PDA

View Full Version : bones!!!

clarix
07-07-2003, 04:14 AM
Hi everyone!!!

I am using an existing skeleton for another character, but now I would like to scale the bones to fit the new character or add more bones!!!

How do I do that??? Because I still have the Ik handle and when I scale a bone it wont work!!

CGIExpert
07-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by clarix
Hi everyone!!!

I am using an existing skeleton for another character, but now I would like to scale the bones to fit the new character or add more bones!!!

How do I do that??? Because I still have the Ik handle and when I scale a bone it wont work!!

You could group [ctrl-g] the whole thing, and then rescale the skeleton through the group. Thats what I did when I had a similar problem.

MasonDoran
07-07-2003, 10:31 AM
group the rig to itself(make sure the geometry is not in the group) and scale the group node. scaling individual bones can be a headache when you have ik and or constraints already connected but it should be possible to do so if you select the bone and scale via the attribute editor

clarix
07-07-2003, 04:05 PM
thanx guys but since I have Iks and so on it just wont work:annoyed:

CGIExpert
07-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by 2byts
group the rig to itself(make sure the geometry is not in the group) and scale the group node. scaling individual bones can be a headache when you have ik and or constraints already connected but it should be possible to do so if you select the bone and scale via the attribute editor
Thats what I just said. :rolleyes:

CGIExpert
07-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by clarix
thanx guys but since I have Iks and so on it just wont work:annoyed:
Yes it will. I just did it yesterday. Make sure that you select the skeleton through the hypergraph, so that you get EVERYTHING.

modi
07-07-2003, 08:02 PM
depending on how u've rigged your character grouping can sometimes be an issue. Try selecting the IK handles (LEGS and HANDS) + the top node of your characters skeleton(not the geometry) and group them together. That usually works to scale the character around.

clarix
07-08-2003, 04:05 PM
I can scale the whole thing but not individual bones!!!

h0tice
07-09-2003, 02:16 AM
precisely you cannot scale individual bones in a setup with ik, if you have main curve controller in your setup that is the parent of the rootJoint and the controllers it should work when you scale the main controller.

Buexe
07-12-2003, 04:08 PM
I think that scaling bones is a sin and I would avoid it unless there is no other solution (scale a parent joint to a very low value and than try to rotate child joints to see what
i mean) but anyway how about this one:

1. turn off ik solving
2. scale your bones (why not try translating them ?)
3. put the ik solvers AND effectors in the appropriate place
4. turn on ik solving

Good luck!
buexe

h0tice
07-14-2003, 02:35 AM
one problem that arise when you scale skeleton heirarchy is that the child is enlarged or reduced into its roots origin, so you do not have that accurate scaling, my solution to that is i use the script of Morgan Kaufmann:

//
// Copyright (c) 2002 Morgan Kaufmann. All rights reserved.
//
// Companion file from "Complete Maya Programming" Book.
// Please visit www.davidgould.com for further information.
//

proc scaleSkeleton( string $rootNode, float $scale )
{
string $childs[] = `listRelatives -fullPath -children
-type joint -allDescendents $rootNode`;
for( $child in $childs )
{
float $pos[] = `joint -query -relative -position $child`;
$pos[0] *= $scale;
$pos[1] *= $scale;
$pos[2] *= $scale;
joint -edit -relative -position $pos[0] $pos[1] $pos[2] $child;
}
}

the rpocedure is:
save it to your scripts directory, then execute the script

scaleSkeleton( "name of your rootJoint", scale size)

enjoy it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.