PDA

View Full Version : Stranahan's Lightwave Tour: Be Aware!

jamwae
07-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Here's a post over at NewTek regarding the Lightwave Training Tour.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7726

Watch out Lightwavers!

Rumors
07-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Sounds an awful lot like what Bill Fleming did. I wonder if anyone who went to the 'tour' got what they paid for.

Remi
07-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Hmmm....i'll have to see what others say that have attended more recently...i'd like to know how they are now....anyone care to shed some light on the subject?:shrug:

SplineGod
07-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Its nothing even remotely like what Fleming did.
The vast majority of people who attended the Seminars got their CDs at the event and are very happy with the event and the CDs they received. A few people didnt get them for whatever reason but that is and has been in the process of being taken care of by Lee. You cant take a few posts from a few people who did fall thru the cracks ( as is apt to happen sometimes) and say that everyone who attended were all screwed.
Heres a quote from an attendee in Vancouver
"larry
i went to the vancouver tour stop that lee did and it was cool.
but the training cd's we got were awsome!!! i can't believe some of the little tricks you have that no one else teaches. like your compositing trick with cloning the lights and making one negative. or the normal displacement section, really cool and simple.i have bought a lot of books and video's on LW and after you learn the basics there basically useless, but your stuff is awsome, i learn something new everytime i watch a section good job!"

Read what fgalpern says in THIS (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59566) thread.
Read the comments in THIS (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59198) one as well.
HERES (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58588) another one you can read.
Obviously most people are extremely happy with both the Seminars and the CDs.

Petrik
07-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Well we will get to see if the rumors are correct in a few weeks time when the show hits the road here in New Zealand in August.

Remi
07-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Splinegod...in no way was I trying to say anything bad...I just wanted to hear what others thought....sorry if it seemed as if I was badmouthing you guys....I plan on going to the minneapolis tour with work but I was just curious. Hope that clears it up...:shrug:

SplineGod
07-08-2003, 12:00 AM
Heres 2 of the 3 CDs being handed out:
The World Wide Tour CD (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/worldwidetour.htm) and
The Next Dimension Tour CD (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/nextdimensiontour.htm)
The 3rd CD is not available for sale yet but is given out to attendees (as has been given out) and DOES exist. :)
That means attendees get 2 days of training and well over 20 hrs of lectures along with it. Thats a real bargain esp in NZ because of the group discount thats being offered.
HERES (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/sampler.htm) over an hour of free training and will give ppl an example of what the material on the CDs is like. :)

SplineGod
07-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Remi
Splinegod...in no way was I trying to say anything bad...I just wanted to hear what others thought....sorry if it seemed as if I was badmouthing you guys....I plan on going to the minneapolis tour with work but I was just curious. Hope that clears it up...:shrug:
I know you werent :)
I just wanted to make sure that the jamwae and rumors (and any others reading this thread) understand that there are several sides to an issue and that those who didnt get the CDs ARE slowly getting them. What was brought up in that thread was an incident that effected a few people. Also Zachs experience was the exception rather then the rule. :)

takkun
07-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Why weren't these CDs just handed out at the events? (I understand that they were at some of them) Why promise people that you are going to mail them it later? Wouldn't it be 2000% easier and cheaper to just burn off a bunch of copies and give them out when everybody's there at the event? That way nobody "falls through the cracks". You guys need to work on your business practices.

Petrik
07-08-2003, 12:13 AM
I really wish there was such a thing as a time machine. It's killing me all this waiting. August is tommorow right? Pleas tell me I'm right... :drool:

Please note that the discount is for regular attendees of the Lightwave Usergroup only as far as I am aware. Kevin (aka Kevman3D on CGTalk) who organised this for us will have the finer details on that.

SplineGod
07-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Takkun,
That were and are handed out at the actual event. The problem was that at the beginning of the last tour Lees equipement and footage were stolen from his Van in Vancouver which he needed for the DVD. I was also a couple of weeks late getting the lectures finalized on the CDs as well. In the meantime Lee just couldnt put a hold on the Seminars while the CD issue was being solved. That created a backlog that has been and is being rectified. :)
Attendees WERE given one CD with 10 hrs of material on it with the idea that the delayed CD would be sent later which has been ongoing. In the meantime thats all been fixed and attendees ARE being given the CDs at the actual event. In the meantime, if you read the other threads most people were pretty happy with things and I get emails all the time from people saying that theyre getting their CDs. Most dont choose to post that here so you never see whats going on behind the scenes. :)
Petrik,
Well join the user group. :)

Petrik
07-08-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod

Petrik,
Well join the user group. :)

lol... I already am. I signed up and paid up for the tour as soon as word came out it was heading our way. That was a few months ago now so as the time gets nearer the wait seems to be longer if you get the idea. Looking forward to finally seeing you guys in flesh.

m.d.
07-08-2003, 01:49 AM
i did the tour in vancouver(and no i didn't break into lee's van) and i really got alot out of it. the cd's were a lot better than i expected and probably the best lw training material i have seen so far, and i've spent a fair amount on video's and books...well worth the money IMHO.:p

SplineGod
07-08-2003, 03:09 AM
Hey Petrik
Im with you on that one...I really enjoyed the last time I was out there. It was a great meeting with quite a turn out. :)
M.D.
Thanks for the comments. :)

JVitale
07-08-2003, 03:41 AM
People are just complaining about not receiving their promised material which I can understand all too well. Although I feel that I did get my money's worth from the seminar that I took with Lee three years ago, I never what I was promised either. A free subscription to Keyframe and a voucher for Safe Harbor. I gave up trying, what can you do?...And I mean no disrespect for Lee. The seminars are still kick butt and well worth the money....

Chewey
07-08-2003, 04:35 AM
I had similar difficulty with Lee a while back but after a number of emails and phone calls I was finally refunded my money. He's a pretty busy guy.

BoulYaBase
07-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Me too, except I was offered a comp on a future event -- which is okay with me. Sooner or later, things will slow down enough that I can take advantage of the comp.

Lee spreads himself a little too thin sometimes, but I firmly believe his heart's in the right place.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.