PDA

View Full Version : Rigging

shockeddesign
07-07-2003, 04:39 AM
Is it possible to set up bones for a model that is already built?

and is ik the same as rigging?

milqman
07-07-2003, 04:44 AM
Yep, generally you always build the model first then make the skeleton.

IK means inverse kinematics.
Such as, you move a "hand" bone, and that hand bone in turn moves all the other bones to match it's movement (simple explanation).

FK is forward kinematics. With this you'd have to move the hand, then move each bone up the line.

I suppose these aren't the greatest definitions but to answer your question plainly, no, IK is not the same as rigging although a rig can include IK.

shockeddesign
07-07-2003, 04:57 AM
thanks bud! :wavey:

SplineGod
07-07-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by shockeddesign
Is it possible to set up bones for a model that is already built?

and is ik the same as rigging?
Rigging for me is basically the process you go thru to make something animatable. For a character, modeling it so it bends/deforms properly is part of rigging. Adding bones, endomorphs and whatever else is needed is part of rigging. IK setup is also part of rigging.
FK is a "top down" method of animating, starting at the root and working your way out to the extremities, much the way a stop motion puppet works.
IK is a "bottom up" method of animating. You animate from the extremities much like the way a muppet is animated. You have a "rod" that is attached to the end of an arm or leg. Move the rod and the rest of the limb moves.

shockeddesign
07-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Very helpful...so what do you guys think I should start from? And if any really decent tutorials please post them!

SplineGod
07-07-2003, 07:18 PM
I have some rigs you can download a play with on my site.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.