PDA

View Full Version : Do you know any 3D Studio Max tutorials for robots, spaceships and intricate details?

KaiserAdler
03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi!

Do you know any 3D Studio Max tutorials for robots, spaceships and intricate details?
Paid or free.
What I am interested in are tutorials that explain techniques for creating intricate mechanical elements (I know there was once one for a matrix walker, but I don't remember the name and Google didn't return anything relevant).
I am especially interested in how the "biologic" (round shapes usually done with a modeling cage) with straight sharp edges can be done, all this eventually with a modeling cage or nurbs.I have never managed so far to combine "straight" with "round" in my modeling.An example is the air intake of an airplane, the outside is very smooth and curvy, but the inside becomes very sharp at the edges, altough the edges themselves retain the curvy lines.
Thank you in advance!

Best regards!

Stenofo
03-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Hello there, this should be what you're looking for, or at least very similar:

www.3d-palace.com (http://www.3d-palace.com)

Apart from the commercial DVDs there should be an entire free training kit. You'll need a different browser than Internet Explorer to watch videos. I hope this helps.

Psyk0
03-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Here's a high poly modeling primer by Grant Warwick:
http://digitalapprentice.net/Community/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=154&mosmsg=Item+successfully+saved.

scrimski
03-17-2009, 11:47 PM
I am especially interested in how the "biologic" (round shapes usually done with a modeling cage) with straight sharp edges can be done, all this eventually with a modeling cage or nurbs.I have never managed so far to combine "straight" with "round" in my modeling.An example is the air intake of an airplane, the outside is very smooth and curvy, but the inside becomes very sharp at the edges, altough the edges themselves retain the curvy lines.Matter of technique. You will probanly find more tutorials for modelling cars/airplanes dealing with that kind of problems. kevjon out together a guide at www.military-meshes.com.

There is also a DVD for technical modeling available at Cg Academy.

If really serious about it, get a decent NURBS modeller like Rhino or Moi3d. Of course anything can be done using pBp, but using NURBS(not the ones in 3ds Max though) for that is just top of the pops.

KaiserAdler
03-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Thank you all for your replies!Very helpfull!
Isn't the Power NURBS for 3D Studio Max good enough for this?It's pretty hard for me now to learn another software.

wwswimming
03-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Lynda.com has good fundamentals & some intermediate Max video tutorials.

some of them exactly using robots & spaceships as their themes.

gfx3d
03-18-2009, 05:31 PM
dear KaiserAdler (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=258670) if u got the idea what ur going to do then the tools and interface are left and right hand driving of a car ,like that so dont bother about software u can go through it quickly

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2009, 05:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.