PDA

View Full Version : DWIV - 2D - CGS_yakonusuke - Purification

yakonusuke
03-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey CGSteam!

So i'm officially in this war!
I will start posting my stuff soon. Just have to decide which direction to go.. hmm

So, let's win this slaughter!

SaphireS
03-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Hoi Yako!
Looking forward to your finished entry. :D

Ich tippe mal darauf, dass du nach der Steampunkt-Challenge die Nase voll von Maschinen hast...so gehts nšmlich mir. ;)
Viel GlŁck.

yakonusuke
03-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Hey Phil! Yeah , I guess I rather choose the demons :D
Thank you! I'll do my best as usual!

yakonusuke
03-16-2009, 09:37 PM
My first sketches to get in the flow.
The rider is supposed to be a demonprince . He sits on a mount composed of lots of corpses
and dead flesh. The beast pulls a bunch of corpses , maybe fallen soldiers or just naked dead humans or something like that.

The other guy on the right is my first attempt for a demonlord.

I keep on searching.

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/244083.f3ccdd27d2000e3f9255a7e3e2c48800.jpg

DanielCortes
03-16-2009, 10:20 PM
looking really good! I think you might want one to stick out more then the other, as is they both draw a lot of attention to them selfs. for being your first ideas it's great :bounce:

PS: Stupid me...ha! I just read your comment, sorry, your doing great.

frigi
03-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey yako,

I'm totally digging the rider at the top, would be great to see some more detailed sketches.

As for the one on the left... He's way too generic in my eyes, you can do a lot better in terms of extravagance!

Keep going!

ersinerturk
03-16-2009, 10:37 PM
great sketches! top one has a cool concept and details. i'm really curious about how the mounts body will look like :drool:

adso2
03-16-2009, 10:52 PM
first one, Great work. I like both directions mounted and demon lord (I also like the bad side more :D). I am with the comments above, maybe a mounted demon sounds more original, but I like both sketches, it would be difficult for me to take one :rolleyes: .

Again great work.

Sellis
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Tried deleting this and don't know how :P Please look at my next post :S

Sellis
03-17-2009, 12:40 PM
My first reply didnt seem to work so apologies if it it posts twice! I love your demon prince idea and the steed lends itself to some cool possibilities so id pursue that direction :)

Cheers,

Stu.

JacquesPena
03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm also working on a demon lord, but I'm undecided if he should be mounted on a creature. Concepts are great, good luck.

SebastianWunnicke
03-17-2009, 02:52 PM
my favourite is the demon lord, i like his huge horn and that evil smile. The demon prince is cool, too. I also choosed a mounted creature, a very small guy on a large beast, but at the moment i worry about putting to much detail on the beast.

SaphireS
03-17-2009, 06:51 PM
The rider! :love:
I think every second thread I see here has a demon lord in it. ;)

solblomma
03-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Go with the mounted character :)

yakonusuke
03-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Hey thanks, guys! yea... I also tend to the rider& mount- maybe I'll stick to that.
But first another sketch of it. I added some elements of the demonlord-sketch, which I liked. Maybe I also find a good place for the flagthing ... or just as fabric wrapped around something.

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/244567.a88ecfb565455d7223cd886305eb03d0.jpg

yakonusuke
03-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Some ideas for the head of the mount.
http://mokiji.de/mokiji/245109.fd4e2b114bd76243c17b95faf626fb12.jpg

Nethermind
03-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Really love your rendering style. keep it up.

Partial to the piggish snout mount head. Beak is close second.

NavigatorJones
03-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Wow I love the animal thing, but I think your dude looks a wee bit too much like a 'norm' at the moment, but the mount is pure win xD!

syrez-one
03-19-2009, 12:12 AM
also love these silhoutes! i'm really bad at those myself..

such a pleasure to look at! i like the left detailed version most, looks alot demon. but your rider is a human(norm) i see?

DanielCortes
03-19-2009, 01:04 AM
Those sketches are great, I love them, especially the second one, in the middle.
I agree with syrez-one about the rider, he looks like a Norm more than a daemon lord, thereís nothing wrong with it, maybe a Norm is a good idea? Whatever you decide on, itís coming with a bang!

Soggyclog
03-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Those steed heads are beautiful. I think I like the first and third ver the middle one but they all rock!

yakonusuke
03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys! Very appreciated!

About your concerns bout the rider- Well the rules say : " Demon Princes are human sized demons with human-like or alien-like characteristics. If not for a few demon-like body traits (bat wings, horns, tail etc), they could easily pass for a natural intelligent human, alien, elf etc of that kind."

I don't stick to the first sketch of him, I will make some variations. But I won't make him uber-diabolic looking. Maybe as in the brief discribed more demon-like body traits. I will see. For now I want to complete the design of the mount, then I move on.

adso2
03-19-2009, 11:37 AM
three mount faces are nice, but maybe I would take the first one (on the left). The eye is in the dark, a little confuse and I think that could work very well for the mount. The second looks a little like cow and the third like bird, very nice, but I think something that looks far of some common thing can do it better. Just an opinion.

Nice sketches :bounce:

Titan
03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
love the sketches .... lots of energy and the figures are extremely powerful...youre definately on to something.. good luck.

PeterBraeley
03-19-2009, 03:01 PM
this is looking awsome!!!

wenart
03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
awesome :D I choose the first one for the mount face

Intervain
03-19-2009, 04:30 PM
this is great - I would totally looove to model this any day :) Really looking forward to more :):thumbsup:

molynext
03-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Awesome work - these could be finished pieces! As far as the mount head goes I'd take number 2. I really like this concept and I look forward to seeing more!

bangbangteng
03-19-2009, 07:10 PM
I agree with some of the other guys on here. You might want to cement your design to one faction or the other... Easy to read/un-confusing designs are more successful than one that a viewer would have to think hard about to identify.

I love the explorations into the mount heads, they reminded me of Where the Wild Things Are.

yakonusuke
03-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey ya, thanks again for your kind words!
I didn't decide which head I choose, yet , respectively which combination of the individual parts, but thanks for your opinions so far!

Today I tried to formulate a good body for the mount with lots of thingys hanging around ... maybe the skulls are a bit to cheezy, but I take them as they are, when I don't find other things that fit the undead mount. Maybe you guys can give me a clue on that? :D
The chains lead to the corpses , you remember the concept.
One point in the concept I canceled: The body of the mount won't be composed out of corpses, would be to much with the hanging stuff and the peeling skin.

Here we go:
C&C always welcome

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/245635.0116c0f61595341362962336c9efbd39.jpg

BaronImpossible
03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I like the skulls, you can never have too many. The mount is great too but for me the body is too normal - too dog-like. Maybe play around with it to make it more hulking or grotesque.

ENBE
03-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Really enjoying the BW Studies. Even though your looking to be going in another direction I really favour the Griffin style beak head as stands out in originality. Good stuff

Ferx
03-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Really cool sketches and concepts :) Agree with Baronimpossible about the body for the mount. Again, really great work. Looking forward for more updates! Cheers! :beer:

yakonusuke
03-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Hm, too dog-like... What would you guys suggest for the body?

Sellis
03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Hmmm, you could go anyway if its being composed of corpses, it could be warg like (lotr) with heavy front limbs or it could be fat/bloated and diseased etc. Play around with some forms and see what you come up with. I'm interested to see where you take this.

LGuzik
03-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Excellent design! I really enjoy the dragging corpses. I'd like to know the intended functionality of the corpses. Whether they're being dragged along as stock for demonic rituals/experiments. Or maybe a food source for the mount. I can understand if it's more of an intimidation thing (which having various carrion feeders swarming about would be great!) but I'd rather it have a bigger functionality.

I don't know about it being too dog like, I get more of a sabertooth tiger feel, but I've been hanging around the hardcore 80's cartoon modeling threads and have battlecat on the mind. But suggestions for a mount eh? Hmm...if you want some random suggestion......:D how about something based on a Lung Fish http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Australian-Lungfish.jpg :P just a random thought :) keep up the great work!

yakonusuke
03-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Sellis: Thank you!
Yeah maybe it is worth a try, when I make some colourstudies to add subtile hints of corpses.

LGuzik: Good point with the functionality. Initially the bodies were just a gimmick to underline
the purpose of this characters, to just kill and destroy.
But if you don't mind I'll maybe stick to one of your suggestions. : ) I like the idea of the demonic rituals, but on the other hand it proberbly won't fit to the character, cause he's maybe just warrior, no shaman or something... what I didn't decided, yet. Well in the end it's just a line in the description what won't affect the design. But thank you for your help! I keep that point in mind.

So, I made some new thumbs for the body of the mount, but I disliked to go in another direction. So I just exaggerated some shapes, as the legs and torso and also added some more stuff as armor and spikes ...

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/247457.4110b642b3a420406bb608eb754e6d90.jpg

GregStrangis
03-22-2009, 10:31 PM
whoa sweet dude, I am so glad they decided to make that gallery thread as I would have missed this otherwise! I agree on the rider looking alittle too "norm" but keep pushing both of them, it already looks awesome!

DanielCortes
03-24-2009, 10:48 AM
just for the sake of confusing you, I think your rider should have more of an occult, or hidden power to his general appearance. Lots of people are doing these massive daemons and such, but real power is normally hidden at first glance. I think both the forces of light or darkness have this in common, the dudes who really cut the cakeÖwell youíll never see them coming. For example, Sauron was originally considered a wise old man by the elfís, and thatís how he got them to wear the rings in the first place (The Silmarillion).

MartinNielsen
03-24-2009, 11:38 AM
The small details really fit this creature :thumbsup: I think live2contage has some good points.

birdman03
03-24-2009, 03:51 PM
powerful sketch and fantastic detail!~ can't wait to see the whole~ha! cheers!

StefanoDubay
03-24-2009, 06:08 PM
dude your craptmanship is awesome, what about explaining some of your painting techniques please it would be so great? ie how you get that tratteggio in PS (or are you using painter?)
great stuff man :bowdown:

yakonusuke
03-24-2009, 11:16 PM
GregStrangis : Thank you! Yea, I agree with you and have already ideas for that. The first sketch of him wasn't significant.

live2contage : hehe, no you don't confuse me at all! Actually I had something like this in mind, not least because the mount is so heavy and "powerful" it would be better to put
him in contrast to that. But thanks for support me in that thought!

MartinNielsen & birdman03: Thanks guys! Glad to read that : )

StefanoDubay: Hehe, there's no secret ! It's the same way everyone would to it with pencils. Just hatch. Well ok- First I made the bigger planes with a big brush and then hatched the rest to push the volume. That's it . Everything in PS but Painter can do it as well.

Actually this update is crap... I guess I have to do that again, but to keep that thread complete I post it. I don't like the headdesign and the armor is bugging me a lot. I liked the former headdesigns without the without armor far more.

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/248664.efa01ccfb3eabfd36372078098eb6816.jpg

kashivan
03-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Very cool sketches!!! and nice character! :)

StefanoDubay
03-26-2009, 04:19 AM
cool is nice to see people hatching in the painterly look thth all PS work have nowadays, looking around for my notebook from school (howto crosshatch 101) again
ehehe
your stuff is gorgeous!
Just one thing, I know is style but I'm not super fond of tht pig nose on tht skullshape/horn layout... what about some crazy warthog armored/decayed tusks/ headshape morph?

NiklasElling
03-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Really cool mount. However I think that head nr 1 from post 16 is alot more interesting than the one from your most recent post. Im looking forward to se more of the rider.

ShogunWarrior
03-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Thats beatiful work.. really like the sketches and designs...The beast looks amazing and realistic you got this down pretty good, can't wait to see the end result..

whiterat
03-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Oh man! crap is what I do!....so inspiring, so powerfull and so real!, at what zoo did you go to? :)
great, great work!

I think that with bigger teeth it will look even more beast, if thatīs possible.

Iīll be near this thread, I donīt want miss anything

RaresH
03-28-2009, 05:50 AM
Aa, Simon. Welcome, welcome, welcome. Good to see you in this competition. Beautiful sketches. You're mount looks fantastic. The details on the mount alone would be enough to reach the 10,000 poly limit if you were entering this as a 3D piece. I say be careful not to lose focus on your main character as I imagine he is supposed to be your center piece no? Keep up the great work.

DanielCortes
03-28-2009, 09:53 PM
I agree a little with StefanoDubay, in the way that I donít think the big nose doesnít cuts the cake, I think you could represent the awesome creature with stronger features. Out of the three options for the head it seems to me you went for the one in the middle, I also like it the most, but youíll notice the profile of the nose ends in a sharper slant downward, something more like the profile of a shark. It may seem insignificant, but id dose make a world of a difference. I do think that the warthog is something that has already been extensively explored by other artist. I would personally stick to my guns and strengthen your design. I think every minute invested in the face of your character is worth its weight in gold.
Your doing great, keep it up!

namnocilis
03-28-2009, 10:05 PM
woah! Great sketches and Great Character.. i liked all three head design of post 16, but the first one is more effective.
i too felt that the beast doesn't need an armour for the head.. looks more effective when the prey sees that deadly face of the beast. Great Going! :buttrock:

aeonseraph
03-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Love your concepts, cool style too! :buttrock:
Looking forward to see more of what U have in store for us.
And good luck in your creative process :arteest:

yakonusuke
03-31-2009, 12:53 AM
kashivan: Thanks !

StefanoDubay: Thank you, nice to hear that. Yeah I'll try more on the head. I don't like it either that way it is .

NiklasElling: I agree and will go back that sketches. :)

ShogunWarrior: Thank you , glad you like it!

whiterat: hehehe ;) . Bigger teeth? No, I think not, but thanks!

RaresH: Thanks, but ... simon? .... 3D .... what? :D

live2contage: Yea , Right you are - as I said , I don't like it either. I didn't work
on that head again, yet, but I will redesign that entire part. Thank you! :]

namnocilis: Glad you share my opinion! :)

aeonseraph: Thanks m8!

So here are some thoughts on the rider. Nothing's final. I wrote down a short storyline bout his past and character and started with some sketches.

In the first pic I thought of a fallen-angel-demon or something like that with bursted wings.

In the next pic I tried another position for the rider, but its to far in the front, but I like the cape covering the mounts back.

In the last pic I thought of a former prince killed for cruelty on his kingdom's people by burning. So I put him some clothes of his past on and tried to add some demoness. Through the way he died he became a firedemon casting fire through his hands. On the right his burned gloves and a CGS mark.
But it doesn't feel demon, mighty and unique enough so I will explore more.

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/252716.ce2253c4476143a45546fb3640bb72ea.png

Alicce
04-02-2009, 03:56 PM
I really really like your style and your thread, I think it's one of the the best so far.

And yes the cape covering is a GREAT idea!

Waiting for the next update!

kashivan
04-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Nice Nice Nice!!!
I like it! :buttrock:

DarkBlueArt
04-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Hello

Awesome.

Nothing more to say.

so long

Ataulfo
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Amazing sketches. Awsome.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I dont know how i dont see your entry before.
Keep it up:beer:

Aries326
04-03-2009, 06:57 AM
wuzzup yakonusuke,

Really love your style. And saved your pics for inspiration. Thank you..... In the animal its very ,powerful, ferocious, raw! I read your story or background ideas for the rider. What if as a demon his service lyes in the bond between him and his beast? He is mounted upon but physically melded to his beast of burden becoming one in their service to death and destruction. If youd like a cape, a cape of fallen and dirty broken wings would be good to state his fall from grace and his burden that he carries? Just a thought though..... Keep it up.....

DeadInTheAttic
04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Saved them also for further inspiration ;)

I wonder whether this side shot would look fierce and dynamic enough at the end. But alas ... it is a beast worth a warrior beyond imagination. I think, the one being attached to this creature must form a unit with this beast. Therefor I would make this character sit on the back of this creature or holding it at his hand, walking in front of him or behind. Something like that. Perhaps standing on its back like the Fremen were riding a sandworm.

Really cool sketches!

yakonusuke
04-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Alicce, kashivan , DarkBlueArt, Ataulfo: Thanks a lot! :scream:

Aries326: Thank you ! I'm happy if I can inspire others! Thanks for the suggestions,too. I keep that in mind when I write a new story around that new guy in this update.

DeadInTheAttic: Thanks man! Here you go! ;) ->

On the right are some former sketches.
I changed a lot since the last post and am quite happy bout the result.
The mount's body now is inspired by Iguanas but a bit modified.
I chose an former idea for the rider... I didn't like the story behind the last rider and
the overall design... it was no demon in my opinion. Nevertheless he is not finished
yet. I will point out his demonfeatures in the next steps.
The mount will get as well more sh*t around the body just like the last one.

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/255995.43ef8681594b2094713298f64c4b660f.jpg

NavigatorJones
04-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Ahh, I love his hat-thing XD!!! Adds an air of mystery to him, for some reason O_o!

Soggyclog
04-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Looking great! :)
That square shaped hair thing is really trippy... and very different for sure.

yakonusuke
04-06-2009, 11:17 AM
NavigatorJones & Soggyclog: Thank you guys! :D

Next one:

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/256252.3d5d0d8b21d047838c3edc81b58616a0.jpg

yakonusuke
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
And another one.

The ring will be replaced by a crown done with more effort. It will be holden by
the strange faces with their mouths.

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/256469.b864968b13c404ce8d501258eb1a100b.jpg

johnwoo
04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Beautiful work!...absolutely nothing to crit!!...especially those heads studies are kick ass!...dig :buttrock:

yakonusuke
04-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Thank you , Johnwoo! :)

Another step. It's gettin clearer, i guess. But still not finished- I will add some more stuff to the body.

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/258226.c0625439a6d680cde716d501d1092dbd.jpg

MR
04-10-2009, 11:10 PM
hey
you have a very nice style i followed your thread right from the start.
considering your hat design I have one little critique; in my oppinion this hat is too geometrical. maybe a trapezoid form would look interesting.
keep it up:beer:

ROBOTTANK
04-11-2009, 01:07 AM
what happened to the beast from post #53 :(

DanielCortes
04-11-2009, 01:21 AM
I think the face of the beast still needs some work, in needs some drastic characteristic to define it more. Just an idea, it already looks great. keep it up amigo :beer:

yakonusuke
04-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Mraaflaub: Yeah, thanks for the input, I actually like that piece haute couture how it is, but I will look if it is worth a try. :)

ROBOTTANK: Would be interesting if you could specify what you mean... I think since the redesign lots of the guys aren't interested anymore in my thread.... hmm

live2contage: You're not the first one who criticises the head... I guess at some point I made
bad decisions in the overall design...

Thanks for the replies , mates!

ROBOTTANK
04-11-2009, 04:15 PM
yeah, I was referring to the design of the creature, I enjoyed the other design a bit more, however this current design is great too, just didn't expect it. By no means have I lost interest in your thread though, you're one of my favorite artists on here and have one of the more original characters, I don't doubt at the end, your character will be awesome :)

DanielCortes
04-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey bro! just wanted to give my support, you sounded a little down, even if your not, just the same your doing a great job. I think Iím somewhat old school when it comes to taste, Iím not into over exaggeration, big guns, big explosions, big everything to portray power, majesty, glory, magic and so on, it really takes a sublime talent to achieve this, as we all can a appreciate from the great masters (I know some might not agree with me and thatís cool 2). Having said that, I see that in your work and thatís why I like it, and have faithfully been following it. I think your new character doesnít go with your old beast, it-s more oriental and not so traditional fantasy, but itís strong and it stands on its own. Now what Iím thinking is that traditional isnít always bad and sometimes we feel more drawn to something we can relate to (things we liked as children). Anyhow I was thinking, you make a final sketch of your first beast and a different rider (I saw the little one but Im thinking of something you can appreciate more)and see what people like the most, put it to vote. You seem quit fast so even with the delay youíll make it for sure. All the best man, and keep it coming, really great stuff. Chau amigo
Ps: what do people call you (Jakob?), oh yes, and if you ever have time to drop by my place it would be real cool.

Segvoia
04-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Awesome concept. Good luck in the competition!

yakonusuke
04-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Robottank: Allright thank you very much :D
Hope you like the update more then the former version! I tried to come back to
the first designs but mixed up the iguanabody.

live2contage: Hehe no I wasn't down, but confused bout the silence in this thread. ^^
Thank you again, for your support and encouragement, Daniel! I appreciate it a lot!
I share your opinion about the sublimity and exaggeration. So I tried to keep this
character calm and silent, but still threatful. In the next updates I will come up with
some close ups of his front side and face.

Segvoia: Thank you man!

I returned to the voodoo/necromantic look. Lots of changes on the body as you can see.
Also a new approach on the position of the prince. I guess it gives a bit more overnatural
feel to him.
btw the flames ain't as near to him as they appear in this view.
http://mokiji.de/mokiji/259594.81664540618c63213c09894bf5ab4002.jpg

ROBOTTANK
04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
now that's lookin' amazing dude, I love it

DanielCortes
04-13-2009, 07:29 PM
now we're talking! this is kicking ass :buttrock: it's cool to see so many ideas popping out of that head of yours. keep it up. :arteest:

GaeasHerald
04-13-2009, 09:57 PM
This guy rocks! The design, level of detail, and execution are sublime, plus the reptilian creature and the necromancer are a match made in heaven.
Keep it up man, this is one of my favourite entries!

Stutts
04-14-2009, 01:58 PM
:drool: Beautiful man! this is a fantastic design and very well executed! Keep it up man!

frigi
04-16-2009, 10:14 PM
As expected that's some pretty sick stuff you got here, I really enjoy watching the progress.

You could try lowering the body of the mount a bit tho, I think it would look better if he was crawling around with his belly being rather close to the ground. Right now I kinda have the feeling that he is too high above the floor.
You already visualized the frazzled fabric really well on his head but I'd love to see it equally on more of his bodyparts; it's a bit vague up to now.

The idea of the char floating on his mount is great but those toches just don't look right so far. You might wanna try to place 3 of them on each side instead of only 2. This could help to eliminate the harsh division which currently tears apart the whole thing.

I know, I'm a little bit nit-picky. ;)

alexy
04-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Hello,

All I can say is that I'm totally amazed by your sketches boards ! It's insane the way you create volume only with one color and no gradient :)

Keep it up !

LGuzik
04-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Woah! Nice work! I really like the voodoo/necromancer thing you got going on. The mount feels like it's right out of a dank swamp, add in the bloated,moss ridden corpses dragging behind, AMAZING! I mean the first more mammalian body I liked a lot, but this reptilian path fits in with the new direction. Maybe you don't want it's setting to be in a swamp, but oh man, with a dimly lit canopy and the flames of his saddle providing a creepily dim lighting scheme......that is where I want it to go :p But anyways, nice work, keep it up!

vikramvr
04-17-2009, 05:19 AM
That is sheer brilliance. It would be great if you could put in a quick tutorial or tips for fellow artists to paint like that..Love the concept..

BaronImpossible
04-17-2009, 09:40 AM
The last concept is great, it's all coming together really well. I'll certainly be following this one :)

DanielCortes
04-20-2009, 08:03 PM
hey Jack, how long will the wait last, youve got me on the edge of may chair, I want see what your cooking in that briliant maind, alright take your time... but...okay, I'll go bother some one ells, just wanted you to know your a big ispiration, keep it up!

yakonusuke
04-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks to y'all! Will response tomorrow, need some sleep first. :)
This is what I made today - a bit messy. When there's time left in the end I will make up some ugly parts.
http://mokiji.de/mokiji/263298.5723acfea351302419a9eeae21b06fe4.jpg

I hope to be able to show the modelingsheet of the mount tomorrow.

DanielCortes
04-20-2009, 10:25 PM
hey bro good to see you working...ha! I cant see anything, the sites having some problems right? anyhow maybe will work tomorrow, get some rest :thumbsup:

DanielCortes
04-21-2009, 09:20 AM
yes now I can see it, wow, I love your anatomy, and your appreciation for detail (truly an inspiration, right after my own heart :love: ). they say not to cry over spilt milk so it may be late to change anything, or maybe you like it that way. But I was thinking if you want to play around a little with his design, you could stretch the neck a little, just a tad longer, and that would make something about his body look odd, but nothing to weird just a touch, anyhow they call that ďbuscando la quinta pata al gatoĒ (trying to find the cats fifth leg) were I live, your stuff is looking as good as ever so keep it up, go go go, weíre almost there. Todo lo major loco Jack! :D

yakonusuke
04-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Muchas gracias, Daniel loco! :D Siempre tienes palabras motivadoras para mi!
The idea with the neck is quite nice, but I finally want to bring this to an end and
don't want to change anything anymore. But thanks!

Here are my finished concept and model sheets. Now I'm ready for the artwork. Yay!

And some thanks:

ROBOTTANK: Yeah, nice!

GaeasHerald: Hey thank you! Glad you think so!
Stutts: :thumbsup:

frigi: Hehe, no problem, thanks for that nitpicking.
-I won't change the height though. I'm pretty satisfied with it now. There was one sketch
with a lower position which I didn't felt comfortable with.
-I will put more affort in the frazzled fabric, you mean the skin I guess, on the body as well, but in the final piece. At this stage it was just to much work.
-Yeah you was right with the torch. I fixed it!

alexy: Great you like them! Thanks!

LGuzik: Thank you man! Pretty cool input you give me here. I hadn't exact plans fot the location yet, but I keep that in mind! :D

vikramvr : Thank you! Hm I think there's nothing I could show in a tutorial which isn't just the result of months over months of training and study. And there are lots of great artist which already showed how to render well. But maybe sometime in future when I get more expirience!

BaronImpossible: cool , I hope you'll enjoy the rest!

(Both a bit blury through the down scale, sry)
Modelsheet:
http://mokiji.de/mokiji/264056.a95bc1de70f95acd39cdb0c01dfe8abc.jpg

Conceptsheet:
http://mokiji.de/mokiji/264055.95808e180446aafe07bafcbef187603f.jpg

yakonusuke
04-23-2009, 02:58 PM
So here it goes.

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/264522.505ab13d61a07da2a306080d4d30821a.jpg

GaeasHerald
04-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Very cool composition Jakob, I specially like the dudes being pulled by the chains. Colouring of this one will be wicked :bounce:

ario
04-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Wow! Great job! awesome concept. I just can't wait to see the completed illustration.

Cheers:
Alireza

DanielCortes
04-23-2009, 10:16 PM
dale viejo! que bueno, I love it :love: and those guys in the back, the fire, the wind this will be a good one. Something I thought could even ad more emotion, is...let's see. You know when a big beast of burden is puling something and gets wiped by his master, he pulls his head up some in anger or agony with a roar. I thought that would look cool cuz there is no wipe it would give the elution that he-s mentally tormented by his master, and that would make your dude even scarier. I don-t know if it's clear but I totally visualized his head up to a 45 degree angle yelling, with his sober faced master in the back. Metele loco, it's looking good. :buttrock:

yakonusuke
04-25-2009, 10:57 AM
GaeasHerald, ario, live2contage: Thanks guys, glad bout that!

Daniel: Yepp, I rotated the head bit, thank you for that!

Actually I'm a bit concerned bout the pose and the angle of view, because there is a bit too
much happening around the prince with the torches and the ( not yet added ) cape.

This is how far I got yesterday.
But I' ll try another pose.

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/265432.b415c1917e78efc85fd06e5ec0fcff21.jpg

yakonusuke
04-25-2009, 11:38 PM
I decided to go on this one. So here it is, but without torches, which still are bugging me...

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/265758.c421d7f4a5c30e34f0f1c5a070aa46e1.jpg

ROBOTTANK
04-26-2009, 12:15 AM
you should still add the torches, just not so big, it seems in the perspective you have it at now, the torches wouldn't cover much of the character.

DanielCortes
04-26-2009, 12:24 PM
oh yes, Iím lovin it :bowdown: ! this is much more dynamic and you can appreciate the characters much more. I also really enjoy the contrast with the background, awesome mix, it gives you the feel something really when wrong with humanity...ha! the only thing I would do is pull the beasts head back a little more, and open his mouth so you can see a little inside, I think this would give more of the agony-torment sensation, you could get a really weird feel. Keep it up, but not to much or I start to feel like Iím way to slow (which is probably true :cry: , je). Metele loco Jack! :beer:

yakonusuke
04-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Robottank: Done, thanks! :)

Daniel: Hey , thanks for feedback, mate! Very appreciated as always!

So the next update is a big one. I turned the beast around, cause a lot got lost in the previous view.
I worked my ass off the whole day to get it nearly done. yesterday evening I did a thumb for the view and composition and today I did the rest. Phew...
Just a few things to add and fix + some overall rendering = final !
I' ll give you some steps of the wip later.

Cheers!

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/267347.7c6a84a8b14ac62ed39e7e7bb3429a00.jpg

FrozZT
04-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Hey!

Very nice.. I love the wing stumps on the main characters back. I think maybe the right front leg of the beast looks a bit stiff, maybe pull it back some for a more stable and relaxed feel. One thing to think about also is to maybe tone down the brightness of the sky a bit, to let the contrast play more between the shade in his headgear and the light in his eyes/face. Right now the contrast lies between the headgear and the sky. Since you left the other angles which was using the depth more, maybe still try to put some depth in the pose without loosing the angle, like making the tail bend into the depth of the picture, maybe tilt the head just very slightly towards the viewer becouse right now the profilic angle of the head looks a bit forced. Looking forward to your finish, i bet it'll be great! ;)

-Niklas

Alicce
04-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Hey, as I said before, I like it!
Are you going to use those colors on the last picture?

And why don't you add some characters that looks towards the observer? (even one of those victims behind)

Great work!

ShamesArt
04-29-2009, 10:04 PM
me too I really like it, the concept looks really original and rich, congratulation man

ROBOTTANK
04-29-2009, 10:27 PM
this composition is cool but I think I like the other one in post #94 better. It had a more natural flow and your character looked better and closer to the image.

MR
04-29-2009, 10:40 PM
I`m with FrotZT regarding the creature and with ROBOTTANK regarding the composition. I also liked post nr.94.

But hey, still a lot of time left..

GaeasHerald
04-30-2009, 04:11 AM
Hi Jakob, this is evolving brilliantly. I can't make any further contribution on the composition and pose, cause the guys before me have made excellent points.
My two cents would be to add some sort of glow to the flames on the character since your scence has a lot of atmosphere and downplay the flames on the back thu atmospheric perspective as well. I think making the air thicker through smoke & myst can help you to keep the focus on the character.

Hope it helps. :)

MartinNielsen
05-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Excellent work :) He's really in the "hot" seat ;) I agree, that the composition in #94 worked better though.

DanielCortes
05-08-2009, 01:44 AM
dont keep me waiting so long, I hope you get all the time you need to finish up, its coming great,and I check for updates every day. nos vemos loco jack.

NavigatorJones
05-09-2009, 02:31 AM
Hmm I disagree with the others, I think this pose and composition looks more natural, the mount looks more like he's interacting with his environment than he did previously.
Anyway great work no matter what! :D

yakonusuke
05-10-2009, 12:22 AM
I had to finish some other stuff the last days regarding my graduation, but now I have
some time again to finish that piece.

First of all thank you guys for the critics! Very appreciated. Some of them I tried to
implement- like turning the head a bit and the rear frontfood.
But I will go with this composition , even though a lot of you think the other feels better.
As mentioned the most details of the mount got lost in the frontal view.
So I think this is the better view to show my characters.

A few points I will realize in the next steps like the glow and maybe some opponents in the far on the right side. I already added a smashed robot in this area. :)

Very likely I will stick to this bright sky, instead of to tone it down. I don't
want to give the torches to much attention. That is also the reason why
I didn't put white in the flames to make them more shiny.

Here it goes:
+ some closeups

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/272725.6d333e630c77d8b76b0cb1f0abd6e186.jpg

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/272727.9dfb8e032fcb24a3d72e6b5498c8d6a4.jpg

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/272728.0d84497fb2b1fb15fa92c4160d9dcb02.jpg

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/272729.4585dee3665a2070ac5bafdd5758dda5.jpg

ShogunWarrior
05-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Hey jacob, your work is coming out just great. Good detailing and lighting. For me i lack all those skills. Just looking at your work is bringing in the mood of things. I love it man.. keep it up and hope to see the final result gl to you..

ChaosShannon
05-10-2009, 07:57 PM
This amazing I like the over composition, ? what made u come up with that background right there? Are still going to put the logo on there, I thought that we need to keep the logo visible, anyway Good, Great, Awesome, Keep rocking it!:buttrock:

ChaosShannon
DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158&page=3)

DanielCortes
05-12-2009, 05:55 PM
wow! I'm really enjoying this piece, its powerful and dramatic. I also enjoy the atmosphere with the devastation and building, mixing in with a fantasy type creature. I agree with sticking to this comp, good call. There are only 2 things I notice that at first glance might look a little of. One of them is the chains, there sagging were the mount is, and have tension on the other side. I figured its because their attached to a ring on the mount, maybe you can make it more noticeable. I also like what you did to the head but if you add a little more depth to the angle on the jaw line and maybe fiddle around with the eyes a bit it would help some. It gives me the impression itís a little flat now. Anyhow I donít know much about angles at all, but just an idea. Cant wait for your final entry, itís gonna be great. Cuidate loco Jack, un fuerte abrazo y gracias por siempre pasar a dar buenos consejos, nos veos man! :D

yakonusuke
05-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey guys!

Peter: Thanks man!

ChaosShannon: Thank you! I added the logo in this update. :)

Daniel: Tanks mate! You're right with that chain issue! I will try to solve that!
And same with the head. I had a strange feeling bout that part since i changed the angle, but good you made this advice!
Great to have you man, your opinion is always appreciated!

Y de nada! Si puedo me gusto ayudar otros! Muchas gracias a ti tambien!

update:

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/274361.812b51e7d881a262f6f6415767e96f27.jpg

Stutts
05-12-2009, 07:38 PM
:bowdown:AWESOME!!!:bowdown:

That's all I can say!

yakonusuke
05-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Stutts: :beer: !

Well. I think it's finished.

If you have suggestions let'em come! I will try to include them if I think it pushes the
result a lot.

If not, a big thanks for the support to everybody! I appreciate the time you took for me!

It was a great challenge! Next time will surely join again.

Good luck to ya all!

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/275318.a354e79b3d5ad0571c7625f96e3fb3ec.jpg

ROBOTTANK
05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
wow, very awesome man, I guess I only have a few minor things...I'd put a little highlight from the torches on the back of the horns, the hind legs look too thin near the ankles ( I'd put more muscle on them), and I think I'd like to see the flames redone on the torches, they just look a bit like paint brushes not flames. but regardless, wonderful job overall!

yakonusuke
05-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Thank you Robbottank! Yea... the torches suck.
Actually they bothered me since the first minute.
I will give it another try. Thank you for the support!

StefanoDubay
05-15-2009, 12:07 AM
all gr8 here!
one thing: if u harpoon something and u pull the arrow end will anchor in the victims flesh... while now they stick out from their back wasting the pull effect of course in case of a barbed harpoon you could have them sticking out more because of the barbs along the lenght, i know it's fairly minimal BUT tht's one of the first thing i saw looking at it...
I kniow also u were shooting for a very diffure lighting but having a more concrete shadows, mostly because of the light sources given by the flames, casting on the ground would weight the steed a bit more, u could tone up the lighting on the character because of them mostly on the hair strands on the little mean one..
i know u are probably sick and tired now but i would love u to use all the time given to make your outstanding work stand out even more!
keep it up master
ciao
S

Donglu-LittleFish
05-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Awesome work! Love the composition and the design. :thumbsup:

yakonusuke
05-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Thank you for the suggestions Stefano!
I fixed the harpoon issue, but changing the whole lighting would be too complicated to do last minute. Besides I like ground how it is so I wouldn't like it elsewise. :D But thanks again, very appreciated!

Thanks Donglu! Glad you think so!

Well I've redone some parts like the torches, which fit better now I think, but still aren't as great as I would have had them.

Deadline is near.
I won't change anything anymore. So it's done!

Thanks again to you for all the support! And lots of luck with the judging!

http://mokiji.de/mokiji/277369.e2520408cb91041a3f4af8a39788010c.jpg

GaeasHerald
05-18-2009, 05:48 PM
This is one of my favourites in the 2D category. I think you've got good chances of bringing a medal home. Best of luck Jakob!

OKMER
05-18-2009, 07:43 PM
One of my favs here.
Great work Jacob!
I know it's too late but maybe if the creature would have looked towards us ,could have been cool.Or his tail coming towards us to create just a tiny bit more deepness/3D feeling as there is already.
Anyway amazing concept & great execution!
All the best!
-Remko

ChaosShannon
05-18-2009, 07:53 PM
wow I will be voting for you man Like your work and style check mine out and tell me what you think....

ChaosShannon
DWIV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=282&t=746158&page=3)

yakonusuke
05-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Geraldo: Thanks again. :)

Remko: Thanks man! Too bad you didn't enter the war! Cheers mate

ChaosShannon: Thank you! I will do that.

StefanoDubay
05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
wunderbar main freund :D

is awesome, your style is top knotch, there is a great variation between the complex steed and the smooth look on the prince very effective
best wishes and good luck :D

johnwoo
05-21-2009, 02:36 AM
Holy S*$#!!!....stunning!!.. saved to my inspiration folder!!

MartinNielsen
05-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Cool final :thumbsup: It would be a pleasure doing it in 3d ;)

DanielCortes
05-21-2009, 06:27 PM
hey loco jack, what nice work. big inspiration to me the whole comp. your work was steady and it was good learning for me to follow your process. Thanks again for all your support during the comp it was a big help, see you around hermano! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2009, 06:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.