PDA

View Full Version : Another Output format question!

tonyg3d
03-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm just discovering the joy's of After Effects and Premiere and wondered if someone could help me with a question.

I'm working a project in 3d (Cinema 4d), from which, i'm exporting individual scene's as Tiff Frames from Cinema 4d, compiling them in After Effects and exporting as movie scene's for compiling again in Premiere pro! Then sometimes going back with a compiled movie from Premiere Pro back into After effects to add titles...! :)

Now, i'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong here, as I said, i'm just learning about using these programs, but I wanted to ask one main thing...

What format would be best to output these movies as, to incur no loss of quality at any of the stages i've mentioned? (This doesn't include final output as I presume compression will be needed for viewing on web etc.)

Hope this all makes sense!? Thanks in advance.

OSX 10.4.11 - AE CS3 - Prem Pro CS3

danlefeb
03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
My preferential format to bounce between programs is usually an uncompressed Quicktime.

tonyg3d
03-13-2009, 05:49 PM
My preferential format to bounce between programs is usually an uncompressed Quicktime.

Hey Danlefeb. That's what I thought! Files end up a little on the large side but if that what it takes for no lack of image quality, then that's what it takes! :)

Thanks for your reply. :thumbsup:

danlefeb
03-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Indeed it does. Luckily hard drive space is pretty cheap these days! Usually I find it's helpful to delete the really huge transfer files when you archive your projects to save on space - as long as you keep your source files, you can re-render them if you have to years down the line...I ran into this recently, and it was real easy because opening the Premiere project gave me the file names as well as the offline files I had deleted so it was just a matter of re-rendering them and relinking the files.

tonyg3d
03-13-2009, 11:22 PM
I just did that funnily enough. I looked back and realised my original AE export mov that I made my first Premiere cut with, had compression on. So i re-imported, exported without compression and reloaded the files into the time-line. I didn't think of re-linking the working files in the Bin. But I will now!

Thanks again.

I might even post up my first animation if anyone's interested. :)

TomThumb
03-14-2009, 12:16 AM
I might even post up my first animation if anyone's interested. :)
Of course we're interested! ;)

tonyg3d
03-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Have been doing a lot of reading up (mainly this forum!)

Apparently the best thing to do is actually keep everything you use as non-compressed (No compression) ie, mov files.

When you come to do your final export, use Quicktime Pro as your compressor...

danielHinton
03-14-2009, 06:14 PM
if you want to get really anal, you could do the following:

all source files as uncompressed video (avi, mov, whatever)

keep everything in one folder - including C4d/ae/premiere project files

when you're done, zip/pack/rar the whole folder up. this preserves any file links (especially those used by AE) and in some cases you can get say 30gb of files down to 2gb. handy for storing on an external HDD or DVD....

tonyg3d
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Of course we're interested! ;)

Well, here's the animation. Based on an original idea from myself I wanted to see if I could use Cinema 4d, After Effects and Premiere pro to produce this as best I could.
It's a self promo piece for my new website (in production) to sell myself as an animator too! :)

Comments welcome;

Money Matters (http://www.tonygold3d.com/public/MoneyMatters.mov)

Tony.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.