PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 3D - Izuael - Hedgehog Warlord

Izuael
03-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah you read right! Not only the big fellas are in the war you know!
As we will probably see a lot of demons and monsters this year I want to move away from that and do something else, a hedgehog warlord!
Since this is not a 'fantasy only' world I'm thinking this hedgehog have been underground for a long time, not wanting to meddle with the craziness going on above.
His magic thingie will probably be some big kickass weapon which turns him into a killing machine.

Well we'll have to see, i might change my mind entirely. That is what this first phase is for after all. [edit] Hah 5 minutes after posting I changed my mind from gnome invoker to hedgehog warlord. I hope this hasn't been done before... :p

Firstly, here is a rough timeplan. Might come in handy.
I'm doing my bachelor thesis at the same time so I won't have the luxury to spend lots of time every day on this. :/
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7343/dw4timeplanizuael.jpg

Latest progress:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1826/dw4readytosculpt.jpg

FrozZT
03-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Yay! Hedgehog warlord sounds awesome! :p Sound way more interesting than a gnome invoker i think.. Cant wait to see your designs.

-Niklas

SebastianWunnicke
03-17-2009, 03:54 PM
cool, your idea is very strange and interessting, i think i never saw a hedgehog warlord before ;)

erik_j
03-17-2009, 05:55 PM
wow hedgehog?! how to that off in 3D? :D intriguing idea!
thanks a zill for that timeplan! :D I'm allergic to scheduling, planning etc so glancing at yours will help me have a slightest :P good luck!

Izuael
03-19-2009, 10:55 PM
:]

First rough sketch. Want to paint more but school at 8.15 AM tomorrow. Bleh.

I've counted a bit on the back spikes, if they are 3 polygons each I can do 333 and use up 1000 polygons. 333 spikes sounds pretty much, but we'll have to see. 3 polygon spikes might be a bit too rough though, what you think?

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1824/dw4sketch1.jpg

I kind of like where this one is going, will try make some more variations tomorrow.
Good night!

FrozZT
03-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Yay, its on! Nice sketch m8 ;). That guy could be awesome when you develope it for sure... Ill be waiting for some more sketches, ill try to give some input later. Keep it up!

-Niklas

erik_j
03-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I would say use 6 per spike on half or more of all spikes and make an ever so slight curve (would it look too simple otherwise?) and then maybe a cloth that's pulled over and through the spikes, penetrated by them and covering his back a bit in towards the skin and you won't have any problem with the meshing (normal sense of the word) of the spikes when the back deforms... either that or fur?
just some thoughts :)
would you mix the geometry spikes with billboard spikes btw? perhaps for those that don't protrude above the rest so you safely cannot see their flatness?
double sided polys are allowed :)

looking cool anyways!!

Garmonbozia
03-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Hey Mikael, I remember you from the concept art course we took over the summer. I like the idea of a hedgehog, itīs different :)
Just keep in mind that we only have 10k tris to use, not 10k polys. Hope you can make the spikes work though. Looking forward to seeing the result.

nellement
03-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Nice start and don't think about polygons at this stage just free your mind:)

Akiman
03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Wee! Looks sweet'n nice man :D. Keep it coming!

Izuael
03-22-2009, 02:48 PM
FrozZT Thank you mate! :)
erik_j Great suggestion, I will certainly look into that when it's time for the spikes. Everything to keep the tricount in check!
Garmonbozia Thanks! Nice to hear from you, will you take the concept art II course this summer?
nellement Thank you, I'll try to not hinder myself with the tricount and so on, just let loose at this stage.
Akiman Thanks!

Here some more sketches, I just did what jumped into my mind. I might continue on these, mix 'em or just scrap them for some other idea. As always your thoughts are welcomed. :buttrock:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3823/dw4sketch2.jpg

So far I haven't looked at references at all, so I think next is to gather some of that.

g3p
03-22-2009, 02:59 PM
2. it's i think. good ideas
i waiting for more post
congratulaitons!

Intervain
03-22-2009, 03:02 PM
I really like the idea of a hedgehog. great. Love the head nr8 but it's a bit too close to the Warhammer rats - perhaps changing the eyepiece a bit not to have that pepperpot look would make it less so. As for the body I dig both 3 & 4 :thumbsup:

nellement
03-22-2009, 03:08 PM
8 with 4 and leg armor plates from 2 great sketches

erik_j
03-22-2009, 03:25 PM
wow awesome! :D I don't like the robotish cubish shapes like on #2 but that helmet is super awesome! :D too bad I like the face aswell :/ maybe could have it pulled up in the final pic and in another show it down..? for body proportions I put my bets on #5 :) keep it up!

namnocilis
03-22-2009, 03:28 PM
the hedgehog concept it really awesome.. i was wondering how it would and then when i saw the sketches.. man! its mindblowing, thats one hedgehog that we should never mess with..
lol.. the snack is cool, is he going to carry it around..
sketch 1 looks really huge.. the gaint claw kind of thing is really threatening
sketch 4 has a bit of sonic hedgehog feel
sketch 8 i really wonder if he would be able to see through that helmet kind of thing
eager to see next update..

wenart
03-22-2009, 04:37 PM
I like the number one, seems very strong :D

FrozZT
03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I think eric_j took the words out of my mouth.. I do like 5, the forearms/hands and his head looks very cool. I also like what you did with the spikes in nr 4, Maybe dont just do 4 big ones like that, but instead do some smaller and some bigger ones, create some movement and variation, maybe some with different accesories attached to them. To me he would fit so much better as a tribescreature, like the ewoks! :) Maybe try some thick leather armor designs or something. Right now it he looks like, "man wy do they make me carry this shit on my back, i just want to throw it from a cliff!" Kind of like one of those tiny dogs in some uncomfortable fashion clothing. The lower body looks ok but just the same as the rest though not as interesting. From the chest and up it looks kind of pasted on to the belly. Haha love the snack! The helmet is really cool also but takes away from his person and kinda makes him a random soldier i think. lets so some development! :) I bet it'll be great! ;) Keep it up!

-Niklas

erik_j
03-22-2009, 09:44 PM
yeah! FrozZT made a good point there. animals want to be freeeee :D like in sonic! but that helmet was deadly cool though!

CGsavant
03-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Is it just me, or should he definitely have a rail cannon mounted on his back? lol, looking good man, I especially like the form of the one with bigger mechanical arms and the back/shoulder plating. This one will definitely be interesting to watch!

Izuael
03-23-2009, 12:17 AM
g3p Thank you!
Intervain Hehe I felt in the back of my head that I knew I had seen it being used somewhere, if I'm going with a helmet I will probably let it be more open and use something else besides the pepperpot look. :)
nellement Ah so you want full body armor? Might be cool.
erik_j Thank you, I too like #5. Yes, some armor parts got a bit of a mecha look, I like the arms and neck cover more then the torso and leg parts. But I'll probably redo the whole thing anyway (armor that is)
namnocilis Hehe thanks! Yeah he will probably carry the worm in some way or another. :) Yeah the huge hands idea sounds like it could be awesome. I'll probably make more sketches around that.
wenart Hehe yep. :D
FrozZT Really nice ideas mate! Thanks for taking the time. :) Might be harder making him look like a hero character with leather gear etc. but it definately sounds like it would make more sense. And I like the ewok part of it.
CGsavant Haha I actually thought of that in the beginning, a railgun on his back. But are guns allowed?

Uff been doing some schoolwork, and didn't sleep much the other night so no exciting update now. Just some googled references, I like the albino hedgehog. It has red eyes (one of the CGS colors if I'm not mistaken)
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5205/dw4refs1.jpg

Going to try get some sleep and go up early and sketch some mooaarr! See you soon!

Shagrath
03-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Hey! Things are coming along nicely I see! I'm psyched to see what this will turn out like ;P As people before me I like the proportions of nr 5 the most. Think it looks great.

As for the spikes. Maybe you could layer them in a different way. Instead of having them point straight out, perhaps they could streamline a bit with his body. That way maybe you could gett off using alpha to mask them out.

... anyway, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with. Keep up the awesome work!

Trybal
03-25-2009, 08:20 AM
I would like to see your take on using #6 and adding armor only to the head and little legs, leaving the hulking legs uncovered. Give it a try. :arteest:

Akiman
03-25-2009, 09:45 AM
i liked 1st and 3th sketch and 6th with different gun and armor designs :D

also albino hedgehog is a different idea. It should be nice :D .

Izuael
03-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Shagrath Thank you! Yeah will be fun to see if I can pull it off at all. But it's a challenge. :)
Trybal Interesting idea. I'll have to try it out.
Akiman Nice suggestions! Yeah I also like the albino idea.

At the moment I'm working on a frontview of sketch #5, since most of you liked it (and so did I) It's not entirely done yet though, yesterday was mostly spent socializing and drinking instead of sketching. :beer:

I've also come to an agreement with a classmate (DimitrisT) over at Polycount, that if he wins I will run naked over a 150m long bridge into town. And if I win, he gets to do it. :cool: Now I don't really think neither of us are going to win because there's just too many good entries, but atleast it spurs us to do our best. I really don't want to make that run!

New sketch will be up soon!

Ferx
03-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey Mikael,

Really great concept and sketches, like a lot your idea!! Good luck and cant wait to see more updates!! Cheers! :beer:

Izuael
03-28-2009, 05:42 AM
Ferx Thank you! :)

Here's a front view I'm working on, it still needs spikes and other details. What do you think so far? It's based on the #5 sketch I made earlier. When I'm done with it I'm gonna start try different outfits on it. And also make a side view, atleast that was the plan.
The face feels a bit silly so far.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1952/dw4sketch3.jpg

Vor-Rath
03-28-2009, 03:45 PM
I had a completely different idea when I first read you were doing a warlord hedgehog!
I thought it would be hilarious if it was basically a giant magic suit of armor, powered by a tiny regular sized hedgehog!

I don't know if I like the giant hands so far, I personally would like to see this guy with a huge body with small hands and feet... more like a hedgehog, I guess. But other than that, its shaping up!

I don't know, I think its the proportions or whatever that make me see badger, or mole.

Looking great! Keep up the good work!

namnocilis
03-28-2009, 04:41 PM
i am feeling that the new design has too much muscles.. i liked it having a tummy just like in the first set of images, the gaint armour will give that powerful feel.

Izuael
03-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Vor-Rath That's actually a nice idea. I had something similar in mind in the beginning, but I never sketched it down. Maybe I should? :)
namnocilis Yeah I think I agree there. The concept has perhaps strayed away a bit too far. Feels... generic? The badger feel might be because I haven't made spikes yet.

Hmm perhaps I need to step back a bit, slow down and make more fast sketches and don't get caught up in details just yet.

nellement
03-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Nice progress,make those sketches agree with below posts

sadrack
03-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi Izuael

very good concept you have, maybe you can use the the sting for some kind of armour, i like the idea he can roll and use maybe for attack, Keep up the awesome work!

FrozZT
03-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Hey m8! :) Keewlt! Nicely done! Here comes my very picky crits. Dont forget to question the crits either, always! Like you said, maybe try and ignore the details and work/develope on the bigger shapes more. Right now he's a bit overall beefcake. From the top of the head to the wrist there's kind of a straight line going there(with some bumps but basically a line), it makes the arms kind of resemble logs and with the small wrists and big hand the hand looks kind out of place on the arm. The feeling that the arms give is subject to taste and doesnt really look bad, though I'd appriciate, actually throughout the whole figure if you'd forget about anatomy for a bit while playing with shapes and just find something that looks/feels good/exciting. And maybe try to work as much you can with bigger shapes until you go down to the smaller one and finally rendering details. The thing that botheres me most about the arms is still that the hands doesnt meld on them very well. The hands themself looks really cool i think, the size could either be adjusted or bring it together with some shape inbetween forearm and hand. I like the shape of the feet they looks really cool and the front tale is sweet aswell! ;) Yea the face looks a bit sweet right now but mostly to simplyfied i think. My suggestion would be to put alot more work and detail into the face/character of him. Overall its still a nice and quite balanced design, but i think you could really do better. I'd like to give this advice, let loose more and try to use your feelings more than your knowledge. Use the force Michael! But seriously i know you have it all in you, just gotta figure out your way of working it.

Keep up the great work!! :)

-Niklas

Izuael
03-29-2009, 01:20 PM
nellement Thank you, I will try and do that. :)
sadrack Thanks and a nice idea. I think I must come up with something like that to keep the poly count down in the end.
FrozZT Thanks for that indepth crit man, I can always count on you! :love: I will make a bunch of more sketches, and try keep it fast and loose. This latest version wasn't well recieved, I don't really like it myself either now hehe (but it was fun to paint!)

I will post more stuff soon!

Izuael
03-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Sorry for double post. :D

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4171/dw4sketch4.jpg

DTRAN
03-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Thats pretty fricken sweet! totally digging the design and really like #1. keep going!

MartinNielsen
03-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Sweet indeed :) I really like the glow-theme in no.3. Great work.

erik_j
03-30-2009, 04:43 PM
awesome looking new armour sketch! appreciate it! \B-D/

Ataulfo
03-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Very nice character.:thumbsup:

keep it up:beer:

Seven
03-30-2009, 05:16 PM
3 is fabulous!

nellement
03-30-2009, 05:43 PM
2nd one with some parts from 3 is awesome

Izuael
04-01-2009, 01:11 AM
DTRAN, MartinNielsen, erik_j, Ataulfo, Seven, nellement Thanks guys! :)

Basemesh! (roughly based on the frontview I made earlier, but I will tweak it in Zbrush so it looks more like the ones in the latest sketch)
It's not very pretty but hopefully enough for Zbrushing!
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2284/dw4bodybasemesh.jpg

FrozZT
04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Sweet! I think you came up with some really cool stuff in that last batch.. I really like what you did with the armpads together with the spikes on his elbow. I also think its body is developing to something more interesting. The model looks nice so far.. The sideview looks quite stiff, but i guess its ment to while modeling. Just keep up the good work! :)

-Niklas

Obmoc
04-05-2009, 03:12 AM
Excellent concept can't wait to see more. Keep the great work.

Izuael
04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
FrozZT Thanks Niklas, I like where it's going too. :)
Obmoc Thank you!

Ok, been pretty busy with the bachelor thesis but started the sculpt yesterday, I quickly noticed that I could not use the symmetry tools because... well.. he is not symmetric. But it's no big deal, it will take longer time, but at least he will be uniquely sculpted everywhere from start which I would say is a good thing.
As you can see I've mainly worked on his right side, my idea was to make his bigger arm big as hell, as he uses it more to kick ass! the rest of him will mainly be fat, because he eats too much (that's why he will probably have earthworm snacks with him) He has too defined muscles on his right leg now, I will fatten it (and the rest of him) soon.
Started using Zbrush seriously just some months ago, so I'm still learning the tool as I go.
I want to finish his body before I add the armor, waste of time you might say, but it's fun!
Regarding the stiff pose, I will pose him awesomely in Maya later. :buttrock:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2081/dw4bodysculpt1.jpg

g3p
04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
wow, nice progress! i love 3 idea light within darkness, cool contrast, but like the armor to. brutal hedgehog! congratulations!

StefanoDubay
04-07-2009, 06:45 PM
hei m8 look good, like the fat, if you want go to www.digimorph.org they have cool videos of big rodents (maybe hedgehos as well) to "steal" some body parts from it and dehumanize this one.. just an idea :)

Izuael
04-08-2009, 12:31 AM
g3p Thanks!
StefanoDubay Nice find man! Thanks alot. :) Yeah he's a bit too human looking now, the legs will be bent properly later on and he will be more hunched. That comes after I've rigged him etc. First I just have to sculpt it all.
But I will look at that ref, and try turn his limbs more 'hedgehogly' :D

DimitrisT
04-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Oops I think something happened to your little friend there...

Poor little hedgehog(Sensitive viewers be advised) (http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/DimitrisT/Trash/hedgehog01.jpg)

Izuael
04-13-2009, 12:01 AM
DimitrisT Thank you man! You just motivated me to fight harder! :buttrock:

A small update to show that I still fight on, I've been busy with the bachelor thesis still. I'm pretty far behind my little schedule now for DW hehe.

I had a new idea today regarding the story, the hedgehog was underground somewhere hunting for earthworms when it stumbled upon a forgotten magic armor, the armor merged itself with the hedgehog and earthworm, forming some kind of symbiosis with them. The armor 'grew' on the body, piercing the skin and becoming one with its host. The metal is strange and dark, with irregular shapes. Cursed perhaps.

So yeah, here's the simple basemesh I did for the armor, I've also begun on the backspikes. I want them to look evolved too, like hairs you see in extreme magnification. He will have some kind of rag covering his back too, where the spikes will pierce at some places and poke the cloth beneath at other.

Time for some zbrushing! :deal:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9885/dw4armorbasemesh.jpg

edit: made the earthworm and placed it all in zbrush.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1826/dw4readytosculpt.jpg

erik_j
04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
looking great! :D maybe you should spread the asymetry of that arm to the whole side of the body (more mouscle on leg under that arm? and shoulder+back making it bigger/higher beside the head than the smaller side?) and add some complementary weight on the other side hip for balance though?
easily sculpted in perhaps? :)
edit: maybe a shorter left leg? the long big arm might need some extra centrality in it's position.. so as to have him lean over, making the big arm's shoulder more central in the pose?
kutgw!

Izuael
05-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Bleh, I'm having a bad habit starting things I don't have time to finish. :sad:
The bachelor thesis is taking up all my time so I've decided to call it yet again.
It was fun and I'll try to finish my character when I get the time.

Good luck to all of you! :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2009, 09:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.