~maybe more arms(smaller maybe) would make it more powerful,ha
just personal feel~

thumbs up!~ the latest update is cool too!~

Intervain
03-22-2009, 03:46 AM
I really like #3 on the second sheet... with the crosses on the cloth

Innate
03-22-2009, 06:23 AM
birdman03 - Yeah, I have to admit its a strange silhouette. I really liked it and I think I'll have to use it for another painting.

Intervain - Thank you, I liked that one too. It went well with the concept I was had thought of earlier. I was thinking that he carried around his family tomb and his ancestors gave him his power. The tomb would grow in size and power with each beholder that died. The next heir would have to be stronger to bear* the burden.

komae
03-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey Nate,

I see you stopped by my thread so i thought i'd return the favor. Looking slick. I still think the previous bearers should be corpses attached to the seed. Got any more progress for us?

DeadInTheAttic
04-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Showing his strenght by lifting a thing that big.

komae
04-09-2009, 11:04 PM
The masses are restless, Nate. Show us some pretty sketches :)

Ataulfo
04-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Great stuff.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I like a lot you general portrait entry. This one also will be great.
keep it up:beer:

Innate
04-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Haha, thank you guys. Found some time to do some quick head variations. I think I like the bottom left one the most because it reminds me of a crescent moon. I did more side silhouette studies but the African tribal influence was really speaking to me. Tell me what you guys think. Unless my time really frees up I have my doubts about finishing. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

http://www.natehallinan.com/concept%20images/DWIV_NFH_HeadSketches.jpg

GaeasHerald
04-11-2009, 06:01 AM
This concept rocks :buttrock:My favourite head is the top right, but the bottom left is nice too.

ROBOTTANK
04-11-2009, 08:01 AM
I dig the bottom left one as well, but I gotta say the top right one is my favorite, that's just insanely bad ass! nice concepts man. oh, maybe try merging the two designs and see what comes out of that, just an idea..

xRaZx
04-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Top right one is my favorite as well. Things are looking good though. I particularly dig your sketchwork of the different body types holding "the thing" heheh. One thing I'll tell you right now is that the bigger the weapon is on your character, the smaller the character will have to be for your final image. I'm actually struggling with this right now. If you choose to include a giant weapon like that, with the entire thing in the picture frame for the final, I'd say make sure you stick to bigger, bolder design details for your character so they read well if they are smaller in the image. Good luck!

Yone
04-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I really like the design for the warlord. I think the first head design is the strongest as you can see more of the personality of the leader in it.

I'm really not sure about the signature weapon you've created. It's way too big! Instead of looking intimidating it just seems that he can't wield it properly. My first though was "stab the guy in the back and watch while the weight of his weapon crushed him."

The weapon could be 3/4 his height and it would still be large and it would be amore usable size. It also need distinct handles and a proper way of holding. Visually you don't how the weapon works and a warlord in my opinion should look intimidating from a far. People do not want to go near this guy. He i not just an ogre with the biggest club.

I really do like your work, I want to see more and ultimately its your creation you should do what you feel is right for your creative vision.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2009, 09:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.