PDA

View Full Version : Best reflection methods

TheWriter
07-07-2003, 03:17 AM
I've been playing around with some tests. Assume you have one model, but want some great reflections.. (chrome, gold, etc), what's the best method? Sure some of the object will reflect against itself, but other areas will be black. I did try using image world backdrops, but it just doesnt seem to work out very well.

Suggestions? I know the best method is to just model an entire scene/world, but for many cases this is impractical.

Needles
07-07-2003, 03:42 AM
If you don't want to model the whole scene I'd use the environment reflection options in the surface editor. It's a little bit slow, but I really like the reflection blurring control.

Steve Warner
07-07-2003, 04:17 PM
Read through this post:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12668&perpage=15&highlight=bullet&pagenumber=1

It's got some good info on creating good metal surfaces.

Hope this helps!

Steve

CourtJester
07-07-2003, 08:12 PM
There's also Eki's Refgen (in his Plugpak) which will render a spherical image from a specified location in the scene for use as a reflection map.

Eki's Plugpack (http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak/)

uncon
07-07-2003, 09:31 PM
have you tried an hdri for the image world background? I think they rock:buttrock:

TheWriter
07-08-2003, 05:33 AM
Alright guys, I decied to give lightprobes a try. Though im getting that artifact where you get tiny pixels of bright specs and a horrid dark image. If I remember right, the solution is to blur the .hdr image, but that doeset seem to have solved the problem. I switched from monte carlo to interpolatino and still no luck.

Hmm...

richpr
07-08-2003, 07:05 AM
Crank up the intensity of the radiosity to 400% You may need to adjust the rest of the lights intensities (not too high)... That should make it less black and give the radiosity enough power...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.