PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 3D - MartinNielsen - Slaughter Demon

MartinNielsen
03-16-2009, 10:56 PM
LATEST: Final beauty shot :)

http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/finalBeauty.jpg

FIRST CONCEPT:

http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/dw4_concept01.jpg

So, another dominance war is on the road :bounce: Like probably many other participants, I think I'll do one from the new class: demons. This concept is an abominationdemon. It doesn't use any weapons, but has a lot of deadly blades on the body. Furthermore this creature has a long tongue, it can use in battle. And it's very agile with 6 legs and moves very fast. The demon is meant to be a mid-range enemy (not a level boss), which needs fast reactions to beat. I'm not sure where to put the logo yet, but the "chest" could be a good place. This could also be the creature's weak spot.

I'm not gonna spent more time doing concepts, and I begin the 3d modeling right away. Last year I spent too much time painting, and I never finished my 3d entry :sad: Still I may change some things down the line, and the colors are not decided yet.

Good luck everybody :) Go CGS!!!

Ferx
03-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Hey Martin.

Really cool to see you in the DW IV :D

Great first concept, like a lot your idea, the tongue weapon, sounds cool!
Good luck and waiting for more updates ! Cheers! :beer:

Belian
03-16-2009, 11:32 PM
That's a very cool looking monster you got.
I especially like the upper torso design, reminds me of something from "The thing".

GaeasHerald
03-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Great to see you here Martin!
Your concept looks good mate, and as you say, the placing of the logo is hard. I think it would be wise to wait until you decide on the final pose of the character before putting the logo. Just a thought...

Best of luck buddie!

Crix Dorius
03-17-2009, 03:34 AM
I would die instantly just when I see it.

Nice one !!! :D

MartinNielsen
03-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Ferx: Hey ol' buddy :) Thank you :)

Belian: Thanks :) "The Thing" is a real classic!

GaeasHerald: Thank you :) I definitely wait placing the logo. And good luck to you.

Crix Dorius: Thanks :)

SebastianWunnicke
03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
really creepy, the anatomy and the colors are cool, but it think the face could be more evil, and perhaps he could need some armor or just some variation in the base color.

Donglu-LittleFish
03-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi, Martin! Already right into the action! Very intricate looking character, keep it up! :)

madshooter
03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Nice concept dude:thumbsup:

Vindicate
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Great concept mate!... Il stay tuned on this thread for sure

Nicom3Dcollege
03-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Nice concept mate :) keep it going

Toke1985
03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Cool concept!

thats what i call an Abomination!

GregStrangis
03-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Looks great Martin! Maybe just break up his symmetry alittle, I agree on working on his face alittle more as well, I imagine him to be extremely quick to the kill =)

FrozZT
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey! Yea i agree with GregStrangis.. The shapes and the distance between the shapes are repeted throughout the whole figure. I would forget any kind of detail inside of the siluette and start working with bigger shapes, and when you can say you have something that pleases you, go down one level and start working mid level detail and so on. It does look quite disturbing and slightly intimidating, so you've got that rolling already. Looking forward to some more stuff! :) Keep it up!

-Niklas

MartinNielsen
03-20-2009, 11:23 AM
SebastianWunnicke: Thanks for the feedback. Always useful :) I agree that the face needs more work.

Donglu-LittleFish: Thank ol' friend :)

madshooter: Another ol' friend, thanks :)

Vindicate: Thank you :)

Nicom3Dcollege: Thanks :)

Toke1985: Thanks :)

GregStrangis: Thank you :) Yes, the body structure needs more work. I'll begin blocking out in 3d. Then everything will hopefully get in place.

FrozZT: Thanks :) Nice feedback.

Akiman
03-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi Martin;:wavey:

Nice concept! It looks a bit like a giant centipede and they are feared by everyone:thumbsup: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

My only critic is i agree with Greg.''Abominations are disfigured creatures''

Since We'll see you're progress in 3D , i can't wait to see it :D

Good Luck!

CGsavant
03-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Very nice insect/humanoid anatomy, I think it might look even more disturbing with its head kicked back as if it were looking behind itself and maybe a second head/face is located in the throat, with a kind of pulled-plastic look as if the face is pushing against the larynx trying to escape.

Excellent work and I can't wait to see how you refine it.

MartinNielsen
03-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Akiman: Thanks for feedback :) I agree with you.

CGsavant: Thank you for your ideas :) I'll try those for sure during the 3d blocking.

MartinNielsen
03-22-2009, 01:30 AM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip01.jpg

And so the 3d adventure begins :) I'm the type of 3dartist, that really base my work on modeling with polygons. In fact, only the final stages with detailing are done in Mudbox, so espect a lot of passes with this base mesh.

As you can see, this first stage is very simple. But I can see, you guys have already given me some good ideas. Many thanks for that :)

GaeasHerald
03-22-2009, 03:10 AM
Nice, textures will do wonders for it. Maybe a scar or a missing limb could add a bit of variation, dunno.

inqy
03-22-2009, 05:10 PM
What a creepy-looking abomination. I love how it's coming along!

OKMER
03-22-2009, 06:57 PM
He Martin great to see you in!
Creepy start!
Have a great war buddy!

namnocilis
03-22-2009, 07:07 PM
the concept is awesome.. and the basemesh is already looking great! good going..

Ataulfo
03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Martin.

Great base model.:thumbsup: I like a lot the top view.
keep it up.:beer:

Windfeld
03-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Love your idea - the tall slim structure is going to make it creepy as hell :)

Looking forward to seeing your magic from mudbox ;)

Cheerio!
/W

MartinNielsen
03-22-2009, 11:31 PM
GaeasHerald: Thanks :) Yes, the textures will do a lot to this.

inqy: Thank you :)

OKMER: Hey ol' buddy! :) Any chance to see an entry from you this time?

namnocilis: Thanks :)

Ataulfo: Thank you :)

Windfeld: Hey co-worker :) The mudbox adventure won't start yet.

MartinNielsen
03-22-2009, 11:33 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip02.jpg

More work on the head and arms...

Donglu-LittleFish
03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi, really cool update, I can feel lot of movements and dynamics in this creature!

Ferx
03-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Hey Martin,

Really cool updates! Like a lot your first model, looks really well, specialy the head, great! Cant wait to see mor on your concept! Cheers my friend!! :beer:

MartinNielsen
03-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Donglu-LittleFish: Thanks my friend :) That's exactly what I want to show in this creature.

Ferx: Thank you my dear friend :)

MartinNielsen
03-23-2009, 11:24 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip03.jpg

Worked on the legs, body and tail. I think I need some different weapons on the arms to add some irregularities.

stridiggio
03-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey, You're doing an excellent work at this moment, I like the tale... I was thinking if some claws of the tale could be in the back of the arms, like in the elbow, would be more dangerous..just a comment,, Great concept :thumbsup:

nellement
03-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Really nice so far,check out this link for some inspiration on legs could be useful http://blepharopsis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Sepulverture
03-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Nice one!

I always like it when people make concepts that don't fit the stereotypical starcraft/warhammer super-armor soldiers or the daemons with 900 pounds of highly articulated elegant armor. I also like when people venture outside the use of hot chicks for daemonic/elven characters. I like beetle juice feel of the upper body of the creature, brings back memories:) I would change one thing, however, and that would be the direction of the horns/thorns on his tail.

I imagine that if he were to use the horns on his tail in an offensive way then it would be better if they pointed in the opposite direction so if he were to hit an opponent with his tail, or wrap something up in his tail then the pointed ends would dig into the object.

DanielCortes
03-24-2009, 08:18 PM
I also like how it's coming and the fact that it's not stereotypical (so hard now days), but in my humble opinion (total new guy), I think the head needs a stronger design, something more characteristic. I know your just getting started. But the mouth would look funny he had it closed, the lower jaw is a little to long, stuff like that.

If we push each other to the limit we’ll kick ass, big hug bro, and keep it coming!

RaresH
03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
I like the slender approach to the design. I think you're moving fast on the 3d and should explore a few more ideas. You should consider building up the concept some more by adding some more visually interesting elements. Reference last years 3D winner for some really cool surfacing. I think if you visit Alex's site, you might still be able to download a ztool of his character. Best of luck.

MartinNielsen
03-24-2009, 09:50 PM
stridiggio: Thanks :) Maybe I'll add some more claws, and the arms could be a good spot. But I don't want this character to be another "1000 claws"-entry, like many of the other entries.

nellement: Thank you :) Nice refs on that site :thumbsup:

Sepulverture: Thanks :) Glad you like so much of my entry. I won't change the horns at this time. But I'll evaluate them later, when I have a more clear view of the design.

live2contage: Thank you :) Yes, you're so right. Both the head and the rest of the body need some more design work. I actually thought the same bout the mouth yesterday.

RaresH: Thanks for the feedback and suggestion :) Always useful.

jett12
03-24-2009, 10:58 PM
This is looking good, reminds me of Earthworm Jim in hell or something, hehe...

Whats this rendered in?

MartinNielsen
03-24-2009, 11:42 PM
jett12: Thanks :) It's rendered in Maya with Mental Ray.

MartinNielsen
03-24-2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip04.jpg

I did some work on the head only this time. Fixed the mouth proportions and added some structure.

nellement
03-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Thats much better,face and legs are cooler keep up

Hexahedron
03-24-2009, 11:58 PM
I like the look of that head. Really menacing. Keep it up man!

Cheers

madshooter
03-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Very fast progress dude:). And yeah nice head.

MartinNielsen
03-25-2009, 11:35 AM
nellement: Thanks. Glad it looks better to you now :)

Hexahedron: Thank you :) That was the exact point of the change.

madshooter: Thanks ol' buddy :) Sounds like I'm on the right track again with this head.

daelon
03-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey.. another dw :applause: looks so interesting idea. I like too much the last render with a biger head and more detail.

Although seems to be a great character... so, have you think about the idea of multiple heads?

Ferx
03-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey Martin,

Really great updates my friend! Like a lot the new mouth on the concept, really great! The head looks impressive, same for the tail! Maybe the tongue can be like a serpent or something like that ( a bit like Alien´s tongue, but not rigid), only a silly idea :D Great work my friend, and waiting for more updates!! Cheers!! :beer:

Nikolay
03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Good character Martin! wery great anatomy design.

MartinNielsen
03-25-2009, 11:32 PM
daelon: Hey! I remember you from last year! :wavey: Thanks for your feedback. I haven't decided yet about multiple heads.

Ferx: Hey buddy :beer: Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup: I definitely work on the tongue later.

Nikolay: Thank you :)

MartinNielsen
03-25-2009, 11:34 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip05.jpg

More structure work... I still need to bridge the neck and shoulder part better.

MartinNielsen
03-29-2009, 01:12 AM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip06.jpg

More structure work...

Ferx
03-29-2009, 03:06 AM
Hey Martin,

Cool updates!! :D The development of the neck and torso, looks really great!! Cheers my friend!! :beer:

GregStrangis
03-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey Martin good update! Can't wait to see you start adding some imperfections on this guy!

PeterBraeley
03-29-2009, 10:26 PM
crazy dude, loving the shape, that's one deadly creature you got there, can't wait what you do next!

BaronImpossible
03-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Yep, I like that concept - I love creatures with many legs :0

MartinNielsen
03-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Ferx: Thanks buddy :)

GregStrangis: Thanks man :) I'm really in the thinking box about this one. I'm afraid that I remove some of the mobility in the anatomy, if I add too much distortion in the design.

PeterBraeley: Thank you :) Can't wait myself, because I'm really not sure what to do next!

BaronImpossible: Thanks :) Ahh.. So you're a legs man yourself, eh? ;)

Izuael
03-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi, thanks for commenting my entry!
Nice basemesh, it seems to come along nicely. Nasty demon, looks a bit like a centipede from hell.
He looks very, very specialized though, he looks a bit restricted with only a hook on each arm. Maybe give him some kind of fingers, thumbs etc. so he could grab things, throw them around, tear them to bits... aswell. :D

Keep 'em coming, I'll be watching! :buttrock:

madshooter
03-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Spine portion is looking cool. I know its in a WIP stage, Some folds/wrinkles on his skin will look good.

MartinNielsen
03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Izuael: Thanks :) I'll definitely change the upper arms for the same reasons you have. The lower arms with the hooks make more sense, because it can grab it's prey and hold them.

madshooter: Thank you ol' buddy :) Yes, I have a lot of Mudbox work to do!

Sepulverture
03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Looking good man!

I noticed something as I was looking through the images about the design of this thing. I like it a lot.

I would like it a lot more though with some minor changes.

I was thinking while looking at this, and I thought it would be cool to see some of it's bones, especially ribs and collar bones, and slacken some of the muscles a little bit. Not terribly, but just make it look a little less like a habitual gym goer.

Some rolls of fat and loose skin added to the lower parts of the thorax, or whatever that part of it's body you're calling it, would also look cool and add a little mood to the overall design i think.

Good work, keep it up.

adib
03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Realy nice progress.The concept is also great!:beer:

rasmusW
03-30-2009, 01:21 PM
hey martin, ol' buddy.

great start. i'm really intrested in seeing what you get out of this.
small suggestion... maybe you could work a little more with the length of either the front or backlegs. to get a more intresting and intimidateing look.

well, good luck on your further venture.

-r

MartinNielsen
03-30-2009, 10:56 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip07.jpg

I did some tweaks all around the body and added some extra small claws to lower arms. The upper left arm now has a nasty weapon!

MartinNielsen
03-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Sepulverture: Thanks for the feedback. Always useful :)

adib: Thank you :)

rasmusW: Hey buddy :) Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

Ferx
03-31-2009, 05:41 AM
Hey Martin,

Cool addition!! Like a lot the claws for the right upper arm, awesome ! Maybe for the left down arm, a crab style claw :D only a wish! :D Again, aweome work my friend! Cheers!! :beer:

DanielCortes
04-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Your design is taking shape and getting stronger, keep pushing it. Your probably going to start working on the legs now. I was thinking that a little more of a dramatic angle were the joints are wouldn’t hurt it any, and maybe make the back ones a little bigger for jumping (grashoperish), then again your probably already thinking of it…or something better, Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Sepulverture
04-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Turning out cool, but I think the size of the claws is a bit problematic, it kind of detracts from what I (personally) think is the focal point (the face).

Looking good though.

MartinNielsen
04-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Ferx: Thanks, friend :) I change the other top arm for sure though.

live2contage: Thank you :) I'll do more leg work.

Sepulverture: Thanks :)

MartinNielsen
04-04-2009, 08:25 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip08.jpg

New legs, new right arm and a bigger head. Oh... and new colors :)

namnocilis
04-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Looking Great! :buttrock: i liked the new arm, looks more balanced now.. though the changes in size difference of the head is very less it is having a much better feel now, Good work! :thumbsup:

hakanpersson
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi Martin!
I would like to suggest cutting down on a few elements of this "crazy-zbrush-monster"-thingy of yours. 6 legs, 4 arms, 6 eyes and so forth. For me that is just too much:scream: I would for example not mind a proper tail instead, and perhaps only 2 eyes and a nasty row of teeth to focus the viewer more onto his head.

It's got potential, but when you choose to go all in on sculpted creatures such as this, the competition is extra hard. And more work on anatomy and playing around with proportion to squeeze out more character (sometimes with very little effort) is needed I think.

Think it could help out if you also choose a more distinct theme, (like alien, insect etc) and really good all in. Harvest tons of concepts and try adding every good part of it.

Good luck!

MartinNielsen
04-09-2009, 11:02 PM
namnocilis: Thanks man :)

hakanpersson: Thanks for the input :) I think other people will probably feel the same way as you. Time is short though, and I'm not gonna change the design any further. But your feedback is always appreciated.

MartinNielsen
04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip09.jpg

Moved to Mudbox for detailing... I love this program so much :) I don't think these screenshots do the model that much justice though. But I hope you can see what's going on here :)

GaeasHerald
04-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Lovely, this guy is coming alive very well. Stuff like this make me wish I knew how to work 3D applications :blush:.

Seven
04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey cool, reminds me of Episode 2 and from me thats no bad thing! I wouldnt want to meet him in a dark alley of an evening :)

DeadInTheAttic
04-10-2009, 03:57 PM
It got something of everything. But perhaps too much.
I think, its tail would harm no one, for the legs are already there. Perhaps you should remove this tail and I would not fully erase the second pair of arms but make them almost disappear within its chest, something like evolutionary reduction, perhaps forming the structure of its chest.

And think about additional ankles, might also fit right to your creature.

Keep on ;)

MartinNielsen
04-10-2009, 06:13 PM
GaeasHerald: Thanks :) Well, just start up a 3d package and learn ;)

Seven: Thank you :) Yeah, I remember Episode2 perfectly too ;)

DeadInTheAttic: Thanks for the feedback :) Like I wrote earlier, I know how some people feel about this matter. But it's too late for me now to make that kind of changes though. So I'm just gonna finish detailing and colorize this fella like it is, and hopefully get the best out of it :)

MartinNielsen
04-10-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip10.jpg

This is the same model as before. But I didn't like the screenshots, so I put it into Maya and rendered these new screens. The details around the head are much clearer now :)

MartinNielsen
04-10-2009, 11:29 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip11.jpg

Did some arms work...

DarkBlueArt
04-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Hello

well, the details are very nice done, there is not much to criticise on them. But, like mentioned before, the whole model/silhouette is a bit to much. It looks just like horns, claws and other spiky things. It's a nice concept, but a bit "other the top". Maybe, while sculpting the body, you could add some round, oval or square details (maybe some piece of armor or shell) to to get it varied.
Just an idea.

so long

Ferx
04-11-2009, 03:38 AM
Hey Martin,

Really cool model, like a lot the new upper right arm, great. I think your model works really well, and when you make some poses for it, people can see the power of this demon :D ( Maybe you put him on a stance with only the two back legs , like an angry horse :D) The head and mouth are simply awesome!! Great work my friend!! Cheers!! :beer:

Yone
04-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Hey the creature is looking great.

I do see that there is a lot of variation between the limbs but they all are about the same scale. If the pincer on the left side was much larger it would create some more visual interest.

I love seeing so much creativity in the members of the new DW race.

DanielCortes
04-11-2009, 10:58 PM
It’s coming along nicely and I think your almost there as far as the design gose. I had an idea just for fun, because when looking at your dude there is almost to much balance (that sound so retarded…ha! :D ), don’t really know how to express it, because your guys is so wild with all these eyes and arms, but its not that, it’s the structure, everything is to in its place. First I thought you could make the back legs bigger and spread more to the sides, but that would take away from the tail. I I was thinking you try making the tail a lot longer (like a dragon or a little longer), like a wiping up from behind him, slaughtering hundreds with just one woosh. Well that’s a little exaggerated because my norm invoker would be there to stop him :twisted: . Anyhow try it if you have time. keep it up your doing great amigo :buttrock:
If you ever have time to drop by my place it would be cool,need all the help I can get.

NavigatorJones
04-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Ah this takes me back to my childhood! Its almost like Men in Black meets Day of the Triffids. I think although it is very balanced, this is something you can easily overcome with some dynamic posing. Kind of like giving him a disfigured sillhouette. And all those sharp and pointy edges and shapes will look awsome!

Bri_Spencer
04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Looking great man! Big, nasty, angry, and SHARP.

I really like the face and the claws so far. If you want to focus mainly on the detailing, I think focusing on the separation/connection of the joint areas would be a good place to focus on. Pushing where the joints are formed will make him look more mobile and will also show up well in the silhouette.

Cant wait to see more! :buttrock:

MartinNielsen
04-13-2009, 10:31 PM
DarkBlueArt: Thanks for the feedback :) Like I wrote before, I understand fully the points about this. I'm not sure I agree though. I don't have the time to such major changes at this point any way.

Ferx: Thank you, buddy :) Yeah, the final pose could probably help a lot. Good idea :)

Yone: Thanks for the feedback :)

live2contage: Thank you for the idea :) Like Ferx suggested, the final pose could do the trick. I get by your thread, when I have the time. And btw: Don't underestimate this creature from hell!! :twisted:

NavigatorJones: Thank you :)

Bri_Spencer: Thanks for the feedback :) Good suggestions.

MartinNielsen
04-13-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip12.jpg

More detail work. I think the joints could be improved.

johnwoo
04-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Looking really good, the idea is very strong and pretty unique..so I dig!....but I do agree with some previous comments about the definition in regards to the joints, I thought I would do a quick paintover to show what could be good for ya creature...hope it helps or triggers some more ideas...

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1414/dw4wip121.jpg

MartinNielsen
04-13-2009, 11:09 PM
johnwoo: Ah! Good stuff! Very useful :thumbsup:

johnwoo
04-13-2009, 11:11 PM
np..glad to help...:thumbsup:

ArtPotato
04-14-2009, 12:52 AM
wow! this is a great original design! I love how u have achieved the rock-like shell feel on it's back.

However I do agree with Bri_Spencer: the limb ball sockets would benifit from apearing less bound to the hard surface looking body shell as the creature looks slightly frozen in stone and not as mobile as the concept suggests.

Other than that, Looks great! :thumbsup: and I hope that one day I will be able to sculpt as well as you can :bowdown:

inmaya
04-14-2009, 12:52 PM
hello martin ! Cool to see your creepy monster with much details ! I like it !

Keep the good work!

Abrvpt
04-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Good work ^^

The face is pretty fierce but maybe the jaw needs to be a bit bulky and sharper. I also suggest to show some muscles on the limbs, try to look on bodybuilders and horses (they both have very apparent muscles), it will enhance your model and make it looks a bit more 'alive'.

Keep up !

Ferx
04-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Hey Martin.

The model looks really great :D Agree with some more definition for the muscles , and you can use some "reptile scales" on some part of your creature, dont know, only a nonsensical idea :D Great work my friend! Cheers!! :beer:

MartinNielsen
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
johnwoo: That is the kind of feedback, that is most helpful. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Darkra: Thank you :) I do an update on the entire body later.

inmaya: Thanks :)

Abrvpt: Thank you for the feedback :) In a later update it will hopefully look better.

Ferx: Thanks buddy :) Scales could work, but I actually like that wringled look it has now :)

MartinNielsen
04-15-2009, 10:59 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip13.jpg

I just did some tail and a bit body work this time. Not much. Next time I'll hopefully have a better muscle definition on the creature.

Locusta
04-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Martin, your creature gives me a shiver down the spine ;)

Great work so far. Keep it going. Just keep in mind, that the 1ok poly limit, maybe don´t give you the chance to make a smooth, snakelike tongue. More normal maped structures on it, could help you here, to fake it. But I´m sure, you will get good result in the end.

Thumbs up and all the best!

Ferx
04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Hey Martin,

Cool details, like a lot the skin for the neck and the torso area, looks awesome!! Great work so far my friend! Cant wait for more updates!! Cheers!! :beer:

Donglu-LittleFish
04-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeap! love all the details!

StefanoDubay
04-17-2009, 06:33 PM
yeeee, good detailing allover :) is he exoskeletal or endoskeletal buecause in the case of the latest i think u could really push it further giving it some tendon muscle and leverage points to make the movement functional!
cheers
S

BaronImpossible
04-17-2009, 07:14 PM
That's coming along really well, looking great. Only crit is that I'm not sure I like the non-symmetrical claws, but that's just personal preference. Keep it up!

DanielCortes
04-17-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't know what to say, simply great work it coming a long real good, I do agree with the 2 previous comments, but besides that it's look real nice, see you soon bro :beer:

chava
04-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey man, that's a cool creature you have there, i like the concept, and the model is coming really good, i would like to see it texture it. keep it up.

madshooter
04-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Wow Dude. Very nice details:thumbsup:

MartinNielsen
04-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Locusta: Thank you :) Yeah, this bumpy fella really demands clever use of normal mapping. I never really thought of the tongue actually. A normal map won't help making it smooth.

Ferx: Thanks buddy :)

Donglu-LittleFish: Thank you, little fish :)

StefanoDubay: Thanks :) I work on that in the next update. Hopefully it will look better.

BaronImpossible: Thank you :) Well, that's how it is. Some people encoraged me to do it, and I think it works ok.

live2contage: Thanks :)

chava: Thank you :) Yeah, I really need to move on to the normal baking and texturing.

madshooter: Thanks, ol' buddy :)

MartinNielsen
04-21-2009, 09:43 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip14.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, in this update I worked on the whole body.

AbysmalParadox
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
awesome man, that's crazy. You gots mad zbrush skills.

This palette thought you might be cool on your monster. Also olive, blue, gray, and purple discoloration in it's skin to neutralize the electric quality of the orange that would be the majority of the skin.

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/790283/odetoWintersolstice3?c=1

Also, if you don't mind me asking how do you get your pics to show up in the forum window?

MrRico
04-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I haven't had time to check your thread Martin. The update looks really nice, I can wait to see it with textures.

Ricardo

-------

My DWIV entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746170)

Ataulfo
04-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Hi Martin.
Great progress. Awesome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Cant wait to see the textures.
keep it up:beer:

Ferx
04-26-2009, 03:44 AM
Hey Martin,

Really cool update, like the joint details and muscles for the legs, really cool touch!! Cheers my friend!! :beer:

DanielCortes
04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
actually I think I don't want to fight your guy after all, this is not looking good for my invoker, ha! just incredible work man, keep it up and always looking forward to more, big hug friend :beer:

MartinNielsen
05-04-2009, 10:06 PM
AbysmalParadox: Thanks :) I start colorizing now, so that's very helpful. Btw. I use Mudbox :) I hope you have solved the pic problem by now...

MrRico: Thanks :) Textures comming up next.

Ataulfo: Thank you :) Next up textures!

Ferx: Thanks my friend :)

live2contage: Thanks man :) I knew you would admit that in the end... :twisted:

MartinNielsen
05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip15.jpg

So, long time since the last update... Things are really heating up at the game company at the moment. We have a very important deadline at May the 15, so I haven't much time for DW :sad: Talking about bad timing, eh? Well, I'm not dead yet :) I still hope to finish this entry in time. Lowpoly model is done, and the normal map is baked as you can see. Next up is the colors man!!!

MartinNielsen
05-09-2009, 01:52 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip16.jpg

I finally started doing some texturing :arteest: I think the blood works well, so I'll add more of that on the claws and legs, indicating that it uses all its limbs for attack. I also add another bump pass for finer skin details.

johnwoo
05-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Good progress so far man!...

I can see some more definition on the muscle groups on this update..looking good, I guess it's early still for the colour map, but may I suggest devoting some focus to the colour map to help bring out more of the shape, so it's even more readable...also..dig the lighting, the back light works real well...what kinda poses ya thinking of doing also?...I could definitely see this creature lunging and lashing out!...

keep going!

MartinNielsen
05-10-2009, 12:55 AM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip17.jpg

More fine details added to the normal map and more blood on the claws. I also tried using the blue channel from the normal map to blend it on color map, so I could define the muscles better. But I guess I still need to do some manual painting.

MartinNielsen
05-10-2009, 12:57 AM
johnwoo: Thanks man :) I did a lot of tweaking on the muscles. You can ses the highpoly result a few posts earlier, if you missed it. My normal map didn't capture all the muscles structure all that well though. I think I need more polygons to get a smoother result, which is impossible with the current poly count.

MartinNielsen
05-10-2009, 10:35 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip18.jpg

More blood added. I think I need to add some kind pattern to the skin. Maybe some vains as well.

It's very quiet in here these days...

DanielCortes
05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
so whats the kg of rib cost these days? looks like this dude has great time a the butcher store, ha. so yeah, it really is taking on the demonic insect feel, good work. I think you can capitalize on the skin texture, that ruff stuff is looking good maybe a little more in some areas would make him look like he has more protection. anyhow all the best, war is almost upon us so go go go, big hug bro!

Ferx
05-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Hey Martin,

Looking really great, like the backlight over the model, cool! The blood texture is a great touch :D Cheers!!

MartinNielsen
05-12-2009, 10:33 PM
live2contage: Let's just say, if you ever visit this butcher store, you pay with your LIFE! :twisted: Thanks for the support, ol' buddy :) I still work on the color skin, so watch the next update!

Ferx: Thanks my friend :) No slaughter without blood, remember... :twisted:

MartinNielsen
05-12-2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip19.jpg

I continued adding details to the color map. These demonic patterns fits it well, I think :)

rattlesnake
05-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Hello...hey i like the texturing so far ..the pattern cant be better :thumbsup:

man do you have some tris free? i think u can add some viscosity here and there just using some plains ..like 8 more tris will do the trick.. u can use the holes in your uvs to fit them...2048 maps will give you the resolution you need so it doesnt look dented i think.

sorry i didnt read all the other posts...doest it have a specular map yet?
i think u can add like secondary skin texture straight into the specular to create the illusion of subdermal veins and tissues.

just some ideas hope can help a bit. cheers mate :)

walrus
05-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey, Martin, those designs all along your creature's back are a great touch! I like the detail they're adding to the skin - nice work! :thumbsup:

MartinNielsen
05-14-2009, 10:46 PM
rattlesnake: Thanks for that :) A Good suggestion, but I don't think I can find the time. I still need the rest of the texturing, and then do a nice posing and beauty shot. Still so much to do...

Yes, there is a specular map, but right now it's only a greyscale version of the color map and a high specular color for blood and eyes. The stripes also have a little brightness. Your suggestion is very good, and I will surely implement that :) I also need a nice glossiness map.

walrus: Thanks ol' buddy :) This is actually the first challenge in a long time, that I haven't followed a thread of yours. But I saw your entry at Game Artisans the other day, and it looks great as always :)

MartinNielsen
05-14-2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip20.jpg

Continued adding patterns...

NavigatorJones
05-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Whoa haven't been here in a while! This looks great! love the colours your chose :D

Bri_Spencer
05-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Great job on the low rez and normals. I dig the colors you chose. They fit the character perfectly.

johnwoo
05-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Cool progress!...it's coming together real well...can ya squeeze in drools from the mouth too!...it needs it!...

Good luck on the 11th hour!...

MartinNielsen
05-17-2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/DW4wip21.jpg

A lot of texture and shader tweaks here. And of course a bloody pedestal.

MartinNielsen
05-17-2009, 11:11 PM
NavigatorJones: Thank you :)

Bri_Spencer: Thanks :)

johnwoo: Thank you :) That is a good suggestion.

It is pretty clear now, that I can't submit anything useful before the deadline, so I guess this is the end for me :sad: The model is complete IMO, but I still need a good pose and a beauty shot. However, I will complete a beauty shot of this model and post it in my portfolio, and that's the most important thing :)

Thanks everybody for watching and the useful comments :beer:

MartinNielsen
05-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Hold the funeral!! I just found out that I was wrong about the deadline, so I made it afterall :) Here's the final beauty shot:

http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/finalBeauty.jpg

I would like to thank everybody, who came to this thread and helped me with feedback and support :beer:

MartinNielsen
05-18-2009, 10:26 PM
http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/textImage.jpg

http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/textureSheets.jpg

http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/conceptImage.jpg

http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/constructionShot.jpg

http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/presentationShot.jpg

http://www.martin3d.dk/wip/beautyShot.jpg

All the finals... Btw, I placed the logo on the left claw, but it may be too hard for people to see. Well, it doesn't matter now. I'm just happy, that I completed my entry :)

rattlesnake
05-19-2009, 12:02 AM
i found the logo!! wohooo!!

hey man i think this one looks really cool , nice finish!..i kinda like more the presentation shot u made looks like a very clean job to me.
congratulations man, and good luck :):beer:

DDS
05-19-2009, 07:35 PM
very consistent work Martin! I wish you the best man, it's quite a badass :)

Ferx
05-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey Martin,

Really awesome work my friend. You have a great and solid concept, love it :D The skin is a superb touch, fantastic blue/purple tone for it, i like a lot. Like always, it was an incredible experience and honor to have participated with you in this challenge my ol´friend. Thanks and good luck!! :D And now a well deserved tequila bottle !! Cheers my friend!! :beer:

MartinNielsen
05-19-2009, 08:22 PM
rattlesnake: Thanks man :) I really hated placing that damn logo... It just don't fit my creature :sad: I actually didn't like my presentation shot, so I spent an extra amount of time creating the beauty shot. I think the background fits the character.

DDS: Thank you :) And good luck to you.

Ferx: Thanks ol' friend. It's so cool, that you keep comming back and visit my threads for support :) See you next time :beer:

I just found out, that I forgot to write the name of my character. Well, the big lesson here is: DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE FINAL HOURS!

Ferx
05-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I just found out, that I forgot to write the name of my character. Well, the big lesson here is: DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE FINAL HOURS!

And if you wait until last minute, put far away the tequila bottle .... :D

I think "Demons" is the name of your abomination :) Think you dont have problem and I´m sure your concept will be in the fifty finalists :thumbsup::buttrock:

daelon
05-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey! You did an interesting work! And the beauty shot looks pretty good. have luck! :thumbsup:

tewicks
05-20-2009, 03:46 AM
Hey man, good effort! Creepy but cool :cool:

GL for the judging :D

Bri_Spencer
05-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Congrats on a solid finish! Great work, may the judges treat you well! :beer:

MartinNielsen
05-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Ferx: Well, it is actually "Slaughter demon", so that won't do it. I can only hope, that they'll forgive me :)

daelon: Thank you :)

Untamed: Thanks man :)

Bri_Spencer: Thanks :) I gonna need it ;)

FranciscoAlvarezDelgado
05-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Congratulations on finishing Martin, good job on your character man, I like the beauty shot !

farazmobin
05-20-2009, 08:12 PM
great stuff martin. really great beauty shot.

ShamesArt
05-21-2009, 01:05 AM
really nice shot, you did a good job, I wish you a best luck :thumbsup:

MartinNielsen
05-21-2009, 10:42 AM
FranciscoAlvarezDelgado: Thank you :) I have actually received mixed reactions on the beauty and presentation shots. Overall people like them both, but sometimes the beauty wins and sometimes the presentation.

farazmobin: Thanks man :)

ShamesArt: Thank you :) And good luck to you :)

nellement
05-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Nicely finished,good texture color scheme.

johnwoo
05-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Looking real good!!...

I'm so glad ya integrated the drooling into the beauty render..makes a world of difference to the presentation...it has been awesome to see the progression of this entry and to see it finally finished is just great, Big Congrats buddy!...ya earned it!...

Good luck!...and see ya for the next round of DW...

MartinNielsen
05-21-2009, 12:21 PM
nellement: Thanks :)

johnwoo: Thank you my friend :) You did an excellent job here, and your feedback and support was very valuable :thumbsup:

DanielCortes
05-21-2009, 06:33 PM
that final shot with the snot, saliva, blood and all, well what can I say, extremely demonic.
Your work is top of the line and it was a whole lot of fun following your progress and all, thanks again for basing by all the support, hope to see you soon, all the best bro, go celebrate, you disserve it! :beer:

Sepulverture
05-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Hey man, thanks for the congratulations. Your piece turned out really good with the textures you made for it. Presentation here is top notch good work!

Thanks for the support you gave also.

Good work again

MartinNielsen
05-25-2009, 10:52 AM
live2contage: Thanks buddy :)

Sepulverture: Thanks man :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2009, 10:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.