PDA

View Full Version : Stills: 3D Gallery

Daveaustin
07-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Hey everyone!

well i haven't posted anything in a good long while... so I figured it was about time to get my stuff up here again.. in a current work compilation..

a bit of info..
All my work has been modelled + rendered in Xsi3,
using an Athlon 1900+, 1Gb Ram, 128mb GF4 Ti

all the textures were created in Photoshop..

i'd love to hear what people think about my work, especially as i'm currently looking for a job, modelling for Tv/film..

GALLERY (http://www-scm.tees.ac.uk/users/group1/dave/renders/)

BTW, i'm in the process of adding wires to the site.. just to show what they look like 'naked'

and here's a few thumbnails to wet your appetite

http://www-scm.tees.ac.uk/users/group1/dave/renders/THUMBS/toy_box_1.jpg http://www-scm.tees.ac.uk/users/group1/dave/renders/THUMBS/TRUCK_1.JPG

notalking
07-07-2003, 02:21 PM
nothing but lovely:}

Daveaustin
07-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Cheers Matey!!:thumbsup:

nice to get good feedback

GavinG
07-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Hey man,

Really cool work, there's some nice shots in there.

The only crit is that on one of the shots you can see by the gear shift it looks blocky, still awesome work though :)

You work in XSI?

Good Job,
Gav

Daveaustin
07-07-2003, 05:48 PM
hey thanks Gav...

The only crit is that on one of the shots you can see by the gear shift it looks blocky, still awesome work though

i know what you mean, but the blocky bits are actually switches.. except they aren't really visible in that render.. I guess the edges could do with a bit more bevelling...make em more "crappy plasticy" looking as well as the switch divides...

an yeh it's true..i've worked with Xsi since it was released... and soft 3D before that.. so i'm a Softimage kinda guy

..but having said that i am getting to grips with Maya

GavinG
07-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Cool man, I'm also making the switch to Maya...XSI will always be the first true love though :)

I figured that they were switches of some kind...probably wouldn't be that visible in an animation or anything anyways...I'd assume :)

Just saw the 50's diner stuff, looks really cool. I'm really into that sort of idea. I would've chipped the paint a little more on the "Food" sign, but that's personal prefs...really cool.

Again, good work
Gav

Daveaustin
07-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Thanks mate...

yeh, the whole 50's diner/gas station was a set for our short film "In The Dead of Night" a classic tale of 2 young lovers fleeing hoards of rotting zombies! the old B-movie classic...

I really loved making that environment.. especially as it was the first big thing i did after leaving uni! and modelling something like that really gets you familiar with xsi's shortcuts! plus it makes you look at real life places/objects in a different light... I was seeing the world as a wireframe at one point :surprised

if you're interested, take a look at the film web site in my signature at the bottom... there's some test anims, and characters as well... basically a lil chunk of eye candy!

I can see what you mean about the chipped paint... but i think the harsh lights make what red paint there is, cover up what areas are chipped off... and especially from a distance, with DoF...

but cheers for noticing!

BgDM
07-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Nice work!

That G.I. Joe jeep render brought back a lot of memories. I think my parents still have that thing kickin around somewhere.

BgDM

mattmos
07-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Very nice work dude! The shots are great, and I checked out the In The Dead of Night website, which was very impressive.

Just because I try to come up with a crit for each post: there's something wierd going on with the shadows on that table with the cigarette pack. Maybe it's just because I can't figure out where the light is.

All the best with the job hunt...

Riptyde
07-07-2003, 09:37 PM
Just some crits on the layout of the gallery site.
1- one layout of the rc car is plenty, there really is nothing different about the second that would require having it up there again.

2- In the first layout of the rc car, use a different veiw or closeup as a side image.

combined with the 2 layouts you end up showing the same thing 3 times.

It just something I wouldn't do.

Nice gallery though. Great attention to detail.

Riptyde

Daveaustin
07-07-2003, 09:46 PM
thanks Riptyde,

v helpful comments about the site.. i'll take into account all the crits on the rc car... gonna do some re-rendering, and also add some wf's just to spice it up a bit! that should sort out the bad repetition

hopefully you'll check back, and see if it looks better?

mattmos :
i know what you mean about the weird looking shadows... the light is coming from a neon strip pretty much overhead.. so the light under the lighter is inline with the body of it, and so it looks strange,
thanks for the praise! hopefully the job situation will be sorted soon.... fingers crossed!

BgDM :
thanks mate! I never owned one of those beauties, i was more a transformers and star wars kid! I'm in the process of texturing it.. so no doubt i'll be updating this site in the future!

Daveaustin
07-08-2003, 09:28 AM
any more comments.. anyone???!

thanks to everyone who's already commented n critted, those reworkings are in progress

come on.. i really need to know what you think, because prospective employers are going to see this.. it really does need to be the dog's doodaas!

if you've spotted something other than what's been mentioned already, then please tell me!

don't hold back now, i'm a big lad.. i can take it
Cheers in advance

Daveaustin
07-10-2003, 11:07 AM
NEW RENDERS

check out the site... and i'd love to get any feedback!

NEW AND IMPROVED GALLERY!! (http://www-scm.tees.ac.uk/users/group1/dave/renders/)

I hope i've taken into account all the 'problems' people have mentioned before.. and that i'm a bit closer to getting a job :rolleyes:

http://www-scm.tees.ac.uk/users/group1/dave/renders/THUMBS/NIKKO_3.JPG http://www-scm.tees.ac.uk/users/group1/dave/renders/THUMBS/lighter_2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.