PDA

View Full Version : Need help for timing my blocking

Prout62
03-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Hi !

I'm currently working on shot where a man run and jump through a hole.
I did all my blocking, but, my big deal is that i don't know how to set correctly the timing

I don't know when my poses need to be nearby or distant.
How to set spacing...
And, what do you think about my poses ?

I hope it's clear and you can help me.
I upload my dopeSheet for more visual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsTXVIEBIJM

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8660/timing.jpg (http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=timing.jpg)

torresmedia
03-12-2009, 01:30 PM
First of all: Is it possible to upload a .mov? That way we can view it frame-by-frame :)

As of what I can see now: It seems that your char gets a boost of speed in the takeoff. When people jump, they dont get that boost :P Hehe... Try to get an constant speed trough the whole scene, and make the character really jump, and not just "walk over" the gap.

Hope this can help you :)

chuky500
03-13-2009, 05:43 AM
My advice would be not to block animations... I don't know if it sounds wierd but XSI can make nice automatic fcurves, that's the best way to see if the timing is right, see it in motion. That's what animation is about. And in the dopesheet editor, if you move your keyframes the fcurves will be changed automaticaly so you don't have to worry about moving the keyframes.

dondixon
03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
I would have to disagree with chuky500, Blocking out an animation is a very important step and one that should not just be passed up, even if you decide to not block things in with stepped keys and just do your poses back to back in linear, however you want to do it, blocking out is important. it is this stage where you can play with the spacing of things and not be dependent on the curves that the computer does for you. From looking at you youtube vid, I could not go frame by frame but one thing that stood out is that on your antic down before the jump, it feels like you could give that some more time to really build up that anticipation and also let that weight transfer downward while your little guy builds up the energy to lift that weight into the jump. All in all I think what you have is looking good, again I cant frame by frame through it, but just make sure that the arc of your character is looking good, and I think you will be well on your way man. I am gonna try something here, imagine these dashes as the spacing of your jump:
- - ---- -- - -
These dashes represent your drawings/frames on dash one to dash two its a consistant rate of movement Dashes 3 to 6 are your antic down, notice how I keep them one after another to represent that these drawings/frames should be close together meaning that the poses change but are still close visually ( moving hold/antic down) Dash 7 is you lift/jump in the air which should be a big change pose wise and position wise but you want to have some hang time, which is what dash 8 is and dash 9, finally dash ten is your landing which again is a big change from your hang time so there is a big change spacially with your drawing/Frame. Just those frames,if spaced right within just posing alone will give you a great foundation for creating a jump even before you start moving those frames thorugh the time line and playing with the curves. I hope this makes sense. I usually dont make comments.

D

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.