PDA

View Full Version : Combustion 2 and Digital Fusion

merlin9876
05-06-2002, 11:53 AM
Can someone tell me some pros and cons of using either software (workflow, tools, learning curve, industry recognition, etc). I'm not sur which one I want to use most. Thx!

Nando
05-07-2002, 05:57 PM
Combustion is easier to migrate too if folks are used to AE type compositing apps. The interface gives folks the option to work in layers so it may feel comfortable.
Fusion is a great fast compositor, it is a work horse like no other, it is well known in the community for its quick renderer. Fusion is node based and the interface may discourage folks because its not as pleasing to the eyes, but once folks understand what button does what or learn the hot keys your flying.
Combustion also has a sudo-NoDE based interface if that workflow is more suited to the artist. Combustion also has a more comfortable paint module IMHO.
I like both Apps just, wish Fusion had a more pleasing interface and better paint Module.
Combustion, I wish it had a quicker ram player, faster previews, image warper, stable particles and SDK for 3rd party 3D plugins like those developed for AE.

Download both Demo's to see which one you enjoy most ;)

Fusion: http://www.eyeonline.com

C*: http://www.discreet.com/products/combustion/

merlin9876
05-08-2002, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the info!:D

toonman
05-09-2002, 02:36 AM
I haven't really used DF, so all I can say is what I've heard around. DF has a very good reputation, seems to be quite fast, and can work with film res without a glitch.

As for combustion, as Nando said, the interface is a pleasure to work with, it's compatible with a lot of AE plugins (I think DF also is, not sure), has superb painting tools, and a lot of high-profile post shops use it because it's very compatible with Flint/Flame/Inferno. For example, a lot of shops are using C2 to do rotto work while the Inferno does other stuff, and when the rotto/keying work is done, it's passed on to the Inferno. C2 has several FFI modules included, as the keyer, the color corrector and the tracker. It has a 2d particle system, which gives great results.

All in all, both are great packages. I'm not sure if DF has a demo available (C2 has), but if there is one, you should download 'em and take both for a ride. Cheers!

merlin9876
05-09-2002, 02:28 PM
I think I'll finally go with DF... I tried it a bit and just LOVE the node based architecture. It's like Softimage XSI (which I fell in love with also!). I guess it's not very rational but it works for me. Thanks for the info!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.