PDA

View Full Version : DWIV-2D-Gaeasherald-Abyssal Siren

GaeasHerald
03-15-2009, 08:53 PM
War is upon us! This theme is superb, and for me the demon part really calls out for some Lovecraft. My goal is to create a seductive yet grotesque mermaid-demon-princess, which will be a bit tricky.... :curious:

Anyway, lets all have fun and learn tons.
best of luck to everybody!

FINALS:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/text.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/AS_concept-sheet.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/AS_modeling-sheet.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/AS_final-illustration-1.jpg

Intervain
03-15-2009, 09:05 PM
just checked out your folio and it's really magical - looking forward to your work!

GaeasHerald
03-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Thx Intervain. Are you joining the callenge? Hope you do :)

Well, it's time for my first crappish sketch. The idea is some sort of mermaid-temptress with a Lovecraft-looking rear end. She's a demon princess that uses her darkness-power to disguise her nasty side and lure inocent victims into her deadly trap. Half siren, half squid/snail/lobster.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/sketch1.jpg

This girl has a lot of junk in her trunk....

anav_83
03-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Cool concept! Can't wait to see how you develop it :thumbsup:

Titan
03-16-2009, 05:18 AM
totally twisted man....what would be her weapon?

ahmedadel0077
03-16-2009, 05:41 AM
i like the design ,keep it up :buttrock:

mrpeace
03-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Amzing woman...very amusing...love to see more sketches...Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Donglu-LittleFish
03-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Cool concept, really like it!

GaeasHerald
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
anav_83, Titan, artistcg, mrpeace and Donglu many thanks for your comments. About her weapon, I've been thinking and I guess a concealed dagger would be the best fit. Any larger weapon would just not go with the idea of the character (more luring and backstabbing rather than frontal combat).

Heres another wip with a bit more shadding:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/siren2.jpg

A bit more on the concept: the squid/lobster part, instead of throwing ink throws a cloud of darkness that hides her monstrous side. So, her victims only see a beautiful siren with a sweet voice that entices them to get near, just within the grasp of her deadly tentacles.

Right now I'm starting on a close-up portrait of her mermaid side, so that you guys see how seductive I want her to be.
So back to sketching for me!

Gyorkland
03-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Looking great, the concept is very unique
is so nice to see more great latin talent around.

Intervain
03-16-2009, 08:03 PM
great concept - very original!

haven't made up my mind yet :D

BaronImpossible
03-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah! Excellent concept and great first sketch.

GregStrangis
03-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Whoa! That is wicked already Herald! Can't wait to see how seductive you make her look =)

Seven
03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Very unique, absolutely love the eye under the shell. Look forward to seeing more!

inqy
03-16-2009, 11:35 PM
That's lovely and creepy! She flows so well.

ersinerturk
03-16-2009, 11:45 PM
this creature is very original!

GaeasHerald
03-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Gyorkland: Aguanten los Sudacas nomás! Thx for dropping by bro.

Intervain: You should definetly join, your portfolio is topnotch. CGsociety needs you!
BaronImpossible: Major ego-booster that you posted here. :bowdown:Really made my day.

GregStrangis: thanks mate. The seductive siren theme can only bring Amy Lee to my mind. So that's how her portrait is turning out, only with mermaid features... Hope I do her justice...

Seven: Yep, she has 4 pairs of eyes in total. What kind of lousy demon hasn't? jajajaja Comment much appreciated my friend. With some luck I'll finish her close-up by tomorow's night (local time, meaning 24 hs from now approx...)

inqy: glad you liked it. CYA around :)

ersinerturk: support very welcomed, thx

NeverGiu
03-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Hey guy!

Nice starting, Beautiful idea!

And good texture performance!

Crix Dorius
03-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Creepy... very creepy... love it. :love:

Ferx
03-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Hey Gerardo,

Really great sketches my friend, and cool concept, I like a lot :D The skulls on the shell is a really great touch! :buttrock: Can't wait to see more updates on your amazing concept! Cheers my friend! :beer:

adriendebos
03-17-2009, 09:07 AM
That's a pretty cool idea, and I love mermaids ;)

MartinNielsen
03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Very nice drawing :) You blend the curves nicely together.

SebastianWunnicke
03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
great concept, but perhaps she would be cooler without the big octopus eyey in her back section, in my opinion they catch to much attention. I want to make an evil deepsea creature too, a bit inspired by the lovecraft moonbeast, with a lot of tentacles instead of his face, perhaps we can help each other and share some ideas. good luck on the competition

JacquesPena
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Judging by your concept your idea is very imaginative and very unique, wonderful creature imo.

Vindicate
03-17-2009, 07:01 PM
great concept..! as some1 said earlier, this is a very unique character

Titan
03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
dude Im really liking this...!!

GaeasHerald
03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Wow Lots of commnts! Gotta thank everybody for your support!
Titan; vindicate, sleepinglion, Martin, adriendebos, Crix Dorius, NeverGiu, thank you all for your kind comments. :love:

Ferx: Fernando, your comments are always precious man. Cheers (and tequila shots!)

SebastianWunnicke: At your service bro! Your concept is looking good. Cthulian critters rule!

I'm almost done with the portrait, but in the meantime, I remembered reading in the General Discusion thread something about adding a lobster in every cgsociety entry, as some sort of a joke.
Here's a little quickscketch of a cranky lobster minion.... Shrimpy

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/shrimpy.jpg

lobster/chicken thingy, with some reminiscence of Baronimpossible's parasite (hope you don´t mind Simon)

GregStrangis
03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Haha he looks cool, I don't think I would to eat him tho, where is this picture of her portrait :scream:

GaeasHerald
03-18-2009, 03:35 AM
It's here Greg, finally! Yey!

reference:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/AmyLee9.jpg
siren:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/siren-portrait.jpg

I love my wacom, but nothing beats the good old pencil!

Nethermind
03-18-2009, 04:02 AM
Love your concepts so far.

Amy Lee is going to have my babies someday btw..

GregStrangis
03-18-2009, 04:44 AM
Hey Herald, beautiful shading on the portrait, but her head seems a little big judging by her shoulder, the crest in the middle of her head I think would also look better if it were up higher?? So not to distract from her face. I hope that helps man :thumbsup:

Belindi
03-18-2009, 05:06 AM
wow, what a great start! like everyone else has already mentioned, great concept and detail so far. It reminds me of the angler fish that uses an attractive lure to draw little fishes to their doom, while what lurks beneath (its true form) is a hideous monstrosity.

Love the portrait too, but I agree with gregstangis that the crest should be a little bit higher, with some details, to not dominate and drown out the fine features of her face so much.

Will the she have a split personality? one being the monster and the other the woman? It'd be quite interesting to see the 'soul' of the demon in the monster part, whereas the woman is just a lifeless form that's manipulated to lure people. maybe that's too lovecraft, and not enough Dominance war-esque though.

QuantumPixel
03-18-2009, 05:40 AM
Nice man I love your style. Good idea and good execution.

RaresH
03-18-2009, 06:08 AM
You did pick a challenging idea indeed. It's always tricky when combining the grotesque with the alluring. You want to hint at the the beast within but not so much as to betray the beauty without. The best of luck to you.

DoomedSeraph
03-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Yet another brilliant idea. Very much in keeping with the demons, you can see her intent and purpose right from the word go.

GaeasHerald
03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Nethermind: THX man. About Amy, keep dreaming dude, she would never cheat on me :p

GregStrangis: great advice Greg, I'll keep that in mind :)

Belindi: bingo! I coudn't have said it in better words. Yep, the mermaid is just another limb, the true essence is in the monster behind. I'll see if I can scketch sth to get that across. Thanks for dropping by.

QuantumPixel: big compliment, thanks a lot.

RaresH: i'll do my best to show that dichotomy properly. Good luck to you too!

DoomedSeraph: demons are an amazing topic, and Lovecraft inspired critters are too good to pass by. :bounce:

wenart
03-18-2009, 05:57 PM
I love the siren design, so originall :D
I like the shrimpy design too :)

GaeasHerald
03-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Wenart: cool mate, here's another shrimpy wip:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/shrimpy2.jpg

I think he deserves some words now. Shrimpy is a weird spawn from a chicken and a lobster. This unnatural union produced a bad humored little creature that nobody liked (not even his parents), until the siren took pitty on him and welcomed him under her wing (or tentacle for that matter). Shrimpy always thought that the siren's modified tentacle with human form was absolutely disgusting, but the back side was buttilicious! So he follows her everywhere as her loyal sidekick, and is inmune to her charm because he's the only one to be in love with her monster side.

Well, back to something serious, I've been trying to put the siren into perspective which is kinda hard, cause it's a big and complex creature, and I want to show it in its entirety, and not have one part occlude another. Sop, this is what I've come up with:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/siren-2.jpg

If you guys approve, i'll get on to shading it.

C&C most welcomed.

inqy
03-19-2009, 03:22 AM
Heyo, definitely a hard character to turn, I could imagine.

I like how you were able to keep the eye in there despite the perspective, though I wonder what she would look like completely head-on. I also think maybe her humanoid shape needs to be a bit more curved around the hips/waist, she seems a little stiff there in comparison to the flowing motions of everything else.

All in all good job turning a detailed character. Looking forward to seeing it shaded.

madbot
03-19-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm a big fan of Lovecraft myself. I love what you are doing so far, the concept behind it is classic horror. Looking forward to see what comes next.

bangbangteng
03-19-2009, 08:26 PM
I'd put some more work into the general sexiness of the siren... "What's my standard" you ask?

I don't quite want to break the mast of my ship to grope her yet...

Ferx
03-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey Gerardo,

Really cool updates :D The lobster-chicken is great! hahahahaha , cool :D Shrimpy can be a great pet for your character :D

The design for the character looks really well :buttrock: . THink you need to go for a more dynamic and "agresive" pose, and attacking pose, maybe you can try some "S compositions", can help to show all character. Again, really fantastic work! Cheers my friend! :beer: + shrimpy ( good combination... :D)

Ataulfo
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi Gerardo,

Nice to see you here. Good sketches.Your first sketch is really great.
keep it up dude:beer:

FrozZT
03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey man! Great idea.. The only thing i could think of is that those shapes on its back are very even with no variation, maybe alittle bit to repetetive. Doesnt have to be much, but now the shapes and also the distance between them is same same. Very nice start! Keep it up!

-Niklas

mporter
03-20-2009, 11:35 AM
hi gaeasherald

thanks for the comments, i really like ur concept it reminds me of the angler fish beautiful lure but deadly underneath. the side profile drawing look really nice.

Akiman
03-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Hello Gaea;:wavey:

Lovely concept and very nice shadings u have there!

As for the last picture and critics;

I don't approve :sad:
''Well, back to something serious, I've been trying to put the siren into perspective which is kinda hard, cause it's a big and complex creature, and I want to show it in its entirety, and not have one part occlude another. Sop, this is what I've come up with:''

If u don't occlude parts, perspective will look wrong, if perspective look wrong, it'll affect you're overall image so we don't want that :). For example; Shell's thickness gone and muscles go inside while you trying to show the eye. You can try to show the shell more side of the view. Don't mind showing parts...That's why we do 3 side drawings :D.

Good luck!:beer:

Abrvpt
03-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Nice concept ! The only thing i should crit is the element on the nose, it lacks a bit of elegance... And the likeness with Amy Lee needs some work (if you want a likeness). Be careful on the shapes of the lips, the shape of the eyes... This is very important in the likeness.

Keep going !

neobear
03-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Very nice idea! and original. I love you third sketch, very fluid lines. I'm waiting the next ^^

GaeasHerald
03-20-2009, 08:27 PM
inqy: hi there, well the frontal view is coming for the modeling sheet, but it's gonna take a while. Cheers.

madbot: lovecraft rules! thanks for the opinion.

bangbangteng: more sexy, got it!

Ferx: the attacking pose will be in the final image. The mermaid tempting a poor dude while the tentacles are warping around him. And yep, shrimpy and boose get along well :)
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/shrimpcocktail.jpg

Ataulfo: muchas gracias che!

FrozZT: totally right, but I'm too lazy to add variation. I know, I'm a slacker :blush:. Thx for dropping by and congrats on your wondeful entry.

mporter: hi, good to see you here. Comments appreciatted.

Akiman: very sound advice man. By the time I read your post I was almost done with the shadding though. Hope it regains some of it 3D-ness. I'll be more careful with perspective next time. :wavey:

Abrvpt: Right, the nose piece is crap. I'm removing it alltogether. I wasn't aiming for resemblance with Amy rather than capturing that piercing look in her eyes. Thanks for your C&C.

neobear: well, here it is:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/sirensketch-persp.jpg

A few more sketches and I'll be starting with the modeling sheet. CYA!

GregStrangis
03-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey Herald, Love the shading on your latest sketch, 1 thing that is bothering me with her is she looks very flat around her torso, throw a bunch of curves in there, don't be afraid to put a few pounds on her ;) Can't wait to see you take this through to the painting stages!

PS- I am going with the slug idea for Abbadon, be sure to check em out some time tomorrow when I post up his Final Final design haha!

niva
03-21-2009, 08:58 AM
This is a good drawing, I liked your design steps.

For critique I think you should adjust the torso too, in particular pay close attention to how you've modeled her shoulders/arms, the neck and also the face. Right now the head is tilted to the side, try to cut out the rectangle with her humanoid parts and place it so that the shoulders are horizontal then flip horizontal and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Good luck!

birdman03
03-21-2009, 02:46 PM
i feel that the focus now is on the girl~ i like the origin better,just like the girl is a bait~nut it looks like the girl control the shell creature now,hehe~just personal feeling

good concept!~cheers!

FelixAndc
03-21-2009, 04:46 PM
excelente estare atento .. suerte

GaeasHerald
03-22-2009, 05:39 AM
GregStrangis: everybody asks for more boobs, lol. Gotta give in to the popular demand....

niva: you're so right. Her head would have had to be dislocated to be in that position. Fixing that. Many thanks bro.:bowdown:

birdman03: i see what you mean. I guess the problem is that the big eye seems to be focused on the girl, and that takes away from its personality. For the final piece I intend to have a "prey" mesmerized by the girl, and the eye focusing on him. Maybe that will help? Your opinion in that matter is precisely what I needed.

elixAndc: dale, el talento latino siempre es bienvenido.

And now a small update, a revamped version of the previous post. More textures, fixed shadding and a proper head :blush::

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/sirensketch-persp2.jpg

GregStrangis
03-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Hey Herald, the new face looks much better then the previous one, I understand about the boob thing haha, you plan on doing the final sketch on paper or on the computer before coloring??

ShogunWarrior
03-22-2009, 06:13 AM
wow you are really talented, this is really good stuff, can't wait to see this completed.. gl.

Innate
03-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Hey GaeasHerald, looks like you have some good progress coming along here. Hope you don't mind me giving my two-cents. IMO, I think you should open up the eyes. Eyes can be a very intense and seductive trait. (She looks like she may be falling asleep otherwise)

The eye of the monster, while well rendered, seems almost too cartoony or too human. What if you tried using like and octopus eye or some sort of sea creatures to help push the menacing nature of it? Maybe you could, instead of an eye, put some sort of disgusting mouth to create a dichotomy between danger and beauty. Mouths can be pretty creepy and scary.

The “horn” on her head seems to be lacking in some way, almost a little like a head-sock. If you want to push the seductiveness, I would create some sort of element that is fuller. It doesn’t have to be a full head of hair but maybe an ornate horn/fin. Or if you want to still have and singular thing coming off her head maybe have a tentacle, like a continuation of the one she is a part of. You could have it wrapped around her neck like a mink fur or scarf.

I hope some of that is helpful and too harsh.

Here’s a link to some good anatomy reference material for mermaid poses. I hope it’s helpful too. (Warning Nudity)

http://lockstock.deviantart.com/art/Mermaid-pack-2-29862631

Akiman
03-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Heya Gaea :)

An accessory behind girls back maybe a nice idea :D but still i don't really think its a real issue.

My only critic is for the anatomy; Her right shoulder is down for the arm is high. Shoulder should be do a circular upside move and move closer to neck.

But it doesn't affects you're design but it helps you in general process :)

BaronImpossible
03-22-2009, 01:14 PM
It's looking great - cool creature - but I have to agree with birdman in that it looks like the woman is controlling the beast rather than the other way around. Trouble is it's difficult to say what to do about that. I suppose I would make the woman less human, with features represented by colour changes in the scales, etc. but I guess that's easier said than done. Perhaps in the final version, if the creature is hiding behind something or whatever, it'll be easier to see. Nice work.

OKMER
03-22-2009, 08:47 PM
I think the woman might need some more work.
Her head and body(hips, shoulders) are all going in the same way/perspectif which for my feeling makes her feel a bit stiff.
In post 48 her head is in another direction as the rest of her body which to my feeling made it more dynamic/alive..
Maybe if you put her shoulders in another angle as her hips & head, this could give a bit more dynamics.
Anyway realy Great Work!!! and keep m coming!
Good luck and all the fun!

GaeasHerald
03-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Wow, lots of useful critisicim, I'll see if I my brain can process it all :D.

GregStrangis: computer I guess, or maybe a bit of both. dunno yet :)

ShogunWarrior: thanks man, are U participating form the main event? After that cool general from the miniDW I think you should!

Innate: very helpful comment, I really appreciatte it that you took the time to write all that feedback. Let me see if i can answer it all... Yes, the girls eyes need to be open, i'll keep that in mind. THe creatures eye.... hmm... I'll try to make it less cartoony you're right, but I still want it to look human. The idea is that it's quite shocking to find sth so familiar and recognizeable in a such a weird creature. I also find it easier to get emotions across that way. About the thing coming out of her head, I like the idea of a tentacle wrapping around her neck as a scarf. I'll check that link out. A MILLION THANKS!!!

Akiman: right, it's all wrong. Shoulders are my enemies you know?

BaronImpossible: Simon, I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to do that man. It's like making two creatures at the same time, with distinct personalities, but that are in fact the same creature (so that noone is controling the other really) and the brain behind it all is in the squid.... It's a lot of information to put into a still image. I guess the right way to go is to make it so ambiguous that each viewer can choose who he/she thinks is in charge. Anyway, liked to hear your opinion and your suggestions are very very interesting.

OKMER: My general! Have you decided to join in and lead us into battle sir? CGS needs you (we should have a poster of some sort of Uncle Sam dressed in reds and greys pointing his finger at us and saying that) Yep, she's stiff, gotta fix that in newer scketches. All the fun to you too mate!

GaeasHerald
03-24-2009, 05:34 AM
Hi guys, been working a bit on this character, and decided to start the modeling sheet. I've already got the rough idea of how I want her to look, and my biggest issue is finding the right pose. So i'll give the modeling sheet a go, and when its done I'll get back to sketches and try to find a nice angle and feel for the final piece.

Recycled the first sketch and started working on front and back views:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/modeling1.jpg

The front and back view will have to be cut into two halves to show everything properly. Mermaid halves will come soon.

BTW, I wanted to share with you guys this thing I've been using for "reference":

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/P3230595.jpg

Its an abstract sculpture I carved back in highschool, and the curves and translucency it has are an interesting source of inspiration. See if you find the similarities... :)

C&C most welcomed.

nellement
03-24-2009, 11:52 AM
wow thats awesome I love those lines with sculls on the back,silhouette is great too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sepulverture
03-24-2009, 11:58 AM
This sketch is turning out nice and creepy. Cool stuff.

BaronImpossible
03-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I think the latest concept (side view) is better because the "woman" appears smaller and so looks like part of the bigger creature. I think the success of the final image will be how you position the creature. You clearly have the technical skills, it's just a case of getting the composition down, with maybe the "woman" in full view and strongly lit with the main beast lurking in the shadows, maybe part camouflaged with a sly look in its eye.

Here's an example - Bobby Chiu's Bunny Eater, where the monster blends in with the jungle. Obviously the style's different but it's a similar concept - http://www.imaginismstudios.com/round2/wp-content/gallery/bobby/big-bad-bunny-eater-art.jpg

CharlesVarenne
03-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey dude,
Completly agree with BaronImpossible. Your last sketch is so much nicer than the other picture. The render, the details etc... I think the posing and the composition on the picture front view is flattening everything and you lose completly the overall shape idea of the character.

Nice design though. Looks good!

Stutts
03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Nice work man! Can't wait to see more!

GregStrangis
03-24-2009, 04:15 PM
I love her silhouette from the side man, its so dynamic! The back looks awesome as well. When do you think you are going to start color?

Ferx
03-25-2009, 04:17 AM
Hey Gerardo,

Cool updates my friend!! Like a lot the cloth design, great!. I´m agree with the perspective and composition issue, but I´m totally sure that you will found a nice composition, dont worry :D Simon make a really good suggestion, and that reference image can help to your concept for sure.
Working on the model sheet for now is a wise decision :D and is looking really nice! Keep the great work!! and waiting for more updates! Cheers my friend!! :beer:

ShogunWarrior
03-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi there, your model sheet looks great and Its perfect in every angel.. Can't wait to see the final product! take care for now.

Akiman
03-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Model sheet progressing excellent! Keep it up!

g3p
03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
interesant idea, beautiful char and good render. i like it!
congratulations.

GaeasHerald
03-26-2009, 06:03 AM
Hi guys, thanks for all the words of encouragement and feedback. I'll have to take a few days off of this cause I'm about to finish my career and I gotta get done with my final report, which I've been neglecting :argh:....

Anyway....

nellement: thanks man, yeah one can't call oneself a demon without skulls, right?

Sepulverture: Glad you liked it. Cheers!

BaronImpossible: Simon, you're full of useful advice and a really appreciatte all the imput you've given me :) And to be even remotely compared with Bobby Chiu is a great compliment! That's just the kind of feel I aiming at, with different style of course.

CharlesVarenne: thanks dude, and yep, posing of the character is complicated. Trying to show specific elements, getting the right feel and not losing the proportions in the way is my biggest challenge for this one!

Stutts: OK mate, I'll do my best to post soon, but it may take a while. Thanks for dropping by.

GregStrangis: Happy you approve Greg, you've been very supportive and I thank you tons for that. I'm pushing the coloring phase forward, cause I always tend to rush into it with poor results. I think I'll go for a blueish background, a warm orange main light and some purple accents, but it's still to early to know :rolleyes:.

Ferx: Gracias Fernando! Hey man, I can't wait to see more of your updates. Don't keep us waiting!

ShogunWarrior: Thanks a lot, I'll try not to dissappoint U.

Akiman: Much appreciatted. Cya around man.

g3p: Super! Hope you like the wips to come too!

GaeasHerald
03-28-2009, 04:26 AM
OK, I know I said I was gonna take some days off, but I'm weak and gave into temptation :hmm:
Sop, here's a small update:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/modeling-2.jpg
At this rate, I'm never gonna get my degree...

Ferx
03-28-2009, 04:46 AM
Hey Gerardo,

You are advancing a lot with the model sheet, more free time for the final composition and painting :D Cheers!! :beer:

GregStrangis
03-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Ahh man this desing just flows so nicely! Love the backend with all the skulls! I think her left breast is smaller then her right tho....;)

Hatonacat
03-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Nice! This is looking good.

Ataulfo
03-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Gerardo,

Great stuff. I like a lot the last sketch.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
keep it up, dude :beer:

patdunal
03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Amazing concept, amazing illustration. Can't wait!

GaeasHerald
03-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Ferx: you caught me! Yep I'm trying to get the most time for the final piece. Cheers mate!:beer:

GregStrangis: LOL, yeah she has a deflated boob :argh:, that's not very seductive right? I'll try to fix it.

Hatonacat: thanks a lot!

Ataulfo: wow, two tumbs up! Muchas gracias Ivan!

patdunal: thanks. Nice to see someone who's going the same direction as me. Good luck!

Another small update, the modeling sheet is almost finished. Maybe I'll add some close-ups in the bottom corner, but this is basically it. Hope you like it!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/modeling3.jpg

adriendebos
03-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Looking awesome man! I love abyssal mermaids! ;)

Ferx
04-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Hey Gerardo,

Really great model sheet, looks preaty awesome!! Cheers my friend! :beer:

DanielCortes
04-01-2009, 12:44 PM
You look almost done, anything ells would almost over saturate it. One little thing, totally personal, I'm not super into the things hanging off her horn, but the rest is looking tight, keep it up!

Hexahedron
04-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Gaeas, that model sheet looks sweet man!

Cheers pal

:beer:

GaeasHerald
04-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi guys, I've been quite busy with my neverending report and haven't been able to work on this much.....:sad:

adriendebos: wow, what an honor! The original abyssal mermarid DW medalist, I'm so glad you found this entry. If my character is a tenth as good as yours I can consider myself lucky. Thanks for dropping by.

Ferx: hey Fernando, thanks for your comments man. I tried to get done with the modeling sheet pretty fast, so that I can use it as self reference to properly pose the character. It may still need a few adjustments, but for the time being it'll have to do. CYA mate.

live2contage: thanks dude, and yeah the things hanging from her horn probably need more work. It's just that they are so small compared to the rest of the character that I dont know if it's worth it. I'll see if I can improve it if I get some spare time :)

Hexahedron: thanks man and good luck with your lady/monster!

Well, managed to work a few minutes on this and made a quick perspective study of the siren. Added a little stick figure-dude to see how much it would occlude, but now I'm thinking of adding more than one other character as prey. We'll see how that works out....

Not really concerned about the pose yet, just trying to figure out the right angle. Tried a birds eye perspective, but it doesn't really work for me. Next I'll go for a 2 point perspective, and after that a frog perspective, which I think will be the right one.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/perspective-1.jpg
The red eye on the corner represents the next angle to be tried out. I promise to make a proper sketch next time.

C&C welcomed.

MrRico
04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi,
great approach to a siren design! I guess the color will reinforce the design.
Keep teh good work!
Best

Ricardo Contreras
----------------
my DWIV thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746170)

namnocilis
04-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Great concept and Character design! Great Model sheet! everything about it is great!
inspite of checking most of the threads, i happened to miss this awesome thread :banghead:
i really admire your ability to draw the character from different angles.. wow! you rock! :buttrock: looking forward for more updates..

Ataulfo
04-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi dude,

You are doing a great work here. Cant wait to see the color palette. I know that you use very well the colors.:buttrock:

Keep it up:beer:

GaeasHerald
04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
MrRico, Ataulfo: Thank you guys for the support. I'm aching to do some color, but I'll have to work on the pose and perspective first. :sad: Hopefully next week I'll begin colouring.

namnocilis: dude I totally know how crazy this challenge is, and the sheer amount of posts per day is overwhelming.:eek: Sorry to have missed your thread too, but its never to late to catch up, right? Cya my friend!
somewhat better. I've figured out the angle I want for the siren, and I'm starting to explore the posing and feel of the scene. Not sure yet what the relative size to the other characters (prey) is, whether she should be bigger or smaller, or same size. What do you guys think?

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/sketch2.jpg

and this is a little study of the perspective:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/lattice.jpg

As always, C&C are most welcomed.

MarianneM
04-05-2009, 09:23 PM
This is exciting! Intricate and mysterious creature... And I have a thing for sirens/mermaids
Awesome

BaronImpossible
04-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I like the design but I think the beast's body needs to be larger and meatier and slimier and altogether more disgusting. I love the perspective view in #85 and I think the comparitive size of the characters is about right there too. Also, I don't think she should be wearing clothes (yeah, I would say that!) I reckon with a bit of creative posing you can avoid showing anything 18-rated and it would appear more like she's a part of the creature rather than someone who's been captured. Mmm, greasy naked tentacle women...

GaeasHerald
04-06-2009, 05:41 PM
MarianneM: Thanks a lot. Yeah, mermaids are fascinating.

BaronImpossible: greasy naked tentacle women?!?!?!?!? That sounds like cephalopod-porn :rolleyes:! I agree, the creature must look more disgusting and the girl more erotic (oh my!). I thought she could be teasing her prey with her bra o something, but I gotta keep it PG13 tho....
Lots of thanks for all the input.

GaeasHerald
04-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Well, to hell with the PG rating, I'm showing her boobs! :drool: I'm not even going to worry about making a strange pose to hide them, I gotta give people what they've been asking for:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/poses.jpg

I want to pick one for the final picture and another for the concept sheet, which one do you guys prefer? I kinda like D cause it helps tell the story, and is the closest I can get to the Lovecraft inspiration behind this concept.
All feedback is appreciatted!

ChaosShannon
04-08-2009, 04:23 AM
thanks for the comment will do that and I like the choice of d to. Like the way its coming along this is much harder for me than the mini challenge was, but I will differently keep in mind the comments you made.

GregStrangis
04-08-2009, 04:35 AM
D and B! I am glad you decided to show boobs. Man when are you starting some color! :drool:

KtfFang
04-08-2009, 05:22 AM
yeah I'm glad you decided to show boobs too. Makes it more believable as a monster. I'm not sure about giving the creature part eyes though. Because then it looks like 2 creatures combined. If the monster suppose to be a hermit crab thing, maybe makes the mass of the shell bigger or the body more stretched out so that it would look possible for it to retreat inside the shell?

Anyway it's a sweet design, mate and I'm sure it will turn out great!

GaeasHerald
04-09-2009, 05:16 AM
ChaosShannon: at your service man. Just don't get stressed and enjoy the ride. BTW, you should add the link to your thread in your signature, so it's easier to find you. :)

GregStrangis: You know what they say: boobs are a mans best friend! lol I can't wait to start coloring, but first I have to get the linedrawing done, do some value studies and only then begin the coloring. It has taken me a while, but I finally realised that taking the time in the initial phases really pays off. I'll let you know when it begins :)

KtfFang: I see, if one wants to be successful in this business one has to show boobs. You're right, the monster wasn't believable without them. About the eye thing, think of it as if the girls eyes were just for aesthetic pusposes, to fool the prey. The real creature is the monster behind.

Well, the concept sheet is done, just shaded de girl poses and added some variation to them (pose and lighting). Here's the end result:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/concept-sheet.jpg

DanielCortes
04-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Lovecraft all the way man, just don’t get kicked out, because of all the nudity bull… I like how everything is going, but you do have one major challenge in front of you. From what I gather her weapon is seduction right (or is that the squids? bastard eats all the good food :twisted: ), anyhow I think she need more beauty, there has to be something enchanting about her gaze. When drawing woman, the face can make or break the whole thing, I don’t even bother, to hard for now. It’s going to be a real challenge but that’s good, and I’m sure you’ll get her looks so good she’ll keep that lazy squid fat and happy for all his days. Thanks for dropping by, un dia nos juntamos a tomar un mate, dale che. :beer:

GaeasHerald
04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
live2contage: dale Daniel, sale mateada abrileña. Debería haber un smiley tomando mate, en vez del beerchug. About the face, yep its gonna be a challenge, particulary because it's relatively small compared to the rest of the creature. Getting the expresion right is very important. Oh, and don't worry about the breasts, I've seen plenty of ther entries with boobs showing, and it doesn't seem to be to much of a deal. :drool: Que andes bien!

Well, I've begun the lineart for the final image, I still don't know if the setting is going to be a forest, or an inner courtyard from a hidden city, or next to a doorway/entrance, o who knows what. But the general idea is that the siren is luring some elven guards and breaking into a magic-protected norm-elvish city. One guard is already dead, and the other is being drawn to her like flies to honey.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/lineart.jpg

It may look a bit messy ATM, but with colour and atmospheric perspective everything should read better.

Any input, comment or crit is highly appreciatted!

Stutts
04-10-2009, 06:38 PM
looking good man can't wait for the colors! :thumbsup:

g3p
04-10-2009, 07:06 PM
is ... nothing like a "woman" and their power of seduction ... is practically a sucubus ... a mermaid out of the sea, interesting ... I wonder what will compose the background ... very good! I will be waiting in the news.

GaeasHerald
04-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Stutts, g3p: thank you guys!

Well, I've finally decided to go for a morrocan-style inner courtyard, sop here's the lineart:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/lineart2.jpg

It doesn't show too well, but half of the creature is under the archway, so it's partially shaded. The light will be quite dim, coming form a dusk sky and a few candles here and there.

Hope you like it. Next update will be a colour wip at last! CYA

GregStrangis
04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey Herald I like the new morrocan style, it fits well with her! 1 thing that seems off to me is the perspective with the back wall, not sure whats making it seem off but I am sure you will make it look awesome in the end =)

NavigatorJones
04-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Hahah, she's in your base, sexing you manz - I mean killing them...!
This is pretty cool, the only thing that looks off thus far is the guy closest to the camera, he looks like he's floating rather than kneeling(unless he's in motion, mid fall?) or maybe she's grabbing him or supporting his fall in some way?
waiting for colour!

numabrush
04-13-2009, 06:48 AM
It is very exciting to see her in context! Can't wait to see the end result!

Ataulfo
04-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi dude, you are doing a great work. I like a lot the concet and modelling sheet.

The last sketch looks very good too.:arteest:
keep it up:beer:

DanielCortes
04-14-2009, 01:04 AM
esta re heavy tu mina. I almost want to be a victim, but I just hate the idea of feeding that big ass lobster, I just don't like the idea of him not sharing the food.
well, having covered the more important issues, I do agree with some work needed on the angle, and minor details like that. just work it, you'll know when it looks right. Un fuerte abrazo de otro lado de rio. :D

CurtisRU
04-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Great design, its really solid.
The skulls on the squid cranium look great, the overall shape of it reminds me a bit of the HR Geiger Alien work.
Cant wait to see it go even further!
--------------------------
CurtisRU
My Blog (http://curtisrioux.blogspot.com)
My Dominance War Entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=751158)

GaeasHerald
04-14-2009, 06:05 PM
GregStrangis: hey Greg, how are you doing? Actually, i did use a perspective line grid, so I'm pretty sure its right, the thing is that the composition sucks and it doesn't read well. :sad: I'm working on that. Thanks for dropping by buddy!

NavigatorJones: thanks! Yea, you got that right, he is floating towards her like if he were under a spell. Anyway, I'm changing te whole thing, so that won't be a problem any more.

numabrush: thanks a lot :)

Ataulfo: Iban, glad you liked it. Que andes bien.

live2contage: daniel, you're right about changing the angle. I'l definetly do that. thanks man!

CurtisRU: Wow, a million thanks. I hadn't though about it, but now that you mention it the skulls back there do have some geigerish feel.

Well, as I've said, I'm changing the whole thing.... Started colour blocking and in the end I wasn't pleased with neither the composition nor the colouring. There was too much attention given to the background and not the character, and it wasnt working for me.
I'm posting that little colour study cause I promised to do so, but I think I'm going for the complete opposite pallette....:hmm: We'll see...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/final-image.jpg

Cheers everybody!

GregStrangis
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey Herald I am glad you are changing the comp as I agree with you that she blends way to much with the background, I am sure it will come to you buddy ;)

Ferx
04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Hey Gerardo,

Really great updates :D The concept sheet and the model sheet, look really cool!!
The final composition, looks nice too, but maybe the background is a bit busy and take some attention of your character, perhaps an open cliff at seaside, only a idea :) Again, cool work !! and waiting for more updates!! Cheers my friend!! :beer:

ShamesArt
04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
very well done, its really powerful :thumbsup:

yakonusuke
04-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Very nice!
But I think that the perpektive is from too high above. Would be quite more epic when its
lower. And the floor seams to tilt in the direction of the viewer.

... Oh just saw that some others have criticised that already... :D
Good luck man!

GaeasHerald
04-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi guys, I've been a little down lately, and I guess it shows in the quality of my work :blush:. I'm getting bored of this character and my morale is dropping, but I'll try to do my best.

GregStrangis: You're absolutely right Greg, thanks a lot for all the support and encouragement.

Ferx: Fernando! Long time no see! Yes, it was wa too busy and I was focusing to much on the surroundings and less on the character. No le pego una ultimamente :banghead:. Gracias por tu comentario.

ShamesArt: thanks m8. It still has a long way to go tho.

yakonusuke: advice very appreciatted buddy. Thanks for dropping by.

Well, the background is now a simpler and less distracting haunted forest, and the victim guy is outside of the picture, only casting a shadow.
Here's some variations on a new colour scheme too. Theres only subtle difference between them, but I feel things are getting back on track and this is more true to my original vision. Please tell me which one you like best, the one with most votes by this time tomorrow will be the final colour scheme.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/colourschemechoice.jpg

C&C are soooo welcomed!

Hexahedron
04-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I like B. It looks really nice, I like the ambiance on it. Great job Gaes!
:)

moonangel
04-16-2009, 07:19 PM
I would go with C, as B is a little too... pushed contrast, dunno. The greenish mouldering and warm athmosphere fits better the stlye of the creature than the cold B. Just my opinion, of course.

Ferx
04-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Hey Gerardo,

Like the new background :) and my vote is for B :D

Hey man this is for fun, keep the motivation :D. You can make a totally loose sketches trying dynamic poses and compositions, little thumbnails, with a few lines, only searching for the gesture. For example you can try some tentacles foreshortening to the victim out of the screen, to gain perspective, or the female part foreshortening and attacking (removing her bra hahahaha :D) when you find a composition you like, you can refine the sketch. Only a comment :)
I think your work is great so far. Cheers my friend!! :beer:

(Vamos Gerardo, creo que tu concepto es uno de los mejores. Puedes tomarte unos dias, para descansar y quitarte el aburrimiento, y después le vuelves a dar duro. Unos tequilas tambien te caerian bien, ya deja el mate :D jajajajajajajajajaja)

Shiramune
04-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Really cool approach to the idea man! I love the direction you're going with this one!~Gonna keep an I on this wonderful concept, keep updating! :thumbsup:

DanielCortes
04-16-2009, 08:53 PM
WHAT? mate is the source of all power, and be careful with the tequila you might want to sleep one to many a nap...ha :D :D :D :D ! Fer is right you should give it a reat, your doing good with time, and giving yourself a break can be the secret ingreadeant for killer ideas. anyhow its looking great. I like b as well it has more contrast and the feel is sexyer :twisted: I can almost envisions it all hapening to me, don't tell my wife I said that... :buttrock:
keep it up hermano, Im loving it, y seguile dando duro al mate, es lo que nos hace diferentes, hmmm no se si eso es algo bueno pero q mas da :D :beer:

Alekzsander
04-16-2009, 08:56 PM
looks interesting :)

Buena suerte mi hermano .
Saludos de peru

JRBarton
04-16-2009, 08:59 PM
This is coming along nice, really cool concept and idea. B is cool
Keep it up!!!

ChaosShannon
04-17-2009, 11:50 PM
? how did you get your image to show up on the entry page for the contest mines is not showing up at so what am I doing wrong...?

GaeasHerald
04-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Hexahedron: thank you man, yeah, B has an appealing strangeness.

moonangel: actually, those are my exact same thoughts about it, my vote was for C. The good thing is that the difference between the two is one adjustment layer, so I can leave the choice for later. Many thanks.

Ferx: you rock Fernando! I can't tell you how much your wise advice is appreciatted. I've been facing some tough decisions in my life, and it seems that those concerns crept into my artisits outlet. Anyway, just wanted to say you're an awesome friend! :beer:

Shiramune: many thanks, just saw your entry and it is sheer genius. Keep it up you 2 :)

live2contage: I'll get in contact with you wife and tell her you're seeing other cephalopods! Che abrazo grande y dale duro al matequila :beer:.

Alekzsander: Great! saludos de vuelta desde Uruguay!:beer:

JRBarton: Thanks for the comment. The B it is!

ChaosShannon: You mean the thumbnail at gameartisans? I think it may be a problem with the image resolution (exactly 128 by 128 pixels if I'm not wrong). If it is so, then it's only a matter of shrinking/cropping your image. Try posting at the FAQ thread, I'm sure a mod or someone there can give you a better answer. Good luck.

BTW, I thought we latin americans should have some sort of easter eggs in our images. The beerchug smilie ":beer:" seems to be our trademark, so maybe we could add a glass of beer or sth to our final pieces? Or maybe just as a logo in our concept/modeling sheets?

JacquesPena
04-18-2009, 10:57 PM
I have to say, this is one of my favorites in the competition. I'm glad to see your progress from day 1. I saw the physical drawing you did.. impressive. As for the color choices..50%C and 50%B is the way to go. Keep your moral up bro.:thumbsup:

ChaosShannon
04-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Holy smoke that is amazing like the way it is coming along man I can not wait to see the end product.

Dominance War IV. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158)

DanielCortes
04-20-2009, 01:40 AM
my prayer are with you bro, you've been a great friend, and your support has been huge, keep it up. Mañana voy a estrnar el tere-tequila, con mi wife, despues te paso el dato si esta bueno. :beer:

GaeasHerald
04-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Sleepinglion: Many thanks for the kind words man, I really appreciate them. I think you're right 50-50 would be the best choice. :wavey:

ChaosShannon: glad you like it man. Hey could you solve the problem with your image upload?

live2contage: Dele, vaya y pruebe los mejunges esos! Despues me cuenta. Abrazo:beer:

I've been working a little on the colouring of this thing. I'm gonna stay with just one main light source and a dim fill light from the back. Guess the most important thing is that the character reads well. Hope you guys like it!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/final-final-image.jpg

Alekzsander
04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
you are doing a great work ;)

BaronImpossible
04-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Good choice of colour palette, I like that muted look

Ferx
04-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Hey Gerardo,

Really cool update, like a lot the atmosphere and mood for the concept, looks really great! The backlight through the threes is a very cool touch. Great work so far :D Cant wait for more updates !! Cheers!! :beer:

GregStrangis
04-21-2009, 07:21 AM
much better Herald and the character reads great now! Get to work on the sexy part of her now haha

DanielCortes
04-21-2009, 02:42 PM
que bueno loco! me encanta :love: (me entusiasme y le puse tetitas a la mia tambien, sorry por robarte la idea :curious: :scream: :blush: pero ella es menor asique las tuve q cubrir un poco ja! :surprised ), it's very clear and I also love the mood. just a thought, I really like the light behind tree's, I can almost imagine a couple streaks shining threw softly, the sun is slowly dying away and the creepy creatures come and play, type thing. would it work for a soft back light to cast a creepy shadow of dry branches over some parts of the sea monster. to give it more of a enchanted forest feel, if you could give it that feel I think it would really boost your images. Anyhow thought of a man who knows to little so don't go crazy over it. Que estes bien che, y suerte con todas tus cosas, dale pa delante nomas :buttrock:

Stutts
04-21-2009, 02:52 PM
looking good man! :thumbsup: I really like the new illustration! Keep it up! :thumbsup:

black-kylin
04-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Very nice concept! The skull design looks cool to me!

Necronomiden
04-22-2009, 05:14 AM
no puedo creer como seve havia pasado ver tu thread gerdo :D tus conceptos son soberbios! siguele echando ganas :buttrock:

GaeasHerald
04-22-2009, 05:18 AM
Alekzsander: sweet. Glad you liked it dude.

BaronImpossible: :wise: if you say so Simon, then I'm pleased. BTW, I'm working towards the "greasy naked tentacle woman" as you suggested. Lots of thanks for all the advice. :bowdown:

Ferx: gracias che, the background is more loose and thats definetly better. Hey, don't keep us waiting with Zopiloterix man, that entry is highly adictive! I can't wait to see what's comin' next.

GregStrangis: Yeah. Booooooobs. It's about time I got to them, don't ya think? CYA bro!

live2contage: Great man, glad you liked it. The cast shadows is a good idea, but it's tricky to put into practice because it isn't easy to know how materials react to these sort of atmospheric lights. We'll see. BTW, you gave Florence tits!? You pervert! Otra cosa que le tengo que contar a tu jermu.

Stutts: thanks a lot for the comment m8. And thanks for the two thumb-ups :thumbsup:

black-kylin: skulls are a must for a demon, right? Hey your sketches are absolutely great, I can't wait to see which one you choose. Thanks for dropping by.

daelon
04-22-2009, 08:08 AM
looks very interesting men... me gustan mucho las formas y eso de que la caracola tenga un ojo que hace parecer a la tipa como si fuese una marioneta, como un señuelo o algo asi, muy chulo el diseño ;)

GaeasHerald
04-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Octostatue: gracias che! Nice to see more latin talent around.

daelon: Tal cual. La mina es un señuelo para atraer ingenuos, jejeje. Thanks for dropping by.

I finally worked a bit on the boobs of this girl, so some of you will be happy to see this update :drool:. Still there's tons of work to be done...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/girldetailing.jpg

Comments and crits appreciated, and congratulations everybody for all the insanely cool entries you've got going on. Cheers!

GregStrangis
04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Looking good Herald! What happened to the poor men or man being seduced by her?? Is the final just going to be her by herself?

QuantumPixel
04-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Nice progress keep it up.

DanielCortes
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow q bueno q esta quedado! Great progress, the mood is just right, and I noticed more light coming thru the trees, it gives a touch. I totally get what you mean, light is a real 2 edged sward, if applied in a weird way it can just make everything look wrong . But what you did looks just right. My only observation is to work a little more on the nipples (I know what your thinking , este pervertido de mier…), I speak from a technical point of view. :curious: The nipples look to much like dotes for my taste (I know they do exist :wise: ) and I think if you smooth them out a little on the edge and maybe a lighter color, maybe you could also center the main nipple a little more. Anyhow there is nothing wrong with them the way they are but its more for personal pleasure…I mean, well you know.
Si mi mujer lo vio, y le gusto la idea, es una Francesa re loca, no creo q hay nada q puedo hacer para sorprenderla, hmmm, bueno vamos a ver si se me ocurre algo. Dale pa delante man, esta re bueno. :beer:

jushra
04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
This is shaping up nicely. It was mentioned that there were men being seduced by her, and I saw that idea on an earlier page. If you embrace that, and have more than one or two, that could really convey her power. On the execution of the painting, it feels like there is no difference between textures, as you progress, make sure to distinguish between your materials.

Cheers

GaeasHerald
04-27-2009, 04:29 AM
GregStrangis: there will be other guy for her to play with... But I have to find the balance between and interesting scene and a "winning pose". If I put the seduced victim in the picture it would be more about the interaction and less about the siren, it's a bit tricky. I'll just suggest the presence of a new victim thru a cast shadow, and add a few carcasses here and there, what do you think? Thanks for dropping by Greg.

QuantumPixel: thank you very much.

live2contage: LoL, I do think you're a f* pervert, but I forgive you. About the nipples, I did try a lighter tone for them, but with everything else going on around they looked washed out. Cheers! (and don't go around calling your wife a "crazy french lady" :argh:)

jushra: you're absolutely right about both issues. Dead bodies are on their way, and different textures are a must. I going for a smooth and silky skin on the girl, a polished metalic shell and a bumpy skin in the monster. I hope I get those materials right. Thanks a lot!

A new update: a few more details and cleaning up, the sillouette of the next victim and a few tentacles made out of darkness, which is her inborn power.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/dark-tentacles.jpg

And I finished the modeling sheet! If anyone was wondering what had happened to shrimpy, well this is the final design. I'm still trying to figure out where to put him in the final image... :curious:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/modeling3-1.jpg
Feel free to drop any comment that comes to your mind!

Ferx
04-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey Gerardo,

Cool image!! Like the lighting mood and the atmosphere on the image, reall great!! the color palette works well, like a lot. The model sheet looks great too, and want to see shrimpy in the final image ( Shrimpy can be a pimp that found clients for that sexy siren :D) Cheers my friend!! :beer: + tequila :D

ChaosShannon
04-28-2009, 07:11 AM
I have a ? for you, is there going to be a person in the left corner because I do see a shadow over so I just wondering. Like the way it is looking right now. Cool Great...

ChaosShannon
DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5834828#post5834828)

FrozZT
04-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Hey man, this is starting to look very nice! Good job! I think the environment looks way more alive than your character right now. maybe its worth to think about some reflections and some sharper edges in the lighting on your character to make it look moist and wet/glossy. One thing i thought about also is that it looks a bit out of place with no water nearby, kind of out of its element. Maybe just hint that there is water nearby, that it came out of water a moment ago or something. Keep up the good work, i bet its gonna be awesome! ;)

-Niklas

Ataulfo
04-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi Gerardo.
Great progress.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I like a lot the color palette. Very good.
Keep it up, dude:beer:

BaronImpossible
04-29-2009, 10:36 PM
I know it's a bit late, but just building on FrozZT's idea, it would be damn cool to have the woman-part reclining on a rock and the rest of the creature hiding underwater. I think that would really convey what's going on, luring men to a yukky death by way of slimy-breast-based enticement. At the moment, much as I like the way it's developing, it's inevitable that the prey will see the creature and, you know, run.

Neat concept sheets, BTW, really nice.

GaeasHerald
05-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Ferx: thanks fernando, I cherish your support my friend. Cheers!

ChaosShannon: thanks a lot m8!

FrozZT: It is a bit strange to have a sea creature in the middle of a forest, right? I intended it to be a swamp at first, them forgot all about it. Silly me. Keep an eye, cause that's gonna change soon. Your input is very apreciatted. Cheers bro!

Ataulfo: Gracias Iban, yeah, the pallette is the only thing I like about my image ATM :argh:

BaronImpossible: What you are suggesting (changing the whole composition) is demential and suicidal, so....... I'll do it!!! Yeah, I love that idea, and that exact issue has been buggin me from the start. Having to show a full shot of a character that likes to hide is complicated, but I think your suggestion is awesome.
"slimy-breast-based enticement" :love:

So here it is, a whole new twist (I recycled the side view of the modeling sheet :rolleyes:) :
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/newidea.jpg

It's a 10 minute sketch, so its veeeeeeery rough. But the general idea is an old-school siren in shalow waters, luring fishermen and sailors to a watery death.

I love this new angle, but I'll probably die in the attempt to finish it in time. Well, if that's to be the case, then I want my ashes to be thrown to the sea.....:cool: Preferably the Pacific Ocean....

All suggestions, comments and critique are encouraged!

Stutts
05-01-2009, 06:09 AM
sweet man I love the new composition! keep it up!

BaronImpossible
05-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh yes, that conveys the concept much better. Nice take on the lighting too. Brave decision but I think it'll work out!

DanielCortes
05-01-2009, 09:44 PM
wow man your insane!!! I thought I was behind, well now I have some company, race you to it, and I also agree that it will be well worth the trouble. Keep it up bro, it's looking good your my hero :buttrock:
PS. lo q pasa es q es una francecita re loca, por eso me case, muy divertida, y mi hijita es peor, tiene 2 y dibuja todo el dia (cosas muy raras por lo cierto), creo q le voy a dejar de mostrar tu dibujos ha! cuidate man, metele al mate q nos va a hacer falta. :beer:

GaeasHerald
05-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Stutts: thanks man, I'll try to finish in time!

BaronImpossible: I think it'll work too (hope so). Thanks for pushing me to take this risk :beer:

Livetocontage: Yeah lets race! You're going to show your two-year-old child a picture of a naked tentacle lady??? You really are a child corruptor! Vos metele al mate y yo abuso del cafe, dale?

Well, another update, let me know what you think guys:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/mountainsiren.jpg

DanielCortes
05-04-2009, 11:12 PM
che q ambiente estas logrando. I like the light the rendering of the rocks and snow or shine on the moutains is great, i enjoy the atmosfere, real cool. There is just one thing, after pushing my brain to come up with a useful critick, I realized she dosent give off the impresion of a deamon at all, she dosnt have any hint of evil. Dont get me wrong I do understand the concept of real evil being extremly subtle, inticive and deceptive, but I think somthing needs to be hapeening somwhere to help the viewer understand this, maybe some legs can be coming out of the water were the bad guy is, or some terible thing like that.
Anyhow see you bro and dlae con el cofe nomas, just no tequila for now of she might end up with wings and a gatling gun (hmmm, no esta mal la idea). un abrazo vijo.
ps(trato de protejerla de todo lo q puedo pero aveces me miral la pantalla, igual era un broma, je!)

jushra
05-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Hey man,

I like the progress you are making with this. Your new idea is working well. My crit at this point is that the creature feels too separate from her/it's environment. It feels like its sort of cut/pasted in, just because of the outline you have done in certain areas. Use some of the background colors on the creature to bring it all together. Wherever there are slimy/wet areas, there will be more light and environmental color reflected, so keep that in mind.

Keep up the good work.

MartinNielsen
05-05-2009, 11:55 AM
The colors in the environment fit the character so well. But the outlines shouldn't be there in my opinion. The character looks very pieceful :)

Ferx
05-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey Gerardo,

Cool twist on the image, like the atmosphere and enviroment, really well suited for the concept! :D Cheers my friend!! :beer: ( A darle duro Gerardo, ya estas casi en la meta! :D)

GaeasHerald
05-07-2009, 05:15 AM
live2contage: I though a girl with an octopus butt would be evil enough! Just kidding, yeah I do intend to have dead corpses floating around, and making the demon side more ugly. Thanks bro.

jushra: thanks from dropping by m8. This is still a wip, and the outlines are there just for guide atm, they'll go away soon I promise. Thanks for the advice.

MartinNielsen: thanks Martin, good to see you around.

Ferx: I should have gone with this idea from the start, but at least I practiced my rusty painting skills with the previous scenes. Hey man, we've got to see you your final decision and the modeling sheet for your character. So go paint some more!!! Y gracias por el apoyo amigo!

New Wip:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/mountainsiren2.jpg
Next thing: painting the girl properly.... C&C are welcomed as always.

o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

:bounce:On totaly unrelated news, I finally got my degree as a Pharmaceutical Chemist!!!:bounce:Yeay!!!:bounce: That was stressing me out big time. So now I'm sleeping like a baby at last.

Necronomiden
05-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Hey Gerardo! your new painting looks awesome, i can't wait to see how you sexy up the woman part :D

ChaosShannon
05-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Wow now that is amazing like all of your color choices. The wet shine that you place on the tentacle is super keep it up man way to go!

DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158&page=2)

MrRico
05-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey Gerardo,
Great colors mate! I would say there is a kind of different approach to the background color than the creature itself, is like they are lit by different sources. Maybe is because you are still working on it. I myself have problems with the source of light. If you have time take a look on my WIP.

Best.
Ricardo
My DWIV WIP. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5767025#post5767025)

DanielCortes
05-07-2009, 11:30 PM
she killed the pirates, stole the treasure and now for a little sunshine on the rocks, and she has an octopus butt. Okay now she's starting to give the scary feel :buttrock: .
Great going I like the whole feel, but I was wondering about the boats. Do you think the time period would matter? I think according to the story line this war should be taking place thousands of years from now. Well maybe in some remote planet in space they will still use those boats, anyhow just a pointless observation :D .
And congratulations on your degree :beer: :thumbsup: :beer: , that’s real cool you actually pulled both things off at the same time :bowdown: . Todo lo mejor viejo, estoy bien feliz por vos, pero no festejes mucho todavía falta un trechito, y ahí si le damos duro. Che una pregunta, adonde aprendiste ingles, lo tenes bien desarrollado, yo hablo desde niño, pero vos tenes un vocabulario bien completo, te felicito. Un abrazo hermano.

NavigatorJones
05-09-2009, 03:32 AM
OH yeah I love this new composition, it suits her so well, and looks so much more natural :D

neobear
05-09-2009, 09:05 AM
wow the last one is very cool. colors and background ! It's look more logical to put this creature in the see. great Work !!! :applause:

Lunos
05-09-2009, 08:59 PM
great work !!!

Ataulfo
05-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi dude.

the new composition with the sea work much better. I like a lot the color and that light coming from right. You are doing a very good work.
keep it up:beer:

ShogunWarrior
05-10-2009, 01:57 AM
ahhh, Gerardo my friend this piece is coming out great. I love the mountains in the background and how your character is portrayed. Your piece is probably the most interesting in here that i have noticed so far.. its very unique in design. Good idea actually, can't wait to see the finished piece take care for now.

GaeasHerald
05-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Octostatue: Yeah, making her sexy is the big challenge. Nice to see ya man!

ChaosShannon: Thanks, I was struggling with the pallette in the previous comp, but this one feels more natural and its somehow easier to paint... guess I'm inspired...

MrRico: Hi Ricardo, yeah, actually there are lit by different light sources. The key light for the background is the sun hiding behind the mountains and the key light for the siren is a lantern/torch on a ship off screen. The fill light is shared (sky light). ATM the pose of the siren doesn't suggest the presence someone off screen illuminating her. That's gonna change soon. Plus, I think I'll add some volumetric light to get the idea across better. Thanks for the comment man!

live2contage: guess the future can look anyway you want, even resemble the past, so I'm not worried about the ship design really. Sobre el recibimiento, next saturday I'll get completely wasted and have my hair cut by my friends, until then I'l be sober (more or less). Y del inglés, well, been learning since I was five...

NavigatorJones & neobear: thanks a lot, yes it was the obvious choice and I missed it, silly me.

Lunos: thanks a lot.

Ataulfo: muchas gracias Iban. Still a lot of work to do! Great job U 2!

ShogunWarrior: Thanks Peter for your kind words. Best of luck!

I've been quite busy lately, but here's a little sketch of her pose, waving her bra to lure some sailors closer. Also refined the mountains a little.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/newboobs.jpg

Still gotta decide where to put Shrimpy, her pet.... Any ideas?

MichaelZHsee
05-11-2009, 01:40 PM
my very 1st post here in cgtalk DW4 thread and accidentally bump into urs and i must say that ur progress are awesome!would be easier for me to comment if u didnt draw this well:)
keep it going and good luck:)the waving bra idea is gold!

Stutts
05-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Gerardo this is looking fantastic! It's progressed so much since the start you should be very proud. Good job and good luck on the finish!

Ataulfo
05-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Hola Gerardo,

In my opinion your last drawing looks better if the Abyssal Siren is looking to right side, like in the previous update.

Keep it up, dude:beer:

Gracias por los consejos

Ferx
05-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey Gerardo,
The waving bra idea is really cool :D Looking great! Cheers! :beer:

Segvoia
05-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Interesting interpretation of the old siren mythology. You asked where "shrimpy" could go, perhaps he's gnawing on the skull of that dead sailor floating behind her?

Your mountain landscape is beautiful, the fact that your creature's human female lure is nekkid causes me to shiver a bit, I imagine it is really frigid in the climate you are portraying.

Quick crit, if she is luring sailors off to the left of the picture, I think the raised tentacle behind her might be too high for the approaching folks to ignore, maybe have it curled back so that it its more behind the rock that her human half is perching on?

Great job :thumbsup:

GaeasHerald
05-14-2009, 08:04 AM
MichaelZHsee: you're too kind man, thanks a lot for all the praise. I checked your entry at GA and I couldn't believe my eyes. The artwork is awesome, you've done it record time, you're getting married on saturday, your computer broke down so you started everything from scratch... and after all that......it looks even better!!! You're my hero!

Stutts: Thanks a lot man, and good luck to you too on this last days!

Ataulfo: for now I keep flipping my canvas horizontally (4-5 times per painting session). I realized I havent posted two wips in a row with the same view... Sorry! Ah, los colores que elegiste para el tuyo están bárbaros, tienen una onda militar re-cool.

Ferx: the bra will make or break the piece. All the storytelling is in there! At least the key part... Hey man, we want more of Zopiloterix, I just can wait any more! You've gotta give it to us! Thanks tons for dopping by.

Segvoia: those crits and suggestions were exactly what I needed, i cant thank you enough. :wise: Yes, its a chilly setting, but being an octopus-oid I don't think she would mind. lol

Well, some more work on this piece. More detail everywhere, and I did her face at last! It was a bit of a nightmare, I reworked on her face over a dozen times, but the first eleven versions didn't look naughty enough. Hope this one does :hmm:.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/mountainsiren3.jpg

Now the list of things left to do:
A. arms
B. tentacles
C. shrimpy
Doesn't look like much, but I have a couple of hectic days ahead... Hope I finish in time.

CYA all soon!

ShogunWarrior
05-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Hey Gerardo, I have a suggestion with your piece of work. You know the tentacles? Try extend some of them out of the water and have it come close to the frame. So it looks more in depth.. Say like 1-2 tentacles coming closer to us out of the water. That would be awesome and it would show a detailed look of the tentacles upclose and personal....otherwise it looks good the way it is and very brilliant idea.

GregStrangis
05-14-2009, 05:20 PM
O man! You are so close to finishing! Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow?? This has changed so much since I last been here, and for the better. I really like the overall mood that it puts out, very serene but at the same time mysterious. Good luck with the final submission!

MR
05-14-2009, 06:34 PM
this piece is getting better and better. But I`m missing some darker foreground elements -->(perspective).

ChaosShannon
05-16-2009, 11:58 AM
its looking very good keep going like the overall design. I think that was a good choice to lower the tentacle either way it looks very good. Can not wait to see done so good luck man!:thumbsup:

ChaosShannon
DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158&page=3&pp=15)

GaeasHerald
05-18-2009, 05:30 AM
Hi guys, i've been super busy these past few days, but I managed to finish my entry. It has a lot of things that could be improved, but the deadline is here and I'm exhausted :D

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/AS_final-illustration.jpg

ShogunWarrior: thanks man, you suggestion was awesome but I run out of time :( , a million thanks for all the support and encouragement. Best of luck to you my friend!

GregStrangis: Thanks a lot Greg, I hope to see you in the next challenge! You are so talented and fast. I had a lot of fun sharing this experience with U!

MR: Thanks a lot sensei Raaflaub :wise: and good luck to you!

ChaosShannon: Very appreciatted! I'm so pleased to see how much you have progressed over these few months Chris. Good job!

And to everybody else, my most sincere thanks for all the support and critiques, and for pushing me to try something new every time. I've learned so much from all the imput and just from watching all U talented digital artists work.

GO CGS TEAM!
:twisted:

GaeasHerald
05-18-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm so stupid, I just realized she has two left hands. :argh:
I shouldn't be working so late....:surprised

Silkcats
05-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Beautiful work man!! The concept is really original and just looking at the illustration you can imagine the rest of the story, very well done!!
And don't worry about her double left hand, you still got some hours to correct it ;)

Cheers!!
:beer:

yakonusuke
05-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Thank you Gerry! I don't think there's any chance to get on the upper places for me, but
glad you think so! :)

You've brought a great piece to life with an original concept! I like the fact that she/it took out entire ships, which you placed in the back. Pretty good storytelling!
Whish you all the best in the judging!

OKMER
05-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Just beautifil Gerardo!
Maybe try to put in some skull/body floating really near us almost in the camera.
With some blur then I think it will get even more deepness.Or maybe some tentacle a bit nearer to us.
Anyway, congratz on a amazing pic & idea man!
gogogo :-)
All the best,
-Remko

MartinNielsen
05-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Nice work. It just get better and better :) I hope you finish in time :)

Ferx
05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey Gerardo,

Congrats on your finish my friend :D Really awesome work, love your concept, really great. The final image is totally cool, great mood an enviroment on it. It was an honor to have participated with you in this challenge my friend. Good luck and.... yes .. time for a lot of tequila shots!! Salud Gerardo!! Gran trabajo !! :D :beer:

Necronomiden
05-19-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm so stupid, I just realized she has two left hands. :argh:
I shouldn't be working so late....:surprised

hehe no te preocupes que a todos nos ha pasado algo asi cuando trabajamos cansados xD!

hopefully you corrected in time for submition, if not, you still have a beatifull piece :D congrats :applause:

GaeasHerald
05-20-2009, 03:53 AM
Silkcats: Thanks man, really appreciatte your kind words. I realized the hand mistake when I was about to submit the final entry. I was a click away from making a complete fool of myself, but luckily it was corrected before it was too late. :blush:

yakonusuke: I truly think you've got a shot, cause your painterly style is outstanding. All the best to you too my friend!

OKMER: My Captain! Super cool you dropped by! I didn't get to add the foreground elements in time, but I'll surely do so before adding this image to my folio. Thanks for the comment man.

MartinNielsen: thanks Martin, I got there in the nick of time :cool:. BTW, your entry looks cool m8, well done!

Ferx: Que lástima que no llegaras a tiempo. But don't worry man, U did a fantastic job and made all of us happy with your hilarious sketches. The honor is all mine Nando! Sos grande entre los grandes!

Octostatue: que papelón el mío! Por suerte lo corregí a tiempo! Abrazo grande y gracias por tu comentario.

Well everybody, its been an amazing ride, very very enjoyable. Here are the finals, hope you guys like them:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/text.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/AS_concept-sheet.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/AS_modeling-sheet.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/gaeasherald/AS_final-illustration-1.jpg

See you all in the next DW!

ChaosShannon
05-20-2009, 05:47 AM
Thank you for that comment I diffently feel that I have grown a lot. Can not wait to see who won this contest...

ChaosShannon
DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158&page=3)

Nethermind
05-20-2009, 07:16 AM
hah. Love the the enticing bra dangle. Great entry.

DanielCortes
05-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Como anda eso hermano. I was a little worried you hadn’t made it on time, because I cheeked your thread at the deadline and didn’t see your final piece. But it’s good to know you did, I like the story and watching your whole developing process was a good experience. I think your final product is wonderful, and in my personal opinion there has been massive progress in relation to your other work.
Anyhow I also wanted to thank you for your faithful a consisted support during the whole challenge, I think it had a big impact on my work, so thanks for taking the time, it is much appreciated. Hope to see you around, big hug.
Y si, le voy a seguir metiendo duro hasta el final. Voy a empezar trabajando en proyectos simples para ir consiguiendo experiencia y terminar mis estudios. Despues veo si logo conseguir un laburo mas pro, vamos a ver q pasa. Nos mantenemos en contacto, un gustazo che! :beer:

MartinNielsen
05-21-2009, 09:42 PM
You made it! :) Good luck.

GaeasHerald
05-24-2009, 04:31 AM
ChaosShannon: Great! I can't wait either. Hope to see you next year!

Nethermind: Bras and boobs man. That's gotta earn me some points, right? lol
Thx for droppring by

live2contage: arriba los rioplatenses! Yeah, keep workin' on your stuff man, and little by little you'll grow into an outstanding artist. :beer:

MartinNielsen: just in the nick of time my friend! And best of luck to you too!

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2009, 04:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.