PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 3D - Dargon - Demon Princess Thrăx-ha

Dargon
03-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Alright! Let's do this thing!

I'm going to reserve this first post for posting whatever is the latest image, so you don't have to go though the whole thread to find the new stuff.

I'm going with Demons, with the Prince (princess I believe though) category. For now I'm calling her Thrăx-ha. I believe that with character creation, it's an important step to name you creation - it really helps to define their character as quick as possible.

Finals:
http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Beauty_Shot.jpg

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Presentation_Shot.jpg

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Concept.jpg

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Textures.jpg

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Construction.jpg

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Text.jpg

Dargon
03-16-2009, 01:06 AM
First Sketches, playing a lot right now, but this is the general direction I want to go:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Sketch_01.jpg

jett12
03-16-2009, 01:10 AM
good sketches, i enjoy the demon princess idea, be careful about getting pulled into monotony though (demon princess has been done alot, but i guess so has cyborgs and people with magic :DD )

I'd love to see a great backstory for her, and of course some badass lava powers :D

i especially like the head on the left of the page, 2nd one down, that is a very cool look.

Keep going!

inqy
03-16-2009, 01:36 AM
I love where this is going. Lower left is my favorite. :)

GregStrangis
03-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Like the tribal looking design on the bottom right, maybe add alittle more "demoness" to it =)
Very easy to read sketches tho nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing where this 1 is going

j4Q
03-16-2009, 09:03 AM
hey Dragon
i think about make demon proncess too, but im woried becous on DW is write "DEMON PRINCE" so its a male, and princess is female, so im confused:/ do u think its ok?
greets

Dargon
03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Here's a little fuller version of my idea:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Sketch_02.jpg

Basically, Thrăx-ha is a Demon Princess who is close to human in form, and could perhaps pass as one, if not for the tentacles sprouting from her back.

I'm liking where this is going, but I think I'm going to keep sketching for a while, to refine the idea...

@jett12: I hope she's a little more unusual now, I'll get started writing a backstory after I've fleshed out her look a bit more...
@inqy: Thanks! I'm going to borrow mostly from the bottom 2, and spring-board from there...
@GregStrangis: More "Demoness" now?
@j4Q: Pretty sure it's OK, there's been some indication from the FAQ threads that it's cool...

Some sleep now, I'll continue the sketches after work tomorrow!

Cheers,

Dargon

Vindicate
03-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey there.. looks awsome, really like the idear about the spout tentacles.. But what is the explanation of the sticks :D

VonMarsch
03-16-2009, 11:00 AM
I really like this concept and where it's going but I think it still needs further improvement. Without those tentacles she looks like an oriental girl with japanese bamboo swords. Maybe you could add some animal like features to her costume? :D

mrpeace
03-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Really good...the idea of the tentacles is very nice...And i love the armor designs. Keep it up buddy :applause:

nellement
03-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Sweet idea,nice silhouette as always with tentacles:),like the top right one and bottom right one would be great if you could mix those two,could be interesting result.

ROBOTTANK
03-16-2009, 01:29 PM
you should bend the legs a little, at least one of them to give a floating presence. Her legs look a bit stiff right now, but great design overall.

Dargon
03-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi guys! Thanks for the comments!

@Vindicate: Thanks! The idea of the sticks were for them to be a bit "totem"-like, which she uses to navigate the swamp, and for combat
@VonMarsch: I'm going to really start working the armour now, get some tribal look to it.
@mrpeace: Thanks!
@nellement: I'll keep that in mind as I work the details on the upcoming concepts.
@ROBOTTANK: I'll keep that in mind, but I think the actual pose will be a bit different, more aggressive. Long way to go before that's a major concern!

Cheers,

Dargon

GregStrangis
03-16-2009, 09:58 PM
The new design looks sweet! Tentacles are sexy. Keep it up!

ahmedadel0077
03-17-2009, 12:30 AM
this is really cool , keep it up :buttrock:

Dargon
03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Some more sketching, focussing on ideas and on the torso/head area. I have a favourite, let's see if you guys pick the same:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Sketch_03.jpg

As far as explanations, the headdress may or not be just the shape of her head, I'm undecided. The stuff on her shoulders and on some of them around her elbows, will be (with some refinement) spiney flesh.

Thanks for your comments guys! Keep them up!

Cheers,

Dargon

JForbes
03-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Stunning work so far! I'm quite fond of the lower row 1st on the left, I believe its the eyes/ makeup pattern that pull me towards that choice. Also I'm a huge fan of the head dressings that you have been creating. I cant wait to follow your progress. Cheers!

bobrok
03-17-2009, 08:49 AM
I also prefer lower row, left. But they're all good.

adriendebos
03-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Hi Dave!
I like the top middle one the most!
Nice work!

kmanning
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
nice! bottom row middle is my favorite

Belindi
03-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Great stuff!! I like the top middle torso the most. As for heads, the one of the bottom left of your first design sheet is great. She looks like she's wearing an abstract skeletal mask, which ties in nicely with the skulls on her armour. The head dress is rocking too!

inqy
03-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Hmmm, I'd say lower left is my favorite. It feels darker than most of the top row choices, but not too dark -- there's still enough detail to really feel the character. I like the headress of the top right or bottom right, though - lower left has a bit of a square shape going on that I don't find too attractive, I like the upper angles.

Stutts
03-17-2009, 04:48 PM
I like the top middle the best

wenart
03-17-2009, 04:57 PM
OMG.... I like all the thumb >.<; I dunno which one is the best, but the character in the lower left part is good XD

DanielCortes
03-17-2009, 05:21 PM
i think the bottom row has the strongest design, particularly the dress of the first one to the left and the head of the one in the middle.
your doing great!

Titan
03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
kick ass concepts... my only comment would be to try and vary the silhouettes more in your thumbnails and comps..
Great stuff though!

Obmoc
03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
OK, my choices are for the far right one in the top row, or the left one in the bottom row. The silhouette in each of those is pretty unique. Also I was wondering how you created those images. Did you use Alchemy? What was your work flow like?

AG3D
03-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Freaking cool!

this badass girl will kick little mech.

keep on , can't wait to see more post

PeterBraeley
03-17-2009, 08:44 PM
this is cool, its got a nice feel to it!!

GregStrangis
03-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey Dave, I am favoring that bottom middle choice the most I think, maybe throw the skull belt around that 1 and slightly change the face up perhaps? DOn't rush it man!! Looking forward to seeing what you choose!

Dermont
03-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Nice Job! Love Top Mid body with Bottom left head and head dress. Well as long is there is no skull limit right? :)

Also great job on Dawn of War 2. We have a daily match at our office!

Dargon
03-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Hi guys! Thanks for the replies - you've been helpful. Going to do another sketch tonight, and further refine the design based on your input!

Picked up one of these, just got it delivered, gonna try it out:

http://www.n52te.com/ (http://www.n52te.com/)

The unfortunate thing is I'll lose a bit of time tonight setting it up instead of working.

@Titan: Not really looking for vast changes at this point, I'm more in the refining stage, thus the similar silhouettes.
@Obmoc: Yup! I absolutely love Alchemy! As far as work flow, I basically use the default brush with shapes turned on (instead of line), and initially with mirror on. I then work exclusively with that, just switching between foreground colour and bkg. I also like the foreground to be set to 95% opaque.
@GregStrangis: I'll try not to rush it! It's exciting to get started though!
@Cory_Dermont: Thanks man, great to hear! I'll pass that around the office!

Cheers,

Dargon

questionmarks
03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
my favourite is the first left of second row...
suggestion..maybe dont make both side same design???

nellement
03-18-2009, 11:51 AM
I like the bottom lef and bottom right one too.

mindrot
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Looking good so far... love your concepts.

~M~

aeonseraph
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM
amazing concepts! :thumbsup:

DTRAN
03-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Sweet! Cant wait to see the final! Keep going!

smacdonald
03-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey man! Good to see some super leet Dargon skillz rocking house again this year... Good luck man!

JIMMAZZA
03-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Loving the wips so far. Great work.

Yone
03-18-2009, 11:30 PM
I really like the savage look for the design.
Keep her looking evil.

Looking forward to more :bounce:

Dargon
03-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Another illustration, a little more polish. Not necessarily full on what she'll look like, but getting close.

After your valuable feedback, I combined some of my favourite elements:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Sketch_04.jpg

Tomorrow night I'm going to focus on some of the details... I think I'll put off starting the model until the weekend - plenty of time to flesh her out!

Thanks for all your comments guys! As always, comments, suggestions and critiques are more than welcome!

Cheers,

Dargon

Soggyclog
03-19-2009, 08:12 AM
That last update is looking quite nice... and judging by the size of her belt skulls she's a child killer to boot!:wip:

DTRAN
03-19-2009, 08:19 AM
hahahaha. oh T, you are so funny.
I like the shadow work in this piece and i also love the mayan/aztech feel to her.
You are just cranking through these dude! keep going!

QuantumPixel
03-19-2009, 08:19 AM
I must say that, that is really really good! awesome painting technique.

adriendebos
03-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Wow, nice painting! :)
Good choice on the elements, I hope you'll be able to make all these details in your final mesh!
Perfect knickers for a camel toe btw ;)

Ataulfo
03-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Amazing sketches. :thumbsup: The last one looks really great. keep it up.

rodia
03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
really nice work mate!! :applause: lloking forward to see more!

DanielCortes
03-19-2009, 11:53 AM
WOW! :beer:
your fast, and it's look great, this looks like its developing into something big. keep going!

Garmonbozia
03-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Breathtaking concept Dargon! I love it! :buttrock:

Perfect knickers for a camel toe btw ;)
rofl

smacdonald
03-19-2009, 12:03 PM
I really like where this is going for sure!!! Any ideas for a weapon or something going in her hands and/or some magic powers? she looks like she might not even need it, but might be cool none the less.

Badass man, keep it up!

nellement
03-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Looks great right now,can't add any suggestions,keep up the great progress. :thumbsup:

bangbangteng
03-19-2009, 08:16 PM
I think it's time to start your 3d! your concept seems nice and concrete save for some details... but you can fix those after you have your 3d base to work them out on!

Great work!

Dargon
03-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

@Soggyclog: That's disturbing. I'll have to shrink them a bit to make sure that's the look.:twisted:
@DTRAN: Thanks! Just a few more sketchies and I think I'll get on to modeling...
@adriendebos: Ah, disturbing in a totally different way from Soggy. You're naughtier than I thought you were! :p
@smacdonald: I was thinking of staffs perhaps, or maybe just some magic FX.

Cheers,

Dargon

yakonusuke
03-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Nice progress and cool concept!
Maybe the shoulders are a bit to small . No need to make them WoW-like, but a few Inches more would be good I think.

paratrooper
03-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Awesome. it's really good start, I hope you're enjoying it and for sure will get
some cool result at the end. Cheers,

Seven
03-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Oh nice! Ive missed this thread so far, how I dont know! Great drawings, I look forward to seeing more.

ENBE
03-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Fantastic start. Enjoying the fact that the tentacles are unique in placement and her head dress makes for a really strong sillohuette.

Ferx
03-20-2009, 01:23 AM
Hey David,

Really great sketches and concept, Liked a lot :) Maybe in the last sketch the demon princess looks a bit "nice", perhaps you can push your face to a more darker concept, a bit on the last two of the lower row of your torso studies, only a comment :) Again, fantastic work! Looking forward for more updates! Cheers!! :beer:

GaeasHerald
03-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Chicks with tentacles, one can't go wrong with that! LOL
No crits so far, you're doing a terrific job.

Verasl
03-20-2009, 03:08 AM
Looking mint, loving the direction with design. the whole tribal look is cool. :beer:

Zoox
03-20-2009, 03:52 AM
really awesome look so far! keep it up :D

Sepulverture
03-20-2009, 03:56 AM
I had typed a somewhat lengthy reply that covered quite a few likes and dislikes, and my critique of your design here, but it all magically vanished so I'll just cover the key points of the critique... Sorry.

This is a cool design, I like it a lot and it's well rendered so far, but I don't get any impression of a Demon Princess from this.

The impressions I get go more along the lines of a Norm Invoker, or Stalker. I also get some impressions on this that range outside the dom war. I get more the feeling of an assassin, or a necromanc(ess?) than any sort of demon.

Naturally your "2nd sketch" helps to alleviate that lack of a demonic feeling with the tentacles and whatnot, but you should seriously consider integrating them with the design more and removing some of her human characteristics. I think if you did these things it would go a long way in carrying the message at a glance that it should be carrying.

Good work overall, just some thoughts.

Good luck!

Synectikos
03-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey Dave,

Nice work so far. I like your exploration of the character. Seems to be coming a long nicely!

Dargon
03-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Another sketch!

This time I thought I'd paint her nekkid (*gasp*), as to work on her demony-ness a bit. I think this integrates it better than the last sketch, with her head looking as a headdress too much, and not enough as something really odd.

I went with one of the other patterns, as this one is more appropriate now that I've lightened her... ...horns.

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Sketch_05.jpg

@Ferx, Sepulverture: You were right. A bit more push to the demon now. I don't want to go all the way to pure demon though, because Demon Princesses are supposed to be close enough to a norm to be mistaken for one.
@paratrooper, Synectikos: Great to hear from you guys! Hope things are going well! I'm assuming of course, that you have threads for me to follow too? Hint Hint ;)

Thanks for the feedback everybody - it's been very helpful. Keep it coming!

Cheers,

Dargon

Art2
03-20-2009, 01:14 PM
I like the hard bony material. I think it would look interesting in combination with the (slimey) tentacles. Giving it a hard/soft contrast.

NH
03-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Awesome ! Your concepts are amazing !
keep it up

nellement
03-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Really teriffic looking now,maybe add makeup over those horns a lil,maybe cgs logo lines,but thats just my suggest great job

Intervain
03-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I really like the headpiece in the new version! would be interesting to see how those tenticles are supposed to work... they're quite massive and she's rather slim, so where exactly are they coming out from? ;)

Dargon
03-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the comments guys!

@Intervain: I'm working out a bit of an idea for that, I think it's going to be pretty cool. I'll save it to reveal in the modeling stage though ;)
@nellement: I am thinking about continuing the makeup up, or possibly working her natural colouring so the horns are darker. There's plenty of time for that though!
@Art2: That's the idea. I want there to be a few different material types, to keep the visual interest high, and keep the eye wandering around the model. It also will keep me enthused through the process of modeling and texturing, as I'll have be able to change gears and techniques as I go.

Thanks again, and keep suggesting things! Very helpful!

Cheers,

Dargon

GregStrangis
03-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Her head shot looks great, how much further do you plan on taking the concept until you start 3D??

FrozZT
03-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Hey man. Really nice stuff so far.. I like her head design, especially the siluette of the shape on top of her head and those make up details around her eyes, lips and i also like her accesories. I think maybe the top head shape looked more interesting in darker values in the paint with the tentacles. Oh and about the tentacles, I'm interested in seeing how you plan on puting them together with the body, if you are gonna use them that is, the looked very glued on in that shot. Nice hard details on the head design, love the wrinkles on the face. The shapes on the shoulder and on the top shape are a bit evenly detailed and placed, makes it a bit less alive i think. Maybe keep it on the forehead and on the ends of the top shape, and tone down on the in betweens, i dont know, just try some stuff out. Look at the face+part of the forehead for reference, i think the detail distribution there is really good. Very good work, cant wait to see you take it all the way.. Keep it up!

-Niklas

Sepulverture
03-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Looking much better. Good work :)

DarkBlueArt
03-21-2009, 02:13 AM
Hello

I am stunned. These concepts are really amazing! I hope you will be able to transfer the style into the 3D model.
Something big is coming up here.

so long

Segvoia
03-21-2009, 04:46 AM
I think your rendering style is impressive and this particular concept is formidable. I think this will make an awesome 3D piece. Have fun :beer:

namnocilis
03-21-2009, 05:55 AM
wow! Your 2D Concept sketch itself is so detailed and awesome! :surprised you could get a 2D Prize..
Eager to see the 3D updates.. you are going to rock!! :buttrock:

Dargon
03-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Model Sheet:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_Sheet.jpg

Which means... da da daaaaa... I start modeling tomorrow!!!

Thanks for all your help guys. I continue to look forward to your input!

@GregStrangis: I start now. Anything else can be worked out while I model.
@FrozZT: Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep it in mind as I sculpt.

Cheers,

Dargon

Dargon
03-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Not much to look at, but just to keep up to date with the WIPs and all:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_01.jpg

Had a relatively unproductive weekend. Can't afford any more of those.

Just the base mesh, done relatively to proportion, trying to maintain a quad layout, which takes a while. Got a day or two more before I can get it to ZBrush, which will be the uber fun stage!

CG-Gordon
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Looking good Dargon, really like the design you've chosen. Will be watching this one closely :thumbsup:

jett12
03-24-2009, 11:14 AM
This is looking great man, keep it up, i cant wait for the sculpt!

Sepulverture
03-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Turning out good! Can't wait to see more!

Hexahedron
03-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Cool. Can't wait to see the Zbrush update. It's gonna kick major ass!

Cheers
:buttrock:

nellement
03-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Waiting for zbrush pass :bounce:

Stutts
03-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Anxiously waiting for the Zbrush madness!

AlexisDubois
03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Can't wait for the Zbrush!
Good job so far.

QuantumPixel
03-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Look forward to what you do with your 3d.

If I where going to do tentacles again . I would place my sucker tubes by hand rather then sculpt them again. I suppose you will use one uv tentacle on your texture map? I found last year the tentacles really pushed the budget to the edge.

good luck.

Nethermind
03-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Digging the chipped-bone horns fused to the head.

Dargon
03-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Another update:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_02.jpg

Quite a bit more blocked in, a few of the meshes are ready for a quick UV then off to ZBrush. The tentacles are just a test to block them in for now, just to see how much the poly count is going to be affected with them. Seems I'll be fine, so long as I'm clever with the subdivisions.

The pose isn't the final pose, but the idea is to model something mirrored, and closer to the pose I have in mind than the traditional T or A pose, so that I get better deformation. I want to get a lot of emotion in this one if I can - with the idea that if she were a game character, she'd most certainly be a boss, which means a base facial pose of anger wouldn't be unreasonable.

@jett12, Hexahedron, nellement, Stutts, AlexisDubois: ZBrush is coming soon. There's still some more work to do before I can get in on that, but if I do it all correctly, the detailing stage should go really smoothly.
@QuantumPixel: I'll keep your suggestions in mind. I've done a few tests, and I think poly-wise I'll be fine. Texture-wise, I think there'll be some sharing to cut down on the space.

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it! Keep the comments and suggestions coming, it's very helpful for me!

Cheers,

Dargon

NiklasElling
03-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Looking great so far. This is definately one of my favourite entries this year. I'm looking forward to seeing the sculpt.

Synectikos
03-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Looking good Dargon! Judging by your sketches, I am sure you will have plenty of polys to work within the 10,000 tri limit! I agree with you on modeling her in an 'angry' face. It'll be much easier to get the emotion you want when you pose her... and you can use a more simple rig.

I know it's early but do you have any ideas of what kind of shaders you will be using?

adriendebos
03-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Looking great man! Looks like you will be able to sculpt pretty soon.
My only crit is that the feet might be a bit too short from the side view, you have lost few centimeters from your model sheet. Looking forward to seeing more! Keep it up!

didom
03-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Very nice concept, I really can't wait to see the end result
Great work

Mactaveous
03-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I like were this is going. Keep up the good work.:)

DeadInTheAttic
03-26-2009, 05:08 PM
I am sure, that she will look great at the end.

Dargon
03-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Finally got in on some sculpting!

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_03.jpg

Still lots and lots to accomplish, but I'm on to the fun stage now, so it's mostly a matter of enjoying it!

@Synectikos: Thanks Man! I think I'll be fine on the limit, I've done some tests, and there shouldn't really be an issue. As for shaders, not sure yet. I think I should be able to do some cool stuff with the realtime, I do have a copy of ShaderFX to play with. On the Beauty Shot, I think I'll go for rendered though, so I can show off the model at its very best.
@adriendebos: Noted and fixed. (although not visible in this render)

Thanks for all your comments guys, once again I'm finding it really helpful!

I should be able to post a little more regularily now that I'm at the ZBrush stage - so keep an eye out!

Cheers,

Dargon

Obmoc
03-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Love the new sculpt work. Just don't forget/leave out the unique features found in the concepts u posted early on. The hat for one was a very unique feature. It define a remarkable silhouette. Now that I think about it, it reminds me of Raiden from Mortal Kombat.
Keep it up can't wait to see more.

GregStrangis
03-29-2009, 07:31 AM
She is one evil looking lady! 1 thing is coming across that is making her look masculine, hmm maybe its that her cheeks are too gaunt for the rest of the features on her face? Keep playing with it, but I already like how those shoulders are coming out for sure! ZBRUSH RULES!

NiklasElling
03-29-2009, 12:07 PM
How come you've changed the face so radically from the concept? I have to admit that I prefer the earlier faces but then se was much more of a good-looking deamon/succubus. Now she is a lot more masculine and more visibly evil. So its all a matter of the type of character you're looking for I guess.

The shoulder armour and siluette are transfering really well to 3d.

As for zbrush, how much work do you do on lower subdivision? what subdiv is the last posted picture on? I usually spend far to much work on the lower ones I believe, just to having to resculpt and resculpt as I subdiv more and more.

Anyway, its looking really good. Looking forward to more.

*edit* Did you by any chance do the eldar for dow2? I believe there is quite a resemblence in the face..*

smacdonald
03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Hey man! That's looking badass so far! I would watch out though, your starting to break model on your bust, I agree with the other comments its looking more evil and less feminine so I would watch that. Other than that though, you are flying! (No surprise there.. always were one of the quicker people around) I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with your tenticles. Are they going to be slimy like Kracken style or do you have something more scaled or boney in mind like her shoulders?

Keep it up man! Looking great!

codyt
03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Good stuff Dargon, great creativity and design here. Hopefully you can pull off something as strong as you're vision with the concept of the tentacles holding her up out of the water. I just happened to find this thread, so I wonít comment on the concepts, but as for the zbrushing stage, I think itís a good start.

It's going to be tough staying true to the concepts when they are detailed so well. One thing thatís bothering me is how sharp the cheek bones/face features are on this compared to the original concept. It takes away from her beauty, and makes her a hell of a lot more sinister/witch like. But thats great if thats the direction you actually want to go in (which I could understand for dominance war). I guess Iím just a sucker for deceptively evil beauties. I also noticed how the shoulder shell armor stuff is flairing out into sharp points instead of curving along the shape of the shoulder. Again, more evil in this rendition. I'm starting to wonder how much more threatening this thing will look with the continued zbrushing haha.

Oh a quick question about the thumbnials you sketched out. You mentioned to Obmoc that you used shapes with you're brush instead of line with mirrors turned on. What program were you using for this? And could you explain it a little clearer for me if its photoshop. I would love to have something that would mirror a my brush strokes in a paint program.

Keep on bangin out the solid work man!

DTRAN
03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
like smac said, i am not surprise you are this far ahead. you have always been one of the faster modellers. I do like the concept sketch of her face alot and i too feel this is a bit removed from that. But i know you are still working on it so keep rocking it!

PeterBraeley
03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
crazy stuff again!! keep it up!!!

Dargon
03-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi Guys - thanks for the comments!

@Obmoc:Yah, eventually much of what I sketched will be there - although the idea will likely shift as I work...
@GregStrangis, NiklasElling, smacdonald, DTRAN: She's already closer to the concept, I'll post later - but as soon as I saw them both right next to each other (when I posted), I realised just how far off I really was, and took steps. Later today you'll see, but I want to accomplish some more sculpting first.
@NiklasElling: I do a lot of work on the lower subdivision, but that's a throwback to how we worked at Relic on Dawn of War II. We had to send in the low poly for approval by Games Workshop before we started (wasted time with) the high poly. It's a decent way to work, but I'm trying to be more organic with my process on this one, so I haven't nailed down my final poly layout yet, and I'm not worried about going over or under the count yet, giving me room to make up stuff as I go.
@smacdonald: I'm planning on making a transition from boney like her shoulders to slimey like an octopus. I had some ideas for either keeping it like octupus all the way along, or perhaps being more like a squid with it flaring out at the end. We'll see what looks best when I get there!

Dargon
03-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Hello again! A small, but important update (she looks less manly now):

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_04.jpg

Lots to do!

Back to it.

Hexahedron
03-30-2009, 12:37 AM
(Had to edit it, Dargon just posted before me lol)

But indeed, now she looks more like the concept, good work man, keep it up.
Cheers,

James

NiklasElling
03-30-2009, 08:45 AM
That's really a big difference. I like how you implemented the horns. I dont know why really but something is bothering me with her lower lip. I think it's the shape of it. Kind of pointy in the middle but it may be the angle of view.
Anyway, it's looking great. Keep it up.

adib
03-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Good work man! Keep it up CGSociety team!:beer:

StrongRum
03-30-2009, 02:01 PM
This is looking really cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the end product!

polygonhead
03-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey dude!

This is a great start, you are always so ambitious and I admire that.
I don't want to take you away from your direction, but when i think of demon princess, i think of contrast. Like taking something beautiful and making it disturbing. If you are going for more of a realistic approach to the face you should use as much reference as you can, like this hot little vixen (Olivia Wilde). She has those devilish eyes and strong facial lines that you just wanted to eat up.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5297/dom4modelrev.jpg

Dargon
03-31-2009, 08:06 AM
Another day, another update!

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_05.jpg

Decided to lay off the face for a while, now that she's looking human enough, I'm working on the rest of the body. I'll return to the face later.

@NiklasElling: I'll look into the lip. Thanks for pointing it out.
@D4ME: I'll work on making her hotter. :)

Thanks everybody - keep the feedback coming!

DTRAN
03-31-2009, 08:11 AM
That hands looking really tight! I also like the new face you have for her, dave.
It feels like i am the only one that hasn't started my zbrush. hahaha.

Excellent progress!

nellement
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Great progress,hands are awesome

vikramvr
03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Beautiful entry. Love the hands. Can't wait to see the completed model

Kharn-ivor
03-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Nice start on the sculpt, I like the tention youve put in the hand and their positioning. Good job, and good luck with the rest :)

polygonhead
03-31-2009, 11:38 PM
yah man this hand is really good, i agree that the tension and positioning is wick! keep going bud, this is gonna be awesome.

StefanoDubay
04-01-2009, 12:16 AM
nice work on the gesture of these m8 :)
is maybe a bit weird tht insertion on the front face of the arm, it should be there but in does cut deep quite a bit and maybe a bit lower as positioning??

Dargon
04-01-2009, 05:36 AM
Not the end of my evening's work, but a pretty good place to do a post:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_06.jpg

Yes, that's feet now. Hands and feet out of the way, I can now go back to all that original stuff.

@DTRAN: You're not the only one, in fact out of us Relic/Ex-Relicers, I think I'm the only one sculpting - you guys have to get a move on!! *hint hint*
@StefanoDubay: I'm not sure what you mean by front face of the arm. As far as how deep the cut, It's for making a normal map eventually, so for good results I try to exaggerate what I'm painting.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Cheers,

Dargon

GregStrangis
04-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Good job on the feet Dave! her hand/arm came out pretty awesome as well, I can't do that pose she is doing with her toes but I am sure she is doing it for a reason ;)

Dargon
04-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Small update today (sort of):
http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_07.jpg

Really was just working on body sculpting today, trying to get her proportions to somewhere I'm generally happy with, before I start covering her with everything that makes her look cool.

Still a few areas that need some loving, but much of this is getting covered with skulls, armour, teeth and feathers, so it's probably good enough for now. I can always refine more when I figure out what's still visible!

Pretty sure I'm still on schedule, I'd love to get a bit further ahead though. There'll be a few weekends where I hardly get to work on it at all, so it would be good to be a little further along.

Anyways, some sleep, some work, and then back at it tomorrow!

Cheers,

Dargon

Dargon
04-03-2009, 10:05 AM
OK, another update, this time I need some feedback:
http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_08.jpg

Trying out some armour patterns for the legs (I always intended to put armour on the legs, to reflect the chest armour, and to bring the right level of detail to each area of the character. This is rough, and unfinished, but safely on a layer, so I can delete it if on the wrong path.

I'm liking where it's going, if it's hard to see, the plan is to have ceramic plates stitched crudely on the outside of her pants. Between the plates on the side of her leg are animal teeth stiched in using the same thread. I plan to add a lot more detail to the plates.

As I've said, I like it, but I thought it best to get a reading from you guys - so keep, change, or throw away in favour of something else?

Cheers,

Dargon

farazmobin
04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
looks cool, but right now as you said that its unfinished ,its kinda hard to imagine it maybe add a few more subdiv lvls and little more detials. that is for this test. im pretty sure you will nail the final

Dargon
04-03-2009, 07:51 PM
@farazmobin: Thanks for the feedback - yeah, the layer is locked to that subdivision, so if I add more subdivisions, I'm kind of committing to the look.

Dargon
04-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Just a quick screen grab. Nearly done detailing her leg armour:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_09.jpg

Cheers,

Dargon

vikramvr
04-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Beautiful work with the sculpt. One comment though, the end of the pant seems to be a little stiff. It could do with some wrinkles. I love the way you have posed the right fingers on the right hand.

tonytrout
04-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Shes gorgeous. One thing, maybe its the angle but the left side of her chin looks like its taken a knock. Lovely work.

Ataulfo
04-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Awesome 3D model. Amazing detailing.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep it up:beer:

NavigatorJones
04-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Sweet! I'm glad you gave her such strong arms and back muscles XD Makes her stand out against the more delicate females :D

Maxter
04-05-2009, 07:20 PM
She looks pretty well.. really nice sculpt man, looking forward for more progress...:thumbsup:

nellement
04-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Keep rocking!

Dargon
04-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback!

The pose is temporary, I just used transpose master really quickly to make her more dynamic - and as such there are a few artifacts - areas I didn't notice got stretched.

@vikramvr: I haven't worked my way down to the bottom of the pants yet, the plan is to tear them up to expose more of her legs.
@tonytrout: I'm going to rework the face entirely, but that particular bit is an artifact of transpose mastering - ooops!
@NavigatorJones: Yeah, it's important for me that she looks like she could kill - not because of fairy pixie powers, but because of sheer will. Plus, a little extra definition will make the normal map more useful.

Look for another update today, and thanks again for the feedback, it's been quite helpful!

Cheers,

Dargon

Dargon
04-06-2009, 04:23 AM
Finished the legs - well the waist down, not including things like the skulls which will be attached to the hips, and perhaps some other trinkets. But pretty much, finished.

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_10.jpg

As explanation, the black parts at the bottom will be alpha'd out.

Cheers,

Dargon

namnocilis
04-06-2009, 04:36 AM
wow! the details on the legs are awesome! that knee pad looks a bit odd though
i really love that shader which you used to show hands and feet..Great Going!

Ravis3057
04-06-2009, 04:48 AM
Looks awsome. Hard to critique on stuff that looks so good. I checked out your website too, really nice stuff. I would love to know how you got the curly hair done in your Wii model. Hope your normal maps will turn out as beautifully as you have modeled them in zbrush. I am always struggling to keep the quality in my normal maps.

Avis

DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=742500)

ahmedadel0077
04-06-2009, 05:57 AM
heya man really sexy demon down there , i would take her for a drink without even hesitating
anyway only one critic , her foot looks too strong to a female also her foot fingers looks weird ,i think small , i am not sure exactly , but i thought to say what i noticed , but again great job , she is super sexy , keep it up :beer:

Dargon
04-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the comments!

@namnocilis: The shader on the hands is called hardstyle, and can be downloaded at Pixologic's site: http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/library/
@Ravis3057: Glad you liked! As for the hair, It might be easiest to see how in this picture (http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Construction_Submit_01.jpg), and you can see the texture sheets in my GameArtisan gallery (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/competitions/4/preview_finals_1_913_enhanced.html). Basically, the geometry was just a cylinder (capped) that had another cylinder (not capped) underneath it, which had alpha on it. This allowed me to have the main bulk of the curl solid, and also to re-use a lot of texture space. The normals were painted by hand in Photoshop.
@artistcg: I'll keep that in mind. Much of my sculpt is a little exaggerated, so that after diffuse is applied, it will still be seen, even though it will be a lot more subtle. The feet will look less strong by the end. If it's still looking strong at that point, it's not a biggy to smooth out the detail.

Cheers,

Dargon

Segvoia
04-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Beautiful work David :beer:

Locusta
04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Amazing details! Great work. I like that pattern and ribbon structures alot.

Keep it going. Thumbs up!

Dargon
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Much of this was last night, did a little more at lunch today, thought I should post it. My apologies the capture isn't the best one, I was a bit rushed:
http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_11.jpg

Cheers,

Dargon

GregStrangis
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Not much to crit on the skulls as they look pretty sweet! I am not sure about the inside of her arms, they seem to have an unnatural curve, maybe her elbows are pinching in a tiny bit too much. Minor crit tho keep going!

Cyborgguineapig
04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Asweet work man, can't wait to see more. Agree about the comments of the face but I know you said you will return to it later.

Dargon
04-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Some time spent refining, and detailing her armour:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_12.jpg

Cheers,

Dargon

Synectikos
04-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Hey Dargon,

You model is looking really good. Her bottom lip looks a bit big and pouting right now.

The skulls and armor are really well done, as well as the tendons on her wrists/forearms.

MartinNielsen
04-10-2009, 12:21 AM
The quality of your work is superb :beer: Her eyes look so nasty :twisted:

DTRAN
04-11-2009, 05:52 PM
A delicious update dave! Man at this rate you will be done in like..uh..what? a week? But yeah this is looking great! the details is perfect! A def contender!

polygonhead
04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey dude, lovin all he deets so far, proportions feel great. Did you consider subtools for her straps on her upper torso? They seem a little low rez, and might look cleaner if they were a separate mesh.

keeping it real, keeping it tight!

cheers

Segvoia
04-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Great progress! I love your detail on the hands and feet. Only crit, on your last post the belly looks a bit hard and flat, but I'm sure your working on that as I type this ;)

Can't wait to see the color render!

Soggyclog
04-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Looking great man! The details are awesome, especially on the skulls and hands.

Dargon
04-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Well, it's been a bit of a wait for this update. I lost the entire long weekend, and coming back I decided to do a bit of an experiment for my pedestal, and I didn't want to show anything until I had proved some of the concept.

Basically, I plan on wrapping the tentacles around some of the features of the pedestal, so I needed to make the pedestal before making the tentacles.

This is rough so far, and there's still a bit to model in. But it's coming along:
http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_13.jpg

In addition to what's there will be some scaffolding surrounding the block, to give her a bit more to hold on to.

@Synectikos: I'll look into that. I think I'm pretty close to what the face will be, remembering that she's getting face paint.
@polygonhead: Yeah, I'm having some resolution issues. Mostly the stomach area got hit hard with triangulation when I targeted the legs with an extra subdivision, so I figured I'd fix that area up in Photoshop.
@Segvoia: Certainly all areas are going to continue to get tweaks right up to finishing - thanks for pointing it out though!

Looking forward to hear what you all think!

Cheers,

Dargon

Edit: Just realised this render makes the Angel's leg look short - it's just camera angle!

Ravis3057
04-17-2009, 01:18 AM
I would be careful, these are the rules for the pedestal

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/images/ball.gifNo additional weapons or gear that your character can pick up and use can be put on the pedestal. http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/images/ball.gifNo additional characters, pets, animals, pieces of characters, dead characters, etc, can be put on your pedestal. Only Bones and skulls are fine.

Dargon
04-17-2009, 09:06 PM
I would be careful, these are the rules for the pedestal

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/images/ball.gifNo additional weapons or gear that your character can pick up and use can be put on the pedestal. http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/images/ball.gifNo additional characters, pets, animals, pieces of characters, dead characters, etc, can be put on your pedestal. Only Bones and skulls are fine.

I checked with Heavyness and Fred, and was given a go-ahead. That being said, I think I hate how it looks, so I'm going to go in a totally different direction - perhaps I can recoup some of the lost work still, but...

Dargon
04-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Finally got the Tentacles blocked in, not done yet though!

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_14.jpg

Like to hear your thoughts!

Cheers,

Dargon

ROBOTTANK
04-20-2009, 09:59 AM
wow dude! lookin good...one thing I don't care too much about though, is everything is too symmetrical, the tentacles, arms and legs, outfit, etc.. I think your character appears very stiff in result of this. I'd disperse a few random bends to break it up a bit. great job overall.

QuantumPixel
04-20-2009, 06:01 PM
boy, with all those tentacles I think your going to have trouble with the 10 000 tri budget no?

Dargon
04-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback!

@ROBOTTANK: There are a few things with asymmetry, but yeah, right now it's a bit symmetrical. It just makes things easier to model the longer I keep it that way. It's just about time to do all those kinds of touches though.
@QuantumPixel: Right now my tentacles make up 1,800 of my triangles, so I think I'll be fine since I budgeted for ~2500.

Cheers,

Dargon

Dargon
04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Did this last night, but time's getting slim, so I'm putting together my WIPs the following lunch hour now.

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_15.jpg

Basically, I finished the high res for the tentacles, and started the retopology of the body. Hoping to be texturing by Wednesday, but we'll see!

Stutts
04-21-2009, 08:44 PM
This is looking Awesome man! Can't wait to see it finished!:buttrock:

Dargon
04-23-2009, 08:26 PM
So I'm still baking - whee! But lucky for me, I have 2 PCs, so I can continue to work while I bake. So I did the skull that hangs off her chest armour:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_16.jpg

One more thing to bake!!!

Dargon
04-24-2009, 10:45 AM
And the normals, more or less, are baked.

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_17.jpg

Shadow and Normal maps on real-time shader.

Soggyclog
04-25-2009, 07:03 PM
The projection and all that turned out great man... onto the fun part!

Dargon
04-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Steaming along now! I have a lot of work to do, but all my files are set up to work really well for it. I thought that in the spirit of the teamwork that this competition is all about, I'll post a lot of the steps of my texture painting, so that people can see the way I work, and perhaps it will influence their methods.

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_18.jpg

So, the steps I've taken so far (for texturing) are:

Baked normal, shadow and height maps from high res geometry
Cleaned up the results of those maps
Desaturated the normal map and used it as an overlay along with the shadow and height maps to get a start on the B&W for my diffuse.
Created a new layer, set to "Hard Light" for each of the material types of my character, and painted them in with a solid colour. This gives me something that I can use as masks later as I texture. I locked and labelled all these layers.
After those are all filled in, I re-filled them with a base colour that is closer to the colour that section will eventually be, to give a good starting point.
Next, I'll be:

Developing the general tone and gradients across all materials.
Start working on the textural quality of each material one by one.

@Soggyclog: Thanks man - between this and sculpting -any step with a pen in my hand instead of a mouse is the fun part!

Cheers,

Dargon

Dargon
04-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Developing general tone:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_19.jpg

Of course, she's going to get painted symbols all over her, so this will change the tone story somewhat, but I think it's best to block her in before the paint first.

QuantumPixel
04-26-2009, 08:39 AM
how is the low rez mesh coming along?

Dargon
04-26-2009, 10:11 AM
how is the low rez mesh coming along?

I'd say fairly good! Low res is already built, and I'm working on the textures now. Last 3 posts have been the Low res with the normal map applied.

I'll post one with edges turned on tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dargon

QuantumPixel
04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
O wow lol I totally didnt think that was the low rez mesh. impressed.

Dargon
04-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Another few hours, still working primarily in broad strokes. A bit of posing, this will be a slow process as moving pivots and rotating is such a process in Max. Thinking I might need to rig the tentacles just to pose them.

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_20.jpg

And a wireframe for QuantumPixel:
http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_21.jpg

Cheers,

Dargon

tewicks
04-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Hey nice work bro, I'm liking the texture heaps so far. I may try follow your method for texture painting, could help me a lot :)

Ghostesper
04-27-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm drooling over your post, your character is so friggin cool! haha, keep it up, as a student I've learned a lot from this competition, and thanks for your texture painting method because it only gives me more insight into my direction I should take for my workflow.

Dargon
04-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys!

@Untamed, Ghostesper: I hope it's useful! Since it seems to be appreciated, I'll keep it up - look for another post tonight!

Cheers,

Dargon

tewicks
04-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Cheers man, looking forward to it.

I was actually 90% through masking out my different materials when my file corrupted somehow, and I lost everything! Oh well I will work extra hard today :D

Dargon
04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Took a little while before there was enough of a change to be worth posting:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_22.jpg

Just refining the diffuse, adding a bit of shading to the armour and cloth, and cleaning stuff up. Still tonal treatments, textural is soon to come.

@Untamed: Sorry to hear about your corruption - hoped you recovered OK!

Cheers,

Dargon

ROBOTTANK
04-30-2009, 10:28 AM
wow dude, lookin good! you're probably not open for crits but..couldn't hold back, it'd be cool to see those tentacles more reddish to match her outfit, maybe even one wrapped around her leg. Her belt looks flat because it doesn't extend past the sides of her hips. It seems like there isn't any tension on the ribbon around her, it looks glued on especially under the breasts, and lastly (personal taste) I wish the skin just above the leg armor wasn't exposed. But anyway, overall I love it man, your character looks amazing.

Dargon
05-01-2009, 01:37 AM
wow dude, lookin good! you're probably not open for crits but..couldn't hold back, it'd be cool to see those tentacles more reddish to match her outfit, maybe even one wrapped around her leg. Her belt looks flat because it doesn't extend past the sides of her hips. It seems like there isn't any tension on the ribbon around her, it looks glued on especially under the breasts, and lastly (personal taste) I wish the skin just above the leg armor wasn't exposed. But anyway, overall I love it man, your character looks amazing.

Thanks for the crits ROBOTTANK! I can't do anything about some of that this late in the game, but what I can do with texture, I'll look in to.

The tentacles aren't final (nothing is, really), so adjusting the hue will likely happen as i go. It's important to me that they are pink in comparison with the rest of her, but I will make every attempt to make them look like they fit with the rest of the character. Also, they aren't posed yet, they're still in "bind pose". I'll be doing more with them, but it pretty much means rigging them, so I've been putting it off.

I admit the belt looks flat in this render - quite unusual considering it has normals AND geo. I'll look into why that happened.

I think the sliver of skin will work better when more of my texturing is done. It was supposed to fit in with the horizontal nature of the detail of the legs, which will get more exaggerated as I texture it.

Cheers,

Dargon

johnwoo
05-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Really cool work so far man!...it's coming together real well!...good job!...the bake from the high detail has come out awesome too!...

Looking forward to more!...

Good stuff!

nellement
05-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Keep rockin' man!

Dargon
05-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Latest:

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_23.jpg

Worked on:

Armour, diffuse and spec
Tentacles, diffuse (about 60-70% done)
Skulls, diffuse.
Major work on pedestal and rendering (not shown)
Still lots to go, hope to get it all done in time!!!

Cheers,

Dargon

QuantumPixel
05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Wonderful work on this dargon. I am super glad you are pulling this off.. I am interested to see your UVs later on when you submit your final sheets. Last year I took on the challenge of tentacles and was not able to pull it off as well as you are doing.. good job on making them feel wet and keeping them hirez enough to look believable. Good job.

Where is the forum logo on your character.

Stutts
05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
nothin to crit from me this is looking really sweet man! keep it up!

polygonhead
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
coloured specular :D

good job, its looking pretty completed to me dude. alot of work went into those tenties and it shows forsure ;)

are the tenticles going to be supporting her up in the air? if so, maybe you could point her foot and toes more down so it doesn't look like shes walking on air. And arc the back slightly to add more sex appeal.

cheers!

DTRAN
05-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Nice looking work indeed! Its funny, i was going to suggest what dame pointed out.
Good to see you getting to the finish line. The lighting and ped should bring this home.

smacdonald
05-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Nice post Dave, this is looking great. I cant wait to see what you end up doing with the final pose, especially the tenticals. My only crit is they dont seem large and menacing anymore, theres not a lot of taper to them like in your original concept. any reason for this? Keep it up!

MartinNielsen
05-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Great work :) Your character looks good at a very high technical level.

Dargon
05-06-2009, 05:14 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the comments!

@QuantumPixel: Thanks! There's not a lot of special tricks, (I had considered tiling, amongst other things) but they are mirrored. Other than that, I modeled them with a slight curvature so that there'd be one naturally, and spent most of my polys in cross sections.
@polygonhead: Hey D4ME! I've taken that into account, and adjusted accordingly. I'll be posting the final pose on the stand soon.
@smacdonald: Things just changed as it got into 3D. Even though I did a lot of concept work, I always intended to let the modelling flow take me where it would go. Otherwise all the fun would of already been done!

Anyways...

I need your help!

I had always planned to do face-paint on this model, and now that it's finally a good time to apply it, I'm at a impasse. I can't decide what to do with the face-paint, or even whether I should have any at all.

So I could use your opinions!

Please do me the favour and reply with the letter of which face paint pattern you like, or at least, which elements you like!

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_24.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Dargon

ahmedadel0077
05-06-2009, 05:34 AM
K
E

that would be my choices , keep it man , the model is looking great :applause:

dmightyone
05-06-2009, 07:15 AM
K

great model btw! keep it up!

Synectikos
05-06-2009, 07:53 AM
I think "K" is the most effective and easiest to read.

Dargon
05-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Well the Girlfriend says K too, and it was in my 5 as well, so I guess that's what I'll go with - thanks for your help everybody!!!

daelon
05-06-2009, 09:25 AM
K E i think too.

MartinNielsen
05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't really like any of them. So A for me. Clean and simple is just my taste :)

Abrvpt
05-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Really good job so far dude... Didnt comment before because i saw nothing to crit. :p I'll pick I, K is quite 'common' if you pardon me the expression... Maybe you should be inspired by Age of Conan's stygian facial tattoos. (Or maybe you are already)

GregStrangis
05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Hey Dave, I like K as well, Maybe make it bleed down a bit more tho perhaps and see how that looks? keep on rocking man! No rush with the 7 day extension now!

MR
05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
K and D. The others are too desturbing... Good luck

ROBOTTANK
05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
to be different, I think the 'I' version would be interesting, without the dots, something like this...(hope you don't mind the paint-over on your image):

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa215/hafdedplatoonleader/Dom_4_Model.jpg

jett12
05-06-2009, 09:26 PM
I liked E alot

hugemalaka
05-06-2009, 10:52 PM
She doesnt have a facial structure to support such facial tatoos imo. A and K are your best bet.

paratrooper
05-06-2009, 11:44 PM
I like "I" SERIOUS, but need small update.
I like the rest of them, but not match to the mood of the face,
only "i" is good for the face, even more scared.

polygonhead
05-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Yah man my vote is for "I", if shes an evil character this defines her face more skull like and doesn't distract you from the overall structure and detail. I think you should stay away from dots......
clowns wear dots

cheers!

QuantumPixel
05-07-2009, 04:16 PM
I would say A, I or K are the best.. K is my fav.

CHRiTTeR
05-08-2009, 08:38 AM
a,d,k

*filler*

Dargon
05-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for your help so far guys! I've got a second round for you, taking the most popular 2 (and the two I'm most split on) and working a few iterations.

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Model_25.jpg

You'll note that the "no face paint" option is removed, 'cause I really think it's needed - character design wise.

Careful observers might also notice I've been still at it with the model and texture changes - totally on schedule still for the original due date, so I'm going to spend the extra time tweaking and making it just so.

Cheers,

Dargon

ROBOTTANK
05-09-2009, 10:18 AM
'D' is really bad ass dude, I'd go with that one definitely, if I had to choose a second, I''d say 'C'..

DDS
05-09-2009, 11:03 AM
G - keep on rockin'!

Abrvpt
05-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I'll pick D then B. ;)

CHRiTTeR
05-09-2009, 06:35 PM
i like g the most

MR
05-09-2009, 06:42 PM
1.C 2.E and 3.G

TipsyMonk
05-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Badass! Love your character! I like A to be honest. The face isn't so overwhelmed and lost. But hey, that's just me!

Cheers! :beer:

IrvinDosReis
05-10-2009, 06:04 PM
G or A.

Very good project, and a good way for people like me to learn some tips. Thanks!

Dargon
05-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi all, thanks for all your help along the way!

Well, I guess I'm nearing the end now, I'm starting to put together my presentation. This will be my "Presentation Shot". Hope you like it!

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Dom_4_Presentation_01.jpg

C&C are still welcome, even at this late stage!

Cheers,

Dargon

ROBOTTANK
05-13-2009, 08:56 AM
beautiful work man.., i like the base, however i wish there was maybe another color in with all that green (just a thought)..

tewicks
05-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Character looks great man :) Love the work on the base too, nice little details like the grass which is nice. Looking forward to seeing your next update

jett12
05-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Love the base and pose, looks great.

Maybe modify the spec map on the blood on the hands? Seems a little flat.. like its dried, a little glare off it just might bring it out more.

Great job with this piece.

MartinNielsen
05-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Excellent result all the way :beer: I really like the little detail with the tentacle in the water :)

Segvoia
05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Good work Dargon ;)

Stutts
05-13-2009, 02:28 PM
:buttrock: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)AWESOME!!!:buttrock:

Dargon
05-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks everybody! Keep any suggestions coming - even if I end up not having the time to fix in this image, I'm still working on the beauty shot, and can use your suggestions there!

@ROBOTTANK: There's a bit of a melody of colour, I've tried to keep it all in the same family though, to unify it and knock it back compared to the character herself.
@jett12: I have quite a bit of spec on the blood, but obviously this particular angle loses the effect. I'll work on that.
@MartinNielsen: Thanks! That's one of my favourite parts too!

Cheers,

Dargon

DTRAN
05-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Congrats Dave!

I have two crits for you.

1) i agree with robottank. You do need another colour in the ped. I think that if you make the water darker you can really push the contrast and really pop out the statue and more importantly the tentacles that will strengthen your the silhouette of the character.

2) the earrings she has on her horn. i think it takes away from her head and again the silhouette is a bit busy there.

Good to see a finshed product looking really sweet!

-d

GaeasHerald
05-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Sweet Lord, this thing keeps getting better and better! I do agree with the suggestion of making the water darker, just to make it pop even more.
Keep amazing us!

QuantumPixel
05-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Hey, you want to form a clan?

check out this link if you have not looked yet.

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/clans/en.php

We need one more artist from the same race and we could have a sweet clan. Your Princess, My Demon Prince and hopefully we can find a Demon Lord and an abomination or two making 3-5 artists.

What do you think?

paratrooper
05-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Good job,Dave. :)
Cheers.

Dargon
05-18-2009, 06:09 AM
AAaaaaannnd done.

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Beauty_Shot.jpg

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Presentation_Shot.jpg

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Concept.jpg

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Textures.jpg

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Construction.jpg

http://clockworkbeetle.com/images/mine/3d/gameart/Thrax_Ha_Text.jpg

Thank you so much to all of you who gave critique and opinions along the way, you were extremely helpful!

Cheers,

Dargon!

hugemalaka
05-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Very nice dude :) Doesnt it feel good to be done? I'll be done myself in about 30 minutes, and already i feel the relief! Lol

JorgeBarros
05-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Wow! :)

Loved your beauty Shot!! =D

I've just finished all my final images aswell, and I'm ready to submit them finally! xD And yeah, it's 6h30am here, and I have classes at 9am xD Not going, obviously ^^ My parents will kill me if they wake up right now... xD

I wish you the best luck on this contest!

polygonhead
05-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Congratulations dude,

Alot of work went into this, I would be very proud of what you accomplished, considering you do this work full-time all day as well.

I really like how you made a little strip for your beauty shot! nice touch :)

Well get some rest you deserved it.

Cya on Tuesday

JacqueChoi
05-18-2009, 09:03 AM
You're Ro's friend!

:D

Congrats on a strong piece dude!

Dargon
05-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks everybody!

Yeah, it's going to be great to not work on anything (outside of work) for a little while.

Before the next project comes up... :)

ihamid
05-19-2009, 01:23 AM
hey Dargon .. dropping by to congratulate on finishing one of the coolest entry's here:beer:.

DTRAN
05-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Congrats Dave!! The final product is a gem!

adriendebos
05-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Congrats for finishing this year Dave, and good luck! ;)

FrozZT
05-19-2009, 09:37 AM
This looks pretty damn awesome. Wouldnt suprise me at all if this gets a top spot. Congrats on finishing such a nice execution. Good luck with the judging! :)

-Niklas

Synectikos
05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Looks great, Dave! I love your beauty shot. The bloody hand on her eye is awesome. Clever how you separated that out on the texture sheet. ;)

Good luck with the judging!

nellement
05-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Congrats on great job!

DDS
05-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I love the proportions and the style, very nice. Also all the shots are very nicely put.

Abrvpt
05-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Good job Dude ! Very nice entry, i really think you can get at least to the top 50. Congrats ;)

MR BINK
05-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Looks great Dave :)

FranciscoAlvarezDelgado
05-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Congratulations on finishing, very nice polished end result. The presentation is top notch too man. Good luck

farazmobin
05-20-2009, 09:08 PM
great model and a good presentation. good luck man.

Soggyclog
05-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Good job, looks great man! Good luck :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2009, 10:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.