PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 2D - Donglu-Littlefish - Invoker

Donglu-LittleFish
03-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I am going to design a magician for DW IV. Still in a very early brainstorming stage, I will do some sketches soon.
Good luck to everyone, let's all have fun.:arteest:

Last update:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/concept37_small.jpg

Ferx
03-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Hey Donglu,

Really cool to see you in this challenge, all the best and ready for your first concepts :D Good luck!

GaeasHerald
03-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Great to see you here Donglu! I'm sure you'll be in the Cgsociety Dream Team :bounce:
Best of luck.

mrpeace
03-16-2009, 05:17 AM
Nice to see you Donglu...Good luck :buttrock:

Donglu-LittleFish
03-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi, Ferx, GaeasHerald, MrPeace, so good to see you guys! :)

I made up my mind on few major aspects of the character: an ice mage equipped with a beast companion. A first really rough concept to kick off the start.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/concept01.jpg

MartinNielsen
03-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey little fish :) Another battle for us to fight. Sweet drawing you have there :)

Donglu-LittleFish
03-17-2009, 04:36 PM
some update...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/concept06.jpg

JackZhang
03-17-2009, 04:36 PM
second one i go with.

Donglu-LittleFish
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
In order to have more design freedom, I changed the race to demon-princess. An update of the design:
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/concept08.jpg

AlexisDubois
03-18-2009, 03:27 PM
I like your idea and sketches, the demon-princess looks powerful and her beast companion could be very interesting.
Good luck!

MartinNielsen
03-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Nice work again :) I wonder what the "wing"-things are for? To me they look like a weapon of some kind.

KevinDubeau
03-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah, those wings remind me of infested Sarah Kerrigan. I dig her helmet

Good luck Donglu!

regimon019
03-19-2009, 11:40 AM
nice start!!! love the ice mage though.. the beast companion rocks... but the demon princess shows a lot of promise... i like how the wings look... great job! :) cheers

Donglu-LittleFish
03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Hey Alexis, Kevin, so good to see the Pratice Workshop crew members here, thanks for the support! Good call Kevin, didn't think about Sarah Kerrigan until you mention it, I will look for more reference to get some inspiration.

Martin, you are right, the wings are not meant for flying, there are eyes located at each joint which allow her to see from different angles and analyze the ennemies' skiils and abilities.

Regimon, thanks for the kind words. I still want to keep the ice theme with the demon princess, she should have the power to manipulate ice even though it is not considered as magic.

Ferx
03-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Hey Donglu,

Really cool sketches :) Like the design of the demon princess. Her right hand is a very cool touch! Cant wait to see more updates on your concept ! Cheers!! :D

Donglu-LittleFish
03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks Ferx!

Here is a more detailed concept:
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/concept09.jpg

MartinNielsen
03-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Great update :) The "eye-wings" make more sense now.

spez
03-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Looking good Donglu! I really like the hair and the idea of all the eyes!! Keep it up!!!

Ataulfo
03-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi Donglu, nice to see you here. :)

Amazing sketches. The last one is really great.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep it up:beer:

Akiman
03-20-2009, 05:24 PM
hiya Donglu;

Very nice progress! :D And ''eye'' concept looks really good on her.

My only critic is you may want to put more appeal to her. I mean a part that seperates it from other demon princes(ses) . Eyes seperates the concept but they're making minimal difference in general sillouethe.
Looking forward to see more works :).

Good Luck!

Donglu-LittleFish
03-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi Martin, Atauflfo, thanks for the encouragement!

Akiman, I totally agree with you, I find something is missing too. My intial thought was to give her a beast companion, now I am thinking about intergrating the beast into her, make it part of her body somehow, still have to struggle with the design. Thanks for the input!

DarkBlueArt
03-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Hello

great concept art, just loving it! But, as said before, something special is missing. One suggestion: Maybe you could exaggarate the thorns and her right arm, and do the same with her right leg. So she maybe gets some interesting asymmetry.

So long

Akiman
03-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Weee! Bring it on!!

Be careful though.
''human-like or alien-like characteristics. If not for a few demon-like body traits (bat wings, horns, tail etc), they could easily pass for a natural intelligent human, alien, elf etc of that kind.''

I won't say design is an alien concept.It's obviously a hot princess :D .

Come to think of it beast within can be demon-like body traits, right? I think it is :D . My opinion is overdoing traits may have cause for making demon princess into something else.

But then again it can't be an abomination or demon lord for its size and excellent proportions.Huh:shrug: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Okay! This critics going nowhere lmao :D . I think its free way to go. Either way it will be still human.

Donglu-LittleFish
03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks DarkBlueArt, Akiman!

Indeed, I didn't want to go too risky for the demon princess by incoporating a monster inside her, so I rather gave her a gigantic pet to make her look more empowering.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/concept10.jpg

Hexahedron
03-23-2009, 12:59 PM
It looks amazingly beautiful. I love the style and specially the last sketch. It looks really powerful.
My only critic would be that I feel the legs are too empty comparatively to the massive amount of detail you put in the rest of the body. Otherwise, your entry kicks ass.

Keep it up!

Cheers.

Ferx
03-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey Donglu,

Really great updates :D Like a lot the glowing energy on her toso. The design of the "pet" is really great. She transfom her wings to that monster? That can be really cool :D Again, great work and design! Cant wait to see more on your concept! Cheers!!

CGsavant
03-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Very cool--I also like the wings, I envision webbed fire/red energy filaments running between the spans so that she can have limited flight or maybe use them as a scythe. Can't wait to see the portrait!

rhemrev
03-23-2009, 10:15 PM
ooh,nice stuff! I really like the very first thumbnails best, they looked 'different' from othe rdigital artists, while in the latter ones you seem to have lost that edge....

Crit on last pic: don't have the dragon mess up the rather strong sillhouet of the girl, her blade now blends in with the dragons head, aswell as her horns and cape....try to avoid this; a good quick test is to up the contrast REAL high and end up with a B&W image, and this image should have a silhouet that still 'reads' the pose of the girl aswell as the dragon.

Maybe have the dragon do a big swirl movement around the girl, like a big yin/yang symbol or something? Just thinking outloud here...:P

cool stuff!

-Edwin

Donglu-LittleFish
03-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Hexahedron: Thanks, good observation, I haven't been really working on the legs, Because I am sure to give her armor suit to cover up the legs or leave them exposed to make her more "exotic".

Ferx:Thanks for the continuous support! I took off the wings, she will just go to the battlefield with her huge pet. I don't want to over use the demon traits, her claws arm and the horns are enough for the design purpose.

CGsavant: Thanks for the comments. I took off the wings because they won't be obvious due to the pet heads over her shoulder, I really want to keep a stong silhouette.

rhemrev: Thanks for dropping by. I put lot of accent on the silhouette too, I was afraid the same thing as you pointed out that the pet would mess up her shape, that is why I decided to make her dark skinned with bright cloth, the pet would remain dark, so she would maintain the silhouette this way.

I am currently working on few poses to show her attitudes.

Donglu-LittleFish
03-26-2009, 01:03 PM
few posing studies:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/concept13_posingcopy.jpg

Ferx
03-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey Donglu,

Nice pose studies! :) Like the center and right poses, on some "X" form , really cool . Maybe you can try two different shapes and forms for the "pet" heads, dont know, one, the dark but wise side and the other head the totally dark dark and evil side, the savage and crazy side... hahahahah :D Onlly a wish ... :D Again, really cool work!

P.S ohh!! I open the 3 page on your thread... deserve a beer :D Cheers!! :beer:

Donglu-LittleFish
04-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi Ferx, thanks for the comments.
Sorry for the lack of updates, because it was getting too busy at work.
I was happy to get back to my drawings.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/blackandwhitestudy01_small.jpg

ShamesArt
04-15-2009, 03:54 PM
wow really great job, I love your concept :thumbsup:

MartinNielsen
04-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Weee.. Finally an update :) Looking good, ace :thumbsup:

LuciferTremblay
04-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Salut Donglu!

Good to see some new sketches, she looks devilish!
C'est hot ca peanut! lol

inmaya
04-15-2009, 05:51 PM
OHH! Nice concept ! Those dragons afraid me ! Nice job ! Go Donglu! :beer:
Un Gros bravo!

Donglu-LittleFish
04-16-2009, 11:23 AM
ShamesArt: Thanks for the kind words, really appreciated. :)
Martin: Yeah, I know, it has been long, and now I realized that I don't have much time left before the deadline. :arteest:

Mathieu and Jonathan: I miss you guys, so great to see you here! Haha, C'est hot ca peanut! You make me so nostalgic of the old MVM days!
P.S. Say Hi to the MVM crew for me. Hope that we see each other around during summer. :D

Ferx
04-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey Donglu,

Really glad that you come back to the battle :D
Like a lot the new update :) Maybe you can mix some of the head designs for the dragons with the before 2 heads concept, too dont look twinned (sorry for the animation term hahahaha :D), and perhaps you can give a try again to the bright armor and more dark skin for the princess ( in that sketch she really looks so sexy :D ) Only silly wishes... hahahaha :D Great work Donglu, and looking forward for more updates!!

StefanoDubay
04-16-2009, 08:08 PM
hei littlefish :) very nice work :)

warmhearted
04-24-2009, 02:15 PM
我们的设计好有共同点。。。也许不会撞车。。。我在hxsd

ChaosShannon
04-26-2009, 06:32 AM
Wow i like the whole process of your work can not wait to see it in color hope you post that up real soon..

ChaosShannon
DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158&page=2&pp=15)

Donglu-LittleFish
04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Started to play with colors and the painting process:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/colorstudy01.jpg

Donglu-LittleFish
04-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Ferx: Thanks, buddy! I will see what design ajustments I can do during the coloring stage. I have been watching your progress too, let's work hard together to finish the battle.

StefanoDubay: Thanks a lot! :)

warmhearted: Hi, great work you are having there! Keep it up.

ChaosShannon: Thanks for the kind words, good luck with your entry!

Ataulfo
04-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi Donglu,
Great progress.:thumbsup: Very good color election.
Keep it up.:beer:

DeadInTheAttic
04-28-2009, 03:23 PM
The colour tune and the character are cool.
If I'd advise something, try to change the two dragonheads on the right side, they look a bit too similar, I think. The upper one might look upwards, showing us more of its chin.

And have you tried to mirror your picture? Reading from the left to the right side is pleasing ours eyes. But if your character looks to the other side, it might look even more intimidating.

Donglu-LittleFish
04-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Little Update of the concept sheet:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/conceptsheet01_small.jpg

Donglu-LittleFish
04-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Ataulfo: Thanks! Good progress you are having with your entry, keep it up!

DeadInTheAttic: Thanks for the input. If I have spare time, i will see what I can do with the pet. :arteest:

JackZhang
05-04-2009, 03:09 AM
you have 7 days left. stop playing Gardening Mama and get back to work!!!

Donglu-LittleFish
05-06-2009, 12:55 PM
hehe, Jack, I think I am going to get Cooking Mama soon.

A close up:
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/concept34_detail.jpg

Ferx
05-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey Donglu,

Cool progress, like the painting stage :D the color palette works really well with your concept, the logo on the belly is a cool touch! :D Waiting for more updates!! Cheers!!

MartinNielsen
05-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Ah! Finally some colors :) I really think your skills improve for each contest you enter :thumbsup:

Hexahedron
05-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Really nice, looks amazing :)

Donglu-LittleFish
05-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Ferx, Martin, thanks guys son much for the constant support and encouragement! It is really appreciated! :)

Hexahedron: Thanks for dropping by, the best of luck with your entry!

Ataulfo
05-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi Donglu,

Great updates. I like a lot the concept entry and the last update is awesome. Very good.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
keep it up :beer:

QuantumPixel
05-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Cool! like the close up render of her.. although the middle chest area to me some thing felt wrong with it. maybe jsut a little loose or some thing.. over all amazing stuff. I like the concept to. very cool.

DTRAN
05-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I Love everything about this character. Thanks for showing us the close up.Stunning! just stunning!

ShogunWarrior
05-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi donglu,

Your character is coming out nicely, it kinda reminds me of world of warcraft character design.. Excellent illustration and colors.. Keep up the good work and hope to see the end result gl

Donglu-LittleFish
05-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Ataulfo: Thanks for the kind words, I had lot of fun for doing the coloring part despite how time consuming it was.

QuantumPixel: Thanks for paying attention to all the details on my drawing, I will see what adjustment I can do.

DTRAN: Thanks for the sweet words, yours is even more impressive, I love all the details you did on your character.

ShogunWarrior: You are right, WOW is definitely one of my inspiration sources. Thanks a lot for the encouragement!

Donglu-LittleFish
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Latest update:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/concept34_small.jpg

Donglu-LittleFish
05-15-2009, 10:02 PM
I think it is finished:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm58/Donglu/DWIV/concept37_small.jpg

MartinNielsen
05-15-2009, 10:27 PM
To me it looks very finished. Congrats :) Your best work so far, IMO :thumbsup:

Donglu-LittleFish
05-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks Martin! Making personal pieces takes lot of energy, especially when the production gets busy. But it is very satisfying psychologically when I get it done. :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2009, 08:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.