PDA

View Full Version : For Chuck - status of Dealer upgrades w/DFX+?

rnb2
07-07-2003, 02:59 PM
Chuck,

I ordered the LW/DFX+ upgrade on June 28th from Safe Harbor, but have been told that they're waiting on shipment from Newtek, and that Newtek is waiting on Eyeon.

I thought I'd still be able to get the electronic 7.5 upgrade, but SH tells me that they can't give me anything until they ship the DFX+ package. I've also heard that I may be getting a physical 7.5 upgrade since I ordered through a dealer, but don't know if that's true.

Any idea when dealers will see product? Now that I've taken the plunge, I want to start diving into 7.5 (been using 6.5 for a couple years now), but keep seeing "Arriving Soon" when I check shipping status at Safe Harbor............

Thanks again for the great support you provide to the LW community, and for keeping your cool under less-than-ideal circumstances on many occasions.

Chuck Baker
07-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

We expect to have stock from eyeon this week, and to resume fulfilling our backorders - of which we have a lot! :)

I'm not sure what the status is on the 7.5 fulfillment - it may be that there will be a CD in the DFX+ box - I'll check with Operations to see what's up with that, and how the electronic upgrade is handled if that's not the case.

rnb2
07-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks Chuck! What's the best way to get an update if I don't see anything from Safe Harbor in the near future?

polarman3d
07-08-2003, 03:09 AM
Hey Chuck --

I'm pretty much in the same shoes as rnb2, except that I ordered mine directly from Newtek. Am I right to assume that mine is backordered also and that I can't have the electronic download for 7.5 until DFX+ ships (assuming that my upgrade will be electronic)?

Thanks for your support and help! ;)

Chuck Baker
07-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Still checking on it, folks!

ChrisS
07-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by rnb2

I've also heard that I may be getting a physical 7.5 upgrade since I ordered through a dealer, but don't know if that's true.

That's what Safe Harbor told me.

Chuck Baker
07-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Okay, back with the scoop!

Everyone who has ordered the LightWave 3D [7.5] upgrade with DFX+, regardless of whether via reseller or direct from NewTek, is getting the LW upgrade on a CD that will be included in the DFX+ package.

ChrisS
07-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info Chuck!
YeeHa! :applause:

polarman3d
07-08-2003, 06:27 PM
That's great! Thanks a lot, Chuck! :thumbsup:

rnb2
07-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the update, Chuck!

So, I guess we're all just waiting for Eyeon...............

rnb2
07-11-2003, 03:36 AM
Chuck,

Any updates on the backorder situation? Safe Harbor still says "Arriving Soon"...........

Rick

ChrisS
07-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by rnb2
Chuck,

Any updates on the backorder situation? Safe Harbor still says "Arriving Soon"...........

Rick

Someone over on the NewTek board got theirs yesterday (Thursday?), though he ordered directly from NewTek.

I had hoped to get it before the weekend. Oh well.
Sounds like it's on the way though! :applause:

ChrisS
07-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Hey rnb2,

Did Safe Harbor send you a confirmation number or anything?
I called them, and they show our order is there. I asked them to send an e-mail at least for reference (if they don't notify until shipment), but have yet to get one.

rnb2
07-11-2003, 03:36 PM
ChrisS,

I never actually got a confirmation number from Safe Harbor - their notification system seems to have malfunctioned the last weekend in June - but if I check my account, there is an order waiting to be shipped. However, it still says "Arriving Soon" as of 10:45am EDT today.

Rick

rnb2
07-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Okay, latest update - just sent an e-mail to Safe Harbor sales, and have been informed that the packages have not yet arrived, though they are hoping to receive them next week. Honestly never thought I'd be waiting nearly a month when I ordered, but what can you do?

preludian
07-14-2003, 09:57 AM
waiting longer than a month now for the update bundle. How can it possibly take soo long. How is it possible to offer such a deal and then not being able to deliver? What's the problem?? Can somebody tell how long I will have to wait??? there WAS a reason why I needed DFX+, I wanted to work and earn some money, so how long is it gonna take???

br
preludian

pixelranger
07-14-2003, 10:55 AM
hm.. a friend of mine ordered it from England 3 weeks ago, and he got it 5 days or so later. What's delaying SOME of the packages?

ChrisS
07-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Seems people in Europe are having better luck getting their orders than some of us in the states.

Called Safe Harbor and they said they had "a few trickle in" today, but still not enough to fill all the orders they've got.

rnb2
07-14-2003, 09:39 PM
I heard yesterday that KeyFrame Magazine had the DFX+ bundles in stock and was giving a 1-year sub as a bonus, but when I called today they had already sold the last one in stock. Didn't want to risk cancelling one backorder for another, so I'm still waiting for Safe Harbor..............

ChrisS
07-14-2003, 09:55 PM
A ballpark timeframe for ya.
According to Safe Harbor there's 11 people ahead of me yet (which they said wasn't "too bad"), and I got my order in on the 30th, so maybe you can form a guesstimate from that.
I suppose it all depends on what they get in and when. :shrug:

rnb2
07-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I've sent an e-mail to sales at Safe Harbor, checking to see where I am on the list. I ordered on the 28th, but since they aren't in on weekends, my order says the 30th. Not sure where that puts me in line.

need4speed
07-15-2003, 04:53 PM
I ordered mine on the 26th from Safe Harbor.....still not heard anything from them yet. Said they would email me with a tracking number when it went out.

Cheers!
Andrew
http://www.cgfocus.com

rnb2
07-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I just got a reply from Safe Harbor letting me know that I wasn't one of the lucky few who are getting the copies that arrived yesterday, and have to wait for the NEXT shipment to arrive. Assuming that one has enough copies to cover the remaining backorders.............

GRRRRRR!

rnb2
07-16-2003, 09:22 PM
Not trying to get anybody's hopes up, but Safe Harbor lists the DFX+ Upgrade package as "In Stock" again.............

ChrisS
07-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Well I'll be a sonofa...
You sure you weren't just seeing things?;)

rnb2
07-16-2003, 09:33 PM
I certainly hope not - nope, just checked again, still there. Still no tracking info or e-mail from them, but a guy can hope, right?

Of course, my mom and sister are going to be in town for the whole weekend, so getting it on Friday might be worse than getting it next week ;)

ChrisS
07-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Hopefully someone wasn't too quick on the keyboard when they got that handful in on Monday.

Keep this in mind:
Sleeping family = LightWave/DFX time.:thumbsup:

rnb2
07-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Oh, there's definitely been a status change since earlier today - on my order page, it went from "In Stock" on Monday back to "Arriving Soon" yesterday, and back to "In Stock" today.

I'd love to be optimistic about having time this weekend, especially since my 13-month-old nephew will be along and they aren't staying with my girlfriend and I (thus requiring them to get back to the hotel earlier than later). However, the above-mentioned girlfriend may want some of my attention as well. Not a bad thing, mind you, but not necessarily conducive to exploring new software, either.

ChrisS
07-16-2003, 10:01 PM
I hear ya.

Well, it seems the way this is working is that the packages are coming in specific to the serial numbers. As they come in, they get shipped out.
Maybe yours has come in, but "In Stock" seems to be a bit of a misnomer.

Think I'll go relax with a nice root canal. :banghead:

takkun
07-16-2003, 10:06 PM
Just got a message from Newtek, mine's coming this Friday :)

ChrisS
07-17-2003, 02:53 PM
I talked to someone at NewTek yesterday (not specifically about the status of the orders per-se) and he mentioned something about shipments coming every two weeks.

Upon reflection, I wonder if that means that those of us who weren't among the lucky few who received their orders this week, will have to wait at least another two weeks before even hoping to see them.

Edited to add:
Over on the "Who wants.." thread Chuck said they're receiving shipments on a daily basis, so maybe there was a communication error somewhere.

Monty
07-17-2003, 04:04 PM
OK, got my DFX+ box delivered today. No sign of the LW[7.5] CD inside or out. What's up with that? :annoyed:

ChrisS
07-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Monty
OK, got my DFX+ box delivered today. No sign of the LW[7.5] CD inside or out. What's up with that? :annoyed:

That's certainly bogus.
Have you had a chance get a hold of someone and get things straightened out?

rnb2
07-17-2003, 09:58 PM
I hate to say it, but this is really starting to look like one of those Newtek ideas that sounded really great, but wasn't thought through well enough (or long enough), and is being implemented in a distressingly haphazard fashion. Not that I'm not grateful - I am (or, I will be when my *$#*@# package arrives).

Between the dongle/no dongle issue (and the attendant "Chuck said we could sell it if we didn't like it/need it" problem), the electronic upgrade/"no, it's in the box" upgrade, and the ongoing backorder situation, I will feel truly relieved when both DFX+ and 7.5 are installed and working properly.

Whenever that turns out to be...................

FYI, Safe Harbor still says "In Stock" when I check my order status, but I still haven't heard anything from them.

rnb2
07-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Well, according to Safe Harbor sales, Newtek is telling them that my package should be arriving at SH on the 22nd. So, if that's true, I *should* have it by next weekend.

Fingers are crossed!

ChrisS
07-18-2003, 09:19 PM
Good luck!
I really hope mine comes in before next weekend too!

need4speed
07-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Yes, good luck!....if your's is slated in by the 22nd, hopefully mine is too....I'm itching to try out DFX+!!!

Andrew

Monty
07-19-2003, 04:21 AM
Well, with SIGGRAPH just a few days away and LW[8] with it, do you think Newtek will skip distributing the [7.5] upgrades and go directly to distributing [8] CDs? :annoyed:

I want my LW[7.5] CDs.......

need4speed
07-19-2003, 04:52 AM
Well, I have my 7CD, so if they just want to send me a copy of LW8 on CD early rather than waiting for the download, I'm cool with that :thumbsup:

Andrew

takkun
07-19-2003, 06:06 AM
Just a heads-up, it seems that the first shipments of DFX+ came with a dongle but the copy I got today was dongle-less, which is a good thing. :) I just had to register it on their site and copy a license file to the DFX directory and it works. Now I'm off to check out the Courseware DVD.

preludian
07-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Hurra! I'm finally getting my DFX+ for the first seat on Monday, after one month of waiting...

ChrisS
07-21-2003, 02:07 PM
Well, with SIGGRAPH just a few days away and LW[8] with it, do you think Newtek will skip distributing the [7.5] upgrades and go directly to distributing [8] CDs? :annoyed:

I want my LW[7.5] CDs.......

Have you contacted anybody about the CDs yet?
Seeing as 8 isn't supposed to be released until the fourth quarter, that would be a pretty long wait. I purchased this as an upgrade to 7.5 with the free upgrade to 8, not vice-versa.

Just a heads-up, it seems that the first shipments of DFX+ came with a dongle but the copy I got today was dongle-less, which is a good thing. I just had to register it on their site and copy a license file to the DFX directory and it works. Now I'm off to check out the Courseware DVD.

Does it work on a computer seperate from LightWave? It had been suggested in other threads that the dongle-less versions of DFX+ were somehow tied to the LightWave dongle.

rnb2
07-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Well, finally got my notice yesterday that my upgrade has shipped.

Woo-hoo!

Should be here on Thursday - should be a fun weekend :)

ChrisS
07-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Yep! Mine too!:applause:
I'm actually not far from Safe Harbor, so I should (hopefully) see it today!

need4speed
07-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Well, apparently Safe Harbor forgot to email me about mine having already been shipped....doh!!!! The tracking said it is supposed to arrive today, they are emailing that to me as I type....hopefully so!!!! Woohoo!!!!

Cheers!
Andrew

ChrisS
07-23-2003, 05:06 PM
YeeHaw!!

Just got a call from home.
LightWave and DFX+ have arrived!:applause: :buttrock:

Man it's gonna be a long day! Five hours till quittin' time.:drool:

need4speed
07-23-2003, 05:24 PM
I still have 90 minutes before lunch.....then I get to go home and see if my DFX+ is there! Nice living 3 miles from where you work :buttrock:

Cheers!
Andrew

ub52
07-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Well, my copy of DFX+ just arrived via UPS. Whoo hoo!!! Now, later today sometime, my new Dell Inspiron 8500 is supposed to arrive. Damn, between waiting for UPS and Airborne Express I've been unable to sit still. Every time I hear a truck I'm running to the window to see if it's one of them.

-ub52

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.