PDA

View Full Version : Character: Ronny The SpaceRodant

IronGoblin
07-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Howdy.

This is a SpaceRodant. They have discovered that by sending electric pulses through the ferincrystal they can look into the future (so far only about one second though). They mount a gadget doing this on their hat, and send the signal right into their brain.

Formal stuph:
Software: Lightwave 7.5.
Time spent so far: 4 hours

Im looking for feedback on the modelling. I've added wires so please let me know what i could do different or where i should clean up.
Everything is boxmodelled except the "hat". Used splines on that one.
Also, if anyone has suggestions for a colorscheeme (spelling?) be sure to give me feedback on that too.

http://www.firestorm3d.com/images/SRodent_small.jpg

Small wire (http://www.firestorm3d.com/images/SRodent_wire.jpg)

Larger version of the above images (205k):
Huge Image (http://www.firestorm3d.com/images/SRodent_large.jpg)

Sure hope i did everything right, so that my thread wont be deletet.

Cheers..

JamesMK
07-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Ooohh, I like this a lot! That is some excellent modeling and a very original piece of character you've got there...

Hmm... I would think that the ears should be pulled down quite a bit (simply by gravity, since they are so thin - but that depends on the intended real-world size of this rodent of course). Doing so might also give him an interesting expression.

I'm sorry, but I haven't got any good ideas about colors here... I always end up with pale yellow, light brown and grey myself. Boring.

Looking forward to your update.

Nelis
07-07-2003, 11:14 PM
ok thats some nice modeling, il try to give some feedback on the color scheme.

it depends on what you want really. is it gonna be realistic like or more cartoon like.
i personally think the colors of stitch(from the movie lilo&stitch) would work very good. some bright colors for the needed contrast.
but thats just one way you can turn into.......

good luck..

IronGoblin
07-08-2003, 08:00 AM
Thnx for the kind words, JamesMK and Nelis.
I'll see what i can do about the ears, but i was sort of thinking about letting some soft body dynamics take care of the drooping part. Sort of make them sag when he walks.

When it comes to the colors, i was hoping to make it more "photoreal" than cartoon like. But stich colors might be the way to go (blue and purple right?)

So anyone else got something to suggest? Anything on the modelling? Anything on colors? Or maybe suggestions on a body?

I was thinking maybe a humantype body, but with rodant hands/feet.

Cheers.

JamesMK
07-08-2003, 08:27 AM
Well, I guess I'd love to see this guy with a tall and skinny body, perhaps a vaguely human form with a potbelly and a slouchy back - not athletic. Rodentstyle hands and feet is a very good idea - would look really nice if toes and "fingers" were quite long and thin a la Nosferatu or something. Just my ideas, though...

For the skin - maybe a very short, smooth grey fur with some nice gradient shifts in color (look at a real mouse or rat - the colors change subtly as you get closer to the chest, on top of the back, into the genital area and on the inside of the thighs and so on).

IronGoblin
07-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Worked a bit on the gadget on the helmet today..

(Might be that this thread should be put in an other area of this forum.. I'll take my chances)

Closeup Helmet (http://www.firestorm3d.com/images/SRodent_helmetcloseup.jpg)

Lemme know what you think.. So far the feedback has been nothing but pleasent, so I know y'all can do better than that.. :)

Cheers.

JamesMK
07-09-2003, 12:32 AM
I'm really sorry, but that thing on the helmet looks quite perfect as well... I hope someone with a really bad attitude and too much blood in the caffeine comes along and rips this rodent apart soon... :D

I've been staring at that first picture for fifteen minutes more now - and I came up with one thing! The upper two teeth really should be a bit longer, not so wide, and with a slightly wider gap between them. Right now it looks almost like one big tooth unless you look really closely.

Hah! Now you've got to go back and change that! It'll probably be like 30 seconds of really hard work.

mefestofel
07-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Good work. I really like the profile, but from the front I feel like the lower jaw should be smaller, and that the lower part of the face should tapoer more. And mabe the lower jaw should recede a bit so that the front teeth are in front of it. One more thing: if you want to call this guy a rodant you should elongate his snout. Not too much but to make it ballance the ears a bit.

here's what i think you should do:
http://www.aocka.com/posible%20change.jpg

Goro
07-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Nice mefestofel!
I agree with mefestofel. It looks way better with the longer snout.

IronGoblin
07-10-2003, 10:47 AM
I see it now. Looks a lot better.. I'll try it out.. But not until next week. going to denmark for a few days... :-)

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.