PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 2D - Rhemrev - Monkey Mayhem!

rhemrev
03-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey people,

I thought I'd start a thread aswell, so i'm officially participating in my very first Dominace Wars, jeeeh! :D I've already done some quick sketches on the train to work today, I'll be sure to post them somewhere this week.

Still not sure what characterclass to pick though, so expect to see my first batches of Idea sketches to go all over the place.....I do know I want to do something with monkeys....can't go wrong with monkeys, right? :P

I'll probably work on my entry most during weekends (and 7 minute trainrides from and to work), here's the rough planning:

April 5th: Come up with main idea + rough design of character(s)
April 19th: Finalize design and create turnaround poses
April 26th: Detailed (pencil) layout + posing of Final Image.
May 3rd: Final drawing fully painted.
May 9th: Graphic Design and Layout of all images done + submission

And now let's hope life & work permit me to keep this schedule...:P

Stay tuned,
-Edwin

rhemrev
03-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey Guys!

I finally had some time to scan some of the doodles I did for this contest so far. I hadn't really decided on what characterclass to pick, so I did some random sketches in various classes.
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/rhemrev/DominanceWar/SketchDump_A.jpg
I never actually draw much tech stuff, but I rather enjoyed sketching out the above robots.....I realy did Ps3games like ratchet and Clank, and might do some more exploration on those kinda characters.

The last sketch of the above collage triggered me to go into a gollem direction, which resulted in below 2 sketches:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/rhemrev/DominanceWar/GiantSketch_B.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/rhemrev/DominanceWar/GiantSketch_A.jpg

I still have to decide what direction to go in, but the giants seem to have that epic scope neccessary to even stand a chance in this competition...:)

Basic story I cooked up while sketching out the last giant:

The world is at war, and a small village last resort is to flee to the small, stonehenge-like ruins at the rim of their village, of which Legends are told to have great power of protection in times of perril.

Never knowing this protection would come in the form of a giant gollem that awakes under their village. The main task of the gollem when activated is to gather up all neccesary supplies to start a new civilization far away from the battlefield.

Other Ideas/plotlines I came up with is to weave the story of Noah's arc in there.

'March of the Noahs' would be an appropriate title, as the gollem itself acts as the arc, collecting and preserving life in the form of pairs of animals, people and supllies.

A bit tougher to accomplish, but could be a good excuse to draw some cool animals :D

Well, that's what I got sofar, feedback much appreciated!

I hope I'll be able to do some more work on the contest this week, but as I'm in the middle of crunchtime at work (wrapping up development on Overlord 2, in stores this June! :D), I'd be surprised if I get any sleep at all...:)

Thanx for looking,

-Edwin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED IMAGES:
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/rhemrev/DominanceWar/Layout_WIP01.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/rhemrev/DominanceWar/Giant_SideView.jpg

GaeasHerald
03-24-2009, 03:51 AM
Edwin, the golem direction is the way to go my friend! I don't have anything against monkeys, but the golem sketches just blew me away, particullary the second one. :eek:
My only tiny suggestion is to distort his proportions a bit, while keeping the humanoid shape. For instance, making him really tall and thin or very short and wide.
It also might be interesting if he had no eyes at all.

Anyway, great start!

rhemrev
03-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Hey man, thanx for the comments! And yeah, I"m defenitely going to pursue the gollem/giant direction some more, and the no-eye approach might be a direction worth exploring. I do want to keep that friendly expression on his face he has now though. Might be a good idea to break up the gollem into individual design parts already, like the face, proportions, houses, etc, just to start exploring the theme and world this guy lives in..:)

thanx again, more sketches coming soon :)

-Edwin

FrozZT
03-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey man! Nice style ;). I like what you've been doing so far, i like the bottom two in the thumbs and the bottom giant. Make sure you do some work on your characterdesign without the distraction of surrounding environments aswell, so that you make sure you focus on the characters shapes and design. If the character is strong in itself you could then greately enhance that with an environment in the final illustration. I guess you are just warming up and playing with ideas, maybe keep doing that until you find something interesting to work with though. Keep up the good work!

-Niklas

MartinNielsen
03-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Nice stuff :) I think the bottom character on the first drawing looks most interesting. Either way, you have some good starting points in all your designs.

BaronImpossible
03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
The giants are cool but I actually prefer the fat guy at the bottom of the first sheet - he has great character. Keep the ideas coming!

syrez-one
03-24-2009, 01:50 PM
i like your style, very cartoony! your mini entry was great too! the guy baronimpossible pointed out, shows alot potential character to me too,. but the golem giants idea seem worth an exploration..

hope to see alot more of this great stuff :)

rhemrev
03-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Frozzt: some good points, thanx! Most of my sketches sofar were just to explore directions and ideas, but now that I've got the giant direction,it's indeed time to start 'designing'. Main thing now is to establish the 'base look'for the golem, indeed without all the environmental elements, and go from there. I already did some sketches with this suggested approach, and seems to be paying off. I'll hope to find time to post my progress tomorrow ok!

Martin: thanx man, generating ideas is always the most fun part, but making all design and story elements come together in 1 image, that's a whole other thing.....:)

Baron: Thanx for dropping in man, much appreciated! Everybody seems to be digging the more simple giant design of the first sketch collage, so I'm going to explore that type of face/build further in my next sketches....I think it's all about bringing emotion to the face, which seems to be lacking in my last 2 giantsketches....

Syrez: Thanx man, and yeah, the minichallenge was indeed alot of fun! Now if they'd only put up the ones that go through to the next round....*sigh* As already mentioned,I"m going to explore the base version of the golem first, and focus on the proportions and head/expression first, before bringing in all other elements. Expect more giant exploration sketches soon! :D

Thanx for the support all!

-Edwin

PeterBraeley
03-25-2009, 07:45 PM
hey, the golem sounds like a good idea, can't wait to see some more from you!!!

Love the sketches!!

rhemrev
03-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Between doing overtime and moving alot of furniture around, here are 2 sketches I managed to squeeze in. I'm currently exploring his build/proportions + look/emotion of the gollem.

I want him to look larger then life and damn impressive, but also give him alot of character. To do this I'll probably give him 1 distinct emotion, and 'sadness' might be the way to go to distinct my character from the rest of entries in this contest (as most characters are rather angry and violent if I look around the boards :)). But, I also tried a happy face, as an over the top - happy entry might be a really cool direction aswell.

Any feedback on the sketches is more then welcome!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/rhemrev/DominanceWar/Giant_Sad-1.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/rhemrev/DominanceWar/Giant_Headsketch_A-1.jpg

More proportion & head sketches coming soon :)

-Edwin

syrez-one
03-26-2009, 09:53 AM
the happy direction really made me smile, you're developing strong characterstics into your sketches. like with your mini i can fastly see what type of guy this is :) i like the happy one alot.. its different as you say!

rhemrev
03-26-2009, 02:05 PM
ha, if it makes you smile then the drawing did exactly what it had to do! :D I'll do some more happy and sad facesketches tonight, and post them tomorrow ok!

-E-

sadrack
03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi

I hope you can finish all the WIP and works and of course sleep too jeje:), i like a lot the happy face study, very fresh concept in the DWIV with all the demon around, i want to see more follow your thread, good luck.

DWIV. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5768911#post5768911)

rhemrev
03-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanx sadrack! Good to hear you regard my idea as 'fresh', because that's exactly what I want to do, make a difference through the idea and emotion of the piece, and less on how well it's painted, lighted or whatever........:) And about people following my thread; I should probably update more often, but I just don't have the time at the moment.And besides, I kinda like the low-profile, otherwise other people might start drawing similar stuff :P

Back to work,
-Edwin

Ferx
03-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Hey Edwin,

Really awesome sketches! great concepts. The giant character looks fantastic, great design and for sure a fresh approach to the DW concept :D Think the giant on the norm /clericon class can fit really great, you can use his "mother nature" powers to fix towns, forest , rivers, etc :D ( I get this image in my head looking the "cloud tattoos" designs on his skin :D), only a silly idea :) Again, awesome work ! and surely following the development of your concept! Cheers!! :beer:

P.S I open the second page on the thread, deserve another beer!! :D Cheers!! :beer:

madbot
03-27-2009, 12:17 AM
The giants are great. I do love sketch 2. I can see a storyline where enemy characters are suddenly shocked by a huge mountain moving and standing to attack them. They never realised the giant was watching them the whole time, waiting for the right moment. Looking forward to seeing more.

rhemrev
03-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Ferx: hey man! I was already thinking in that same direction, linking his powers to the elements of nature. In the happyface sketch I drew some some stylized swirls, which is the direction I want to take to indicate the power that drives him...and yeah, maybe take the swriling tattoo's a bit further aswell, making them glow slightly or something....either way, it should look very elemental and powerful, with a focus still on his character :)

Madbot: hehe, if only I could draw out a small story for this guy! :D Hmm....now I think of it....I might explore some quick storyboard thumbs as I'll be designing the village and surroundings, and how this guy erups from the ground, because that'll really help in designing the end image....so thanx, great idea! :D

-Edwin

daelon
03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
How! nice stuff :thumbsup: i like the second sketch too

DerrickSong
03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
cool sketch man, i like your style and the art directions, cant wait to see more post.

rhemrev
03-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Daelon: thanx! The second image is indeed the base layout I want to go for, I just have to push the frog perspective more, make him feel huge and make the rest feel tiny :)

Derricksong: thanx for dropping in! I have been working on another sketch, but I left my sketchbook at work today, so it'll at least take another day before I have somethign to post again :) As far as artdirection go, are you referring to the comments I've left at other people's threads? Just trying to push everybody's concepts I guess, there's just so many talent around these boards! :)

More stuff coming soon,
-Edwin

Stutts
03-27-2009, 08:34 PM
These are AWESOME!:bounce: Loving the design and personality! I'll be watching this one!

Nikolay
03-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Cool drawings, im will be glad see new updates here.)

rhemrev
03-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Stutts: thanx! Appreciate the support! I came up with with some addional stuff for my backstory, I'll post it tomorrow!

Nikolai: hehe, just have to find the time to work out my ideas some more, I'm even working saturdays (and sometimes sundays) these days.....dominance wars couldn't have a worse timing, but the constant flow of comments really motivates me like nothing else! So thanx! :D

-Edwin

GaeasHerald
03-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Yeah, the gentle giant is a good angle to your character. I also like that "stonehenge" in his head, as if villagers had to chant or do some sort of ritual to summon it.
Great visual storytelling.

rhemrev
03-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Gaeasherald: Thanx man! And yeah, I'm really trying to come up with a layout that tells a story...or rather, do setup of a story, and have the viewer's imagination complete the story :)

Here's an update on things. Because you guys responded so well to the happy giant, I thought I'd explore that emotion, and see how I could fit that within what I already had.

Update on the story:
The giant can be seen as a guardian of human kind, and relocates those who are in need in times of perril, including your house, yard and the dog in his doghouse. He'll take people out of the warzones, and brings them into a safe haven, in an as yet undisclosed location :P .

The final image should be an image of a asian father and son (wife might be killed in the war) waiting on a snowy hilltop, and the giant comes to bring his own (asian) house to him (i still need to update the house he's holding).

In the background you see a whole bunch of other people and nationalities who have already been rescued, standing in front of their own houses, which should create a rather weird skyline of architecture from al over the world (japan, russia, europe, etc.).

Fun extra idea is that I want to put in typical architecture that reflects each forum linked to Dominance Wars (Russia, Europe, japan etc), but I'm not sure if I can fit that in...:P

Oh, and I want the safehaven to be in a snowy mountain range, which'll hopefully add to the out-of-place look of all this architecture in the middle of nowwhere :)

And ANOTHER thing I might put in is the ongoing war in the veeeery far distance, visualised as some fire/smoke behind the mountainrange.

Layout WIP (combination of pencilsketches + painter):

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/rhemrev/DominanceWar/Layout_WIP01.jpg

Sideview sketch (done as a study before I started the above image}:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/rhemrev/DominanceWar/Giant_SideView.jpg

Oh, and I'll probably add some houses on top of the giants back (like in my first sketches), as he's most likely to carry around more then 1 house at a time :)

And that's it for now! As usual, all feedback more then welcome!

-Edwin

IrvinDosReis
03-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Very nice concept. It change for the usual martial monsters!

lefoosh
03-29-2009, 10:37 PM
hey, i really like the composition you've got going here. you can imagine the giant in some really earthy / wooden tones to balance the blues and whites of the snow..?

cryzeg
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Awesome sketches and idea Edwin!! This is getting better every day!!

I really like the latest sketch where the giant is bringing the house, very good perspective. And all the types of constructions, the people welcoming the new house... very very good idea!.

Maybe would be cool also, in front of the new house, in the ground, put grass and flowers to make more contrast with the rest so you can see better that this house donīt belong here, and comes from too far away...

Amazing work, Iīm looking forward to see more stuff...

Cheers!

Cristina

rhemrev
03-30-2009, 06:08 PM
lefoosh: yeah, that was indeed the idea, to have the gollem painted in warm colors (to emphasize his friendly nature), against the cold, unbarren lands as a backdrop. Also, being able to paint layers of snow ontop of the gollem/people/houses, will be an extra opportunity to add another layer of polish :)

Cristina: thanx for your ideas and comments, including the ones we talked about during lunch! They will defenitely enhance my design, and make the story even richer! When I have another version ready or some sketches to show, I'll be sure to drop by the animator's room as usual to get your opion! :D

More stuff to follow soon, I want to explore the father/son poses in pencil, and also sketch out a female with a windy dress that'll be standing in front of the house that's being deliverd by the giant. Also, I want to tweak the layout a bit more, especialy the right area should become more interesting. So, stay tuned! :)

-Edwin

Ferx
03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Hey Edwin,

Cool sketches mate!! Like the direction of your concept :D The giant size for the character is really cool and put a great feel on your idea. Maybe you can add some prehispanic structures too, only a wish (dont listen to me... only want to be protected by this great creature :D) Cheers !! :beer:

P.S. oh gosh! I opened the second page on this thread and now the third, deserve more beer and tequila, yeaaa!! Cheers!!! :beer: + tequila

Art2
03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Great sketches Edwin. I very much like the gentle giant.

What's his magical weapon going to be and what class?

Anyway great work!

rhemrev
03-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Ferx: hehe, thanx man! And i'll try to put in some mexican structures if I can fit them all in ok! :d And easy on the Tequilliaaa! :P

Art2: thanx for droppping in! Good to hear you like my concept, I'm not yet there but I'm getting there slowly! :) As far as the magical weapon goes: the rules state it can be an amulet or anything in that direction, so I"ve translated that into the StoneHenge like temple on his head, activated by the people in need. The magic that erupts from this temple is the energy that powers the giant, which is represented in swirly glowing tattoos all over his body. Only thing I have left to incorporate into the design is the cgtalk logo, I might make it part of the glowing tattoo's or something :) Better ideas welcome! :p

Cheers,
-Edwin

rhemrev
04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Here's a quick update on the layout.

I did separate pencilsketches (dog,woman waving, kids danching,father&son) on the train to work yesterday and today, and put them into the layout I already had.

I also added some people on the foreground to frame the picture a bit better, but I'm not sure if I like it yet. :)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/rhemrev/DominanceWar/Giant_Layout_wip2.jpg

By the way, does anyone know if putting in all these extra people is within the rules of the contest? Because most entries I've seen sofar only have a single character posing....

As always, feedback much appreciated :)

-Edwin

Stutts
04-01-2009, 09:17 PM
:bounce: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)this is awesome man!!:buttrock: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#):drool: :buttrock: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) Keep it up. I can't wait to see more!:bounce: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

FrozZT
04-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Hey man! sweet stuff! I like your character alot, though i think you could definately develope it further.. It looks a little bit plain and like you threw those repeating smaller curves on to make up for it(looking at the sideview). I dont know maybe you prefer to keep pushing the design as you work on the final image. I like the head piece, im guessing thats the artifact. I do like the design it just doesnt look like you've worked through all areas and levels of the design. Maybe you plan on keep pushing it, i just got the impression you were done with it when i saw that sketch of the final. Anyway, keep up the great work! :)

-Niklas

rhemrev
04-02-2009, 12:22 PM
thanx guys! :)

FroZZt: I like to have a fairly good idea of my final layout first, but ofcourse I plan on elaborating the design of the giant, for which I'll probably do some overpaints of the sidepose I created. Feedback much appreciated though, I agree that the design must and can be pushed much further (I also still have to put in the CGTALK l ogo).

Cheers,
-Edwin

conor
04-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey i think this is one of the most originals i've seen. You got one great point of view and a good design. I also think that the house he is holding has people outside of it, and should be smaller in comparison to the perspective of the house. You got un awsome style , keep it up duuude!

rhemrev
04-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Conor: really cool to hear you think of my design as original, as it's hard to come up with something remotely interesting these days with so many influences from the internet, movies, games and animation. A collegue of mine mentioned my gollem looking like he could be part of the muppets, which was a rather cool observation, cuz who doesn't love the muppets! :P

I hope to do some more work on my entry this weekend, and try to design the big guy a bit further, aswell as some of the background elements.

Now I'm gonna take a peek on what you've been working on! :D

Cheers,
-Edwin

rhemrev
04-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Quick update: Very busy at work so update is gonna take a while longer. I'm planning on taking the layout I have now and work it out in detail the traditional way, in pencil, and color that digitally later on. With the pencil I'll hopefully get a bit different final look to my piece then most of the stuff around here :)

-E-

GaeasHerald
04-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Very epic rhemrev! This piece has a strong composition and gets the story across just perfectly. I like that it's a non-combative creature; that alone already sets you entry apart from others. Keeping the pencilwork in your final piece is going give it an even more personal flavour.
This is probably one of the most original and unique entries I've seen so far. Congrats!

aeonseraph
04-08-2009, 05:28 AM
Hi Edwin!
I really love the direction you took with your character. Very positive despite the fact that it's huge and can smash everything around him. Character delivers the right impression about him. The composition of the final illustration rocks, love it. :buttrock:
But i was wondering about the same thing as you are.
I also wanted to create a dynamic piece with lot's o fstuff going on but i dunno if it's alllowed. Because definately there is a difference between a winning pose and the entire action shot. :) I wish someone could answer this :D

Anyway i love your concept and i'm looking forward to see ho the final illustration will turn out. Ah and yes, i love your style btw :bounce:
Cheers :beer:

~Armand

Sellis
04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Some damn funky stuff goin' on here man, cool to see an entry based on kindness rather than kicking the living s&*% out of something :P Keep up the cool work rhemrev.

jett12
05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Not looked at this thread in a while, nice progress man, keep it up and finish!

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.