PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 2D - Sleepinglion - Banishment -Demon Lord

JacquesPena
03-17-2009, 12:10 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/sleepinglion_1981/DWIV_Banner-1.jpg

Updated: Final Concept

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/sleepinglion_1981/Character_Sheet_Final2.jpg

JacquesPena
03-17-2009, 06:04 PM
When I chose the class Demon Lord, I wanted a epic beast that would leave a lasting impression against the enemies it stands up against. The Beast I wanted to portray, must be frightening and have a beastly mass figure. A king on his throne so to speak.

His name is Banishment:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/sleepinglion_1981/Concept.jpg

The idea of Banishment, was inspired from a few odd monsters from a few stories. One being the Divine Comedy which I'm currently reading.

I did a few characters earlier last week to prepare for the battle, I picked this one after going through the horrifying of the horrifying. This should hopefully scared the hell out of our enemies.

Stutts
03-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Nice concept can't wait to see more

MartinNielsen
03-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Cool concept :) A true demon boss.

AG3D
03-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Really Nice concept...

this beast is awesome..

The result will Rock good luck !

Garmonbozia
03-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Awesome concept! :)
Looking forward to seeing how it will develop.

QuantumPixel
03-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Looks very good

pdriggett
03-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Absolutely brilliant concept, can't wait to see more.

GaeasHerald
03-18-2009, 02:10 AM
You call this a scketch? I would be happy if may final piece looked like this!
Amazing stuff.

GregStrangis
03-18-2009, 04:45 AM
I am so jealous! That is by far the coolest Demon-Lord concept I have seen in the contest. I hope you can do this big boy true 3D justice :bowdown:

HairySnowman
03-18-2009, 05:34 AM
Great idea man. Love the concept. Looking forward to seeing the developement of this character.

Jatep
03-18-2009, 05:49 AM
Really sweet design.
Looks Awesome man, can't wait to see more!

Nethermind
03-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Very befitting image for a Demon Lord.

DoomedSeraph
03-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Really nice concept, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

questionmarks
03-18-2009, 09:46 AM
nice concept...
but first thing come to me is maybe he is too clean...P..

JacquesPena
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Stutts - Thanks mate:thumbsup:
MartinNielsen - Thanks
AnthonyGelinas - Thanks..Hope he scares the hell out of people.
Garmonbozia - Thanks!
QuantumPixel - So far so good.
pdriggett - Thanks
GaeasHerald - Consider it a sketch I worked on for 3 hours.
GregStrangis - I hope also to do it 3d justice.
HairySnowman - Thanks mate.
Nethermind - I think so too, the idea as throne surely did help.
DoomedSeraph - Thanks dude.
questionmarks- I'll throw more blood on him.

Thanks all for the comments.

Phase 1: Concepting Still

Logo: I possibly might be designing any body art around the logo. My first idea is carve the logo within his stomach. Bloody and pretty disturbing version, but it would give a more frightening sense. Plus, it would commemorate CGsociety team as a well know symbol on the battlefield.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/sleepinglion_1981/Sketch4.jpg

As far as symbolism is concerned, to represent Cgsociety I would have to give credit to the logo creator. It does fit my character very well, as well as other body art I had in mind.

SebastianWunnicke
03-18-2009, 03:25 PM
wow, really (!!!) sick concept, the thing I like most are the centipede legs and the sharp shapes you used. Perhaps the face of the fat guy looks a bit to normal at the moment, compared to his creepy body

JIMMAZZA
03-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Great idea. The concepts are looking sick.

MartinNielsen
03-18-2009, 06:35 PM
I agree that the logo fits the character very well. And with that belly it will be hard to miss :)

Zoox
03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
awesome looking image!!! he has a nice wieght to him. and I dont mean in the since he is fat... ;) lol

kblackwd
03-18-2009, 07:53 PM
I cant wait to see the blocked in version of this guy in 3d, I'm sure you will do him justice even though he is awesome.

Digiegg
03-18-2009, 09:34 PM
dude... awesome concept... :bowdown:

digiboxoffice
03-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Sleepinglion hi, great concept but...
it reminds me very very much one work from previous year of DWIII -

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/team3/preview_finals_1_3649.html

there is nothing bad in it, but i'd reconsider the idea.

good luck:)

StefanoDubay
03-18-2009, 09:57 PM
nice concept, Justr a question tho... wht happened with the (NO HUMAN ELEMENT) rule for demon lords?

JacquesPena
03-18-2009, 10:17 PM
SebastianWunnicke- The face is a little regular. But I will experiment in that.
JIMMAZZA-:thumbsup:
MartinNielsen- Indeed.
Zoox - Thx.
kblackwd- Thx
Digiegg- Thx

digi_est - Now that I seen this..btw thanks Digi_est for catching this, I may reconsider changing this up. Your right it's too similar.

StefanoDubay- I thought about that, I'm still re-researching the no human elements for this. Thanks for the reminder.

GregStrangis
03-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Wow I totally forgot about Chudd from last year, I remember seeing that posted on Zcentral, I think yours still has a uniqueness to it tho, maybe some minor changes here and there and you could break away from the likeleness, anyways I am sure if you change you will come up with something even sicker =)

nellement
03-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Wow pretty awesome!! :beer:

Vindicate
03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
This is sick dude... really like your idear.. keep rocking!

JacquesPena
04-04-2009, 05:54 PM
GregStrangis- Thanks for the support.
nellement- Appreciated dude.
Vindicate- Cool thanks!

Alright So I took some time off and rework some creative ideas. So I'm going to go as horribly frightening as possible. An intimidating character is a good one on the battlefield.

A quick update, I have gotten some good feedback and will be entering the 2d challenge. Due to time and work, 2d is more the way to go for me.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/sleepinglion_1981/Character_Sheet.jpg

GaeasHerald
04-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Good to see you're back in the action Sleepinglion, update looks good. It truly is a scary monster!

DeadInTheAttic
04-04-2009, 09:13 PM
But my first reaction was that I thought about a Cerberus-like dog-creature-thing, relaxing by lying on the ground. The second sketch is more persuasive. I like this apart-stuff-slime concept.

JacquesPena
04-06-2009, 02:17 AM
GaeasHerald- Good to be back!

DeadInTheAttic- I'm pretty found of the slime for this one, so I'm glad I got some feedback from it.

So I'm going to be taking this week off of production work, but I managed to knock out some more concepts. The more conceptualizing the idea the better.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/sleepinglion_1981/Character_Sheet_D.jpg

GregStrangis
04-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Nice update, I would have loved to model your first concept :scream: You got put up on every spy thread for it man but the new direction is coming along great as well. Looking forward to seeing how this guy pans out!

namnocilis
04-06-2009, 03:18 AM
wow! Great Concept! deadly character.. i liked the previous one much better ( post #29) with all that yellow blood. Man! you are sooo good in both 2D and 3D.. Awesome! :buttrock: Great Going! looking forward for more updates..

cptcrandall
04-06-2009, 04:58 AM
your manyness of great awesomes inspires me to greatknees....ok, seriously. your stuff is badass and I am totally looking forward to seeing how you rock it for our team...

TuBui
04-08-2009, 01:25 AM
your 2 latest one rocks! i dig

xRaZx
04-08-2009, 01:34 AM
This is looking cool. I think the original concept as well as this one are both very strong. This one seems a bit more epic and may add up for a really over-the-top final illustration. Good work so far!

redmonkey
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
duuuude!
sick work man - really loving how he is coming along. I'm digging your yellow version, possibly because its slightly similar to mine and I'm just picturing them both causing hell together. Love how clean your rough stuff is too (a problem I clearly have).

Anxious to see where this goes dude. keep it up!

DefiledVisions
04-09-2009, 09:31 PM
your concept is sick! can't wait to see ut unfold!

JacquesPena
04-10-2009, 04:24 PM
GregStrangis- The 1st concept was great...I feel it was a waste cause I fell in loved with it.

namnocilis- Im putting the yellow blood back in...red makes it just seem like a blood bath. Which is the point of course.

cptcrandall- Rockin it as much as I can rock it!

TuBui- Thanks bro!

xRaZx- Im glad someone is seeing as epic...I kinda feel that based on the design, it has to be.
redmonkey- They will cause hell together..lets do this:beer:. I spent this week cleaning up the design, my stuff was a little messy to begin with, especially with the new design.

DefiledVisions- Thanks..it is officially unfolded.

Final Concept- All right, so I took the week off to define and really think about the character. Cleaning up the body head and redesigning the worm/centipede mount.

The major problem was the mount design. Basically its a hive for the worms with a armor plated skin. The skin is made up of the same material as the worms top portion of its body. The function of the worms is the inner mouth is hidden within the top skin. Flaps reveal when its mouth opens.

I will probably stop on concept'n for this character, focus is more on design and style from here on, With the time give of course.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/sleepinglion_1981/Character_Sheet_Final2.jpg

nellement
04-10-2009, 04:38 PM
killer design so far

GregStrangis
04-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow man what an awesome update! I love when things are explained as to what each aspect of the character does or is for. I am adding your character to my choice of next dude to model after the competition if you don't mind of course :thumbsup:

Phill99
04-11-2009, 03:21 AM
The character you got here is totally BADASS! I wouldn't mess with him! Keep up the good work, awesome concept.

DanielCortes
04-11-2009, 10:58 AM
That looks pretty freak’n incredible, can really figure it out, but I would hate to run into that guy in my kitchen snaking on my food :eek: . Keep it up hermano. :buttrock:

cptcrandall
04-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Looking really awesome man....definitely gonna be competitive for a good finish with this...

facosta
04-12-2009, 02:41 AM
hwy man, looks great so far. I really like your line work and sketch style. I can see this beeing a pretty nasty thing, but in a good way :P. Looking forward to seeing some more.

Sifer
04-12-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm speechless bro, great concepts and character development. This looks like it's going to be one fun sculpt, get those custom alpha brushes ready;)

DefiledVisions
04-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Oficially unfolded indeed! Time to start brianstorming final illustration now? can't wait to see what you have in mind!

ChaosShannon
04-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Wow I like your character and I think it is going to be super hot when it is done...

Dominance War IV
Son of Ra (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158)

JacquesPena
04-19-2009, 02:28 AM
nellement- Thx!
GregStrangis- If your up for it..Be my guess.:bowdown:
Phill99- Thx!!
live2contage- Cool thx.:thumbsup:
cptcrandall-Thanks for the encouragement.
facosta- I'll make it nasty as possible..so much even I will get sick looking at it.
Sifer- Thanks!
DefiledVisions- It is officially time...officially time.
ChaosShannon- If I can get it done!Ha

I took a short brake from doing more work, But I managed to do one more Design for my concept..and the last before the final illustrations.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/sleepinglion_1981/Character_Sheet_H.jpg

Bri_Spencer
04-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Wow.. Insane concept man. Easily one of my favorite concepts of this competition. Amazing work!

Soggyclog
04-19-2009, 05:13 AM
Brutal character you have here! Great style too :)

GregStrangis
04-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Just sick dude! I would def be up for it as it would push me to the extreme, so many subtools he would be haha, hey get working on that concept and modeling sheet so I can get a head start!

JacquesPena
04-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Bri_Spencer-:thumbsup:
Soggyclog- :thumbsup:
GregStrangis- :thumbsup: On it as we speak.

So I started doing some coloring ideas for the supposedly final image. I figured I can get this out the way since I will be too busy to get more work done. This pose is the first that came to mind, a battle scene vs enemy forces in a world of chaos. As the creature mauls through enemy lines, disintegrating his enemies in a horrific way. That's all I got for today.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/sleepinglion_1981/Sketch_Final.jpg

DanielCortes
04-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm not generally a person that gets scared, but I'm not looking at this thread again before I got to sleep, yeah and my kid would probably love it, I-ll show her when she gets up. and you must leave those signs on the final comp it would be hilarious. One idea just came to me, maybe you could have one tentacle coming up from under the ground, bursting out yes, and he could be eating someone or maybe steeling their sandwich :buttrock: , I think the sandwich thing would really piss me off is it happened to me , because... actually I'll shut up, all the best amigo :beer:

ChaosShannon
04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
It think your is beyond word man. That Is what I am talking about. Top one is the one I would choose. Like I said before can not wait to see the end product..

Son Of Ra (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158&page=1&pp=15)

FranciscoAlvarezDelgado
04-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Awesome work man. I really like the style. I find it very stylized but with a lot weight and movement to it. Really nice line work too, very crisp very comic book like (in a good way!)

I was wondering about the way you aproach stuff.. do you draw the piece in paper first and scan and color in Photoshop of painter? or do you go straight to digital and draw your line work in the software?
hope you dont mind the questions and thanks in advance.
congrats.

Stutts
04-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Looking wicked man!! Keep it up!

Nikolay
04-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Great sketches, im very like sketch in post 50! Get make this sketch for color illustration!:)

TuBui
04-23-2009, 01:31 AM
When I look at this, I was like wtf is this? I donno, but i looks cool as hell. Keep it up mate

GaeasHerald
04-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Wow, this is crazy! It has a strong impact compostition and pallette, which is perfect for this challenge.

ChaosShannon
04-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey thanks for the comment I think your right about making him a lot of blood. I have a ? for you how long does it normal take you to o your coloring for your pieces?

ChaosShannon
DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158&page=2)

JacquesPena
04-26-2009, 01:22 AM
live2contage-I will through in a sandwich as an Easter egg! I would like feedback from your kid btw...unless it scares her..and she starts crying..then..don't let me know if that happens:D.

ChaosShannon-Thx for the support:thumbsup:

FranciscoAlvarezDelgado- Good question. Normally I do a scratchy sketch on paper, scan it, and use Autodesk Sketchbook to redraw it and clean it up..bring it in photoshop for coloring..although a small percentage of the time I go directly in photoshop and redraw it there..But I'm more fond of using Sketchbook. Hope this helps.

Stutts- Doing my best..:thumbsup:
Nikolay- Thanks:thumbsup:

TuBui- I'm not going to lie..I looked at it a few times earlier in the concepting..and said.."Chirst! what is this thing?..at least it looks cool".:) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

GaeasHerald- Lucky for me I was able to actually come up with a composition that suits this character..but we'll see when it's cleaned up.

ChaosShannon- Another good question...If I was working on it full time..1 week with my schedule. But in reality case..at least 2 weeks, which is about the rest of the time for this compeititon.

So I decided to clean up and create the modeling sheet. This is all I can do while I still think and prepare my colored comps and starting creating a base for my final illustration.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/sleepinglion_1981/Modeling_Sheet.jpg

vikramvr
04-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Wow..That is brilliant.Great concept.Love the yellow blood.

Ferx
04-26-2009, 03:25 AM
Really great work, love the concept!! awesome!! Looking forward for more updates! Cheers!! :beer:

ario
04-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Awesome concepts!:bowdown: The composition for the illustration was so good.
I'm waiting for your updates.
Cheers:
Alireza

Phill99
04-27-2009, 01:25 AM
WOW!! this is OUTSTANDING! I cant wait to see the final piece. Keep up the good work buddy

Ghostesper
04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
nice concept mang! kind of reminds me of the final boss from Phantasy Star Universe. I also peeped your portfolio, I really digg you style. Anyways keep up the good work!

nellement
04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Thats sick design can't wait to see the comp.

DanielCortes
05-21-2009, 06:44 PM
I hope you made it, if not it was great meeting you anyhow (your concept was insane). thanks for the good tips, see ya around soon, take care :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2009, 06:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.