PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: Enhance your Blender Renders with Textured Lighting

kernond
03-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Here's a text-based tutorial that I created to help you spice up your scenes with textured lighting. We’ll take a look at how simple it is to drastically effect the look and feel of your renders by applying textures to lighting. Applying a texture to a light is generally the same as applying a texture to an object. The only difference is that we’ll be projecting the texture into the scene based on the light settings.

http://www.blendernewbies.com/Images/blog/textured_lighting.jpg

Although not a lighting tutorial that goes into great details of the lighting setups, we will take a look at the basic function of the lights within the different scenes. We’ll also cover how to create your own simple textures for the lighting. The last example will show how simple it is to use a video as a light texture.

You can view the tutorial at CGCookie.com. (http://www.cgcookie.com/articles/2009/03/12/enhance-your-blender-renderings-with-textured-lighting)

harkyman
03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey kernond -- that's a nice tutorial. Very good looking sample images, too. Not many people realize how easy it is to enhance your renders by putting a "mask" on your key lamps like that. Hopefully a lot of folks will click through and read it.

Did you know that with colorizable shadows (2.48) that you can actually use a texture for shadow color? That's one of the little goodies I slipped in, but never publicized.

kernond
03-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks!

I stumbled onto the Shadow feature you mentioned, but I didn't have enough time to really check it out. It definitely sounds useful. I'll have to take a closer look at it. Thanks for all of the code contributions!

kilon
03-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Thank you for this useful tutorial , it certainly can create some useful effects.

BlenderFan
03-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Great tutorial, I had been wondering how to do that.

DarkBlueArt
03-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Hello

Thank you very much for sharing this tutorial! I didn't even know, there is the possibility to do such things. I bet, with coloured shadows, there are many possibilities to create cool effects. I gonna have to try it.

so long

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2009, 08:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.