PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 2D - Baron Impossible - Evil Eye

Pages : [1] 2

BaronImpossible
03-15-2009, 09:08 PM
LATEST

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6200/finalwithtext.jpg

-----

I thought for at least 20 minutes about the theme for this one, and that's a long time for me. This is what I've come up with so far. I'll be building some sort of story around it, no doubt, so it's still pretty loose.

Norms: Clericon. My character, as yet nameless, was born with the power of the evil eye. When prepared, he can conjure such terror from his gaze he can stop a man's heart and strike fear into the most powerful of demons. Combining with <insert name here> of the parasitic race <and another one here> his power has been increased a thousand-fold. Now he can take on entire armies or even, just possibly, bring down a Demon Lord.

I'm counting the parasite as the Powerful Magic Weapon, on account of there's nothing to say it can't be, well, a parasite.

This WIP of a WIP of three concepts of a sketch (or whatever we have to do) is a quick bit of fooling around, to give the idea. This is nothing like he's going to look :)

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3214/concept1.jpg

BaronImpossible
03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
My idea for the final piece, which may not come across in the concepts, is that the parasite enables him to project a huge ghost-image of his face - and his Evil Eye - in the air above his head. I guess I'll include some special upward-reaching tentacles for that, because in such matters tentacles are essential.

inqy
03-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Wow, very Cthulian. I love it!

DeadInTheAttic
03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
You got the same idea ... almost.
Hell, and I thought, this idea would be unique.

paperclip
03-15-2009, 11:36 PM
I dig the tentacles. Looking forward to seeing where this goes...:arteest:

wenart
03-15-2009, 11:44 PM
waw.. nice idea, I love this one :D

Ferx
03-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Hey Simon,

Your idea sounds really cool, like the parasite idea, and the simbio relation can have great potential :D All the best and looking forward for more of your sketches!! Cheers!! :beer:

GaeasHerald
03-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Sweet Simon! Good sketch and promising idea. Plus, shrimp-squid critters definetly suit you in these character-based challenges :thumbsup:. Now go bring us a gold medal mate!

jett12
03-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Great concept, i really digg the "demon on my back" type monster your have there.

Titan
03-16-2009, 04:19 AM
that s totally sick man... love the idea.... pirates of the Caribbean influenced?

BaronImpossible
03-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Cheers guys, I'll try and get a few more concepts done today or tomorrow. Titan - I'm embarrased to admit I've never seen PotC - maybe I should now! My inspiration was actually a book I read ages ago, one of the Thomas Covenant series, in which one of Covenant's foes - called Kasreyn of the Gyre - had a parasitic creature called a croyel attached to his back which enhanced his powers.

Titan
03-16-2009, 01:33 PM
looks great man..keep pushing the concept..

grunt69
03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Scary stuff! Great concept! Keep up the good work;)

BaronImpossible
03-16-2009, 08:01 PM
OK, here's a second concept. Much the same as the first, really. It needs a bit more dynamism. My next one will have tentacles wrapped around his legs as well as the bandages. I also had the idea that the parasite-projected face could be made entirely of tentacles although I don't know if I've got the willpower to do that (not to mention the character profiles and whatever else).

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1112/concept2w.jpg

SaphireS
03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Awesome, will follow this one for sure!
Composing the big face out of tentacles sounds like loads of work...but maybe it's worth it?

Seven
03-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Great design!

Ferx
03-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey Simon,

Cool sketch. The concept of making the parasite face wiith tentacles is really original :D
Great work, looking forward for more updates! Cheers! :beer:

MartinNielsen
03-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Very nice designs. The second one looks even better to me. Very demonic :)

conor
03-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Really nice Simon, keep bringing it to life.

Crix Dorius
03-17-2009, 03:17 AM
For me the idea with the projection is great... like it... But I don`t know if it would be better with tentacles. :shrug:

BaronImpossible
03-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Cheers, everyone. I'm not sure I can bring myself to do the tentacles thing. I'll give it some more thought. Meanwhile, a few changes. I didn't think it was complete until his scalp was peeled back and some kind of protuberance inserted into his skull. I'll make start on something different, later; I gather we need to produce heaven knows how many concepts before our character sheet and final image.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3580/concept3.jpg

solblomma
03-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Really cool idea and nice progress.
I will definately be keeping an eye on this thread.

BaronImpossible
03-17-2009, 09:14 PM
And another, close-up of evil eye and flayed skull with parasitic penetration - oh my

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/429/concept4f.jpg

i3abden
03-17-2009, 11:58 PM
wow interesting concept, killer wips ;)

LGuzik
03-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Love the detail on the close-up. Excellent job! Can't wait to see when this guy is all done :D

GaeasHerald
03-18-2009, 02:53 AM
"parasitic penetration" no comments :hmm:.....
I wonder how you're going to get this done, it's kinda difficult idea to get across. I guess the camera angle is gonna be important, maybe looking from beneath?
Keep it coming mate!

Nethermind
03-18-2009, 02:59 AM
I like you keeping the projection as a projection rather than tentacles. Extra work aside, there are already plenty of tentacles to make it quite interesting and adding even more might detract from the cool mass of tentacles already wrapping around the body.

very cool concept.

DoomedSeraph
03-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Looking great, love the painting style. Love the concept and design so far, keep em coming.

kmanning
03-18-2009, 08:14 AM
man I love this.. ill be watching this the whole comp.. thanks for the inspiration

Sepulverture
03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
This is a cool sketch, and a cool concept, but I have a question.

This is a Clericon, but you mentioned nothing about his healing properties. Maybe I'm wrong and need to read the brief again, I'm not totally sure, but the Clericon class is a non-combative unit, isn't it? It has the ability to bind and banish enemies.

To me this sounds more like it should be an invoker. This is a cool concept, hope to see it go far. I don't know how strict the judges are on the rules, but I'd hate to see a team mate get disqualified because they made a wicked concept, but just submitted it under the wrong heading or some such thing.

BaronImpossible
03-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone, good to get feedback and some good advice too :)

Sepulverture - yeah, wasn't too sure about this myself. See, my idea is that the power actually lies with the main character and that the parasite just amplifies his abilities (the evil eye). In the rules it says that the Clericon "uses magic to heal, strengthen, weaken, banish or bind foes or allies." Now I'm not sure if killing someone with fear counts as weakening them, so it's a good point you make.

It says the invoker "harvests powerful magic to destroy and/or manipulate his surroundings or enemies" but I'm not sure where this guy would "harvest" it from, being that it's his in the first place.

Then again, I'm not too well up on this sort of thing. I suppose at worst I could explain it in my text but if anyone more experienced than me in these matters has any ideas then feel free to suggest!

syrez-one
03-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Heya, this is already looking very good! I like the idea of the parasite. A creepy addition to a Norm. I'm not very well experienced here myself, but I played some RPGs and stuff. So I guess, harvesting power means something like a stereotype of Mana Pool the character would have. A Power he leeches from, or a drains life or anything.

And for the clericon i think weakening means, he decreases some of the enemies abilities, like strength, armor or stuff. But how this looks and how you explain it works, is left wide open i think!

I looking forward for the next updates!

One thing, as the rules say no mix, I'm a bit concerned that the parasite would be regarded as "physicly" connected to the clericon, which would make him a mixed char. But also this could be some kind of magical artefact, weapon or armor... so, the rules are a bit vague to me here too..

Zephyri
03-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey Simon, the concepts are looking good thus far.. my favourite has to be the look of the first one. There's something in the simplicity of it that makes it more powerful, some how. That and I'm just not a fan of the giant floating head thing, even though I do like the idea of the figure and the parasite below it.

I'm sure you've got lots of brilliant ideas bubbling, so I'll wait to see where you take it before offering any other feedback!

nellement
03-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Wow wicked idea,keep up the great work

JockeP
03-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Really nice WIPs, keep it up.

wenart
03-18-2009, 04:56 PM
I love the way parasitic penetrate the host :D nice concept :D

JIMMAZZA
03-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Beautiful concepts. Can't wait to see more.

BaronImpossible
03-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys, appreciated :) syrez-one & Zephyri - great advice, cheers. I'll play around a bit more with the ideas and see what comes out, after all there's enough time (having said that I don't know how much time we do have, just that it's a lot). I'll mess about with Alchemy which I've just downloaded - very coooooool.

Art2
03-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Great start and wonderful concepts. I like the giant face.
The character could be a symbiont, so that one can't live without the other.
That would make it one character right? :)

Looking forward to more.

BaronImpossible
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Art2 - symbiont, now there's an idea :)

OK, a bit more doodling...

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9417/concept5.jpg

BaronImpossible
03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
LOL, WTF is this? I'll post it for a laugh but...

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7304/concept6.jpg

MR
03-18-2009, 11:05 PM
hi simon great stuff so far. i like your new idea (not he rat thing:)- the other one... it gives your concept something very unique your first sketches didn`t have
i am thrilled to watch yout thread.

good luck

MR
03-18-2009, 11:16 PM
please don`t misapprehend me..
your first concepts were all very nice, but i missed that certain uniqueness i appreciate in your other artworks..

BaronImpossible
03-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Mraaflaub - Thanks, your comments are very useful. I think I might develop that headdress idea thing and maybe incorporate some kind of mechanics in there (although not rat-shaped)

syrez-one
03-19-2009, 10:05 AM
hihi, the mechanical part looks like an anteater to me at first sight.. , but the general idea is worth following it, i think.

show us more! :)

solblomma
03-19-2009, 10:15 AM
I really like the bird head idea. Maybe you should find a nice metaphor for using a specific type of creature that clings to the general connotation of 'eyes'. For example, spiders have a bunch of eyes (never bothered counting), flies have some sort of compound multi-lens eyes and so on and so forth.

Anyway. Looking good! Keep up the good work!

BR,

Nicklas

BaronImpossible
03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
syrez-one - Ha, an anteater, you're right it does

solblomma - Yep, I've been thinking about the eyes. I've sort of decided on something so I'll try and get another concept done in a day or two.

BaronImpossible
03-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Already I'm thinking about demons. I'd be able to hold out longer. Only time for a quicky today...

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1994/concept7.jpg

Ferx
03-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Hey Simon,

Nice sketches you have here :D

The last one looks impresive.... I see that the dark side is wining the battle .... :D
Waiting to see more on your demon concept ! Cheers! :beer:

BaronImpossible
03-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Cheers, Ferx. Yep, my demons are winning :twisted:

Meanwhile, quick colour study of... well, a glowing bone. Don't know if my creature will have glowing bones or not but if it does at least I'll know how to do them...

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8741/colstud1.jpg

Zephyri
03-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Really love the textural feel of that last piece, the black and white one - almost freaks me out, the way it seems to be emerging from the black, like someone took a random snapshot of it with a cheap flash camera.

The firey glowing bone definitely has a firey almost explosive thing going on, but not sure I read it as bone, without reading the description. Maybe adding a few little fracture lines and some subtle rough texturing would help? I know it's only rough at the mo, so take these suggestions with a giant pinch of salt, especially as the practice run is a little out of context too. Still curious to know exactly where you'll be going with it though!

FrozZT
03-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Hey man. Awesome stuff! :) Man that's a freaky eye he's got there hehe.. That last demon face looks so moist, mm yumm(eewww). I'd really like to see you throw out some more concepts and maybe worry less about rendering until later. But I guess if you enjoy it you should keep working that way.. The most important thing is to have fun! Lets see some more full figure roughs!!! Keep it up, great work..

-Niklas

Ferx
03-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Hey Simon,

Really great study. Love the texture feel on the image and the glow looks really well. Like the traslucent parts on the flesh, cool detail ! :D
You are totally trapped by the dark side, great!! :D Cheers!! :beer:

BaronImpossible
03-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Zephyri - I quite like the chubby guy too, I think at least some of that will be in the final pic. Good point about the bone, it looks like metal or something at the moment. I don't think I'll be using it anyway but what you say is true. Thanks for the feedback!

FrozZT - Yep, I need to get sorted with a full concept. I've actually decided on one now - it came to me last night. The abomination itself I think will be a little like the last guy but the context will (I hope!) be a bit different to anything else. Although I doubt contexts matter in the final judging I just find it easier to wrap everything in a story :) Thanks for the comments!

Ferx - Cheers, you're right there - it's Baron 0, Dark Side 1, although I think the final piece will have a twist :)

birdman03
03-21-2009, 01:24 PM
good composition!~unique design! keep on!

BaronImpossible
03-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks!

On with the proper concepts now (for the concept sheet)... Will post again in a few days :)

Ataulfo
03-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi Simon,

Great sketches.:thumbsup:
Keep it up:beer:

OKMER
03-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey Simon,
Already some nice doodles man and huge ideas!
Looking forward to your final choice/works.
Still battling my dark side too...

Have a great war mate!

BaronImpossible
03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Cheers, Ataulfo, will do :)

OKMER - Looking forward to seeing your stuff too and good luck with the dark side :twisted: - I think we'll need some supernatural help looking at the entrires on some of the other sites!

OK, was going to wait until I'd done my concept sheet before I posted next but then I thought maybe best to post each concept full-sized first. So, here's the first one. I'll be playing around with this character (so to speak) but hopefully not changing him that much.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2055/fincon02.jpg

OKMER
03-22-2009, 07:28 PM
ok we posted at the same time and I missed this big bad mo...........!
So allow me to pass by again in the same minute just to say I'm happy the dark side got you!

jett12
03-22-2009, 07:29 PM
wow nice paint, that looks really good... totally different from what i expected

BaronImpossible
03-22-2009, 10:04 PM
OKMER - yep, I am possessed with devilish intent! :)

jett12 - Cheers, glad you like it anyway

MichelleJC
03-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Wow, your concept is really beautiful :love:

Intervain
03-22-2009, 10:37 PM
wow - fantastic so far Simon! I love the branch like legs and the head in particular!

yakonusuke
03-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey I like that one much more than the former concepts.
Very nice, Simon Demonic!

nellement
03-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Really nice,maybe add some of the face mask pattern to the tops of the legs but thats just sugestion it looks great so far

GaeasHerald
03-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey Simon, that's such a cool creature you've got going on. Will he have glowing bones too? I also wonder how its back view looks like, does it have a tail or a stinger?
Maybe you could add a human figure somewhere to grasp an idea of his size, that's my only suggestion.

The dark side of the force is strong in U :twisted:

GregStrangis
03-22-2009, 11:56 PM
This new concept is way cooler dude then the previous ones! Keep rocking man!

walrus
03-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Very awesome legs, Simon! I love the texture detail on the tops of them. Now you just have to make the arms and humanoid legs cooler to match! :) They're looking a bit simple in comparison, especially the feet and hands. Good luck!

ShogunWarrior
03-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Very nice designs and so far its looking great... can't wait to see it completed glhf

adib
03-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Great concepts as allways!Best to you and good luck mister BaronImpossible!:buttrock:

BaronImpossible
03-23-2009, 11:40 AM
MichelleJC - Thanks! :)

Intervain - Nice one, cheers

yakonusuke - Glad you think so, thanks

nellement - Thanks for the idea, I'll see if I can include it in a later concept

GaeasHerald - Good idea about the figure, I'll stick one in later. Much as I like glowing bones I don't think this guy's allowed to have them, as he's just an abomination, but no worries, plenty of other options. Thanks!

GregStrangis - Cool, glad you think so!

walrus - Glad you like my legs, Mike - I won't tell anyone if you don't ;) I had a blank spot when it came to arms and rear legs so I left them pretty basic and gorilla-like. I had the idea of the rear legs being re-inforced somehow (they'd need to be!) but not sure yet. Still, I've got 5 concepts left to test it all out so if I haven't got it right by then there's no hope for me :)

ShogunWarrior - I think I'll be glad to see it completed too! ;)

adib - Cheers and good luck to you too (and everyone else!)

Zephyri
03-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Dang that last concept is brilliant! Really feels like something unusual and new and I adore the leg designs. Definitely a step in the awesome direction!

aelwine
03-23-2009, 04:15 PM
those spider like legs are simply awesome.
I do agree though that the gorilla like rear legs are lacking a bit compared to the rest of the design. The front arms don"t bother me that much, but I'm pretty sure by looking at your other stuffs, that you'll be able to find something cool if you keep going on with this concept.

BTW I kind of liked the fish like demon with multiple eyes, it reminds me of quite creepy
abyssal creatures

BaronImpossible
03-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Zephyri - Good to know you like it, thanks :thumbsup:

aelwine - Thanks! Yeah, I'm in two minds about the monkey legs. My thinking is gravitating towards the original creature (pre-spider legs graft) being sort of monkey-based and his hind legs being largely non-functional remnants; when he walks, he walks on his spider legs. I guess he could also use his hind legs to stand on when he beats the crap outta some poncy norm warlord with all four spidery appendages.

Anyhow, I've just started on concept 2 which hopefully should give the walking idea, plus testing a few variations.

rhemrev
03-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Very cool stuff man, I like the fact that you kept some black lines around your concept, keeps it a bit more graphic (and the style of how you drew the skulls complements this), and 'design-y'...cool!

-Edwin

Ferx
03-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Hey Simon,

Totally love the aracnid type legs, fantastic textures on them! :D Like a lot the armor for torso and the head, really cool. Maybe you can make the arms and legs for the body (not the aracnid) more demoniac style, and the character can be use the aracnid legs for principal motion force, somethig like Dr. Ocotopus on spiderman film , the body hanging.... A wish, more than a critic. :D Again, superb work!! Cheers!! :beer:

StefanoDubay
03-24-2009, 01:05 AM
heh, nice, those big appendages dont feel very functional tho maybe if he's off the ground?

DerrickSong
03-24-2009, 03:24 AM
i like this design a lot, something new..good job man!

my DWIV entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=744462)

BaronImpossible
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
rhemrev - Cheers, that's helpful to know. I think it's the first time I've ever done concept sketching (I normally just block in colours) so it's new to me.

Ferx - That's exactly what I'm doing in the next concept :) I knew I'd seen the idea before, I just couldn't remember where - Doc Octopus, that's it. Thanks for the feedback.

StefanoDubay - Yep, in the next one it should all become clear :)

DerrickSong - Thanks v much! :)

StefanoDubay
03-24-2009, 06:06 PM
cool I cant wait :) and is it absolutely Brian Lumley for the theme - did you just read the Necroscope? If you didnt you very well should! :D

Nikolay
03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Cool ideas Simon!, good luck to you!)

BaronImpossible
03-25-2009, 10:47 PM
StefanoDubay - I read some Lumley a long time ago, I recall some dude becoming a god and loads of vampires or something :)

Nikolay - Thanks!

Latest update, beast walking. Playing around with its head, really, although I still prefer the head / arm design of the original. Just to show how it moves about (i.e. fast!)

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6370/fincon03.jpg

jett12
03-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I like the pose, very cool, but i don't know about the head, i liked the other one better.

Also I'm curious, what do his little back legs look like? neither of your images really focused on them so i don't really understand why they are there since he has huge spider legs :D

MR
03-25-2009, 11:10 PM
hey simon
very nice piece you have there...although i prefered the knee-part on your first concept.. keep it up!

-i dont agree with jett12. (sorry) the head on the second one gives the crature a nice dynamic..-

Intervain
03-25-2009, 11:14 PM
yeah I liked the first one better too - both the head and the legs :)

OneManWar
03-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Ouch. Looking at all your submissions, mine is gonna need alot of work. Very nice design bro.

kashivan
03-25-2009, 11:30 PM
wwoooaahhhh!
VERY COOLLL concept! :applause:

Titan
03-26-2009, 12:15 AM
fierce !.. love it.. lots of style...

Ferx
03-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Hey Simon,

"Impressive..., most impressive "... :D Awesome sketch, like a lot the demons right arm. Cant wait for more updates! :D Cheers!! :beer:

BaronImpossible
03-26-2009, 07:06 PM
jett12 - Thanks. I think the theme I was after was of a creature with the four huge legs somehow grafted on there. I might give him another pair, not sure yet.

Mraaflaub - Cheers, feedback appreciated :)

Intervain - Thanks for the input!

OneManWar - Thanks v much :)

kashivan - Cool, cheers

Titan - Heh, thanks

Ferx - Glad you like it :) Hopefully some more updates before end of the weekend...

aeonseraph
03-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Im speechless... impressive concepts mate! Especially the creature :thumbsup:
Keep up the good works :beer:
Good luck in your creative process! :arteest:

Xillion
03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
The latest concept is awesome. The character truly emanates it's 'fear' power. Every brushstroke is poetry. Awesome, again.

nellement
03-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes last one is crazy awesome sense of motion

BaronImpossible
03-27-2009, 05:56 PM
aeonseraph - Thanks v much, good luck 2u2

Xillion - You certainly wouldn't want this guy running at you :) Cheers

nellement - Thanks, appreciated

neobear
03-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I was very impress by your general at the DW minichallenge ... and you continue on the same way ! :applause:

rhemrev
03-27-2009, 10:02 PM
just droppin in to see what you've been upto :) Cool to see you venture into other directions, but to be honest, I still dig the creature on Page 4 best...he was a bit more cartoony and stylized, and made up of more simple shapes. Either way, keep exploring, looking forward seeing more :)

Back to work,
-Edwin

GaeasHerald
03-28-2009, 02:59 AM
Very dynamic sketch, i like it very much. Do agree that the other head was a bit better, and the back armour too rather than the hairy back, but it good that you explore all these possibilities. In the former sketch, the knees/joints seemed as if they had dirt caught in between the cracks, which was also a cool feature (maybe it could even have nasty things growing there..).

oh, btw, the weapon is just the right one for your character. All in all, it's an awesome sketch. ;)

GregStrangis
03-28-2009, 05:50 AM
He looks like he can kick some major ass now! Great sketch Baron, this guy will just keep getting cooler the more you flesh em out keep it up!

BaronImpossible
03-28-2009, 11:42 AM
neobear - Cheers, glad you think so :)

rhemrev - Yeah, I'm tending towards that one although the final scene I have in mind is fairly specific so I'll give it some more thought

GaeasHerald - Thanks for the feedback, really useful :thumbsup:

GregStrangis - For sure he does. Thanks for dropping by!

OK, not had time to do anything else yet but I'll update in the next few days - thanks everyone for your encouragement

CharlesVarenne
03-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Really nice and very dynamic. Nice concept too! I really like your work on his left arm armor. And yes I agree with you, his original head is much better and more interesting.:bounce:

BaronImpossible
03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
CharlesVarenne - Thanks for the input!

Sorry for the so-so update this time, have only had an hour or so this weekend. Still, loads of time left yet :)

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9173/fincon04.jpg

PeterBraeley
03-29-2009, 10:20 PM
crazy concepts dude can't wait to see where this is gonna go! Keep it up!!

kashivan
03-29-2009, 11:46 PM
afffwwoo! :applause:
very cool painting! KEEP IT UP! :beer:

BaronImpossible
04-01-2009, 11:23 AM
PeterBraeley - Thanks!

kashivan - Cheers, will do

I haven't forgotten about this - I'll get some more concepts out by the end of the week!

Sepulverture
04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
hey B.I., I love the sketches you have here. I love the painting style you're employing and the texturing.

I'm sorry, I didn't read every comment posted here, just don't have that kind of time right now. The question is simply what do the recent sketches have to do with the original concepts?

BaronImpossible
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Sepulverture - Thanks, these last ones don't follow on from the original theme, I changed my mind :)

Sepulverture
04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Roger dodger. Never hurts to change direction if that's where your gut takes you.

namnocilis
04-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I knew that there was some really amazing works here even before i clicked it.. yup! just like i thought :) and now my instincts tell that you must be a demon too..:twisted: no offence, couldn't resist telling that.. :D i liked all the sketches.. but must say that last sketch concept 3 really looks a lot creepier than the rest, i would probably stay and fight those others but that last one gives me no other choice but to run since i have no choice to hide.. i really can't stare at him for long.. damn scary! nothing to crit about..

saw your portfolio and website.. :bowdown:really loved that random inspiration section on your site, cool stuff! bookmarked your website, portfolio and this thread.. must visit every now and then for inspiration. really surprised to know that the maximum time you spend is 20 minutes on a theme and you come up with such Great works! hatsoff!

BaronImpossible
04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Sepulverture - Very true!

namnocilis - Thanks, that's great feedback. Appreciated :thumbsup: Cool you like my random inspiration too :)

Anyway, here's the result of the evening so far. I'm getting pretty tired of b/w to be honest, it's the first time I've ever done it and I don't like it much. Colour is what I need now ;)

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1541/fincon05.jpg

kashivan
04-01-2009, 07:37 PM
BaronImpossible - very nice colors palette!
very live paint ! :p

Ferx
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey Simon,

Really cool updates :D Like a lot the head studies. The last one have a great face and the mix of textures ( metal, leather, wood) look really cool! :D Think you have a great feel for gray tonal values, but yes, color is color .... like any alcoholic beverage hahahaha :D Again , great work !! waiting for more updates and in the middle time some beers!! ( and some tequila shots, why not? :D ) Cheers!! :beer:

Gyorkland
04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
........ DAmn!!! this is awesome keep posting dude Ill keep track of this one

BaronImpossible
04-02-2009, 10:14 AM
kashivan - cheers

Ferx - Glad you like it, might try and expand on the idea for the next one - maybe tusks or something. Can't wait for colour... :)

Gyorkland - Cool, thanks

GaeasHerald
04-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Yep Simon, you're the kind of artist that makes colors pop and we're all waiting to see what surprises you've got to show us for the final piece. Still, all your sketches have had subtle nuances of greenish greys and murky browns, its cool how you manage get all that variation in!

About the head design, textures and shape are interesting in this last one, but bare in mind that the head is quite a small part of the whole character, so too much detail might not be usefull in the end. In my modest opinion, a more symetrical and simpler design (like concept 3) would be a wiser choice.

I'm also sick and tired of making grayscale sketches, but everything in due time my friend ;).

DeadInTheAttic
04-03-2009, 10:04 AM
That's evolution throughout all those concepts.
But I also think, that within the final image the head might be to small to appreciate all those details.

Art2
04-03-2009, 10:33 AM
I really love the last sketch. But I agree with the comments saying that in the end the cool head might get lost because of its small size.

What you could do is make it a bit bigger and prominent. Also maybe an idea is to lose the small mouth (which I think is pretty cool btw) and have those cool irregular sticks as teeth.

BaronImpossible
04-03-2009, 11:03 AM
GaeasHerald - Thanks. Yep, I know I'll have to put plenty of detail into the head but for the final scene I had in mind I'll need to define it well so maybe I'll have to work larger than usual, to get the detail in.

DeadInTheAttic - Twisted evolution at that! :)

Art2 - Have you been peeking at my next concept? Now you've spoiled the surprise :) Yep, big teeth coming up...

kashivan
04-03-2009, 11:06 AM
BaronImpossible - GO GO GO!
WE WANT MORE! :applause:

Art2
04-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Art2 - Have you been peeking at my next concept? Now you've spoiled the surprise :) Yep, big teeth coming up...

You caught me... :scream:
I've been controlling your mind all this time :beer:

Seriously though, keep up the cool work! You're one of our champions.

BaronImpossible
04-03-2009, 06:49 PM
kashivan - OK, OK, I'm working on it :D

Art2 - No pressure then ;)

Anyhow, here's the guy with big teeth...

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1867/fincon06.jpg

GregStrangis
04-03-2009, 06:59 PM
thats some ill shit right there Baron!

Stutts
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't want to get in between him and his lunch! Lookin good man!:buttrock: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

aeonseraph
04-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I simply have no words! :eek:
Each of your conceps is so well made. It seems like each drawing has paid equal amount of attention to it. Every piece is SO detailed and well coloured. Top quality stuff here. :buttrock:
I really enjoy wathcing the progress of your work.
Keep it up, and good luck mate! :thumbsup:

~ Armand

rhemrev
04-03-2009, 10:33 PM
yeah, now where'getting somewhere....love that last sketch, it has so much more impact because you are using a familiar shape (babyface) which evokes a certain emotion, and then designed a jaw around it that is the exact opposite of that emotion.....very cool. Maybe you can refer to rhino skin for the plating/armour, it'll help sell the design i think.

A good idea might be to create a quick collage of all the stuff you've created sofar, and put that up for discusison, seeing everything in 1 shot will help finding a direction, as you are still going quite broad :)

Keep up the good work,
-Edwin

BaronImpossible
04-04-2009, 10:01 AM
GregStrangis - Oooh yeah :D

Stutts - I gather he only eats soup :)

aeonseraph - Great to hear that, thanks v much

rhemrev - Thanks, that's great feedback. Yep, one more concept and I plan on sticking them all (or most of them) on my concepts sheet. The sooner that part's over the better. Then I'll start on the profile sheet and hope that I don't bug out from drawing all this b/w stuff!

BaronImpossible
04-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Oh, BTW, as the rules state All images must include text that indicates your character's race, class, your contact details, Dominance War IV logo and your team logo does anyone know here I might find the DW IV logo in PNG or alpha? The rules helpfully don't provide a link :/ - Thanks

namnocilis
04-04-2009, 05:21 PM
does anyone know here I might find the DW IV logo in PNG or alpha? The rules helpfully don't provide a link :/ - Thanks

Here in the first page of the FAQ Thread :)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=728088&page=1

BaronImpossible
04-04-2009, 06:10 PM
namnocilis - Thanks, but I was actually looking for the DW logo rather than the team logo (unless that's there too and I missed it - perfectly possible :) ) No worries though, I just butchered the DW JPG. Not pretty but heck, it's only a concept sheet after all.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2264/dwivconceptsheet.jpg

namnocilis
04-04-2009, 06:28 PM
oh! even i am not sure about this DWIV logo.. just noticed they have mentioned both DWIV logo and Team logo, must be a mistake.. :lightbulb (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) better to get it cleared in FAQ section..

btw.. the concept sheet with all the creatures together is looking kickass! You Rock! :buttrock:
now i can have it as a wallpaper.. another source of inspiration :wise: Thanks!

ShamesArt
04-04-2009, 07:38 PM
really wow !

Ferx
04-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Hey Simon,

Really great concept sheet, simply cool!! :D Love the spider legs abomination :D The head studies are awesome!! Like the "spider eyes" idea :) Cant wait to see more !! Cheers!! :beer:

ROBOTTANK
04-04-2009, 08:02 PM
holy shit dude! you're friggin' brutal! I think any character you go with is bound to slaughter many. Your color palette looks amazing and your rendering is impressive, very inspiring, I'm definitely learning a lot just from observing your work, many thanks.

GregStrangis
04-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Great job on the concept sheet Baron, Looks professional :cool: Can't wait to see some color in your concepts man!!

DeadInTheAttic
04-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Which way will you go?

I like that creature with an outstreched arm, though you have to change the perspective of your new skull, make it fit to the body.
The idea of those teeth is creepy, though I would not go humanlike according to his face. Even if that makes the contrast really obvious, babyface - monster. A bit like the idea behind that alien-man mixture in "Alien Resurrection" ... OMG ... I watch too much TV.

Keep on goin' :)

BaronImpossible
04-05-2009, 03:11 PM
namnocilis - Thanks, good I can inspire - I wish I could inspire myself sometimes :)

ShamesArt - Really thanks ;)

Ferx - Thanks for the comments!

ROBOTTANK - Cool, good of you to say so

DeadInTheAttic - Yeah, I liked the creature on Alien Resurrection too, very spooky. Thanks, hope to post more next week

vikramvr
04-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Awesome..Just love your painting style..Great concept.

beelow
04-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Sweet booty! Love the concepts of your abomination character. Are you still going to explore the character a bit more? Or you're pretty much decided on what you are about do? Tight work as always Simon good luck!

BaronImpossible
04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
vikramvr - thanks v much

beelow - Ah, I was wondering where you'd got to :) Well, I think I could add more to the idea if I did a few more concepts but to be honest I'm tired of doing b/w stuff so I need to get it over with for the sake of my sanity. B&W is OK but there's no challenge, it's like sit down and wake up three hours later when it's done. So, sticking with the same - I've just started the side-view for the profile sheet.

syrez-one
04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
great concepts! i'd love to learn some of your painting technics :)!!! the crab legged one with the flail is favorite, think the pose and weapon do its work *G* .. the concept 5s face *thumbsup* ! cool designs!!

JacquesPena
04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Your style definitely stood out of the bunch. No Critiques today, Keep up the good work!

BaronImpossible
04-08-2009, 06:35 PM
syrez-one - Thanks v much :)

Sleepinglion - nice of you to say, cheers!

Anyhow, first profile pic. To be honest I'm getting tired of seeing this beast...

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4686/finprofile01.jpg

Stutts
04-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Looking good man! :thumbsup: I understand about getting tired of looking at you're own design I am feeling the same about mine.:D Keep it up though it's coming along really well.

BaronImpossible
04-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Stutts - Yep, will be glad when I get onto the final stage. Good luck!

NH
04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Great job ! Keep up the stunning work :applause:

aeonseraph
04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
This is stunning piece indeed :thumbsup:
I understand U very well, i have this problem too. Only my problem is a bit different, it's that if i work on one character for too long i can get bored and loose the interest in it, so i never finish it. This is the reason why i have almost 30 unfinished works at home buried deep into my PC archive. XD
Somehow i nee dto learn work faster and keep the same quality, but i guess it comes with the years of experience. :)

Keep those updates coming. After wathcing your website and the portfolio here I really want to see how your final illustration will look like. Good luck Simon :beer:

nellement
04-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Awesome man,everyone had that phase but usually just try to do something completely different than ussual nad you will be on track again.

Hazzard65
04-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Watching the character develop in this thread has been really inspiring! Awesome work.

I think you may be onto a winner there with that last idea, however I must admit I did find that the 2nd concept with the bone headdress had a certain charm to it.

I think your latest idea is the best by far though. Great work!

MR
04-09-2009, 03:58 PM
hi simon
I like your last concept very much.
But if i overprais you it may helps you not a lot.;)
So here`s my critique: In my oppinion the metal part of your creature looks a bit boaring compared to these very nice legs. Maybe a pattern or some very big nails (maybe those metal parts have been nailed on the bare body of your crature) could it make more interesting.

Good luck and stamina

michael

BaronImpossible
04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
NH - Cheers, I'll try!

aeonseraph - Yeah, I rarely do concept sketches unless I have to because they don't really help me. Still, it'll be done soon (or so I keep telling myself) :)

nellement - Thanks, you could be right!

Hazzard65 - Thanks, appreciated :)

Mraaflaub - Thanks, good point :thumbsup: Well, somewhere on his armour I'm going to have to put the CGSociety logo although I'm not sure where yet... Good luck to you - and everyone else - too!

Ataulfo
04-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi Simon,

Awesome stuff. Amazing.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Your arachnid sketches are my favourites.
Keep it up:beer:

MartinNielsen
04-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I know the feeling of being tired of looking at your own work for so long :) Everything look great here :beer:

GaeasHerald
04-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Hi Simon, I too know how it feels to get bored with ones character, I guess most of us are feeling it :banghead:.

Anyway, I need not compliment you again for your style because you already know how much I like it, so I'll give you some tiny crits: first, this creature in the last sketch doesn't look as fast or agile as the former ones, and secondly the head choice would not be my first pick. I worry that the big teeth in this one might occlude most of his face and force you to go for a side view, which is not as menacing as if it were looking straight forward.

Having said that, I know you've got so much talent that it oozes out from you skin pores, and if anyone can make it work, it's you man! :cool:

BaronImpossible
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Ataulfo - Thanks! :D

MartinNielsen - Yep, we just gotta push through it. Only a couple more sketches to go then the final image!

GaeasHerald - Thanks, very helpful. First - the head. Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I've just started the head-on view and it was obvious those teeth didn't work. When it comes to compositing my profile sheet I'll fix them so they're only at the sides. About the agility, I think maybe it's because it's just a static side-view that it looks unweildy. I've got plans for the final image to show the beast running up a mountain-side on its four spider legs, with its arms and rear legs off the ground. Not sure how that'll work out as I've got an ambitious composition in mind but we'll see... ;)

Phill99
04-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Very cool looking beast you got there buddy! Looking forward to more W.I.Ps from you
Good luck to you!

BaronImpossible
04-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Phill99 - Thanks, only one more WIP after this one (thank goodness!)

Front view
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5176/finprofile02.jpg

yakonusuke
04-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Great , baron! I like how it's painted & rendered , the hands, and the body of that beast.
But I think the transition from the legs to the body could be better. It seems like they are just sticked in the back of the guy.

Keep it up!

ROBOTTANK
04-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Damn this thing is awesome! I see what yakonusuke means about the transition, maybe cutting the armor around the spider leg shoulders to expose a bit of flesh would've done it, but it still looks amazing.

BaronImpossible
04-11-2009, 01:41 PM
yakonusuke - Great, thanks for the feedback :) Yes, the base of the legs don't come across well in this version - perhaps it's easier to see in the side version. The armour is actually supposed to be shaped to allow the legs through but I didn't manage to convey that. I'll make sure it's more obvious in the final piece.

ROBOTTANK - Thanks, your comments are appreciated!

nellement
04-11-2009, 02:20 PM
That's sick man great job,maybe just add something at the upper arm area to make it more connected to the metal area now it loos like its just a mass adedd at the top of the metal part personal opinion :)

Hazzard65
04-11-2009, 02:29 PM
That is freaking awesome much better!

I agree with what you said Baron the legs do look a little detached, maybe you could integrate them into the body and the armor a bit more.

rawwad
04-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Cool concept, love design and rendering .Also the first variants and thumbs are excelent. Keep up great progress!

BaronImpossible
04-12-2009, 06:57 PM
nellement - cheers, will do! :)

Hazzard65 - Thanks! :)

rawwad - thanks for dropping by, appreciated :)

Anyhow, final profile sheet. It could have been more refined by I'm pretty tired of this damn creature. At least I can get back to doing something in colour now - huzzah.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/7960/dwivprofilesheet.jpg

GaeasHerald
04-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Excellent! And you're starting colour, hurray! :bounce:

GregStrangis
04-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Amazing Simon! Wish I came up with it myself to model =P, this guy in color is going to look great

BaronImpossible
04-12-2009, 10:33 PM
GaeasHerald - Yep, might have a short break, but like Arnold, "I'll be back..."

GregStrangis - Thanks :) (it would be cool to see this dude animated!)

Izuael
04-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Woah, lots have happened here!
Your rendering style is really pleasant for the eyes. It might not be the most efficient and fast way to do concepts in, but who cares, it looks awesome! Cool to see how the monster evolved throughout the weeks in your concepts.
Are you going to do some backstory to him/it?

Rock on! :buttrock:

FranciscoAlvarezDelgado
04-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Really awesome concept man. I really like your technique more of a painterly feel to it. I also took a look at your porfolio and you have some really great artwork there, and the way the are rendered is awesome.
I was wondering what software do you use photoshop or painter?, and also what brushes do you prefer?.
I am looking forward to more updates.... cheers!
This guy would translate really well into 3d !

Nadiamoon
04-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see the final illustration

Ferx
04-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Hey Simon,

Really great model sheet! :D For sure you deserve a break (with wine bottle :D) Cheers!! :beer:

PELENG
04-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Looks so great! Good luck, man!

BaronImpossible
04-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Izuael - Thanks, glad you like it. Yep, not the fastest method but still pretty quick without colour (although I don't much like B & W). I did have a backstory but I've decided against it, so at the moment... no :)

FranciscoAlvarezDelgado - Thanks v much! I use Painter X, 99% of the time with a single Artists Oil brush. Occasionally I'll use a small acrylic or chalk for detail or texture but most ot the time it's the same old brush.

Nadiamoon - Cheers, me neither ;)

Ferx - Thanks a lot (wine... mmmm.... )

PELENG - Thanks, you too!

Well, just playing around with ideas for composition, putting off starting the real thing as long as possible (ever heard of something being built up too much? Damn...) And sorry for my very messy WIPs, that's the way I work :)

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4971/compositiontest.jpg

walrus
04-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Really nice looking model sheet, Simon! This is an interesting composition..but I can't help but thinking that I'd like to see him go up against something really fearsome, not just beat down on Norm civilians. Well, I guess they're not civilians if they're using blue magic, but they don't come off as much of a challenge for him. But i know it's just your first test, too. good luck with further exploration! :thumbsup:

rawwad
04-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Nice sketch, like diagonal direction, and legs in front, it gives to image nice space.

BaronImpossible
04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
walrus - Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I was thinking along those lines myself (puny humans) but I couldn't think of a way to get the focus on the main creature without being distracted by whatever foe he was battling. Unless I can think of a way in the next hour or so I'll probably just go with what I've got and beef up the norm's powers somehow.

rawwad - Thanks, glad you like it. I might well go with this composition.

numabrush
04-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Lots of potential for depth in that image, which I like! It looks like he's slamming down his mace, so it'd be awesome if you could create a camera shake sense. ...no idea how lol, but whatever. I'm pretty excited to see your final work, keep going!

BaronImpossible
04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
numabrush - now that would be a challenge, I'll see what I can do :) Thanks!

OK, I'm going with that composition, no point doing it to death, so here's WIP No. 1 plus the colour palette I'll be using. Basically the palette is sort of oil paint base colours and skin tones and that will probably be enough for the whole piece, excepting the odd explosion and wizard fire. The figures are placeholders for the pose as I've no idea what to have them wearing and I can't find any suitable references. More figures to come...

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5711/finalstage01.jpg

daelon
04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
looks so interesting, like how you did the composition... :buttrock:

GregStrangis
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Dude this is definitely going to be a contender for the 10 top when you pull off this comp! Btw sweet that you pretty much use just 1 brush, been trying to learn Corel right now as well its so much fun

BaronImpossible
04-16-2009, 11:57 AM
daelon - Cool, thanks

GregStrangis - Hope so :) Yep, Painter's definitely my favourite

NH
04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I'll keep an eye on your painter wip !
Awesome work as usual !
Keep it up :thumbsup:

BaronImpossible
04-16-2009, 03:28 PM
NH - Thanks, I'll post an update at the weekend

GaeasHerald
04-16-2009, 04:09 PM
You are an inspiration Simon, you truly are. I like this composition very much and i think the norms are the best way to go cause you have to focus on the character rather than the whole scene. Good work!

JRBarton
04-16-2009, 04:10 PM
This is some totaly awesome work you have here!
Great work!!

Shiramune
04-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Really cool approach to the idea man! I love the direction you're going with this one!~Gonna keep an I on this wonderful concept, keep updating! :thumbsup:

StefanoDubay
04-16-2009, 08:59 PM
your watercolor shading technique is awesome, what are you painting in? PS or painter?
thanks
S

BaronImpossible
04-16-2009, 09:32 PM
GaeasHerald - Wow, that's a great compliment, thanks

JRBarton - Cheers, appreciated :)

Shiramune - Glad you like it, cheers!

StefanoDubay - Thanks a lot. I'm using a very wet Artists Oils brush in Painter X

Well, I was going to miss an evening tonight but I had nothing better to do so I blocked in some more colour. A couple more norms, I think, then I'll start defining some form

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5519/finalstage02.jpg

BaronImpossible
04-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, you'll notice that I've hosted my images with ImageShack which is a total piece of ****, so sorry they often don't load :( Maybe try again later...

EDIT: OK, uploaded it to a different IS server, should be OK... for now :o

Ferx
04-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey Simon,

Great, you are in the color land at last ! :D Really cool color palette!!
The composition looks nice, but Im agree with Mike (Walrus) Think you maybe can push the pose for a more dynamic gesture, I dont know, rising front legs and standing on the two back spider legs, that can put a down- up glance to the character, showing the huge size for it, and more fierce and bestial look :D Only a silly comment :) Awesome work so far! Cheers!! :beer: with wine ( I remember from the Uplift Challenge that you prefer wine.. :D)

BaronImpossible
04-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Ferx - Thanks, glad you like it so far. I was thinking of raising the right front leg (its left) but I was a bit concerned that it would create too much space in the upper left. However, being that we need to include some text in there (I think) maybe I could put it there and solve the problem. I'll have a think about that, thanks for the input!

BaronImpossible
04-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Tweaked the compostion a bit, hopefully it's more at-yer now. Started with the detail. Working quite big so no need for detail brush, just use the same one all the way through.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9900/finalstage03.jpg

Detail at 50%
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7631/finalstage03detail.jpg

DanielCortes
04-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Youre a though one to critic, your work is top on the line, sometimes my taste, others not but always good, anyhow I wanted to pass and salute you for you excellent work and beautiful painterly style, if I can get anywhere near what I know yours is going to look like Ill be a happy man. Un abrazo amigo (big hug friend) keep it up. :beer:

Ataulfo
04-18-2009, 10:27 PM
That norms give a lot of dinamism to the image. Great.Maybe some blood will looks good. Only an opinion.Waiting to see more:beer:

BaronImpossible
04-19-2009, 02:00 PM
live2contage - Thanks very much, and keep up the good work! :)

Ataulfo - Cheers, that's what I was after. I might add a splash here or there ;)

More character detailing...

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8586/finalstage06.jpg

GregStrangis
04-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Man your detailing is immense! Lol at that 1 guy getting crushed by his giant hammer, keep up the great work Simon :thumbsup:

ChaosShannon
04-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I like the whole compostion of your work I can not wait to see it finish. It looks like your Demon is enjoying smashing them people? LOL

Dominance WAr IV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158)

yakonusuke
04-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Hey Baron, great work as usual, but I'm honestly a bit disappointed of the lighting in this one,
since it's quite sunny... so happy somehow... it doesn't underline that insane battle going on . I'm sure you won't change anything at this point, but just wanted it to mention.
Anyways it will be great!

BaronImpossible
04-20-2009, 04:30 PM
GregStrangis - Thanks v much :)

ChaosShannon - Cheers!

yakonusuke - Thanks for the comment. I know what you mean about the lighting but I figured there are going to be so many dark images that it needs something different to stand out from the crowd. Hopefully when all the cloud and dust is in there it should look more frenetic.

Anyhow, some beast detailing (although until this forum gets its CSS sorted out I doubt you'll be able to see much against a white background!)

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9779/finalstage07.jpg

QuantumPixel
04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Nice Nice.. love the painterly look .. coming along nice eh. keep it up I think you have some thing really good here.

MR
04-20-2009, 04:54 PM
I really enjoy watching your process.
One thing in your image is distracting me; Your creature and these fire-guys have the same colour. it looks like your character`s fighting his own guys...
keep it up

nellement
04-20-2009, 05:03 PM
whoa killer composition man,really nice sense of motion ,I'm totally in blockade with my entry :banghead:

BaronImpossible
04-21-2009, 09:49 AM
QuantumPixel - Thanks! I'm going to tighten up on the detail later but I'll still keep it looking painterly (I hope!)

MR - Yep, I was thinking the same myself. What I'll probably do later is make some colour changes to the beast to make it stand out more.

nellement - Thanks! Don't worry, lots of time left yet... :)

black-kylin
04-21-2009, 07:24 PM
That's awesome! I like your color palette and composition as well! That's cool!

BaronImpossible
04-21-2009, 07:52 PM
black-kylin - Thanks v much

Anyhows, not much of an update today, too lazy. A bit more body and ground detail, plus a bit larger. Will post a better update at e/o week :)

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2005/finalstage08.jpg

numabrush
04-21-2009, 09:11 PM
I really enjoy the life in the piece. It's coming out great! I also agree with the above post to alter the color scheme of the norms or demon so that they feel more like they are from opposing forces! Keep it up! It's a pleasure to look at!

MartinNielsen
04-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Absolutely brilliant! :thumbsup: Not only did you make a great looking character. You also managed to make a good image out of it :)

Hatonacat
04-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Cool man! That last post is looking really good. Nice composition!

BaronImpossible
04-22-2009, 11:16 AM
numabrush - Cheers! Yep, I'll be sorting out the colour as soon as I've done the first detail pass. I think I'll basically use a more saturated orangy "wash" over the beast to make him stand out more.

MartinNielsen - Thanks a lot :)

Hatonacat - Cheers, appreciated

MrRico
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Great! Your color work is awesome ! and the composition is very dynamic. Great work man

Ricardo

-------

My DWIV entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746170)

FranciscoAlvarezDelgado
04-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey Man thanks a lot for the tip on the software and the brush you use. When I get some time I will see if I can get a copy of Painter and give it a shot. I have always used Photoshop but I know of a lot of people how use painter and get that nice painterly look.
As far as your work goes, excellent man, nice composition, the angle and the fact that there is a lot of movement and action going on. I also like the ligthing but I agree with you that maybe something to make the creature stand out a bit more from the rest of the image is a good idea, his design and look is really cool so I would try and make sure you show him off... I am sure you already noticed all this things but just something. good stuff.
cheers

MR
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
it`s developing great Simon. Some dust where the hammer hits the ground would be cool...
---

It would be nice if you could look in to my threat for a moment and give me some good advices . I`m currently working on the colour scheme and I think you`re the colour-baron...:beer:

BaronImpossible
04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
MrRico - Thanks :)

FranciscoAlvarezDelgado - Cool, glad you like it. Yep, try Painter, it's great when you get to know it.

MR - Thanks, will do

ario
04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Wow! Thats awesome! Very good coloring! The concept is so good too.
Perfect job!
Cheers:
Alireza

ShamesArt
04-23-2009, 11:55 PM
wahhhh ! really amazing, great job mate :thumbsup:

BaronImpossible
04-24-2009, 09:22 PM
ario - Glad you like it, thanks :)

ShamesArt - Thanks!

OK, some more detail and playing with the colour (which is starting to annoy me now)

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1135/finalstage10.jpg

ROBOTTANK
04-24-2009, 09:59 PM
wow dude, this is looking amazing.. I do like these colors, however it's very noticeable that the ground, background, garments on characters, and creature all have the same values on them. Nothing wrong with that, just pointing it out. Is everything on one layer? it kinda seems like it, it'd be cool to see that creature with those green flesh tones in the previous post, leaving the rest in the more brown values as it is now. The creature would pop out more, but whatever man, you have awesome skills, great details as well..

DanielCortes
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
I almost feel annoying giving my little opinion on such an amazing piece :blush: , wow, its so easy for me to look at something that far surpasses my own ability and not even think of what could improve, but Im trying to change that.
Here goes. The first impression I got (besides all the WOW), it gave me the impression that the little people hes fighting take away from his own power. Like if the L.O.T.R (the movie) started off with Sauron fighting a bunch of little hobbits :curious: hmmm bad example, he was fighting little people. Well thats the idea, if maybe one of them would look more powerful (maybe the dead one), I think this would give your amazing monster even more of a menacing feel, like there really is no hope for life. Ill see if I can send my little invoker kid over to help those poor dudes (great hair cut), just dont hit her too hard. All the best, and your stuff is simply an inspiration to my heart, keep it up! :beer:

BaronImpossible
04-25-2009, 10:42 AM
ROBOTTANK - Thanks! Yes, everything's on a single layer - I'm not organised enough to have more than one - if something needs to change then it's time to splodge with a big brush I'm afraid. I've got an idea about the colour and I'll try it out later. Normally I barely give any thought to lighting and colour, it just happens, but this one is proving a little vexing.

live2contage - Not at all, your opinion is very valuable, like all the others people have posted! It's actually what Mike (Walrus) said earlier and yes, it's a good idea. Trouble is that at this stage it would change the composition and possibly unbalance it. I guess people will need to imagine what's going to happen when that rather large warrior dude with an axe arrives and sticks it to the spider demon :)

vikramvr
04-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Fantastic piece, only thing though, as Robotank said, different hues in the atmosphere and creatures might add to your already brilliant work. The easiest way to do this would be to add a layer on top of all the layers, set the mode to colour, and start painting direct colours on it. The colours you pick might appear a fade darker on canvas. So adjusting the levels on your original image will retain your image, with the new hues added to it. Hope this helps. This is just a response for your reply of splodging your image with a big brush. I hope that wouldn't be necessary.

BaronImpossible
04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
vikramvr - Thanks for the comment, and the tip! I'm not big on layers (I'm using Painter so it's just as well) so I half did the extra colour on a colorize layer and the rest manually. Anyway, back to detail next because I'm tired of thinking about this beast's skin tones :)

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1760/finalstage11b.jpg

ROBOTTANK
04-25-2009, 09:44 PM
now the creature really stands out more and the colors separate him from the background. nice use of colors man, it's lookin amazing, I love all the demons in the distance too. you're one bad ass artist dude! so far this is my fav 2D image on this forum..

DanielCortes
04-25-2009, 10:11 PM
oh yes!!! :buttrock: this is really putting peoples ideas into action, I admire that a lot, great work. This puts the door nob real nice and high, and it will keep me pushing for the best quality, thanks! :D

vikramvr
04-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Hi Simon, I did a quick paintover on your image, with the colours I had in mind as soon as I saw your image. It's just my imagination of the colours I would like to see on it. I hope you take it with a grain of salt.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/vikramvr/finalstage11bcopy.jpg

This was done in about 30 mts in photoshop, adding a couple of layers in colour mode, one for the blues and one for the greens so that I have complete control over them.

All said and done, I can never conceive and paint something as brilliant as this. Your portfolio is one of the best I've ever seen.:)

If this is not what you had in mind, take complete pleasure in ignoring it.

Ferx
04-26-2009, 04:06 AM
Hey Simon,

Awesome image !! Totally love the mood and enviroment on it. I think your palette works very well. ( Im a fan and user and totally slave of painter :D, and love to work on one layer and work through the brushes, I totally enjoy that :D ) Again, awesome work and waiting for more updates! Cheers!! :beer: + wine :D

ario
04-26-2009, 05:15 AM
Hey Simon, thanks for the support. I say again: the colors and the characters are great! I really wait for the updates. keep this perfect pallet.:thumbsup:
Cheers:
Alireza

BaronImpossible
04-26-2009, 12:43 PM
ROBOTTANK - Thanks, glad you're liking it

live2contage - Cheers, I try :)

vikramvr - Thanks for that, it's given me a couple of ideas. I do like the moss on the rocks and the ground, I'll certainly give that a go. I also intend to colour the sky a bit more but haven't yet got around to it. Watch this space... :)

Ferx - Thanks for dropping by, appreciated!

ario - Cheers!

BaronImpossible
04-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, I think that's the colours done (vikramvr - thanks for the moss idea although I did it the long way round, no layers :D ). Just detail work left now - ah, the end is in sight :)

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/820/finalstage12.jpg

BaronImpossible
04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
And some more detail... Next update will be the last *sigh*

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/958/finalstage12a.jpg

jushra
04-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Watching this all come together has been a trip. My only crit at this point would be that the figure in the foreground is too close to center, but its very minor. As everyone already said, really amazing work.

Tedskis
04-26-2009, 08:54 PM
very cool! I look forward to seeing your finnished piece. you seem to paint very fast, I was wondering how much time you spend on this piece every day?

Phill99
04-27-2009, 01:32 AM
WOW! very impressive. I'm jealous of your amazing skills. Cant wait to see the final image!

GaeasHerald
04-27-2009, 02:26 AM
You don't use layers mate? I wouldn't know what to do without them! I'm guessing you have a strong (and surely very impressive) traditional media background, cause your brushstrokes and pallette are so confident. It's sad that you're already finishing cause watching your progress is always a learning experince for us mere mortals, but all good things must come to an end sometime. :cry:
Congratulations Simon!

BaronImpossible
04-27-2009, 08:11 AM
jushra - Thanks! That's a good point about the figure, never really noticed before, but I think he'll have to stay there now :)

Tedskis - Really? I think I paint slow but I guess it's all relative :) Time spent? Well, on average I think I did about two hours for each WIP stage so far so maybe 20 or 25 hours so far on the main image. Thanks for dropping by.

Phill99 - Thanks, although I've still a lot of stuff to learn - I've made quite a few mistakes in this one and I'm never really satisfied with the finished product. All part of the process!

GaeasHerald - Heh, thanks very much. Actually... I don't have any art background prior to digital, I only wish I did. I suppose the reason I don't use layers is to maintain the painterly approach so that the result doesn't appear too clean and "digital" looking. I know other people manage to do this and use layers too but I prefer to do it all on one canvas. Having said that, I do sometimes use layers for general character positioning initially although I'll always flatten them before I start painting.

AlienKing
04-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Oh crap....i'm depressed now...that work...simply amazing...gotta pick myself up quickly n work harder... . :) Anyway, awesome work, like the composition alot.

nellement
04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Piece of art :bowdown:

beelow
04-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Jesus! You never disappoint Simon congrats on finishing the painting! Wait you not done yet! Looks promising though!

BaronImpossible
04-27-2009, 03:28 PM
AlienKing - Thanks a lot, glad you like it!

nellement - Cheers :)

beelow - Hello there Bryce, thanks for dropping by. Yep, a bit of tidying up to do - and some text - and it'll be done. Thanks goodness...

numabrush
04-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey man! Looks great!

Don't forget to ground his front left leg. (the leg on the right side of the picture) Right now its got no shadow which makes it seem like its a little disconnected from the background, or floating off the ground. Do you know what I mean?

I love it!

BaronImpossible
04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
numabrush - Glad you like it, cheers. His front leg is actually meant to be in the air! I tried blurring the tip a bit but maybe that hasn't worked. I'll try to think of something else :D

Gyorkland
04-27-2009, 06:59 PM
This is looking awesome, the perspective, the color the action, WOW, this is front page material. but you might wanna stick the front right leg on the ground just a little.

BaronImpossible
04-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Gyorkland - thanks, appreciated! I've blurred the leg a bit more so hopefully it looks more comin-at-ya-face than it did before. Or maybe not.

Still, that's all it's getting so I'm considering it done. I could mess about with detail for ages but I think enough's enough, so... hope you like it, and thanks to everyone who came up with great suggestions :thumbsup:

I've posted a little smaller here than I'm submitting. And if anyone's interested the original's 6000px.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6200/finalwithtext.jpg

ROBOTTANK
04-27-2009, 08:22 PM
what an excellent result dude! thanks for all the inspiration and all the WIP's, I learned a lot from observing them. good luck (I'm sure you'll receive a great ranking).

Gyorkland
04-27-2009, 08:25 PM
ohh I get it the leg is actually in the air right? well anyway is amazing congratulations you are now free so why you dont you spread your wisdom helping the other contestants? and why dont you start with me? jejeje, but really man I really need some crit right now I just posted something and it would be nice if you could check it out please I am running out of time here.:scream:,
I explain the image a little bit on page 2 thanks.

daelon
04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
hey looks pretty nice concept like a mutant monster...

Ataulfo
04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Awesome image.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That will be one of the best, sure.

Bartoldi
04-27-2009, 11:10 PM
absolutely fantastic work !

congrats :)

ario
04-28-2009, 05:39 AM
Awesome piece! No one can escape from the Evil Eye!:buttrock:
Perfect illustration. Coloring and composition are great.
Cheers:
Alireza

BaronImpossible
04-28-2009, 10:14 AM
ROBOTTANK - Thanks v much!

Gyorkland - Done that - hope it helps :)

daelon - Cheers

Ataulfo - Here's hoping, thanks

Bartoldi - Thanks v much

ario - Thanks, glad you like it

Just remembered I need to do some sort of bizarre sheet with text on it. Quite what it anybody's guess but this is a sort of note to myself not to forget.

Ferx
04-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey Simon,

Congrats on your final image. Superb work like always :D Great and solid concept. Like a lot all the great action and enviroment on it. You deserve a big bottle of wine.... and a lot of tequila shots :D Cheers!! :beer:
P.S. congrats for your prize on surreal challenge :D another tequila bottle for you!! :beer:

BaronImpossible
04-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Ferx - Thanks X 2! What with all that booze, I picked a great year to give up drinking :)