PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 3D - ChicoKid - Rae

ChicoKid
03-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Okay. Competition will be fierce, but I learned a lot from the mini-challenge. As long as I improve, I will be pleased with my entry.

Here's the overview of the concept. Pics to follow.

Race: Norm
Class: Warlord
Weapon: Magic Armor with attached sword and shield. Size of armor TBD. I am debating making the character a little larger than lifesize vs. a size able to battle the 'War Machines'.

Don't have a definitive backstory yet, but basically Rae gave up her soul for this magic armor. She does not have any magical abilities, the magic of the armor is welded to her body and cannot be lost. It doesn't shoot beams or change anything, it's just an impenetrable armor of magic, literally. Without the magic, there is no weapon and nothing to protect her. Although it looks bulky, it is weightless to her and can move smoothly and quickly in battle.

Since our team colors are red and grey/black, the armor will be a shade of red. That's about all I know for now.

Good luck to all. Your work has been quite impressive, and I hope I can live up to the standards of our team.

ChicoKid
03-18-2009, 06:06 AM
So here is an early thought. They all change, so this is my thinking point for a week. I'll plan out armor details and her ethnicity, flaws, characteristics. But I like where this is going. Most important for me, I think it's do-able. Finishing the entry is important to me.

btw...i know the 2d work is derivative. I'm not a super artist, my strengths are in 3D.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/55/l_f82cdd0d1fd54aaab0bf47a5152e8ad2.jpg

GregStrangis
03-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey Chico, Like the idea of the female inside a Juggernaut, you have alot there you could play around with for that. Looking forward man keep at it =)

ChicoKid
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I also heard from some others that the big-guy might be more interesting as well. Thank you for the feedback. She'll be out on the field fighting war machines.

Got to focus on school again after this. Starts up Monday and I need to finish homework. How quickly the breaks go by. Looking at scale and armor in this one. Again, not so good at 2D, but people can get the idea. Her armor is all about function.

Probably will not have hands on the armor. Concerned about polycount and I want her to have some limitations too. She's unstoppable, but a character without weaknesses is no fun. Without hands, she is only a sword or a shield. She can still push and stab/lift, lever, scoop, etc. But picking things up is not on her list.

Armor details will most likely be in ZBrush. However, the big challenge from my POV will be in the modeling. I will have female exterior and armor exterior and interior to achieve the effect I want. I will try and keep her under 1500 quads, leaving 3500 for the armor.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/50/l_eab900d89b214d6a9144dd349149aeb0.jpg

ChicoKid
03-20-2009, 02:22 AM
Moving into the modeling phase. I've never tried to model at low poly levels. I look at Rae's body and already feel like she is choppy at 2700 quads. Don't know how I'm going to shave another 1000+ off of her and still find her acceptible for close-ups within the armor. I guess that's the challenge. Yay? Aaaaaand... she still needs toes.

I think my last full-body female was about 10,000.

I'm walking through all of this work cause I'm new to this. Maybe it will help other first-timers to see others with the same issues. I have seen many of you doing great with very few polys and I'm trying to learn.

I always enjoy the irony that I block out the naughty polygons while we can freely show severed heads and body parts.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/74/l_938d753b978841c3882d71c0b9b8afd1.jpg

ChicoKid
03-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Had a few mintues to rough out an armor. I think it might be a bit confining for her at this scale. Seeing the War Machines, I could stick to the idea that bigger is better.

Obviously, it all needs work, but I'm gonna shorten the legs and lengthen arms. Shortening of the legs will come from a longer torso. Longer arms will come from longer upper arms. Plenty of polygons to go, but I'm trying to be conservative right now.

It's gonna look more organic in the end too. Looks way too much like a robot right now. But its all about showing progress. I watch people jump into zbrush and do cool work, but I need to flesh it out a bit first.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/112/l_260e37e5e91c4f30a61eda91c0592f5d.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2009, 09:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.