PDA

View Full Version : What college degrees necessary (if any) for job consideration in the industry?

hairston630
03-13-2009, 03:52 AM
Hi Guys and Gals!,

Im new to the forum (and to the world of CGI) and just had a few questions for those that are skilled in the field of animation and visual effects. I have been searching online for colleges (preferrably online degrees) and trying to match criteria of some of the larger companies in the visual effects industry and am kind of in a slump of confusion. Is it really a necessity to have a bachelor or master degree to be considered for an animation or visual effects position in the industry or is it possible to have an associates in fine arts or multimedia as well as some production experience. Im really green when it comes to advancing in the visual effects world and would like some clarification.

I understand that talent is probably the key component but I was concerned with having the talent without the education and if that is a limiting factor to get your foot in the door to a big company in the industry. Could you please give me some advice on this subject? I have looked into a college "Academy of Art University" and the tuition for a bachelors is absolutely rediculous (upwards of 90k) but its about the only one that I can attend without relocating (there are no visual effects and animation schools in my area). Im not sure if its helpful to mention this but my vision is to not only work for an industry but also do my own filmmaking with visual effects and animation implemented in (Live action with CGI and visual effects such as maya and pftrack). Thanks in advance!

Hairston

MrPositive
03-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately, there is no right and wrong answer to that question. In essence, there are a multitude of avenues for getting into the industry. Many are self taught, some get online training or what I'd term, quick CG training, and others get the full degrees. Some questions you need to ask yourself:
Do I mind having debt after school?
Is your personality geared as an individual go getter, or do you work better with a mentor and teams?
Is there a possibility that you could do something else later in life? A degree could protect you. You can use almost any Bachelor's to get in other fields for further Professional education.
How fast do you need to get into the industry? If speed is of the essence, then self training, or online/local training at a college might suit you. If time is not that big of a factor, then again, a degree is possible.
Shape your education around your personal needs and it will help you make the right decisions. Again, this forum is new, and we will be putting up a very extensive and organized school sticky for everyone to peruse. Hopefully, that will help users immensely.

hairston630
03-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Thank you very much for the response Mr Positive. That reply was very very helpful :).

Hairston

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2009, 03:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.