PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 2D - Sepulverture - Norm - Clericon

Sepulverture
03-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Here are the initial silhouette thumbnails for my Norm Clericon

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/normclericonsillosheet001.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/normclericonsillosheet002copy.jpg

LATEST UPDATES:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/ClericonTextImagecopy.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/designprototypesheetcompletecopy.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/ClericonOrthoSketchcompletecopy-3.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchjumppackflight-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion003c-2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonfighting003.jpg

Sepulverture
03-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Ok folks. Here is a small update to my Clericon. I chose 6 silhouettes to flesh out, here are the first two. Each about 40 minutes. Once I choose which one I like I will continue to flesh it out in color. I also typed up my text image, and will copy the text itself here. It includes my interpretation of the backstory plus my description of the character itself.

Just a note, the story needs a bit of tweaking, as a friend of mine already pointed out there are some small inconsistencies, but otherwise I like it and am happy with it.

Enjoy, and please critique:)

The story so far ...

In the grim future, beyond the time when Humans first left their ancestral home and began making emissarial voyages to the shining fields of ether where galaxies waxed and waned, beckoned by other-worldly counterparts first glimpsed upon in the ancient days when Humanity took its first baby steps to the stars, worlds were ending.

In Humanities desperate attempts to cross the fathoms of space to promised Utopia they inadvertently invented the very mode of their doom, and the doom of all else which lives and breathes.

Faced with the mechanized death race accidentally unleashed unto the stars by humanity, the many races of the universe abandoned all technology in desperation to survive. This is where they rediscovered their roots in nature. And magic.

Enter the Clericon

The living races quickly realized was that Living Life was finite - extremely so, and Mechanical Life was unending. Unlike their mechanical adversaries they were incapable of producing enough soldiers to fight their war in a short period of time. They could conceive unendingly, but all the babies in the universe are not useful so long as they are too young to wield a weapon, so one of the first magics crafted and honed was the Art of Healing and Vitality.

In Vitro birth was the only option for the Human Race The gestation period prior to birth, and the length of time required to make a soldier fully operational took too long, so cloning children old enough to be mobile, yet young enough to have minds that were still capable of rapid learning was the only choice left. Humans had no natural ability to produce and wield magic, so genetic modification was used. When ultimately the decision was universally made to re-adopt technology, the so-called "Life Factories" soon came into full swing, producing magically inclined super-soldiers at a rate previously thought impossible (largely due to the feeble ethics of Ancient Humanity and some of the more religious races) and the Clericon was the first true product of this new manufacturing process.

Clericons are agile rear-line assault support troopers, magically inclined in the art of Healing and Vitality and trained in the use of energy weapons. They are the spiritual successor to the traditional Medic class soldier, who now operate solely behind the front lines. The Clericon is a light class soldier, which implies light articulated armor plating on top of ceremonial robes, and other garments. Their weight class offers the ability to utilize HeavenSent jump-troop jet packs. They are not a fighting unit, although trained in the use of energy weapons to provide minor battle support, and often used in positional defense missions.

Due to the nature of the rituals needed to summon their magic, clothing and armor is highly segmented, and therefore the wearer is often prone to physical damage. Their primary weapons are spell books and scrolls containing the spells and incantations used to summon the healing energies. With the recent appearance the Unknowns, which seem to originate from the temporal rifts left by the Machines attempts to implement their teleportation technology the Clericon class unit has taken on the secondary role of Research and Analysisdfwsa. Spell books have been augmented to include new spells designed to bind and banish organic foes.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/normclericonsketch001copy.jpghttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/normclericonsketch002copy.jpg

Sepulverture
03-19-2009, 04:15 AM
Here's a small update, just another of the sillos fleshed out. Any feedback would be appreciated:)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/normclericonsketch006copy.jpg

Airflow
03-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I like the first sillo and the one with rhe huge weapon at the bottom. Good work sofar.

Sepulverture
03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion about the sillos Airflow.

Here's another sketch.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/normclericonsketch003copy.jpg

Lanceafer
03-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I like the third one the best. Its a little more simple but that's what I like about it. No huge fancy armor and weapons. Kind of gives an impression of "I'm here to do my job and get home in one piece". Overall I like where you are headed with this idea.

Sepulverture
03-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Lanceafer - Thanks for the suggestion on which sketch I should run with. Are there any elements that you like/dislike from the other 3?

I'm very open to suggestions at this point, and don't mind mix-matching the designs a bit.

I agree with you about the simplicity of number three, I guess overall they're all a little simple looking.

I want to try to give the impression of simplicity in these because as the game artisans description implies it's a post apocalyptic fantasy world, a point which it seems a lot of people are forgetting in their designs, and so I want to try to give things a simpler almost hand made look.

There are some things in my own story that don't quite jive with a true post apolcalytia but as with all things sci-fi based I'm willing to give leeway and allow for some things that future societies may take for granted and as being common place, such as space travel and some other forms of high technology.

I have another sketch halfway done, and will finish it tonight after work.

Thanks for commenting Airflow and Lanceafer. Hope to hear from more people soon!

Sepulverture
03-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Here are some ideas for the mood board I'm putting together for my character. Just sketches, will flesh them out when I decide on a final design.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/sketchideas001.jpg

Sepulverture
03-23-2009, 03:10 AM
Here's another design sketch that I'm playing with.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/normclericonsketch004copy.jpg

ersinerturk
03-23-2009, 07:02 AM
i liked the masked one most. it's 2nd one in post number 2. others have a nice feel to, but it made me feel the mood best. keep it up!

Sepulverture
03-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Ersin - Thanks for the reply and suggestion about which one you liked. That helps in deciding my next move.

What is it that you liked about it, and didn't like about it? Knowing these things will help a lot in coming up with my final design.

ShogunWarrior
03-23-2009, 09:23 AM
very nice sketches and it looks great, can't wait to see it completed.. glhf

Sepulverture
03-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the reply :)

Which design do you like the best? Or which one carries the message of magical healer with minor combat role the best?

ersinerturk
03-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Ersin - Thanks for the reply and suggestion about which one you liked. That helps in deciding my next move.

What is it that you liked about it, and didn't like about it? Knowing these things will help a lot in coming up with my final design.

why i liked it is that i think he needs something for head protection since he is not a fighter. but also showing his face a bit would be better instead of covering it all in that design.

g3p
03-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Well, I understood the text of his character, he has everything to bring the idea of the perfect human being as we see in the movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twins_(1988_film) the character is more robust and stout at the same time it should be rough, but affectionate as clerics and have the buffer of cure, right ... 'm enjoying the process, just think he can be more stout and have more technology apparent.

but very good and congratulations! I hope this project

Sepulverture
03-24-2009, 05:25 AM
Ersin - Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to do a design sheet of possible headgear that will still show off the face.

g3p - Thanks for the suggestion about how to take the character design. When I do the headgear sheets mentioned above i'll also include some expression studies to help show off these emotions. Right now I'm doing portrait studies to help decide on what shape i want the face to be of, and of what general age.

Thanks again you two, it helps a lot.

Sepulverture
03-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Here's the promised plate of headgear designs. 12 in total. I made little notes next to some of the features to help demonstrate what they're used for.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/headgearthumbnailsheet001copy.jpg

ersinerturk
03-24-2009, 09:03 AM
many options! i think number 5 is best for that it's protecting whole head and still we're able to see his face. but there are still usable headgear parts in your designs, maybe you could equip some of these items in a backpack or just add them onto helmet.

Hexahedron
03-24-2009, 12:17 PM
I hesitate between 5 and 10. Five got a swat look. Number 10 reminds me much more the style of Fallout. So I think I would go with number 10.
Great work so far, keep it up man!

MartinNielsen
03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Good stuff around this thread :) I think the gas mask themes have good potential.

Sepulverture
03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Hexahedron - Thanks for the comments. I'll look at these two options and find out what i can mix between them.

Martin - Thanks man!

Before I make any decisions about which helmet style to choose, or make variations on here is another plate of headgear to choose from:)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/headgearthumbnailsheet002copy.jpg

BaronImpossible
03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
No. 10 from the first set is my choice!

Hexahedron
03-24-2009, 02:18 PM
I agree, number 10 looks really cool.

FrozZT
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey man! Good stuff.. I actually like the second sketch in second post best. I think the weapon/healing-thingy there looks really cool and the figure is ok too. I do think you should experiment more with the full figure. None of the head/helm designs strike as anything spectacular to be honest, looks like gear for a regular fotsoldier. Maybe you are thinking to much about the functionality, try to think shape/composition first and then work it into something functional. That way you're more likely to get something visually appealing. I love the idea of handpainted flowers on the chestplate and stuff like that in the mood sketch on the first page, very cool idea. Kind of bring a positive vibe to fellow soldiers. Keep it up!

-Niklas

g3p
03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
6 or 10 from thumb 001.
like a halo XD very nice!

bangbangteng
03-24-2009, 11:06 PM
I agree with FrozZT. Your design is well thought out, well researched, and well functional (as much as one can make such fantasy functional anyhow...)...

but, it isn't very visually exciting.
I think our threads can learn something from each other, as I started out wanting to make something cool, which wasn't practical, where you started out wanting to make something practical, and might not have something that really pops design wise.

I suggest some reading into the Warhammer 40k universe. Your thoughts and background mentioned that these claricon warriors would be on battlefield after battlefield, but I haven't seen much dirt or grit, or evidance of experiance in any of your design decisions. I think the people at Games Workshop and thier artists are very conscious of the fact that for a character to be a hero or veteran in any war, they would show scars, medals, battle damage... ect.

Get back into the minds of your character and your audiance before you step back into your own as the artist.

namnocilis
03-24-2009, 11:19 PM
i love your sketching style :love:and i am saving all your images..
in the second set of head gears, i liked the 2nd one..

Airflow
03-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Six and ten deffo, now if you can do a combo :)

Fugu7
03-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Hey Nick.

With your last post man I would have to say mix up 10 and 11. 11, design wise is appealing and different, but the open mouth area I dont think would do much for practical protection. I think taking the closing hatch from design 10 would be a nice fit with 11. The guy looks as if he likes cigars, so it would be a nice touch. Haha. Perhaps the nick name for the hatch could be a smoke hatch.

Sepulverture
03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks a lot everyone for your support! It's great to get this much feedback. Now I can really get rolling.

Well. It looks like for the helmet designs we have a couple of winners.

Designs 6 and 10 of headgear plate 001 and number 2 from 002 seem to be the ones that are most appealing so I will make a 3rd plate with these designs and variants thereof.

As for the body armor and clothing the paladin-esque and the crusader-esque designs seem to be the favorites among posters in this thread, as well as other friends I've asked in person so I will take those and work on fleshing them out. I personally like aspects of all of them, but want to keep it simple, so will work on desigh plates for the two popular choices soon enough.

function versus fashion

I would tend to agree with the statements regarding the apparent functionality of my designs, but their visual dullness. I guess in a way this reflects my attitude towards most things in life. I'm something of a utilitarian by habit, which doesn't bode well for a hopeful young concept artist. When I work on the design plates for the next set of sketches I will loosen up a little with the design and throw functionality to the wind for a while. I just think that if you're going to tack something onto a design it should be justifiable and have at least the appearance of usefulness.

BaronImpossible, Hexahedron - Thanks for the comment :)

FrozZT, bangbangteng - Thanks for the honesty, it's always good to get a solid honest crit. I realize now my designs, although perhaps being functional, are not necessarily visually pleasing so I will do as suggested and research some of the gaudier designs and figure out how I can augment my own with what I learn from my studies.

bangbangteng - I totally dig what you're saying about the battle damage, wear and tear, and mechanical/material fatigue you're talking about, however, I won't worry about any of this kind of thing until I'm getting closer to my final designs. Thanks for the suggestions though.

namnocilis - Thanks for the compliment :D I think that's about the first time I've received such a compliment. Thanks for the design suggestion too.

AirFlow - Combos you say? Coming right up.

Sepulverture
03-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Sorry for the hiatus lately. I've been quite sick and unable to do much. I have worked on about half a sheet of designs though.

Sepulverture
03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Here's my late latest update.

Being sick with a lung infection + working overtime = suck.

Please keep the crits and comments coming, you've all been very helpful in helping me choose my direction here.

I've decided that I want to go with a little bit of a Native American Indian influence for this character. I played with that idea little bit in the mood sketches on the previous page and liked where it was taking me.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/headgearthumbnailsheet003copy.jpg

namnocilis
03-30-2009, 11:34 AM
oh! :sad: you should really take care of health.. don't overstrain, if health is gone..everything is gone. Hope you are fine now..
In the new sketches
i liked second row > 3rd one and last row > 4th one.

Hellgaurdian
03-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Hey Nicholas, cant believe i missed ur thread from so long.. Cant tel u how much i loved ur story.. its amazing.. feels real.. love the research u have put into it.. and i like ur sketches too.. good job.. i like the head gear in the last image last row 3rd one.. the one wit the angel wings on top. kinda looks kool.. maybe u can improvise on it.. anyway good job..

numabrush
03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Yea man! I totally love all the head gear designs you've been developing! I think I would of stopped after a single page because I was out of ideas. They really have a post apocalyptic feel to them, which I think is perfect!
Keep up the great work! This is fun!

Airflow
03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
I like 5, 9 and 10.
I think you need to kinda veitnam customise him, make him look like a bad ass marine, and give his some hardware that will keep the steroid abusing (alien demon) cybo scum off him. :)

Sepulverture
03-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Great to be getting so much feedback and compliments.

Here is the first of several sheets of armor silhouettes.

I don't want to go for an overbearing kind of look, i want this character to have the posture and appearance of compassion, while still looking like he can handle himself.

I decided to go with a Native American Indian influence in some of my designs because I think that it's an under-tapped source of inspiration, and the semi-cliche Indian shaman was the first thing that came to mind when magic healer was mentioned... I will be working on variants of this direction as I begin to work more details into the design.

Namnocilis - Thanks for the concern about my health. I attribute my current health problems to seasonal change, and I recently got off some metabolism meds I was taking for a the past few months. No worries though, I'm quickly recovering. Thanks again.

HellGuardian - Glad to have you joining my thread now, I'll also keep an eye on yours and drop in from time to time. Thanks for the suggestion regarding design direction, I think I will take the wings into consideration a little futher while I develop further concepts and flesh them out more thoroughly.

Numabrush - Thanks for the compliment :) The early stages of concepting are some of my favorite, gotta love it while you can :)

Robert - Thanks for the input on which designs I should run with, I'll take them into consideration as I flesh them out more. As for the customization I'm one step ahead of you already ;). I've got some ideas about little designs and messages and whatnots painted on and bolted onto the exterior of the armor, I will make these details more apparent as I get further along in the process, don't want to worry too much about these kinds of details this early on.

I have several plates of silhouettes prepared and ready for showing off, but access to photobucket seems to temporarily be blocked where I am.... It happens from time to time, gotta love communism. I will post them up just as soon as I can.

Sepulverture
04-01-2009, 03:58 AM
Ok, here's the next stage.

At this point I'm not looking to mix and match designs anymore, at least not for the headgears. I have chosen a set of silhouettes that I plan to flesh out a little and make my final decision, although if one of them pans out it may be radically different from what I have posted beforehand. We'll see.

As for the body armor designs, I'm open to mixing designs a bit more.

the armor is supposed to be a chest plate only, and i'm tossing the idea around of having a segmented abdomen piece as well, although I'm not sure yet.

I definitely like the idea of some hanging drapery attached to different points of the chest plate, and in the functionality direction the rear of the body armor will house an automated sentry unit that can be deployed for defensive purposes while the Clericon is performing field surgery or magical rites. Thanks Airflow for the suggestion regarding that.

C&C welcome as always. Here you are.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonarmorsillosheet001copy.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/headgearprofilesilhouettes001copy.jpg

Ferx
04-01-2009, 07:06 AM
Hey Nicholas,

Cool concept and sketchs :D Like a lot the "medieval style" helmets. The helmet with feathers and the helmet with wings look really great!! Think that a full armor for the torso can be work really well, like the second row of thumbnails . Good luck and waiting for more updates!! Cheers!! :beer:

Sepulverture
04-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Ferx - Thanks for dropping by my thread man :) Always good to get new perspectives and insghts. I like a few of the fuller torso armors as well, but I want to keep him light looking so none of the armors are going to be too bulky, but I'll play around with them.

here is an update and getting close to the final decision on headgears, and I've pretty much got the armor I want to run with selected and fleshed out in my head, so I'm not going to do many silhouette variants on that, will post up some orthos of 3 different designs tomorrow.

here's the headgear. The final design will be selected form these, and then details such as hoses, ornaments, lights, optics/repiratory augmentations etc., will be added to the final choice in the form of accessories that are detachable and stowable in a backpack type storage compartment on the final armor design.

I am honestly loving every minute of this design process, tedious though I'm making it.

As always crits and comments welcome and requested.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/headgearprofilesilhouettes002copy.jpg

namnocilis
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
man! you are filled with so many ideas and various cool designs.. :bowdown:something that i am finding it hard to do these days and for the head gear, i will go for 21. this design somehow caught my eye among all those different headgear designs.

DanielCortes
04-01-2009, 10:48 PM
I would also go for 21 or 10...I also liked the second guy the best, the one with the mask.
your doing great! work, work and work some more...it's the key! thanks for drooping by.

Abrvpt
04-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Good job, nice way to design stuff.
On the last sheet i'll pick n°4 and 22. Everything that reminds a long beard in the silhouette fits great to a clericon.
But do not forget to work on the whole figure. You can then put anything you have already designed in.
Keep up the good job and watch out your health. ;)

Hellgaurdian
04-02-2009, 01:42 PM
well needless to say this is awesome.. i think like namnocilis and live2contage said 21 looks sweet.. thr's something abt it that captures the eye.. maybe it gives a little more to that 'i wanna kick some demon ass' feeling.. and among the torso armor i think the last one looks good..

Ataulfo
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Great stuff.:thumbsup:

i like the head silhouette nº 19.
keep it up:beer:

Sepulverture
04-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the support! I will be sure to give you all proper responses a little later, in a bitof a hurry right now.

This is the final design sheet for the headgears, and I's really pushing the head gear first because whatever design is chosen is what the rest of the armor will be based on so it all fits together.

Thanks for all the support so far, hope to keep hearing from you guys.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/headgeardesignsheet001copy.jpg

Airflow
04-04-2009, 03:41 PM
8, but I liked some of the earlier ones, your honing it down to so its good.

namnocilis
04-04-2009, 07:05 PM
my vote goes to 8. :wavey: 1 to 5 looks more like robots..
Good going! :thumbsup:

DanielCortes
04-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey there bro! Looking good and you really do give a lot of space for participation (good lesson for me). In my opinion 8 takes the cake, because you’ll be able to express emotion in your characters features and that’s very powerful, the look on his face is everything for me. From the other rows I would go with 3 or 4. Hope to see you around, have a good one, chau!

Sepulverture
04-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Updates a-comin'

g3p
04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
i like 6, 8 and 9 ideas. but i'm really prefer 8.
very well wip. congratulations
c'ya!

Sepulverture
04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It's decided. I really wanted to use number 3 for the primary head gear. The head gear is NOT meant to be defensive, the optics are supposed to be diagnostic equipment, and environmental filtering, however number 3 doesn't allow for any emotion to be portrayed at all, so i was stuck between 6, and 8. Thanks to the overwhelming support for number 8 that is what i'm gong to go with. However, I personally prefer number 6, so I figure they will be used in different configurations, which will be shown through the mood board I'm working on. One will be a combat role headgear, number 8, and one will be a mop-up collecting the wounded kind of headgear, number 6.

As I just mentioned I'm beginning to work on my mood board, and here's the first sketch that will go on it. This sketch isn't done yet, and won't be in color. The final illustration, and model sheet will be in color though. I will add things like decals and other small details like dirt and scratches in my next update.

Also included is the first of a series of prop sketches, which will include pieces of armor (which I've already settled on, a mixture of two of the sketches on the first page).

Thanks for the support, as always I welcome criticism and critique.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/handtools001copy.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/Headgeartechillo001copy.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion001copy.jpg

Fugu7
04-08-2009, 03:02 AM
Hey man keep up the good work. The mood piece is turning out great. Your concepts are coming out nice, but what I think the problem facing you right now is they need to be fleshed out. Given a personality so to speak. I don't mean rough them up a bit, but in the initial design you need to show as if the entire object wasn't cast from one solid mold. Add creases, ports, bumps, decals, and materials. Make it look as if it was put together and strengthened. Get rid of the look as if it was constructed by basic shapes. Once all that is done, then you can really give it personality by adding scratches, burn marks, and holes.

You already know my oppinion about the "addrenaline" shots, but I'm nit picky that way.

Just to be purposely contrary, how about taking a risk and instead of using a cross for the medic perhaps find another symbol based on alchemy or perhaps make up your own. A heart or something.

The Idea of the glowing veins and eyes when the person is using magic was a good idea. Keep going, you're making progress.

Sepulverture
04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
An update on the mood sketch. I changed the age of the clericon a bit, and fleshed everything out a little more overall. I'm pretty much done with this sketch and moving on.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion001c-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion001c-2.jpg

Sepulverture
04-08-2009, 06:43 PM
another update on the mood sketch, and the first view of my choice for the armor in full

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion001c-3.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonarmorortho001copy.jpg

Sepulverture
04-09-2009, 08:00 AM
hmm... where did everyone go?

Here's an update on the mood sketch.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion001c-4.jpg

Sepulverture
04-09-2009, 01:43 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion001c-5.jpg

Airflow
04-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Looks real cool. How does he protect himself when hes healing again?

Ataulfo
04-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi dude,

The last sketch looks great. :buttrock:

Sepulverture
04-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks Rob. I'll flesh out his protector drone this weekend.

Here's a small update.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion001c-6.jpg

Sepulverture
04-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Didn't see your post there Ataulfo. Thanks man!

Sepulverture
04-11-2009, 05:14 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion001c-7.jpg

Sepulverture
04-14-2009, 11:40 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion001c-8.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketch002jumppackflight.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonarmorortho001copy-1.jpg

namnocilis
04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
i was out of track for few days with some personal works and missed all the updates..
the updates are looking really cool.. the idea of his hand leaving an impression on his dress is all cool! but the only thing that bothers me is the pose.. it looks just like any regular doctor with stethoscope feel, it also feels like he is going to take a lot of time with each injured patient..don't know how effective he will be with large numbers of injured soldiers..
and in other way, the scene seems to continue for quite long time and its telling a story to the viewer which is something i like about it..

so when viewing it, i am having mixed feelings where for the one part i like the mood of the scene and the way it is telling a story to the viewer while for the other part i wonder if he is really effective among all those demons and machines running around, anyways.. i am going to wait and see how it evolves and how you take it further.. Nice to see the updates, i am kind of stuck with personal work and not updated anything, have to find time somehow but i really fear if i am already out of time..

Ferx
04-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey Nicholas,

Cool updates!! The mood sketch looks really nice, like a lot the head armor. Agree with Nitin, comments. Maybe some sort of magical protecting /cure device for your character, only a comment! Looking forward for more updates! Cheers!! :beer:

Sepulverture
04-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the crits and comments guys. I'm sorry right now I don't have the time to post a better reply. just want to let you know i've read them, and understand.

thanks again.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonarmorortho001copy-2.jpg

Sepulverture
04-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I can understand the crits you guys gave me, but the thing is this guy is not a combat unit. He is armed for self defense, and provides minor combat roles in the form of defensive support, however he's not a front line unit so for him to be running around in super power armor is not something I wanted to put across here. I wanted him to look more like he can get around easily, while still having some protection.

Despite the fact that he is not meant to see heavy combat I do agree that he should be able to protect himself, so I designed a semi-automated defense drone that is detachable from a recessed area in his jump pack. The body of the defense drone is a bit larger than a large domestic house cat or a medium-small dog, has deployable legs that can fold to help it fit nicely into he backpack and it's "head" is retractable. It is armed with a four-barrel small calibre gatling gun, and with it's pointed legs is capable of mellee attacks as well as rapid fire from the gatling gun.

here are my updates. Did some updates to the mood sketch, I haven't yet fixed the wounded's hand, people keep saying it needs to be fixed so I will get around to that after I do some other essential work. The orthograph is now done with the exception of including the drone in scale.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion001c-9.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonarmorortho001copy-3.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketch002jumppackfli-2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/defensedrone001copy.jpg

DanielCortes
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I like to bot, just make sure he dose't betray his master, those punks have a history, ha! good work. Is the guy jumping for the final comp? :thumbsup:

Sepulverture
04-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Hey l2c thanks for the reply ;)

Yeah those bots man.... Well, our friend the clericon has got a few tricks up his sleeve to keep the little guy in check. Speak of, here's the final orthograph for this character. I'm thinking about doing a color version, but before I do that I need to get work done on the final illustration and some more mood sketches. At least the final illo.

Here y'are.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/defensedrone001copy-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/ClericonOrthoSketchcompletecopy.jpg

DanielCortes
04-21-2009, 10:45 PM
kick ass, just great and thanks for giving me that peace, I was a little concerned his little pet thing wouldn't slit his through in the middle of the night, you know machines never to trust worthy. So I glad everything is under control around here, all the best, cuidate loco!

Sepulverture
04-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks again L2c :) Here are a few updates, I'm approaching the final renders now and all is on schedule.

For the orthograph I resized the drone a little bit to make him more to proper scale, although I think he's still a tad large. REMEMBER that this unit is NOT a combat unit, and therefore heavy firepower was NOT factored into the design, neither was bulky combersome armor because he is not inteded to see much action except for his defensive roles, and self defense. Most action that he sees will be in the interest of reach a wounded soldier and is therefore equiped with a plasma/electron rifle, and the drone is solely for self defense while he's performing incantations in hot zones and for scouting missions. I added more decals in the mood illustration, and fleshed out coloring more, and I took all my thumbnail sketches and arranged them into a proper thumbnail sheet. I will add logos and such as I get them all downloaded. I'm still looking for a psd for that damn dominance war 4 logo! If anyone knows where to find one help me please!!!

Thanks kids, here are the updates.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/designprototypesheet001copy.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/designprototypesheet001copy.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion002colo.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion002c-1.jpg

Airflow
04-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Looks good, but Id like to see somthing abit more millitatistic frm the drone, liiks like a mechanical pet instead of a protector, have you decided if he controls it or if its aware of his threat level. Cleric needs more tech on him.
Great going.

Sepulverture
04-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks Air. I'll tech him up a tad and make the bot a little more vicious. I prefer to keep his compact size, but something can definitely be done about the deadliness factor. I think a heavier caliber machine gun that is ejectable from the main body will suffice, will need a bit of a redesign but that's no problem.

Any other critique is well welcomed as always.

Thanks again Rob.

Sepulverture
04-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey Rob, I decided to take your advice a little more to heart than I was earlier on msn. I am expanding on the mood sketch to make room for the bot to work his deadly magic, while the clericon works his healing magic. Also included is a new mood sketch I'm working on.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion003colo.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketch002jumppackfli-3.jpg

Airflow
04-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Love it. Seeing him in motion shows hes not completely vulnerable, if you had his drone firing along side him, like hes on his way to heal some soldies it would be cool.

DanielCortes
04-27-2009, 08:57 PM
I like the action as well, I think you could really build on the idea. lets see that bot flying around. big hug :beer:

Sepulverture
04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Hey guys. I will continue to update and work on this as I can but it looks like this is close to the end of my progress on this project. My wacom broke down last night totally unexpectedly and totally inexplicably... I'm still in tears. Thanks for the comments about this latest composition. I hadn't considered making the bot a flying bot, although I was thinking maybe I could make his gun-head more articulated so he could fire while still still attached to the jump pack. What do you think about the colors in the latest composition? I wanted to try something new for myself, and also wanted to make a color scheme that pops compared to the normal drab washed out gray and grit color schemes so prevalant in modern entertainment art.

FrozZT
04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Man, that sucks! :/ You had something going on here.. You could always go hardcore and paint it with your mouse!! :p I hope you get to finish somehow, if not then i bet you've learned some stuff anyway, that counts for something.

edit: forgot about your question.. About the colors, its pretty much highly saturated orange and green. I think you could easily use highly saturated colors and make it work, but its more the composition and relation between different colors and values that makes it interesting, right now the only relation is between orange and green, both equally saturated. Oh and of course your washed out foreground.. It really flattens your image putting that saturated orange in the far distance and putting a washed out red in the forground. You could argue that you like that effect but if you want to create the illusion of depth you should think about that colors tend to fade with distance. I think most colors can work together if you compose them well. I think you need to put a little bit more work into your palett and also your color composition before we can cast judgement on your idea.

-Niklas

Sepulverture
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Niklas - Thanks for the critique and advice. I worked on the composition a bit and blocked in some of the important elements. I'm going to try to get everything blocked in before I rush forward with this piece anymore. Hopefully I can get it presentable enough to submit tomorrow.

Thanks again

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketch002jumppackfli-4.jpg

Ferx
04-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey Nicholas,

That last imge looks really cool. Like the background in green, for sure puts a great futuristic and apocalyptic touch! Chhers!! :beer:

Ataulfo
04-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi dude,
Nice progress. The only critic i have is that i see the colors too much saturated, like FrozZT said.

Fugu7
04-30-2009, 02:51 AM
Hey Nick,

I have to agree with what has been said already about the color. Although, I can't quite put my finger on it like some already did. Color theory is a pain in the butt, keep it up though and experiment a bit to see what works. Other than that man you sure have evolved when it comes to dynamic poses. Your figures don't look as stiff as they use too. Only thing I have to say about the anatomy is the lead in the picture seems to have an elongated torso.

Try and at least present this stuff to say it's finished.

Congrats.

Sepulverture
04-30-2009, 11:22 AM
My wacom is in a state that resembles proper functionality, so I did this little update on my laptop at work. It's not coming along as fast as I'd hoped it would, but it's coming along again at least. I will block in the colors for the clericon tonight and work on value correction and whatnot.

As for the colors being oversaturated and whatnot, I can see what you're all talking about and I'll address this, however I get the feling my monitor is not properly calibrated, and this may also have something to do with it although my own lack of understanding of color theory are also playing their own role.

I think I decided on what the last compositional element will be. I'm going to have the clericons defense bot half deployed on his jump pack with machine gun also deployed taking down a daemon, or robot in the lower right corner who was about to take out the soldier in the foreground.

This is rather ambitious for me and I'm quite happy with how it's turning out. Critique from all of you has of course played a role in it's progress, so thank guys for the support!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketch002jumppackfli-5.jpg

Sepulverture
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
sorry guys, no time for a proper reply at the moment.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketch002jumppackfli-6.jpg

Sepulverture
05-14-2009, 04:37 PM
I made some changes to the compassion mood sketch, and did a lot of changes to the jump pack illo.

Here's all my entries, almost finalized. I'm thinking about how i want to add the defense drone into the illos. We'll see. Also adding a little mood sketch I did this afternoon to warm up.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/designprototypesheet001copy-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/ClericonOrthoSketchcompletecopy-2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchjumppackflight005.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion003c-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonfighting003.jpg

Sepulverture
05-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Here are the final renders for this project. It was long and hard and rewarding, I don't anticipate winning, I'll be happy if I even place, but the networking and experience was well worth the effort. Good luck to everyone who entered.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/ClericonTextImagecopy.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/designprototypesheetcompletecopy.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/ClericonOrthoSketchcompletecopy-3.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchjumppackflight-1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/sepulverture/clericonmoodsketchcompassion003c-2.jpg

DanielCortes
05-21-2009, 06:22 PM
hey bro, good going! It looks like your final entry could have used a little more work, but I think that happened to almost all of us, the important thing is we all learned a lot, it was great fun, your concept was also real cool. Anyhow, just wanted to drop by and thank you for the support and good comments, it was nice getting to know you at this comp all the best and see you soon. :thumbsup:

MartinNielsen
05-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Nice work :thumbsup: The green color gives it a great scifi feel.

Fugu7
05-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Hey man, great job! Good to see you saw this project through to the end. The Ortho's and Compassion sketch turned out especially nice. I'm sure you learned a lot from this project can't wait to see your progress from this point.

Sepulverture
05-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Live2contage - Thanks for the words man:) I agree, it could have used more work. Unfortunately my schedule in the second half wasn't very conducive to working on this thing, but admittedly I could have put a lot more effort into it during the time I did have. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks again man!

Martin - Thanks :) I thought the green color looked good too, should have worked it into the whole composition more though. thanks again

Fugu - thanks for the compliments man:) I was pretty happy with the results of the orthos, although they could have been more detailed. In retrospect I wish I had chosen the jumpack illustration instead of the compassion illustration, but ce la vie. Next time will be so much better. Where is hte link to your dom war thread?

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2009, 03:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.