PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 2D - FrozZT - Liv, Queen of Trees

FrozZT
03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Good luck to everyone! I'll get some sketches up soon.. I'm gonna have a slow start, working on some other stuff, but I'll try to finish strong!

-Niklas

Latest *UPDATE*
http://www.frostbrush.com/Final_Image_Niklas_Frostg%C3%A5rd.jpg

http://www.frostbrush.com/Text_image.jpghttp://www.frostbrush.com/Concept_Sheet.jpghttp://www.frostbrush.com/Model_Sheet.jpg

erik_j
03-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Hallå, FrozZT! good luck this year! let's have lots of fun!

Izuael
03-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Will there be a return of the shanto man!? :drool:

FrozZT
03-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Hey guys, Thanks for the welcome! :) Lets kick ass!

I put together some sketches I've done so far, here goes.. All Thoughts appriciated!

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Koncept_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

Crix Dorius
03-17-2009, 04:42 AM
I like that thing at lower left.

inqy
03-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Wow, great concepts. Can't wait to see more.

DimitrisT
03-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi, nice sketches, they all look very fragile, which is good 'cause then I will crush you without breaking a sweat.

*hytter med näven*

Izuael
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I like the loose look of this, if you're going for a non-warrior class I personally think the two left ones would work nice. If a warrior, absolutely the top right one. :buttrock:
Anyway, you will probably do more of these so I won't delve too much about it.

I should start too!

MartinNielsen
03-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Nice and clean sketches. I think the lower left one has good potential :)

Shagrath
03-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Very nice concept! I kinda like the one in the top right corner... reminds me a little of princess mononoke.

Dermont
03-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Very nice concept! I kinda like the one in the top right corner... reminds me a little of princess mononoke.

Hahaha yeah... I also like that one also.

FrozZT
03-18-2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks a lot guys! :)

Dimitris: Evil polyscums!! arrrr! :p

I like the top two, female and the beast, I might do the female and have the beast as a sidekick, pet/stead or maybe even a summoned forrest god :O. The idea about the female is some kind of forrest queen/mother, she gives birth on the battlefield to to small forrest creatures or spirits that aid her in battle.

I'm not 100% with this one yet but i think its becouse i havent developed it further, i originally had something like a forrestcreature in mind so i think i want something like that. I still want to make an attempt at a demon, but i dont quite feel like it, we'll see. Though i really like the beast, i wanna keep him somehow :/...

I'll try to get some stuff done tomorrow. Later..

-Niklas

Shagrath
03-18-2009, 08:39 AM
A steed sounds awesome, thought about that for my own project, but I'm not sure I'll be able to optimize the meshed and textures enough for it to look good...

hakanpersson
03-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey, nice start Niklas!
Not there yet perhaps, but I really like the initial design ideas, specially the girl to the left. The animal kind of thingy to her right has some really good potential too. Perhaps what you still is missing is some kind of twist to the armor design, I figure you like more fluent and less bulky design, but you might still need to try push for more weight and "bad-ass factor". At least in this contest;)

You ended up with a really nice final image last time, and this already starts stronger, so good luck:cool:

solblomma
03-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Looking really good. I will keep an eye on this thread!
I also like the guy in the lower left corner.

BR,

Nicklas

FrozZT
03-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Thanks guys :)

hakanpersson: Hey man, nice to see you here again! Yea i think im going for the girl, and the beast by her side as a stead or summon. Yea i know what you mean, ill try to do badass as much as i can without giving up what i do, i dont really want to think about what the judges want. I'll make sure to check your stuff out later ;), Good luck to you!

I've decided to go with the forrest queen for now, it was in those directions i wanted to go initially. I did som painting tonight of my concept, im gonna try to push the design further from this, its still to much like the original drawing. I made her thighs bigger, i want big very long legs and im gonna make the florals on her back and the hip extrutions larger. Here it is so far.. All thoughts welcome! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Koncept2_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

ChaosShannon
03-19-2009, 08:09 AM
like the start of your can not wait to see the end product!

MartinNielsen
03-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Very strong work so far :) The face expression fits the character very well.

nellement
03-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Wow my fave so far,beautyful shapes

Intervain
03-19-2009, 03:02 PM
beautiful and elegant - I really love this one!

Sellis
03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, awesome sketch you have here. Will she be an invoker or some kind? I'm already seeing how cool this could look in autumnal colors. Keep going, very nice.

PeterBraeley
03-19-2009, 03:56 PM
nice designs, loving the shapes...gonna keep an eye on this one!!

CharlesVarenne
03-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Hey FrozZT, looks nice. Get a nice design there. Looking forward to see more.

Stutts
03-19-2009, 04:48 PM
:thumbsup:AWESOME!!!:thumbsup: The Forest Queen is wicked!

FrozZT
03-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Wow, thanks for the great response! :)

Sellis: I'm not sure yet but im chosing from either clericon or invoker. Yeah autumn colors would be nice, you gave me something to think about ;)

Im pushing the last one further now, then im gonna work on the beast (her pet/summon), artifact and some of course some more work on her. Ill try to give an update tonight..

Thanks again! :)

-Niklas

FrozZT
03-20-2009, 02:44 AM
I've done some more work on the last concept.. Here it is, all thoughts welcome! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Koncept3_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

GaeasHerald
03-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Can't believe I've missed this one. Lovely odd critter you have here, very impressive.

facosta
03-20-2009, 03:22 AM
hey great job so far. I really like how you played and tweaked the proportions on this character. Nice Rendering as well. Keep it up!

Shagrath
03-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Looks awesome to me! Sure is a big step from all those other badass brutes, but that's just a good thing ;P Keep on it!

DTRAN
03-20-2009, 08:42 AM
my god! whats not to like about this one? i will be keeping a close eye on this one! :):)

Art2
03-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Love it.
Nice to see something elegant and feminine in the competition :)

Abrvpt
03-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Very nice design ! Something classy but yet disturbing. Some parts looks like the end of some flower petals, very good.

I'll keep an eye on you. ;)

inqy
03-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Ooh, I love the elongated neck and the tendrils. It's very insect-like, somehow. Can't wait to see more!

syrez-one
03-20-2009, 09:23 PM
the value and face are beautyful, will you stick with this one? or developed the other also? 'd be interesting, nothing to crit really, just minor: the material of the neck looks like its a bit hard, or stiff and that she couldn't face left or right.. looking forward to the pet! keep it up!

Zephyri
03-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the kind words on my thread, Niklas! Beautiful linework on those initial sketches! And the way the last concept is going, there's little to crit! The design is simple and elegant, yet not without a sense of the slightly unreal.. I almost expect her to fold out into some horrifically flesh-eating monstrosity! Which is quite a hard thing to achieve, so kudos for that! I really love the neck and head appendages, those rock.

Will you be exploring any of your other concepts to the same kind of standard?

Segvoia
03-21-2009, 04:28 AM
This is a strong concept because it's so different and your shading and highlights are beautifully done. Makes me excited about seeing the finished piece. Good luck ;)

Ferx
03-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Hey Niklas,

Really great start, like a lot the style on your sketches, and cool concept! :) All the best and cant wait to see more updates on your concept! Cheers! :beer:

FrozZT
03-21-2009, 03:17 PM
GaeasHerald, facosta, DTRAN, Art2, Abrvpt, ingy, Segvoia, Ferx, Thanks alot guys i really appriciate the support! :)

Shagrath: Tja! Missade att du va från gscept i de andra posterna.. :) Gick ju där innan hehe. E du också med i tävlingen lr? Tack så mycket för peppen! :)

syrez-one: Thanks for the support and feedback! Yea im gonna stick with this one, though i will develope the beast with the horns further, it's going to be her summon or pet. Currently working on him, hes bringing me some pain, having a hard time figuring his shapes out. Oh and about the stiffness of the neck, i want to keep some of that feel though i will probably make the leafy formations a bit softer, lighter and translucent. Thanks again.

Zephyri: Thank you, im glad you like it! :) As i mentioned to syrez, I will be developing the beast with the horns to serve as her summon/pet/sidekick. But im quite set on this as my concept right now..

Im curious what race she's looking to belong to? In my mind shes a norm, though i now realized she might be interpreted as a demon, though i think it could work either way depending on the coloring and later work.

-Niklas

Silkcats
03-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Awesome concept man! you have a great graphic style , her face is so lovely and you can almost feel the texture of her body, definitely one of my favourites ;)

Keep it up!

divij
03-21-2009, 05:05 PM
nice figures man....love the first one in black....beautiful....

GregStrangis
03-21-2009, 05:06 PM
She is beautiful man, can't wait to see which way you decide to push her, she would be a sexy Demon Princess. Hope her pet is as awesome as she is :buttrock:

birdman03
03-21-2009, 05:37 PM
really badass!~does she have a name?:thumbsup:

FrozZT
03-22-2009, 03:46 AM
Thanks again for the support, it's appriciated! :)

Birdman03: No she doesnt have a name yet, but I'll think of one while i work with her.. :) Thanks!

Ok i've been struggling alot with her companion, i love the sideview I did with the lines so i tried to give the same feel with a perspective view, turns out it was harder than i thought, still havent nailed it yet :/.. Just noticed the neck isnt as thick as it should, I'll fix that tomorrow... Here's what ive got so far. All thoughts welcome and appriciated.

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Koncept4_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

GaeasHerald
03-22-2009, 04:03 AM
Luving it already. So unique!
Like the horns/branches/roots on its head. Thought it might be cool if he had a foliage beard-underbelly and roots coming out his back. Kinda like a tree upside down.
Just an idea.

PeterBraeley
03-22-2009, 06:03 AM
wow looking strong there, loving the girl... can't wait to see more!!

Ohh thanks for the post!!

GO CGSOCIETY!!

ShogunWarrior
03-22-2009, 06:07 AM
good design i love it and good concept, keep it up, can't wait to see the finished product!

erik_j
03-22-2009, 03:29 PM
the lady is awesome!! :D and the bearish dude is cool too :U keep it up!

wenart
03-22-2009, 05:45 PM
lovely character design XD I love it :D, very elegant and unique XD

OKMER
03-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi Niklas.
Yep the last one, the neck a bit thin indeed.
Great rendering man!Love it.
Great start.
Have a great war buddy!

MR
03-22-2009, 10:48 PM
niklas- very unique :thumbsup:
great characters! there`s nothing else to say. keep going

Kharn-ivor
03-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey mate thanks for your comment :)

Very nice concept, very diffrent from most of the stuff round here, I wonder, what are you going to do about the feet/ legs ?

good luck with this piece its turning out very good :) :thumbsup:

K

nellement
03-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Really great,I like the pet maybe make his beard swirly like on the lady's head back part,saw your site and awesome style you have!

FrozZT
03-23-2009, 02:05 AM
PeterBraeley, ShogunWarrior, erik_j, wenart, OKMER, Mraaflaub, thanks guys, it means a lot! :) I'll try to check your threads out as soon as possible.

GaealHerald: Yea thats definately a cool idea.. I'll keep that in mind while i work on the beast. :) Thanks!

Kharn-ivor: Thanks a bunch! Im gonna give her some very long legs, possibly add a tree-like feel to them.

nellement: Thanks man! Yea i dont like his beard in that render, I'll definately work on that.. Im glad you like my stuff man, really! :)

I've been doing some small creatures and stuff and ive come up with some new stuff for my character.

First off, she's going to be an invoker. She has cretaures litterally up her ass :O, yea i know that sound absurd but she has an insektlike behind that looks like one of those mushrooms that comes out from trees. in the surface faceing down there is small openings like a beehive. inside there lives small creatures that lives in symbiosis with her, as she is an invoker she has the power to controll them and make them attack her foes. She also gives birth at will to floating "soul carriers" (nr 5 in the image) which she can also control if she'd like.. Normally these would like sperm float through the air until it hits ground and then eject its soul into the ground, from there it grow into a tree with a soul. This is where she's been born once, her kind starts out as tree but with a soul much more like a human one and then over long periods of time starts to look more like an ent, but they are not, later they become more like humans and starts to wander around. Anyway, she can chose to manipulate her newborn soulcarriers to eject their soul into her enemies making the tree grow instantly from the inside out of them. Once the soulcarrier has ejected its soul into whatever it falls to the ground lifeless.

Here is the image of the "Soulcarrier" nr 5 and some of the creatuers ive done, 1 and 2 i think is close to what im looking for as the creatures inhabiting her bum! :)
All thought very welcome and appriciated! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Koncept5_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

Shagrath
03-23-2009, 03:10 AM
I really like where this whole thing is going. I think the kind of depth you're creating really gives the character a lot of boost and credibility.

About the sidekick, beast guy. How about instead of giving him a doglike nose, switching it to something more like a muzzle of a horse or something similar? I think he lost some of that mystical appearance with the new nose... Looks a bit too goofy to be honest. But I really liked the early drawing!

Och ja, är från GSCEPT ;P Går första året nu, men jag tror vi träffades som hastigast när jag var och hälsade på förra slutredovisningarna förra året. Våldgästade Olle och kollade lite vad ni höll på med eftersom jag skulle söka in... Vill minnas att du höll på med förra årets dw-bidrag då. Kommer ihåg att Olle målade dit nåt opassande i de nedre regionerna på den där stalkern ... :D
Hanyways. Ställer också upp i DW (3D) men jag "tävlar" för Polycount i år (inte Dimitris fel) ^^. Men lycka till i alla fall ;P

ersinerturk
03-23-2009, 07:09 AM
you have a very extraordinary style. i guess at the end of this we're going to see the most surreal war character here. your concept is one of my favourites. keep it coming!

Izuael
03-23-2009, 02:55 PM
So cute little buggers!
1) I really like this one. Looks cute, dumb and a bit mischievous. :)
2) This reminds perhaps a bit too much about the SC2 zergling? I like it though.
3) This one is so abstract! I like the naval cord and the floppy limbs, like a baby version of your main character.
4) This one feels like an airborne version of #1. I love that big mouth with lots and lots of pointy teeth.
5) :thumbsup:
6) I like the deep sea fish look of this one, the legs make it look a bit goofy though. :p

My favourite is definitely #1, but maybe move away from the zergling look it has in #2. Maybe it can have a crazed (or funny) expression in his face instead, when hungry.

Rock on! :buttrock:

aelwine
03-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I really like 3 and 5, after reading your story I feel like they really fit the image of floating spore like creatures. They look more like seeds and a bit less self conscious. More likely to be directed by your main character.
I also like no4 for the same kind of reasons but it seems like he has more a mid of it's own.

Segvoia
03-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Oh my gosh, when you explained where the little guys were coming from on her body I couldn't help but think a really bad thought LOL, but this is cool. I really think the little larva beasties (and their back story) will sperate you from the pack, it's more common to have a human-like character paired with a hulking familiar or large pet. Looking good!

FrozZT
03-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Shagrath: Tja! Actually I'm trying to recreate also the nose from the sideview.. Ive done some adjustments, i dont know if theres the same goofyness to it? Cool, yea i remember i met you in our classroom right? How are you liking it up there? I'll try to find your entry later! ;) Thanks m8!

ersinerturk: Thanks man it means alot to me! :)

Izuael: Yea i agree with you, I'll probably start working on some new versions of them soon, yea i like nr 1 to but its a bit to goofy/funny, doesn not really match the direction im going, maybe it'll fit to contrast it with something like that, nah i dont know.. I'll just try some new designs. I do want something very agressive looking i think. Thanks alot for your thoughts m8, always appriciated! ;)

aelwin: yea definately, nr 3 and 5 are those most fit as "soulcarriers" and i picked 5. The other creatures are a totally different thing, living up her bum! :p Thanks for your thoughts! :)

Segvoia: Haha, it wont be that bad i promise! :p Thanks alot!

Now I've done some more work and corrections to her companion/summon. I'm pretty set on him being her summon-like guardian. I think this version is more like the original, the other one was more like a female equivalent of him i think. Its not perfect yet but its much better than last one, next I'll probably work on his body some. Ok here goes, As always all thought welcome and appriciated. :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Koncept6_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

namnocilis
03-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Nice Rendering and a Great concept! Forest queen is awesome.. i opened this thread a couple of times before but couldn't really understand what was happening until i read the 53rd post mentioning about the soul carriers and all which gave me a much clear picture.. i dig the concept man.. very original! also that Not Hungry.. Hungry part is cool! XD

i also liked that sketch 5 of soul carrier, looks simple but something very mysterious about it..

looking foward for the updates..

GregStrangis
03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Hey Frost, I love how her pet looks, his nose tho looks like it got punched in by an ogre :D
This concept as a whole is solid and will look awesome when you start to color it. Btw what kind of brush's do you use in Photoshop?? Would love to here your process about how you do your sketches.

NH
03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Awesome awesome. Stunnig design and rendering, I love it .
Keep it up ! :arteest:

FrozZT
03-24-2009, 08:56 PM
namnocilis: Thanks, im glad its appriciated. Yea everything is coming together for me aswell as i work with it. I'll probably continue to come up with stuff after its done even..

GregStrangis: Hey man, Thanks. yea his nose is funky, i like it though.. :p For the first line sketch i used paper and pencil, and for the digital ones in this thread ive used a hard round brush in photoshop (the standard PS brush) with pressure set to opacity. I dont know how to explain the rest in short. I always work differently depending on what i want to do.. For the sketches in this thread i start out playing with some shapes and just let the brush move by itself, unless im aiming for maybe recreating one of the designs more exactly, then im more strict. When im doing something new i dont start out with alot of values, just use maybe a darker value on a lighter background and try to get some nice shapes to work with, then as i find stuff i like i work more with volumes and developing what i have, but not focusing on rendering. When i have something gone along way i start rendering by doing some extra details and changing things im not sure about and at the same time i think more about the lighting. I guess that doesnt say very much about how actually looks as im doing it :/. But dont get hung up on how others do stuff, do it your own way, the most important thing is to know what you want and what you dont want and be able to see the qualitys and what doesnt work. Training your eye is more important then training your hand.

NH: Thanks man, glad you like it! ;)

I've done some variations for body types of the beast. Im liking 5, but i do see it need work, its not unified into a whole yet. Im thinking that he is a forrestgod that has some similar features as hers, Half tree half something else. He is her guardian. Im thinking that maybe she was a human being once in time and that he gave some of himself to her and she became fused into a tree, and from there her species started growing. I dont know, the story isnt very clear yet, but its starting to unfold.. Anyway, here is some bodytypes for the beast.. Not how imagined them from the beginning but... All thoughts more than welcome! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Koncept7_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

Zephyri
03-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Looking brilliant thus far! I adore the designs of the little guys that will be inhabiting her butt, especially the little toothy fella, kind of has a Hellbboy II tooth fairy vibe about him, he's awesome.

Not totally sold on the face of the pet... though i love the body design in 5. I think it might be the squared off nature of the face that's not selling it for me.. the little creatures and your demoness have a odd sense of creepiness in them that's kind of lacking in the pet's face. Maybe just a hint of more muscle/bone structure in the muzzle and lower jaw might help? Just something to break up the smooth flowiness of the square shape a little.

rhemrev
03-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Really nice stuff sofar man!

On the woman: I really like how organic she looks, as if she's partly made of fluids or something! The face does look a bit to normal though, and doesn't seem to fit her body yet stylistically.....maybe lenghten her face a bit and alienate it a bit more (without loosing her beauty)?

On the pet: Again, very cool directions, the idea that sprung to mind was her being the fluid and the pet being a fishy thing living inside her...but that's just me...:S

Good stuff, i'll be checking back soon! :)

-Edwin

nellement
03-25-2009, 01:44 AM
5 fits well

Stutts
03-25-2009, 02:55 AM
I agree 5 rocks!

FrozZT
03-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Zephyri: Yea i know i kind of got reminded by the tooth fairys myself, they are cool, but i'd rather do something that can be accepted for what it is instead of taking everyones thoughts to another creation that already exists.. I do think i need something with wings, so they can fly to the ground from her(maybe the are jumpers :O), at least short distances, maybe some kind of shell around the wings like a beetle, i dont know.. Adn i want them to be able to look agressive and dangerous, I hope i can find something that's good and bit unique.. :/ Actually i have been thinking all along that she's a norm, i guess thats not totally apparant with the current values and no color.. I'm gonna try to erase all doubt of that with my coloring, but i still want her to have a bit of a feeling like a witch or something. None the less i agree with you on the beast, i do love the sideview.. I dont know if you like that one or if you just dont like the design, but the perspective render isnt there yet, and yes just like yo usay it needs to show some bonestructure and not just smooth furr. Thank you so much for your helpfull thoughts! Its very appriciated! :)

rhemrev: Yea i'll definateley think about it as i proceed, the values and rendering does separate the face a bit also, i do want it to stand out but still look like it belong on the body. Thank you! :)

nellement, Stutts: Thanks guys, glad you like nr5, thats my fav. I'm working on it right now...

I'll give an update later today. Keep the crits coming.. It's appriciated! :)

-Niklas

BaronImpossible
03-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Nice work. I like the simplicity of No. 2 but for this competition you'd be better off going for something more elaborate, maybe No. 5

g3p
03-25-2009, 02:59 PM
yo man, i love your render and all wip!
cool draws can't wait for finish image!

Xillion
03-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Brilliant sketches. The woman thingy is ubercool.

superdbdb
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
o god! awesome man!

aeonseraph
03-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi there,

Awesome concepts you got here, and the overal quality of your works is really impressive.
I'm looking orward to see the end result of this.
Keep up the good work, :beer:
And wish U Good luck in your creative process! :arteest:

Armand

Ferx
03-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Hey Niklas,

Really cool summon monster !! and the bugs are really great!! Very cool that you mantain the same style on the whole concept. Think the big hands on the beast is a great touch. Cant wait to see more :D Cheers mate!! :beer:

Kharn-ivor
03-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeha i agree with the general feeling that no5 is kool ^^ You could even have the tendril/tentacles be linked to her so they are as one. Nice work mate :)

FrozZT
03-26-2009, 12:38 AM
BaronImpossible, g3p, Xillion, superdbdb, aeonseraph, Ferx, Kharn-ivor, Thanks alot guys, sounds like its a unanimous decision :).. 5 it is...

I've done more work on nr 5.. Here it is! As always i welcome your thoughts on my work! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Koncept8_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

Izuael
03-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Awesome man, like I said to you earlier I also liked #5. It looks very proud. :)
Really like the swirly patterns on his back leg, there's a nice flow running through him.

:buttrock:

FrozZT
03-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Izuael: Thanks m8! Looking forward to some more stuff from you! :)

I did another variation of those creatures living inside her.. I dont know, i like alot about it, but i dont feel 100% about it yet.. All thoughts welcome! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Koncept9_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

GregStrangis
03-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Thats sick! His head reminds me of a chameleon along with his tongue. Not sure about the body tho hmmm, btw the Symbiot piece on your website is awesome, love your style of rendering characters out!

daelon
03-26-2009, 11:51 PM
BaronImpossible, g3p, Xillion, superdbdb, aeonseraph, Ferx, Kharn-ivor, Thanks alot guys, sounds like its a unanimous decision :).. 5 it is...

I've done more work on nr 5.. Here it is! As always i welcome your thoughts on my work! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Koncept8_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

wow, so interesting and creative, reminds me to the ents in tlotr or some fantasy creatures, seems a great start! :thumbsup:

cylstudio81
03-27-2009, 04:52 AM
Hi Frozzt, really inspiring concepts, likes the style too, keep it up, looking forward to your progress ;)

namnocilis
03-27-2009, 08:28 AM
nr5 is coming out very nicely :thumbsup: he looks huge! i liked the idea of hand being much longer than the legs for nr5.

about the new design of the creature living inside her body.. it reminds me more of those creatures from the movie THE MIST. somehow i still love that 5th design in that set of creature living inside, may be you can have both of them coming out together.. Great Going! :buttrock:

didom
03-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Excellent concept. I really like the rendering of your works.

I like the idea of parasites or creatures living inside her but I think that the head of this creature should be single out so it could be more distinctive.
I like more the first versions 1 and 4 I mean.
Great work!

nellement
03-27-2009, 12:35 PM
wow I really like the last creature it looks meaner than the previous one great job :buttrock:

Intervain
03-27-2009, 01:20 PM
beautiful work so far, really refreshing :)

MrRico
03-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi Niklas,
I like how you are approaching your design process, it seems to me a lot more appealing as would be natural that a character evolves and decide by itself which class is going to belong to
Great work!
Best

Ricardo Contreras
-----------------
My DWIV thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746170)

FrozZT
03-27-2009, 09:08 PM
cylstudio81: Thanks alot man, that means a lot to me! :)

namnocilis: Hey, thanks! Yea thats the idea actually, the 5th(spermthingy or "soulcarriers") was a being of its own, She gives birth to those soulcarriers which in its turn can eject couls which grows into a tree, yea sounds a bit complicated i know. And those other insect like creatures are living inside of here rear(works like a nest for them, you'll see ;) ), they live in symbiosis with her but she doesnt give birth to them. Hope thats clears it up a bit! :) Thanks again!

didom: Hi! Thank you for your thoughts! ok so you like 1 and 4 from the previsou batch better, the problem with most in the first batch i think was they looked to goofy and a bit funny, i want it to be agressive. Maybe i need to do somekind of blend between the last one and those in the batch. I'll see what i can come up with. Thanks m8! :)

nellement: Thanks man, thats really what i was aiming for. ;)

Intervain: Thank you! :)

MrRico: Hey! Yea i dont want to decide everything before i go to work, the moment i take away some creativity from the process, i lose inspiration. I want to keep developing the design while i do modelsheet aswell so i dont lose interest. Thanks alot for your comment! :)

I know i wrote that i was gonna have a slow start , turns out i didnt and instead I'm gonna take a pause in a day or two for maybe 2-3 weeks. I need to do some paintings for another project im working on.
I've now started on the modelsheet, side/front/back view.. I want to get most of the stuff done so i can start with the final image as soon as i can since im gonna lose 3 weeks. Anyway, I'll try to get something up before i start working on my other paints.. Thanks everyone for the wonderful support shown, it helps me alot and keeps me motivated! :) Keep up the good work everyone!! Kick ass!

-Niklas

GaeasHerald
03-28-2009, 04:08 AM
So glad you took this direction with the character, cause it doesn't resemble anything I've seen before. I'd like to see it next to the other character to see how big it really is.

Good luck with your other paintings!

Hatonacat
03-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Nice man! I am liking these. It reminds me of the forest spirit from the movie Princess Mononoke.

Keep it up! :D

Silkcats
03-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Man your characters are really really beautiful, I can wait to see a sketch of the final composition with all of them inside ;)

Cheers!! :beer:

facosta
03-30-2009, 03:08 AM
nice update Niklas,

I really like the legs on these characters. Specially the paws on that furry creature. The roots growing out of his back makes for a really cool silhouette. Keep it up man!!

Sepulverture
03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey FrozZT.

I like the furry tree thingy. It's a badass design I think, except a couple things...

First and foremost. I think the face looks way to ... cute ... to be put into this design.

Overall I think the design itself is fairly creepy, and I think that a cute head would add to the creepy factor a lot, but if done right.

As is, the head on this thing feels like it belongs on one of those fluffy sheep dogs. Not a good mix with the body it's sitting on.

Good rendering though, forms are reading great.

adib
03-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Very nice concepts,the last one is the best!:)

FrozZT
03-31-2009, 03:03 AM
GaeasHerald, Hatonacat, Silkcats, facosta, adib, Thank you guys so much for the support! Its very much appriciated! I'll try to get back to everyones threads, right now i'm a bit stressed so it might take a little while, but i'll check everyones stuff out when i get time for it... ;)

Sepulverture: Yea i get what you mean, I do like the head design very much but im not sure its quite there yet.. I kind of like how it sticks out a bit though, but i agree that its a bit too cute, especially in the close up paint. Thanks for you thoughts m8! ;)

Here's what I've got so far on my sideview. Its not far from finished but might need some tightening up.. Anyway, here it is, all thoughts welcome and appriciated!

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Modelsheet_side.jpg

patdunal
03-31-2009, 03:25 AM
Your style is really distinct. I can't wait to see how this progresses!

nellement
03-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Nice that you've chosen those long legs makes it more interesting

Izuael
03-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Very nice. :)
If you squint your eyes it looks like a gracious tree. Her 'pelvis' feels like the seed which she originally sprouted from. I'm going to refrain from commenting her 'genitals', let's just say you're brave to add something like that. :D
I think her knee could be something else then a stump, I just relate that to a wound / scar (like on trees, a cut off branch f.e.)

Keep it up! :buttrock:

Sepulverture
04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Very nice. Love the stylized approach to this character.

It's a little confusing though. It feels too flat to me somehow.

Cool sketch regardless. Can't wait to see where you take it.

FrozZT
04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
patdunal: thanks! glad you appriciate it.. :)

nellement: Yea i wanted to give her a slight feel of a tree.. Thanks! :)

Izuael: Ill definately think of another solution for the knee, i dunno, i might do something else with her other leg.. No real comment on her genitals yet, maybe people are afraid to haha.. Thanks m8! :)

Sepulverture: i dont know if you refer to the rendering or the composition of the forms.. The rendering is not pushed very far in this one, if i have time i'll probably push it more later, but i'd rather take some extra time with my final. Thank you! :)

I've finally started working on my paints, i'll be back working on the modelsheet and the final on the 16th.. Keep up the great work everyone!!

-Niklas

conor
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
This design keeps getting better and better. Great idea and a good control of value. Can't wait to see what else you are caming up with.

namnocilis
04-04-2009, 07:35 PM
It's getting better and better.. love the progress! Great going!

Locusta
04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Just beautyfull. Very alive and with an own mood. Kind of sad too, what fits perfectly, I would say.

I love your drawing style. You got alot of character in the strokes. Keep it going. That one will be an outstanding piece, I´m sure.

BaronImpossible
04-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Very original concept, I like it. Maybe the head / skull area is a little flat at present, and also the feet look too much like stilettos, but those are minor points. Good job, keep it up!

DeadInTheAttic
04-04-2009, 10:30 PM
One part of me feels disturbed while looking at your sketches, the other part kneels at your feet. Your style looks very unique.
Just a little bit too static, I think.

FrozZT
04-05-2009, 10:24 PM
conor, namnocilis, Locusta, Thanks for the encouragement guys! :)

BaronImpossible: Thanks man, im glad you think its original, it means much to me that it is. Yea i think there's something in the sideview about the forhead that isn'nt quite there yet, I like it more as it is in the initial pencil sketch, I'll see what i do about it. And i agree about the feet, i saw it right away when i painted it and tried to hide that feeling while still keeping the shape's as much as i could. I guess i need to work away from it a little bit more.. Good points! Thank you! :)

DeadInTheAttic: Thanks! Yea i kind of like giving mixed messages, makes it more interesting i think. A little bit creepyness mixed with her being motherly.. I dont know what you mean by static, maybe its just the concept/modelsheet stage, I'll definately give it some motion in the final ;)..

-Niklas

GregStrangis
04-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Missed your last update man, she is stunning! I was watching The Fountain and she comes to mind, Beautiful

DanielCortes
04-07-2009, 01:13 AM
beautiful work, is all I have to say for now. Both characters stand strong alone and if you keep the same pace you'll come up with something outstanding. Good brush work!

syrez-one
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
heya! cool updates, the sideview looks good and very useful if i'd have to model it .. something i worry about at my stuff, if i can make it useful.. so good work!

the pet suits it also very well.. both have a heartbound feeling to it. very mystical and magical aside.. keep it up!

FrozZT
04-08-2009, 01:07 AM
GregStrangis: Thanks! I definately have to look that one up! :)

live2contage: Thanks! Yea i hope to get back to this sometime after the 16th, working on some other stuff now..

syrez-one: Thanks man.. I really dont know everything about how to optimize the modelsheet for modellers, any tips is appriciated!

I'm fixed on finishing the first paint for that exhibition tonight, i think im gonna make it.. I need to make it so that i dont feel guilty for going fishing with my friends tomorrow! ^^ Thanks again for the support guys, it's appriciated..

-Niklas

DefiledVisions
04-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Don't really know what to say. Your concept is.. stunning. I am really looking forward to where you bring this.
Will have something more constructive to say soon, but for now, I am but a humble observer.. enjoying the surreal beauty you have here.

And thanks for dropping by my thread.. will try to have something soon!
Ser verkligen frammemot att få kämpa vid din sida ännu en gång :D

cheers!
-Mulle

DimitrisT
04-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Kind of reminds me of something like this:

Happy, happy... (http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/DimitrisT/Trash/neverending01.jpg)

It looks as if it's more easily crushed than Sir Prancelot on a Parakeet. So that's good!

rawwad
04-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Very nice concept friend:thumbsup: The girl looks great to me, love style and decent shapes. Don´t know your background story, I missed start, but like idea how is character mixed with some insect parts obviously. Keep up, and good luck!

FrozZT
04-12-2009, 01:43 PM
DefiledVisions: Oi m8! :) Thanks for dropping by, glad you like it! Lets kick some ass!

DimitrisT: Oh no you didnt! :p I've been looking but I'm still curious of what is gonna crush me? You talk the talk but can you walk the walk!? :O

rawwad: Thanks man! Im glad you like it! Hopefully I'll pull of the final..

I'm a couple of days away from the exhibition still some paints to finish.. Stress! I've been posting some progress at my sketchbook, check it out > HERE (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132900&page=3) < if you are interested! I hope to be back kicking my character further soon! Keep it up guys!

-Niklas

ario
04-14-2009, 09:24 AM
wow!
Nice sketchs. I just can say : Good luck my friend.

My DWIV Entry:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5795465#post5795465

Regards:
Alireza

FrozZT
04-17-2009, 11:35 AM
ario: Thanks man! :)

I'm finally finished with my paints and i spent the whole day yesterday to fix everything with the exhibition, it's all done! :) I'm totally exhausted so I'm probably gonna take a few days rest, then I'm right back doing DW with you guys!

I'm gonna try to take some time to check on other people's thread's, I've been way to stressed finishing stuff for the exhibition.

Later..

-Niklas

CharlesVarenne
04-17-2009, 01:10 PM
really nice work and design. Can't wait to see the final color stage and comp.

DefiledVisions
04-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Great to hear about your paintings man! will have to drop by one day and check em out ;) also nice to hear you're back on track... just chill and take it easy, and then let's win this war! haha.

MR
04-22-2009, 12:47 AM
It`s about time to put this threat back to the front page.... but where are the updates..... I`m looking forward to seeing more...
-forest creatures rules-:beer:

FrozZT
04-22-2009, 01:14 PM
CharlesVarenne: Thanks man, I'll try to get started with it as soon as possible.

DefiledVisions: Thanks m8! Yea I've been takin it easy now for a while, but now I'm on it! :) Back in attack mode!

MR: Yeah! Thanks man.. :) Here you go m8.. ;)

I've picked up work again where i left it, at the modelsheet. I think I'll get about 2 weeks to finish the final illustration, might be alright. Here's the front view, Not quite finished but almost there. All thoughts welcome and appriciated! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Modelsheet_front.jpg

MrRico
04-22-2009, 02:27 PM
HI Niklas, nice update. I like very much the softness of the contrast in your design.
Best

Ricardo
---------
my DWIV entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746170)

Stutts
04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
YAY!!!:bounce: FrozZT is back! Lookin good man!:buttrock:

FrozZT
04-23-2009, 03:37 AM
MrRico: Thank you!

Stutts: Yeah! Going away again over the weekend unfortunately :/ but I'll be back on sunday again..

I'll try to check some of your guys stuff out when i get back.. All this stress has been tiring. I hope i get something really good done for the final illu, so i can relax and feel good when its all done. I've stressed together a layout for the modelsheet.. It needs some work. I just want to start with the final, orthos sucks. Here it is.. All thoughts very welcome! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Modelsheet_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

Sepulverture
04-23-2009, 04:31 AM
looking good man!

The orthos are good, but I'm just worried if they're a bit too dark, and not relaying all the information clearly.

GaeasHerald
04-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Excellent Niklas, I've been dying to see the modeling sheet for this character, she looks great. Are you going to include the pet in the modeling sheet?

All the best!

erik_j
04-23-2009, 03:40 PM
wow! totally kickass! the style is so cool! like... dune movie:ish but also totally different :D really original as always :)

DefiledVisions
04-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Sweet updates man! cant wait to see you start rendering the final illustration!

FrozZT
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Sepulverture: Thanks man! You might be right, i forget that my monitor is quite bright.. I'll make some adjustments before handing it in ;).

GaeasHerald: Thanks! I dont know if I'll include him :/, actually I'd rather not but i heard that you might need to in the FAQ..

erik_j: :D Thanks man! Gonna try to push it haaard for the final.. :)

DefiledVisions: Thanks m8! Final sketches coming up ;)..

I'm home now! I've got this kick ass vision(i hope) for my final, I'm only afraid its beyond my skill at the moment, I'm gonna try to push myself to the edge this time.. 2 weeks to go.. Time to kick some freakin ass!

-Niklas

FrozZT
04-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Here's the composition i've been working on, obviously the character isnt in there yet.. Its very rough right now, I'm gonna push this one really far.. All thoughts very much welcome! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/final_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

FrozZT
04-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Still working the composition.. Trying to pose the main character roughly. I'd love to hear any thoughts on this! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/final_2b_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

yakonusuke
04-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Hey frozzt,
really cool concept! I like your characters a lot.

i think the character doesn't get enough attention and is placed a bit to far to the right side.
Cheers!

ario
04-29-2009, 05:26 AM
I keep watching! and Just can't wait to see the completed illustration.

Cheers:
Alireza

FrozZT
04-29-2009, 10:18 PM
yakonusuke: Thanks man! I get what you mean, but right now I've built the intire composition on her being at least in that area. I guess i could try to pull her just a little bit toward sthe middle.. we'll see.. I'll try to use the light and some colors to make her eye catching! Let's hope it works. :p

ario: Thanks man, starting to get a bit stressed though. I really want to pull it of in a satisfying manner... :/

I've slowed down some.. :/ Tomorrow at lunch I'll head for the park and drink some beer with friends, its a big holiday here in sweden. Hopefully I'll get inspired and pumped up when i get home! :) Still any thoughts much appriciated!!

-Niklas

BaronImpossible
04-29-2009, 10:27 PM
I like the towering trees and the overall composition although IMO I'd advise against putting too much detail in the corner.

ario
04-30-2009, 03:52 AM
Happy holiday Niklas! I wait for the next update after a big inspiring day! ;) :D
Cheers:
Alireza

GaeasHerald
04-30-2009, 05:02 AM
Hi FrozZT, I like the overall composition, but I agree with yakonusuke that she could have more presence in the image. Maybe it's just a matter of cropping the image down or making her bigger. I absolutely love the concept of the forest overrunning an urban area, with new trees sprouting off the ground at her command and cracking the cement. Still, you have to give the character a bit more visual weight, to go with the spirit of this character-oriented challenge. ;)

I may be wrong, but from what I've seen from previous DWs, all the top entries have a strong focus on the character rather than the overall scene. It's a pitty really, but there's little we can do about it. :hmm:

Cheers my friend! Keep up the good work!

Silkcats
04-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi FrozZT,

I love the dark spot of the forest behind her, it really makes you want to go inside.
BTW, what happend to the other creatures? Are you still including them?

Cheers!!

FrozZT
05-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Baron Imporrible: Thanks. yea i get what you mean. I'll keep it in mind, but right now i have this vision i must work against first, if it doesnt work out in the end i'll adjust it. ;)

ario: Thanks man! We'll se how it goes, I'll probably post something tonight..

GaeasHerald: Thank m8! Yea i will make sure she gets the attention she needs ;). At first I'll try playing with the lighting and colors to make her pop. I might change her position/size slightly but right now im gonna stay true to my vision.

Silkcats: Hey, Thanks! Yea I definately want to include the other designs, if they find a place to fit in. I'm definately gonna use the spermlike "soulcarriers" I'm gonna show that she's just given birth to a bunch of them.. Her guardian will probably burst out from the trees to the left, and the small aggressive guys im not sure about yet.. We'll see what happens..

Thanks for the support guys! Its very much needed trying to pull this shit together. The end is always just hard work.. Keep it up everyone! :)

-Niklas

Stutts
05-01-2009, 03:00 PM
love the composition man and if it comes out like you have described it will be sick! :buttrock: keep it up man!

FrozZT
05-02-2009, 01:46 AM
Stutts: Hey thanks man, yea i hope i pull it together in the end! Thanks for the support!

Ok here's another update.. I'm gonna work with alot more color on her, she's not close to how i want her really. Added some mist, i love doing weird smokepuffs so i just had to!!! :D All thoughts very much welcome and appriciated! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/final_3_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

ario
05-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey Niklas! I love the way you color your illustration. Keep up the good work.
Cheers:
Alireza

Alekzsander
05-02-2009, 07:09 PM
hi FrozZT your creature looks interesting but the composition seems very strange ,maybe you must move your model in middle .

Good luck

FrozZT
05-03-2009, 02:14 AM
ario: Thanks man! :)

Alekzsander: Thank you! Yea i know the character should be center of attention.. And i plan on making her the focus of the image. An easy way would be to put it in the middle like you say and skip the rest of the image, but i really want to make an image i like and not just a presentation of what I've already created.

I've done some more work on the main character and will keep pushing it further, some more color has been put into her figure. I had a bit of an inspiration block for a while today.. I hope it will pass so i can finish this the way I'd like. Anyway, here she is again. All thoughts very much welcome and appriciated! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/final_4_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

Abrvpt
05-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Excellent job dude, keep up ! ;)

Izuael
05-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi mate,
Haven't replied here for a long time, been really busy.
I can see that things are coming along nicely here.

But, to be honest I feel that your final image could be more grand, when I first saw your sketches on the small critters living in her behind I imagined how it would look like on the battlefield. How she would walk calmly through a battlefield of robots, demons and what not and just own them, one by one (something like the battlefields in return of the king). As it is now, it looks like she's taking an evening stroll through Sweden. I just feel... is that it?
Don't get me wrong, technically it's very nice but I wanna see her mess shit up!

Other than that, keep it up, it looks like you'll finish another Dominance War. :thumbsup:

DanielCortes
05-03-2009, 05:28 PM
You stuff is looks real nice, I enjoy the colors and general atmosphere, this will stick out a lot from most entries, and the concept is interesting as well, blowing brains out…nice :surprised . I did have question about the ties, I know it adds and interesting visual, but do you think people will still be using them 1000 years from now? (I sure hope not) just a pointless observation.
On the other hand I do agree with Mikael, that a battle scene could be more appealing for most people, I guess it just depends on what you want, or if you will satisfy the populous with what they always want. Your probably real out of time (me 2 :cry: ), so if you stick to this one makes total sense to me, especially if this is what you like. Keep it up :beer:

FrozZT
05-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Abrvpt: Thank you! :) I'll try ;)

Izuael: Hey m8! Yea i guess you are right.. I tried to think about a scene like that at first, but couldnt come up with something that appealed to me. But this one did somehow, of course its not finished yet so i'll definately try to put some more action in there.. Right now im not happy with it at all :/. Gonna try to pull myself together! :p Thanks alot, I appriciate it! ;)

live2contage: Thanks man! :) I had a thought that its an obsessed city, it could be from a totally different time.. Our time maybe? But either way I didint enterpret the story like it connects to the realworlds time.. Never mind, i just dig them so they are staying! :p I'll try to put something impressive together..

-Niklas

Stutts
05-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Really diggin the colors man. I love the yellow coming off of her head!

FrozZT
05-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Stutts: Thanks for the support man! ;)

I've been reworking some proportions and painted some more on her figure.. I really hope there's an extension for a couple of days or so, I need it!! :O All thoughts welcome and appriciated! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/final_5_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

FrozZT
05-06-2009, 03:35 AM
Played some more with the compo, put in the guardian, dunno, lots more to do..

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/final_6_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

syrez-one
05-07-2009, 09:38 AM
hey Niklas, nice progress!

i like the way the illu is painted, but if i'm honest i got problems with the compositions the light background and the figures on the left, make my eye fastly go there not onto your main character.. its very dark, i barely see it..

i'd suggest you try make a drastic approach and paint completly over everything, or start a new comp, with elements from this one.. thats something i heard very often from my teacher now and then, if somethings not right, take what you learned and make a new one, fresh start, its so hard, letting go of what you've put alot of effort in.. but it could give you new ideas and make you prolly do much faster..

but don't get me wrong, its already a very good paint and colors, blending are well too.. but i'll guess with a fresh start, you could do way better, more balanced .. :) keep it up, and i hope i'm not to rude.. just trying to give a constructive suggestion , to make your piece even better :) *thumbsup!*

MrRico
05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi Niklas,
I really like the way you are working with the shades in the main character, really beautiful. Although, I think there is a kind of lack of balance in the composition, This maybe is your method or approach to the whole painting, which in this sense could be good. My comment comes just because I remember that I use to approach my paintings getting too much attention to some parts instead of others, even when teachers used to tell me to work in the whole gradually I liked to do it in my own way. Well I don't know why one day I constrained myself of working in the whole step by step and I realized that I was easier to achieve what I had in my head.
Well i hope I didn't bore you with the little story and somehow was useful.
Best
Ricardo
my DWIV W.I.P. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746170)

syrez-one
05-07-2009, 10:54 PM
poor me, i just found out that after firefox update, it had deactivated the color management, so this was the reason everything went so dark..

my bad . i'm so sorry.. i still have little issues, with the left side, dunno why, maybe the other characters on the left corner side.

but my feeling is way more balanced with managed color then before.. i'm still ashamed, :(

Izuael
05-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Nice mate, adding the guardian in the background (and it's huge!) added some much needed action in the picture. All the white mist though kind of drags all the attention from the queen, she blends in with the forest, almost disappears. Which is a shame since she is the important part.

Are we going to see the little critters as well? Would be cool with them just flowing from her and on to the battlefield, like in this one (http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/wallpapers/2/3_w_muppet_1600x1200.jpg) from DW3, for example.

She kind of reminds me of the Groke from the Moomin's :applause: I think I mentioned it before, but your queen is the opposite in that she spreads life instead. Maybe incorporate that in your image even more, maybe she's touching something "evil" and it has started to grow plants from it. Or maybe turns to mossy rock.

The "evil corporate dudes in costumes" feels out of place somehow, with the Shanto man from last year I liked how there were dead robots scattered on the ground, something relevant. She deserves a mightier foe.

I saw you got +7 days to work with, that's awesome. Really push it now, and remember that sometimes you have to kill your darlings. :p
Push it to theee limiiiiit! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhsTmiK7Q2M) :buttrock:

FrozZT
05-09-2009, 11:36 AM
syrez-one: Don't worry man! Thanks for taking the time! :) I might end up toning the guys in the corner down in the end..

MrRico: Thank's man! :) Yea, I have'nt tried to balance the composition really becouse all you get from it is a calmer image, harmony and yeah, balance. Different approaches gives different feelings, alot of people get hung up on balance becouse it sounds right somehow, its only one approach, not the right approach. That doesnt mean its wrong either of course, just not the one i chose for my composition. I'd like to give a touch of anxiety, i find that exciting. And yea i agree with you working with the whole picture is a good way to bring your ideas to life, but i dont think its to balance your image(only if you wish to), more a way to easier give a unified feeling, that the different elements in the image work together in an illusion of a whole. In other words a good way to control your composition to your liking instead of focusing on the placement and execution of individual objects or elements. That's just my oppinion of course! :) I guess it just took alot of time for me to place the composition this time. Thank you for the input! I appriciate it, i just like to write this stuff down to solidify for myself how i feel about things mostly. ;)

Izuael: Thank you m8! :) And yes i agree, the mist isnt working with the image like it should. I'll make sure to keep working it! My first priority is the soul carriers, but i will most likely include the asscritters aswell! Yea i've thought about showing that part of the ground is actually a grown over demon or something and i also want to show a demon being injected by a soulcarrier so a tree starts sprouting from inside of it. I just need to fight my lazyness right now. I'm kind of sick of working with it hehe! Thanks for the input man, Much appriciated! :)

Here's another update, I'm progressing slowly right now, so tired of it. I'm gonna go to a party tonight so hopefully i'll be inspired again tomorrow! Still a long way to go.. All thoughts welcome and appriciated! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/final_8_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

erik_j
05-09-2009, 09:58 PM
wow totally awesome rendering! that further rendered leafwork to the right! :U

c/c: the dudes to the left are off in perspective. either they're below the beholder, in which case the closest dude is too far up (or other dude too far down), or their heads are level with the beholder's head in which case they both must come up etc (but that might not be the idea :)).

about the vegetation, I think you should work in lots of crossover vegetation. low vegetation, bushes etc to higher/lusher-than-lawn ground cover like kärskål or something like that :)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BqNvlnSawRA/RmcDHIKsQWI/AAAAAAAAAWE/mrfmtM8pX50/s200/Ulriksdal+6+juni-07+%2813%29.jpg
only lawn and distinguished trees may be natural for a city environment but more wild vegetation is usually more dramatic and if there's broken up ground (from which a year old tree is growing) there would definately be more wild ground cover (comes in like a month or two). the thing with lawn type ground cover is that it needs either a non-typical (for us) climate/soil conditions or grazing animals. otherwise plants like kärs take over much quicker than (lawn) grasses.

when it comes to the rendering of these things, perhaps think negative space? perhaps find/whip up a texture that could help you quick in the vegetation? (I really hope you'll finish!)

I second the comment on the mist.

this is turning out so goddamn awesome! I love the motif and idea too! I'm right now reassessing my life and getting into permaculture, hippie rebellious thoughts and stuff so the theme really strikes me! :P

good luck!

MartinNielsen
05-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Great work, man :) I agree that you could do some more work on the composition, and I think erik_j pretty much covered it, so I just shut up now :)

ShogunWarrior
05-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Hey Nicklas,

Your work is coming out great like a real painting... This one is worth a million soon! I can't wait to see it completed, take care for now...

FrozZT
05-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Erik: Thank you so much for the crits mate.. I really appriciate that you took the time! I'm gonna try my best to implement the feedback you gave, it even inspired me.. ;) Thanks again.. :D

MartinNielsen: Hehe yea.. :p Thanks for the support man! ;)

ShogunWarrior: hehe nah dont think it'll be worth much, but im glad you appriciate it! ;) Thanks for the encouragement!

-Niklas

Stutts
05-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Looking good man I love the addition of the guardian! can't wait to see this one finished!

FrozZT
05-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Stutts: Thanks man! I appriciate the support! :)

So I realized that the forrest was pretty much green and umm, green and some more green hehe.. So I've worked alot with the colors and also painted some more vegetation, gonna keep pushing that probably and also introduced some soulcarriers a.k.a. floating sperm. Oh yeah, I toned down the fog some to the left.. Starting to feel like i can pull this bitch together in the end! :) Here's the update.. All thoughts welcome and appriciated! :)

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/final_9_Niklas_Frostgard.jpg

erik_j
05-12-2009, 10:05 AM
wow it's certainly passed a threshold from promising to assured awesomeness!!

crit: I think it's a bit problematic with the dark woods and her dark silhouette. I guess you may be planning some rim:ish lighting from light posts or maybe some vague but adequate shine through in the forest behind her would help the composition.. mihgt be neat to see some light in the forest for the forests sake too..

DanielCortes
05-12-2009, 07:41 PM
you already know I love how this is coming, its going to stick out from lots of other entries, very original. I would support our friend with the light coming in from the trees idea it always adds a great lighting effect if you can pull it off, its always a little tricky but I'm sure you can. keep it up bro! :D

FrozZT
05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Erik: Thank yoU!! :) Maybe my screen is very bright.. humm, But yea im working on some reflections and stuff to lighten the legs up a bit. Btw i forgot to mention i tweaked some perspective for the upper suitdude and lightpost.. Does it work better? I'm so blind with this image right now its hard to work with. Thanks again m8! Appriciate it.. ;)

live2contage: Thanks man! :)

-Niklas

erik_j
05-13-2009, 03:55 PM
cool! yeah I actually saw that perspective improvement right away but forgot to comment :) looks better!

Segvoia
05-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Beautiful, etherial, unique...your painting style seduces the eye. This is very calm image in comparison to to the others in the competition, so no doubt it will stand out.

I have to admit that I'm not crazy about the humanoid figures in suits and ties, if humans have evolved into these misty beings over many eons I don't see why they would still wear such restictive clothing, but you said you like them and ultimately its your world ;)

Also as others have mentioned, watch the darkness of the forest behind her because it's threatening to swallow her up. Maybe highlighting the trunks a little more will add some more texture to the area.

Last thought, her beautiful face is such a strong highlight in such a dark area, maybe highlight some of the leaves to add more texture here too, nothing extreme, just a touch here and there to make the dark areas more interesting.

Crits aside, overall this is a commanding piece. Beautiful work!

FrozZT
05-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Erik: Yay! :) Thanks!

Segvoia: Thanks man! :) Yea i guess if you look at the story first and then at the image it raises a question mark, but in the end its not like it couldnt work with the story, In my mind it does so very well, i wont spell it out for you right now though! :p In the end i really just want the image to work for itself as long as i dont get disqualifyed I'm happy.. :) And yea I've been working alot with the darkness vs siluett and what i wanted to do was for her upper body to really pop while still leaving the legs visible but not eyecatching, my screen is very bright so that might have been a problem.. Anyway I've done some some minor lighting changes to the legs. I kind of want her to pop out and at the same time feel connected to the forrest like she's a part of it and the forrest is a part of her. Thank you very much for the crits, its helps alot! :)

-Niklas

Silkcats
05-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey Niklas!! This is looking great, I can't wait to see the final illustration, keep up!!

:beer:

FrozZT
05-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Silkcats: Hey man, thanks for the encouragement, its much appriciated! I'll make sure to check your thread out when this madness is over hehe.. ;)

Ok I'm sitting here with a cold trying to finish this bitch. :) Its gonna be a long night.. Deadline is 6 am my time. All my sheets are pretty much done except the final illustration. Gonna try to push it until the end.. Please give you thuoghts on these sheets while i can change it. Have i missed anything? probably, im so tired.. Something bothering you? The borders to dark? Here they are.. :) All thought very welcome and appriciated!

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Text_image.jpg
http://www.frostbrush.com/Concept_Sheet.jpg
http://www.frostbrush.com/Model_Sheet.jpg

FrozZT
05-19-2009, 04:01 AM
Here is my final.. Thank's everyone for the great support and for the valuable feednack given, couldnt have finished like this by myself. Now i need some sleep. As always i appriciate any kind of thought you might have on my work. Good luck to everyone struggling to finish within the last hours!

-Niklas

http://www.frostbrush.com/Final_Image_Niklas_Frostg%C3%A5rd.jpg

Synectikos
05-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Well done! I really like your style of painting. Good luck with the judging. :)

ario
05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Hey Niklas. Well done! A perfect coloring matched with your skill in design. Great job my friend. :thumbsup: Cheers! Hope you be one of the winners.
Best wishes:
Alireza

DTRAN
05-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Hello FrozZT and Congrats on a job well done. This is such a wicked piece. Its got beautiful eerie, magical feel to it!

Goodluck with the judgings and again, Congrats!

DDS
05-19-2009, 01:17 PM
The concept sheet is completely mind blowing. Very inspiring dude :drool:

Stutts
05-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Awesome man AWESOME! Glad you got to finish it! GOOD JOB!

Sepulverture
05-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Looks really good man. Good job on this.

Abrvpt
05-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Excellent work man, the story is cool and the character very charismatic. Hope to see you in finals ! ;)

Ferx
05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Hey Niklas,

Awesome and beautiful concept, love the final image, great feeling and atmosphere on it. All the best !! You deserve a big tequila bottle :D Cheers!! :beer:

Segvoia
05-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Gorgeous work! You added subtle details in the darker areas of the canvas that have unified the whole image. Beautiful work, good luck to you :thumbsup:

GaeasHerald
05-20-2009, 03:14 AM
Sweet Niklas, huge congrats to you for a job well done. BTW, I loved the story :love:

FrozZT
05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Synectikos: Thanks man! :)

ario: Thanks m8, im not counting on placing really, I'd be happy to be in the top 50 maybe. Lots f good stuff out there.. Glad yo like it though! ;)

DTRAN: Thanks man, im glad you like it! ;) Too bad you didnt finish yours, it kicked ass.

DDS: Thanks! Im happy you find it inspiring! :)

Stutts: Wee Thanks, it feels great to have it done now.. :)

Sepulverture: Thanks m8! ;)

Abvrpt: Thanks, :) Im happy you found the story cool also, didnt spend much time writing it down but i guess i somehow was working it out as i painted the piece.

Ferx: Yay Tequila! Maybe it will kill my cold aswell as my braincells! :D Glad you like the paint m8!

Segvoia: Thank you! Yea i think i pulled it off quite well in the end, not exactly what i initially wanted maybe but it worked out fine.. :)

GaeasHerald: Thanks man! Glad you like the story too, i worried that it'd feel cheesy or awkward, hard to judge for yourself and im not by any means a writer. Glad it got some good response! :)

It's been good to take it easy and recover, going to keep doing that for a few days. Still sick and quite tired.. But i do feel a bit inspired although i've decided not to pick up the pen until i feel good again. I kind of feel like doing some pen sketching on paper.. I hope they will keep to the stages of judging set this year.. Looking forward to the anticipation! Btw i think i might be going to the Massive Black workshop, so excited about it!

-Niklas

BaronImpossible
05-20-2009, 08:21 PM
What an original piece it turned out to be, great atmosphere too. Best of luck!

PuiArt
05-21-2009, 09:55 PM
woot! so glad you finish! now, lets go grab that bigggg trophy! you go first! lol

erik_j
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Congrats on finishing! :D awesome piece! I must say again I love the theme and motif :) Good luck!

MartinNielsen
05-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Good to see you finished this :) Great work and good luck.

FrozZT
05-23-2009, 01:33 AM
BaronImpossible: Thank you, glad you find it original! :)

PuiArt: No you go first! :P Man i wish, I'll be glad if i get in the top 50 hehe. Thanks man..

erik_j: Thanks m8 for all the support! :) Yea its something i also feel for very much right now.. Glad you like it! ;)

MartinNielsen: Thank you! :)

-Niklas

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2009, 01:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.