PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 3D - smacdonald - Eraweb

smacdonald
03-18-2009, 03:05 AM
Hey everyone!
It seems I'm not the only one entering Domwar for the first time, makes me feel a lot better heh.:cool: Good luck everyone!

I decided to go with a Norm Invoker.
When I first seen the topic go up this sounded really appealing to me, and after throwing down some quick thumbnails, I think I can take it in some cool directions. Let me know what you think!

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7976/thumbs01.jpg

-Cheers!

DTRAN
03-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Wow! yeah, thats one Hot involker! I like the pose that shes in. I think right now her weapon could be a bit more menacing and bigger. I think you have a great base here to add too. Really looking forward to seeing this one to the end. Keep going!

paratrooper
03-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Cool. Good start!
glad to see yours in here. For sure,I will check it whenever you update.

Soggyclog
03-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Looking hot man! ::thumbsup:

JIMMAZZA
03-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Great start. I'm loving the feel you've got going with her.

Dargon
03-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Great start man! Can't wait to see where this goes!

I think I like the one on the left a bit more than the right. The contrast of feathers/skin/armour should work well

Wow. It's a real reunion in here... :arteest:

adriendebos
03-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Glad to see you entering Man!
i also like the right one the best! The bird legs could be very cool for the silouhette, but of course, the feather would be a challenge! I can't wait to see your progress on this character, that will be awesome! :)

smacdonald
03-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Hey Everyone!

Thanks for all the kind words guys! Hey Dargon, yeah this is totally a reunion eh? So, thanks to those of you who gave some input, I really dont want to paint myself into a boring corner here by making something too generic, so Soggy, Tran, Debos, Paratrooper and Dargon, keep it coming!

SO, on with the post. I originally wanted to make something angelic in a spot where Im sure we will see our fair share of demons ;) but again, I dont want to be too generic. So as I go I have been finding vibeage that feels how I feel about the character. Things like strenght, purity, earth, roots, elemental all come to mind. Which as you can see, is making her go down a more Aboriginal path. I am super liking this and open the magic manipulation path up for me as well perhaps a pet? Anyways, take a look, give feedback and I'll keep sketching.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9156/thumbs02e.jpg

-Cheers!

Ravis3057
03-19-2009, 05:36 AM
I really like the size of the wings, and they look really soft, If you go with this idea, I hope you can capture the soft weightlessness of those wings. Nice work.

adriendebos
03-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Super massive blade and wings! That's gonna be a good balance with the apparent purity of the girl! :)
I really liked the harpy legs better though. But that might be just me and my love for mythological creatures...
Keep it up Stephen!

DTRAN
03-19-2009, 07:55 AM
See? I told you this would be fun :) This is a nice little update. Given that you added the big wings and blade.....i am going to agree with debos...HARPY legs ftw!

smacdonald
03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Alright, the feet are back... I thought it lost something for sure when I took them away, but my problem was they dont seem beautiful enough to me, but I think if I match the feel of the wings with feathers on the top of the feet, I should be able to combat this... I want her strong but breath taking. I also took the advice of Tran and added a magical element in the form of crystals floating above her.. these are very rough right now, But I imagine them to be called from the earth and still have dirt on them adding to her earthy vibeage. Anyways, let me know what you think, Crits welcomed!!

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5774/thumbs03.jpg-Cheers!

kblackwd
03-19-2009, 07:32 PM
My opinion is why would she need a feather hat when she can have a floating "crown" of gems and jewels?

smacdonald
03-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey Kblackwd!

My idea is the feathers wont be a head dress, but actually growing from her head through her hair. And the crystals wont be a crown, but floating behind her/ over her head. Still playing with all these, but I'm pretty confident I can make this cool ;) Thanks for the input!

kblackwd
03-19-2009, 07:41 PM
My idea is the feathers wont be a head dress, but actually growing from her head through her hair.

Oh, sorry looks like a headband, that would be pretty awesome, I dont even think Harpies have feathers growing from their heads. Original idea, cant wait to see it.

facosta
03-20-2009, 01:03 AM
hey buddy,

I like how the sketches are coming along and I really like how you brought those feet back.
My only comment right now is that the design itself feels a little too symmetrical. Try adding a couple of diagonals to the design (belt, costume part, etc) to spice it up a bit.

Other than that keep up the good job man!!

DTRAN
03-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Dude, i am so digging the claws!!! oh and the floating gem things are rad too! :) Maybe try a bigger weapon...like a huge eagle talon blade or something? :S. Overall this is looking pretty fricken sweet!! more as usual.

Synectikos
03-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey! It's like an ex-Relic reunion here! Nice work smacdonald. I like the progression and the new claws work out well.

Barakna
03-20-2009, 06:33 PM
That is just awesome-sauce mate. Looking really good!

Soggyclog
03-20-2009, 06:45 PM
I really dig the design. The feet are cool in my opinion too :)
The only thing that kind of bugs me is the big round cleaver. I always feel that having humungous steel weapons in skinny characters hands makes the weapon feel light and unimpressive and at the same time makes the whole thing unbalanced... Even if she is angellic in strength I think a sleaker weapon could look better in her hands. I see her as a graceful ninja or magic user, not a brute.

Just my 2 cents.

smacdonald
03-29-2009, 03:07 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates folks!!! I didn't have so great of a week.... Anyways, enough with that. On with the post.

So I decided to start modeling tonight and now I have my rough base for my body going. No wings yet and no head either, But hopefully tomorrow night I'll post with a head. Let me know what you guys think! C&C Welcomed!!!

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1731/thumbs05.jpg

DTRAN
03-29-2009, 10:53 PM
What the SMAC!? Awesome progress here S! I have one crit. i think her feet could be a bit bigger and thicker. Like every part of her should feel like it can kick your ass and mine. I cant wait to see the sculpt for this dude :) keep going and dont stop!

Synectikos
03-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Your model is looking good, Stephen! Looks like you'll have a lot of polys to put into those giant wings. Keep up the posts! I have to start building my model today as well. :)

facosta
03-30-2009, 03:05 AM
hey Stephen,

Nice update!! I really like the base mesh and I can't wait to see the wings and head added to this character.

I agree with Dtran's comments about her legs. They should be a bit thicker and more powerful. Mostly from the calf down.

See ya tomorrow and keep it up!

MarianneM
03-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey MacD

it's great to see that in progress! I agree about the thickness - you could even have the angles be covered in feathers, a bit like big boots. This would probably retain more femininity despite the creature feet. So excited to see the next step!

Soggyclog
03-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Looking great man!
I like it as it is, but theyre probably right about the thickening...

polygonhead
03-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Great start so far bud! Can't wait to see the wings and face. Love the feet and legs! Keep it real, keep it sexy!

D4ME

smacdonald
04-01-2009, 04:09 AM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Good times. Here's my latest post.
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9053/thumbs09.jpg

So, here are some thicker feet and calves, I may end up bulking even more once I get them into ZB, but who knows. I like the idea of the feathers leading down into the feet to make them more soft. Still dangerous but more beautiful.
I also got my low poly face in there... I will definitely be pushing stuff around there as I figure out more about who this character is, but the mesh is pretty flexible at this point.
And last but not least, I am learning about what wings do in flight and what feathers need to go where.. so this is me trying to figure out sizes and placement. Let the crits begin!

Cheers!

Ferx
04-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Hey Stephen,

Really cool concept! Like a lot the huge wings , cool touch for the design, and the feet are really great!! Good luck and looking forward for more updates! Cheers!! :beer:

Dargon
04-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey S - looking great! Awesome to see some progress!

I'm still looking at the foot as being a little thin/long - and for me its the transition between human leg and bird leg. I think the distance between the knee -> ankle should be shorter, to be more like a bird leg, and the distance between the hip -> knee to be the same as it. I think also the default pose would be affected by what amounts now to being a reverse articulated leg. I did a quick illustration to show what I mean:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5657/foott.jpg

Only other concern would be how many polies for those wings? It looks like so far that you've modeled the high-res - is there a plan for alpha in her future? Just curious.

Cheers,

Dargon.

P.S. Whenever I read your handle, I think Smacadon. Then I wonder what a Smacadon would look like. Perhaps that would make a good Sketchclub topic...

Soggyclog
04-01-2009, 06:49 PM
It's looking great dude! You're making good progress for sure..
My only suggestion would be to think about making that brightest straight part of the wing more concave since there's supposedly an elbow type joint there... I think it would also make it feel more curvy and feminine.

Heres a pic of what I'm talking about:
http://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/img/basics/animalanatomy/wing-bones.jpeg

I can see you've put a lot of work into the wings so you could maybe just use a lattice or something to make slight shape modifications if you decide to try it.

Keep it up!

smacdonald
04-03-2009, 04:14 AM
Hey everyone. there is some killer progress on everyones stuff. Maybe this weekend I'll get some more time to get ahead on stuff. Started some zbrushing tonight though, started blocking out the planes of my face. Shes stern and strong, but still beautiful.
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9819/thumbs10b.jpg

Thanks for the input on my last post
@Dargon - I'm totally going to bring those legs up a bit, Im afraid of losing her lenght and not getting that balance against the wings in the shilloutette, but I think I may be going too far. Thanks!
@Soggy - Yeah, the wing shape is going to be a challenge with how large I want them and How much of the back I want to lose to feathers, thanks for the ref.

Keep it coming guys!

smacdonald
04-27-2009, 03:13 AM
Not out yet!!! Hahaha, hey everyone... sorry for no posts lately but DOMWAR fell on game finaling time for me so I had to drop off the radar for a bit.... but I do have something to post and I'll just have to bust ass right till the final minutes! Anyways, take a look! I got my low poly base mesh in a good state and I have 90% of her UV'd. I started my zbrushing, which since I have a start on the head already, shouldnt take me too long. The wings are going to be the most fun I think. I drew out some rough texture for them, a map if you would ;) so I know where each feather will be placed... Still confident im going to get this done. So let the comments begin!
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4572/thumbs15.jpg

Soggyclog
04-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Yay, was afraid we lost you... but you're back! It's looking great man, and already posed!
I don't know where you stand with the poly count but if you have some left I'd recommend throwing some at the whip as its the only thing that really stands out as angular.

Anyway, keep going... full steam!

Dargon
04-27-2009, 03:45 AM
Yay! I was just thinking I should give a nudge...

Mesh is looking great! Looking forward to seeing that sculpt.

Cheers,

Dave

facosta
04-27-2009, 03:54 AM
hey buddy,

Nice post!!! I feel lazy not having worked on mine :/

Anyways, I really like the pose and the flow of the hair and cloth, it really makes it more dynamic. I also do like the addition of the whip and how you shortened/thinned down the legs a bit. I think this proportion works way better on her.

I'm curios to see what you have in mind for her chest and arms? Are you thinking of adding any more armor or clothing to those parts? A bracelet or something to brake down the symmetry. Try playing with that a little.

Anyways, good job man keep it up!!! hope you got a bit of a rest in there this weekend too. ;)

Synectikos
04-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Glad to see you're still around and didn't drop out! I was really busy as well but I am confident we can help each other keep it up! Lots of time left (sorta).

I can't wait to see what you're doing with zBrush.

DTRAN
04-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Love the pose and the hair SMFMC! Anatomy is looking tight! the hand is pretty wick from what i can see. So glad to see you back in it. Keep going. One small crit, and you prolly heard this already is give the rope more geo to take away the jaggies. for me the rope being jagged is really breaking the illusion. but yeah, keep going!!

polygonhead
04-27-2009, 05:58 PM
man the wings turned out beautifully, and like dtran said the hair is great, nice and dynamic. You must be close to start your shaders, can't wait. keep going, glad your still working on this comp.

xoxo

MarianneM
04-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Nice, smac! Those wings are majestic and the movement is very interesting and fluid... nicely done. I really have to get back to work on mine too - overtime really put me out of it but to see you guys back on track is motivating me :)

CurtisRU
04-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Great update man,
I am really digging the direction you went with her legs, how they get thicker around the ankles and the large talons. solid pose too!
Cant wait to see more with the magic elements as well.

smacdonald
05-19-2009, 02:48 AM
Alright. Done. Kinda :P

I ran out of time, but I'm just glad to get it in there! Here you go guys! Let me know what you think! Incredible posts from everyone.. A big hand to everyone. truly inspiring.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2970/beautyshot2.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5554/conceptv.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5559/story.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1747/presentation.jpg
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7034/texturesheets.jpg
(http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7034/texturesheets.jpg)

DTRAN
05-19-2009, 04:57 AM
SMFMC!!! CONGRATS! She has a killer bod! get her on ratemybody.com. I know you drove pretty hard to get her in on time and man i love that drive about you! Congrats on a wicked character and pose!! Goddluck!

Synectikos
05-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Nice work Stephen! Glad to see you finished it.

I just posted my images as well... now if only I could get them uploaded on this web server. :(

Dargon
05-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Great work SMAC! Great model, very evocative!

adriendebos
05-19-2009, 09:09 AM
She's beautiful! Congrats Man :)

DDS
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
I really like the wings. Good luck!

MR BINK
05-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah!!! SMAC!

polygonhead
05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Congrats man,

I love everything about this piece, anatomy looks great, and the wings turned out awesome, i love the two tone contrast. I'm cheering for yah dude!

cheers

Soggyclog
05-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Nice man! She turned out awesome! :buttrock:
Grats and good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2009, 10:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.