PDA

View Full Version : DemoReel - Rig / Tools : EricDLegare

EricDLegare
03-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Here is a compilation of some 2006-2009 cartoony work I just put together :)

Download my Demo Reel Here ( Right-clic / Save As... ) (http://www.squeezestudio.com/EDL/Eric_D_Legare__Demo_Reel.zip)

OR check the YOUTUBE version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgAJH-Kgb0E)

I would like to add that I gave comments on most rigging reels I have seen on this forum, so please help me back by commenting my reel ^_^. The feedback will help me to get my demo reel ready for the feature film industry ;).

By the way, the DTools shown in this reel are available for download on my website (http://www.EricDLegare.com) !

Hope you enjoy it :wavey: Heres a little breakdown :
http://www.squeezestudio.com/EDL/Breakdown.jpg

If you liked it you can also take a look at my older reels, they are also online :)

ALL MY OLD REELS ARE HERE (http://www.youtube.com/user/EricDLegareDemoReels#grid/uploads)

danielhuertas
03-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Uhhhh Great Reel Eric! since you created the D-Tools i cannot live without them!! :) D-puppet looks awesome as well and i cannot wait to put my hands on it! hehehehe

all the best!

squeezestudio
03-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Really nice reel my friend ! Great tools, great rigs... wooo !

Cant wait to see D-Puppet available on the web, theses rigs will be really cool for animators!

Congradulation !

skellybobbly
03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Hiya,

Awesome rigging on display there!
DPuppet looks fantastic, can't wait to animate with it one day!

:)

Cheers

Jon

EricDLegare
03-13-2009, 04:00 PM
I have been having some serious HDD issues lately so that delayed the DPuppet developpement :(

Trying to get back in production ASAP :)

ragdoll
03-13-2009, 04:28 PM
great reel! top level stuff! :thumbsup: 5

jamesjhunt
03-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Awesome stuff Eric! :thumbsup: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Like everyone else I'm also looking forward for the DPuppet.

Keep up the good work!

/J

danielhuertas
03-13-2009, 05:06 PM
what about D-tools for maya? :) I KNOW you can do it! :D

EricDLegare
03-13-2009, 05:09 PM
what about D-tools for maya? :) I KNOW you can do it! :D

I am currently learning Maya ( this time it's for real ! ) so the DTools for Maya are now a real project :wip:

gingamonkey
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi Eric,

Stunning looking rig/setup, you don't normally see stuff of this magnitude coming out of Max. HOW have you done those lovely little floating windows?!
Love the little character at the start of the reel - He looks a dream to animate with! :bowdown:

This has GOT to make it to the front page - Best rigging stuff I've seen in Max.

Beautiful stuff dude! ME WANT (please!) !!!

ps. Nice little website you've got going on there! ;)

EricDLegare
03-13-2009, 07:44 PM
HOW have you done those lovely little floating windows?!

The DPuppet window uses a custum written interface system made in MaxScript ( it's RESIZABLE ;) ).

All the other windows are made using standard MaxScript interface objects.

ErikE
03-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Awesome stuff Eric! I really like what you did with the DPuppet interface, very cool

Animator-K
03-14-2009, 01:01 PM
great rigging and animation, special sketch with viewpoint is so cool, five star :thumbsup:

liquidik
03-14-2009, 07:16 PM
The D-Puppet rig seems really an awesome character to animate. Too bad I'm not a Max animator ;)

Great stuff, 5 stars!

.Gian

Yassine4d
03-15-2009, 06:21 PM
That is Absolutely Insane

5 Stars from me

congratulations

EricDLegare
03-15-2009, 06:31 PM
That is Absolutely Insane

5 Stars from me

congratulations

Well I remember your toon car from a while ago, it was pretty awesome too so thanks ! :)

Helgi
03-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Great rig/tools, seems wonderful to animate! To me, the controls seem a bit confusing / overwhelming in some places but that feeling probably goes away as soon as you try it.

I'm also loving the 2d animation tool you wrote! Great stuff!

luigi
03-16-2009, 09:48 AM
great reel eric , love both bits.
tools and rigging, a good rig always have to come with good tools for manipulating it.Really well paced and in a good time 3:30. I am myslef doing a td reel and have to do 4 minutes of rig and another of 4 minutes of tools.find quite dificult to get a td reel short.

You are not the only one who si learning maya :) is always great to learn how otehr package does stuff , but really happy to see the max rigging showreel are going more and more advance.

Great real expired my morning , dppupet and dviewpaint are my favorites.

EricDLegare
03-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I am myslef doing a td reel and have to do 4 minutes of rig and another of 4 minutes of tools.find quite dificult to get a td reel short.

8 Minutes of material ? Ouch ! I guess you could post it here and people could help you choose the most relevant material :P

luigi
03-16-2009, 04:40 PM
yep , but i have already showed to a few people and take out alot.

but they are not the main rel the amin rel is ony the jobs i ben working on and is around 2 minutes.

the other too are a bit more long , and is for people who wants to see specific stuff rigging or tools or both.

Soon i wil post ti hear and see what you and other people think , i already ahs shiow to brad noble, charles looker(eek) and a few more and they have like it

wamo
03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey Eric!
Great Tools, i like them realy..very usefull, something very intersting for me in the Reel is the Control UI for the character, and hey you are not alone during learning Maya :) ,Good luck!

EricDLegare
03-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Hey Eric!
Great Tools, i like them realy..very usefull, something very intersting for me in the Reel is the Control UI for the character, and hey you are not alone during learning Maya :) ,Good luck!

I'm joining the fun :P

EricDLegare
03-16-2009, 07:50 PM
great rigging and animation
The Animation of FERN was done by Patrick Beaulieu ( www.SqueezeStudio.com (http://www.SqueezeStudio.com) ) :beer: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

I also want to thank Daniel Huertas ( www.DAnimating.com (http://www.DAnimating.com) ) because him and Pat really helped me with their Animator Requests for rigs and tools which led to DPuppet and the DTools :beer: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Dimich
03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Fabulously inspirational, Eric:) Fantastic reel, amazing work, and a total awesomeness!

I got a few questions:

-DPuppet: is that UI a DotNet UI?
-Fern: is the facial UI also DotNet?
-DTrajEdit: is this only for viewing the trajectories of different parts, or also for editing? Also, are you using splines for that?

Again, thanks a whole bunch, this made my day quite a bit more interesting and brighter:) Always love finding interesting new stuff:)

EricDLegare
03-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I got a few questions:

-DPuppet: is that UI a DotNet UI?
-Fern: is the facial UI also DotNet?
-DTrajEdit: is this only for viewing the trajectories of different parts, or also for editing? Also, are you using splines for that?

- The DPuppet UI is a double-bitmap-buffer, it's a big bitmap that is rendered by the ''engine'' I made that also uses a collision map to have buttons of irregular shapes ( compared to square buttons ) it was lots of fun :wavey:

- The Fern Facial UI is a more standard MaxScript UI that uses empty bitmaps for the little squares ( the joysticks ), this UI is really old so nothing fancy there :blush:

- DTrajEdit is only used to display Arcs and SpacingDots and yes it uses a spline with a Transformation Change Callback to update the spline ( I tought that there would be performance issues with that way but it seams that updating the position of all vertices on a spline is not that bad performance-wise ) :applause:

Also you can try them for yourself :P the DTools are all available at www.EricDLegare.com (http://www.EricDLegare.com)

Ranimate
03-17-2009, 02:54 PM
yo Eric, now this is what I call RIGS!
Great reel presentation man, clean and to the point!
Its a great tool you created there to draw in/plan the animation in the 3d software, Im a maya user myself and Jason schleifer (The man!), also wrote a script like that, helped me alot.
The Duppet rigs look awesome! I wish they could have been available for us mayans?
5* from me
:bowdown:

Ranimate

PEN
03-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Eric, Fantastic work as always. I love the UI's that you have created and the drawing tool was really nice. Can I ask how you are doing the drawing? That was some of the best work that I have seen in a long time. Wish I could get out of my little 3D world and work with others out there like your self.

EricDLegare
03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Can I ask how you are doing the drawing?

Well the drawing uses the GW interface, it's only a list of coordinates that I gather with the mouse position then I use the DrawLine from the GW...

... Ah ! But what about the wider brushes ? Well in that case the same line is drawn multiple times with an offset ! :scream:

Getting to refresh the viewport with 3d stuff behind, with animation, was the biggest challenge :P

ThreeDSnack
03-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow. Imagine if I had all that with Maya. Keep workin on it man!

RobertoOrtiz
03-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Great rigs!
Plugged!

BTW Posted a mirror on Youtube:
Eric D Legare Demo Reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOM6AxMG088)

-R

LloydColaco
03-18-2009, 03:13 AM
Impressive stuff dude, the rigs look awesome and I'm sure the animators love it!...
...It's also nice to see something different.

Just one question, WHEN will DPuppet be available?

RockinAkin
03-18-2009, 03:26 AM
Holy crap man - amazing rigging reel! :eek:
Keep up the great work!

visionmaster2
03-18-2009, 04:18 AM
amazing work. perfect demo reel. i Cant wait to use your tools :cool:
thank you :beer:

mfiorilli
03-18-2009, 04:39 AM
great stuff !

RustyGray
03-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Great Reel! Cant wait to try out the tools as well.

labbejason
03-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Hey man, I caught one of the lead animators messing around with your viewport drawing tool the other day. Good stuff! Dpuppet looks crazy cool! Good to see what you've been up to lately. Later!

Mrguy
03-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Very awesome very inspiring!

mickatt
03-18-2009, 10:09 AM
amazing piece of work !!
And it's only for 3dsmax cooool :)

BTW for the demo editing I would love to see a little more facial animation process.

Congrats

Piddu
03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Very nice tools and rigs.
5 stars from me. :)

CodeVeroby
03-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Great ! I always like seeing good Rigging Reels, 5/5 !

Klicek
03-18-2009, 11:41 AM
insane !:bowdown::bowdown: .

ydiaz
03-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Congratulations Eric, unbelievable reel, your DTools are a blessing for all us Max animators, thank you very much for those. Can't wait for DPuppet it's by far the most intuitive interface I've seen for a rig, thanks again for that!!

A minor critique: maybe it was me but while watching the reel I had some diffulties reading the text on the lower part of the screen and realizing what was going on, most of the time I was looking at the center part of the screen and only when I got completely lost I resorted to the text below so I probably missed quite a lot of text. Maybe it would be clearer to place it closer to the action? Perhaps a little more contrast to show change so it catches the viewer's eye?

In any case your work is amazing, please keep it up and above all: Don't abandon us 3dsMax users for Maya! PLEASE! ;)

SiNo
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi,

Great works, really opened my eyes!
Very Inspiring.

em3
03-18-2009, 11:56 AM
thank you sir. This is fantastic stuff!!

Finotti
03-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm maya user and i'm very impressed with your tools. Congratulations. This work gives us a up to keep study more and more.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Issam-Z
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
My man!!!
Congrats...I already told you how solid your work was.
I am proud of you man, keep at it!

:applause:

benytone
03-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Really nice job :thumbsup:

divi
03-18-2009, 12:32 PM
what to say other than amazing?

danielhuertas
03-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Uhhhhh!! look who got featured "front page"???

OHHH GOOOOD FOR YOUUUU!!! (Christian Bale style) :P

congratz man!! c-ya on sunday :)

tinitus
03-18-2009, 12:42 PM
awesome rigs and scripts eric!

Dtools for maya sounds great..!

cheers!

PEN
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Once again Eric, congrats on the front page. Very well done.

Fabiomussarela
03-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Awesome Eric :) congratulations :)

Tmaniac
03-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Nice Mister Legaré ...your totally insane ! Really nice rig ! Btw ..you're back at Ubisoft or you just forgo to change your infos ? :surprised

Ballo
03-18-2009, 01:55 PM
amazing work! congrats.

Zoober
03-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Congrats on the front page and great work!

Mathieson
03-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Awesome work Eric! I really like the look and feel of your interfaces. They must be a lot of work, but I bet the animators love them.

Good job!

eek
03-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Nice work Eric, love to discuss some cool ideas sometime.

Pikmin
03-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Great work, I mean excellent! So, we will see DPuppet soon?

csaez
03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Great reel :bowdown:

xyzman
03-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Wow man, the tools you create for max are awsome!!...and if you say that is going to be free is even better.

Thank you very much for improving something that the "big companys" should do. {;¬)

ajitsinghyadav
03-18-2009, 09:00 PM
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2889/dviewpaint.jpg

Amazing Tool (DViewPaint) would love to see for Maya users too......

EDIT:- Image link edit :)

EricDLegare
03-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Amazing Tool (DViewPaint) would love to see for Maya users too......

Oh please, don't hotlink the image from my site in a FrontPage Thread ( I am already overbandwith for this month )

:beer:

ShadowM8
03-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Topnotch stuff Eric!

ajitsinghyadav
03-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Oh please, don't hotlink the image from my site in a FrontPage Thread ( I am already overbandwith for this month )

Opps Image link edited......:beer:

JamSession
03-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Great work! Especially in Max where maxscript isn't the easiest and most friendly programming languages!

As for his DViewPaint in Maya, Jason Schleifer (was a character TD for Weta LOTR and now supervising animator for Dreamworks) created one several years ago called js_greasePencil.mel I am sure if you googled it, you will be able to find it.

ajitsinghyadav
03-19-2009, 12:53 AM
As for his DViewPaint in Maya, Jason Schleifer created js_greasePencil.mel

Yes i have used Jason Schleifer - GreasePencil and also China Marker 2.0.0 (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/interface_display/China-Marker-4348.html) MEL but they lack a lot.

it should be like Flipbook

Check out Animation Tools DigitalFish Animation Tools - Reflex (http://www.digitalfish.com/products/animators/) have.........

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1171/reflexuismalln.jpg

viiltaja
03-19-2009, 02:24 AM
So amazing setups. I just love those UI's! I have to show this tomorrow at work to people. That must take like million years to learn but this really gives me a boost to study more rigging.

EricDLegare
03-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Check out Animation Tools DigitalFish Animation Tools - Reflex (http://www.digitalfish.com/products/animators/) have.........

Yes, I have been waiting for this software to be release for a while now !

RELEASE-IT ! WE WANT :arteest:

minifong
03-19-2009, 11:47 AM
it's my first time i see drawing in the viewport.. I'm gonna check out those mels later :)
I like your demoreel and your rig.. the fact that you can key the constraint to world or head easily.. hope to see everything in maya :D good luck!!

IkerCLoN
03-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Awesome demo, Eric. Definitely, one of those that inspires you to improve your work (when I say 'you', I really mean 'me' ;)).

Keep rockin'!

Konarovic
03-19-2009, 04:43 PM
really really nice

squall787
03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
The reel looks and feels great, i just downloaded the tools and will definitely apply them to my professional work flow. Amazing that they are free. Thanks for such great tools!

Great Work!

kikiriki
03-19-2009, 10:17 PM
I only know the basics of rigging, so I'm not qualified to judge. But this looks very impressive to me!

AVTPro
03-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Me again.

Great Job.

FUG1T1VE
03-20-2009, 01:33 AM
those are some awesome scripts for max. I could be wrong but its the first time i see viewpaint or something similar for max. Been Using Jason S. maya tool for a while. THANKS for sharing them.

Anyhow I also felt that the lower right hand text was hard to follow as they changed often I resorted to pausing your reel to read the description, perhaps a quick pop on on the upper left portion of the screen would be a bit more noticeable.

Thats my only crit.

Above all great reel and super cool tools.

CarlosA
03-20-2009, 01:37 AM
pretty groovy stuff man!
most inspiring!
i really like what your doing man keep it up !
cheers!

DanVL
03-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Woohoo great stuff! always glad to see things are going well for you! ^_^

splinterD
03-20-2009, 08:10 AM
amazing work !!
can you do a tut or post an explanation on how the lip rigging is set up in max ?
i mean how do you add those points to deform the mesh on top of the morph targets ???
i cant find it anywere and i keep running in to dependecy loop errors when i try to do it ???
please help!
cant wait for your tools to be ready , GET IT DONE !!! :) hehe
cheers

sakeo
03-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Amazing. :bowdown:

EricDLegare
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
can you do a tut or post an explanation on how the lip rigging is set up in max ?
i mean how do you add those points to deform the mesh on top of the morph targets ???
i cant find it anywere and i keep running in to dependecy loop errors when i try to do it ???
please help!

I never did such setup sorry...

splinterD
03-20-2009, 02:03 PM
hehe soory , i guess i had some over lapping with another reel but yours realy is amazing and looks really friendly
soory about the confusion , keep on the good work
( i still would love to hear from u if u have any idea how to do what i was looking for )
cheers

foxco
03-20-2009, 04:58 PM
I have not been on cgtalk in a while and It's always good to return to see quality work.

good job.

Cheers

mmkelly011881
03-21-2009, 01:28 AM
I am currently learning Maya ( this time it's for real ! ) so the DTools for Maya are now a real project :wip:

WOOO!!

very sharp reel man.. cant wait to see some of this stuff for Maya

geniusdev_anshu
03-21-2009, 05:40 AM
this is awesome, i'l surely check these tools. will u be developing dviewpaint for max 2009?

eklectric
03-22-2009, 09:41 PM

Oooooo Maya, then I'm all ears!!! it looks like a really wonderful powertool! props to you!!!

LuizAmaralTD
03-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi there Eric!
Preeeeeety cool!!! :buttrock:

Best regards!

Luiz

EricDLegare
03-24-2009, 11:18 AM
this is awesome, i'l surely check these tools. will u be developing dviewpaint for max 2009?

Yes, yes I will try to do that soon, I know that a lot of people are waiting for this one, still I don't know yet what autodesk changed with the viewport which screwed DViewpaint :(

I'll try to get time soon :thumbsup:

luvictu
03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
hi Eric, this is an amazing rigging reel. I love the GUIs for their simplicity and their design as well, and the animation tools are great. I personally would like to see more of your rigs' features showed in the reel :-)

EricDLegare
03-24-2009, 07:38 PM
hi Eric, this is an amazing rigging reel. I love the GUIs for their simplicity and their design as well, and the animation tools are great. I personally would like to see more of your rigs' features showed in the reel :-)

Well thanks ! Espescialy coming from you ! (You sure know how to present a Demo Reel in a clean and professional way!):love:

cgmadvin
03-25-2009, 12:52 PM
very nice work. Well done. :)

ashutoshguru
03-29-2009, 04:28 AM
Really DON'T know what to say.. can't wait to get my hands on DPuppet..
Thanks.

MayaV
03-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Awesome stuff ERIC. Looking forward to the release of the Dpuppet tools.

Thanks a Ton :-)

MayaV

EricDLegare
04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Well thanks everyone ! I'm glad you enjoyed it, I will work on the ''Explanation Rectangle'' to make it more obvious.

Woah :P We are at 91 replies :P current highest number of replies is 99, we can do it ! :p

skellybobbly
04-02-2009, 11:12 AM
More than 99...It's easy Eric, just get Dpuppet finished and online and the replies will pass 199 ;)

Cheers

Jon

LuizAmaralTD
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
here goes the reply number 95 :p

Eric, your reel is truely inspiring, now I will have to go after a "Double bitmap buffer resizable interface" of my own! :drool: :applause: realy, realy cool feature!!! (as everything else)

Regards,

Luiz

oliveUK
04-19-2009, 02:13 PM
I will have a go at 96 ;-)

Oh man, I don't come often to CGTalk but this made my day. I have been forced to use Maya for the past few years but looking at your reel I would really want to spend some time in Max now.

The sketching tool looks really really sweet. Being able to sketch in the viewport is something I always wanted to do and your tool will allow me to do in style ;-)

Great stuff and thanks for sharing

dhnerurkar
04-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Hi Eric. Your work is very intricate indeed. I would definitely like to try out the tools that you have shown. I had a little hard time following some of the functions in the tools but that's probably because I am a newbie :) . May be after going through the reel multiple times I will get a better idea. Thanks for posting such great work...very inspirational.

Dev

SandeepMaithani
04-27-2009, 08:10 AM
........awesome stuff..........truly inspirational...

Cheers

Sandy

EricDLegare
05-26-2009, 04:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your support ! ;)
I just moved to Vancouver to work at Frantic Films :love:

Yes, FILM ! :)

I am also redesigning my website :D

visionmaster2
05-26-2009, 04:33 AM
congrats to you !
and thank your for sharing your amazing work.

labbejason
05-26-2009, 04:49 AM

However, reduced to one monitor :P

Nice having you on!

ajitsinghyadav
08-04-2009, 12:40 AM

Good Luck :thumbsup:

waiting for D-puppet :p

ragdoll
08-04-2009, 03:07 AM

did you do the fancy flash work on your new site?
damn. you DMan Eric :D

alichenari
08-08-2009, 09:35 AM
hi eric Awesome stuff . very easy for animate;)

EricDLegare
08-27-2009, 02:24 AM
I also uploaded my old reels on youtube as well.

It`s always fun to look back at old stuff and ask "what was I thinking?".

It`s always nice to have some references of things to do and not to do in a reel.

ALL THE REELS ARE HERE (http://www.youtube.com/user/EricDLegareDemoReels#grid/uploads)

:wavey:

ZTRONG
08-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Dear Eric :

Congratulations on your new job, Fantastic!

Also wondering if you have an estimate as when are the rigging tools going to be available?

Thanks in advance and once again, congrats!

sportcap
08-27-2009, 10:27 PM
So cool and great work of you. Your webpage also caught me, I don´t know how many times i refreshed just to see the paper & paintsplatter animation.
Two thumbs up!

EricDLegare
08-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Also wondering if you have an estimate as when are the rigging tools going to be available?

Well unfortunately I can't really tell when I am going to release tools or rigs because I just don't know, they are personal projects on which I work when I have time outside work. Someday... someday... :beer:

Hordak
08-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow... Great reel.

ChrisCandide
01-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Just saw the article on 3d total. Man wishing D-Puppet was availalble. Guess we will have to continue to wait.

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2010, 05:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.