PDA

View Full Version : Demo reel

SteveDavy
07-07-2003, 08:01 PM
I'd welcome comments and criticism on my reel...

www.freewebs.com/stevedavy

lildragon
07-08-2003, 12:23 AM
It probably would help if peeps know what kinda of reel it was, and maybe a pic or 2 that let's us know what's on it. Plus a bit more information wouldn't hurt.

-lild

mattmos
07-08-2003, 03:52 AM
Second that. Plus your website is a bit on the sparse side when you have so much excellent work in your reel. I'd think about taking some stills from your 3d animation to put in the gallery. The timing is a bit strange of the reel, and there's a couple of clips which I'm not sure I'd keep in, in particular the guy falling into the fire early on looks pretty wooden, but overall really nice work!

CGIExpert
07-08-2003, 08:10 AM
SteveDavy
A suggestion for your website:
You could put an image [drawing, CG still, etc] on the front page of your site. If you decide to do this, be sure that the still is small in dimension and file size. GIF is a good format for website images.

About the DemoReel:
You do very nice work. I agree with Mattmos though about the guy falling into the fire scene. Its an eye sore compared to everything else in the reel. And coming from a background in film directing, I suggest that you might want to consider giving a little more structure to your reel. You could animate something, maybe even a character, to lead the viewer in and out of each piece. Its just an idea.

SteveDavy
07-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback...

So far as the website goes, I'm not really interested in spending time on it -- I'm not a web designer and I have only set this up as a portal to my reel. All the other artwork there is really just as icing. It's just better than pointing people straight to an .mov file.

What do you mean by the timing of the reel being a bit strange? Can you elaborate?

The shot of the guy falling into the fire I will admit was put in with some reservations (it was done quickly for a friend's short) but I wanted as much character stuff on as possible. Your comments heeded and I'll remove him for the next version.

Not sure what you mean by an animated character leading people thru the reel? But it sounds like a lot of work for a frill that won't impress potential employers...

CGIExpert
07-08-2003, 07:11 PM
SteveDavy
” So far as the website goes, I'm not really interested in spending time on it -- I'm not a web designer and I have only set this up as a portal to my reel.”
An example:
Let’s say you wanted to invite a potential employer over to your house to look at your portfolio. The employer comes to your house, and your house is a complete mess. There is a big gallon of old milk sitting in one corner, there is a dead moose laying in the other, and there is bubble gum stuck all over your ceiling.... Well, maybe this is a stupid analogy, but my point is – you have to make the entrance to your work more appealing in some way. Every frame of your site should be seen as an opportunity to show off something creative about you.

”What do you mean by the timing of the reel being a bit strange? Can you elaborate?”
He may, or may not, be referring to what I was talking about. The shots do not connect. The whole reel seems kind of random. This is where my suggestion for an animated character could possibly help bring continuity to your reel.

”The shot of the guy falling into the fire I will admit was put in with some reservations (it was done quickly for a friend's short) but I wanted as much character stuff on as possible.”
Quality is far more important than quantity. Having 1 extremely good - 30 second - animation is far better than having 30 bad animations.

”Not sure what you mean by an animated character leading people thru the reel? But it sounds like a lot of work for a frill that won't impress potential employers...”
The character’s scenes in the reel would not have to be that long. It’s just an idea, something to help bring some order to your reel. And the more effort [blood, sweat, and tears] that you put into your reel, the more impressed your employers will be.

“Sweet jumping roadrunners! This guy is not afraid of hard work! Where’s his contact information?” – They’ll say.

Witchy
07-08-2003, 07:12 PM
In terms of your website if you are that determined to undersell your work then it might be better to just link a video. In a competitive industry people are not going to come begging you to take work. A 3D section would allow people to see across the range of your skills. If you want to impress potential employers I'd say either spend time on a portal or don't use one. Your work seems to be really nice- why make it look less than it is.

SteveDavy
07-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Well, without wishing to sound pissy but I am now working on a job I got thru the site. Point taken -- it's not a very pretty site but the PLAY REEL button is prominently displayed for that very reason and no-one's obliged to stick around there for long. I posted here regarding the reel not the site, so mebbe we can stick to that?

As for making the reel feel like a whole -- most of the demos I have seen are like this because isn't that the nature of working in the industry? Each job is different, leading to a whole rag bag of shots. Employers know this and aren't expecting to see a "package" reel that necessarily plays as an entity in itself. Of course, if you're a modeller, lighter etc. then your work is more likely to jell as a whole, but if you're an all-rounder like me then the reel content is likely to be very diverse. I don't agree that it's necessary to dress stuff up for people viewing the reel, beyond the basics -- this goes contrary to everything I've ever heard or read from hiring professionals (and I have attended a lot of industry related seminars etc. in LA) -- they' re interested only in the substance of your work, not pretty labels or other add-ons.

mattmos
07-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Hi Steve,
yeah, I was referring to the fact that your shots seem a little disjointed, but also things are grouped together so it looks like its one long shot - in particular the acme safe/shoes would work very well as individual shots spaced inbetween your other work. You have some really nice quick cuts with the m+m characters which I think you should start the reel with, then maybe follow with the angry guy, the toon bird lady and something else before the next shot of her speaking, and maybe layer the sound over the music rather than cut it completely. A really nice finishing shot would be that animated pencil, if it finished what it was writing!

You are very right in stating that it's the substance, rather than the presentation. Industry love to quote that they don't listen to the music on reels, and even watch them in b+w. But if you can make an all-rounder reel like this gel together then isn't that a skill that is also worth marketing?

Congrats on the job by the way, always nice to see a fellow cgtalker doing good :)

Witchy
07-09-2003, 03:23 AM
>>Well, without wishing to sound pissy

Wish harder. ;)

If you don't want comments on various things then perhaps you might say so in advance; that will save you 'not sounding pissy' if people try and help out in future.

SteveDavy
07-09-2003, 06:08 AM
Um, the thread's titled "demo reel" and my comment was I'd welcome comments on my "demo reel". But thanks for taking the time to view it anyway.

Matt, I never considered breaking up the Roger Rabbit stuff because it is really all one shot, it saves the viewer having to re-acquaint themselves with the environment three times, and also makes for a cleaner shot breakdown sheet. Not that I don't welcome the suggestion (don't want to sound pissy again).

Hmmm... interesting idea putting the M&Ms first. I guess it depends which you think is the better work. I always hear "PUt your newest and best work first" (which isn't always possible as of course the two aren't always the same thing). In terms of character animation I think the existing two shots of Vito (from an upcoming short called The Auction) is better, but that's just me...

Levitateme
07-09-2003, 07:45 AM
steve, im downloading your reel, but lil dragon is right. i have no idea what im looking at, you should post some pics from your reel on here so people know what there going to look at.

mattmos
07-09-2003, 09:21 AM
It's more than fine if you don't agree with a suggestion, I'm not easily offended... especially when it's late night ramblings ;)

Anyway, one last comment - I don't know if you caught a reel by a guy called AWAKE which was recently posted on this site? He had a mixed bag of stuff but the timing of the shots worked really well. If you have a look it might give u some extra ideas.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.