PDA

View Full Version : Character: Werebear

Nerfherder
07-07-2003, 01:36 AM
The Abduction of Miss Locks.
PS6 and Wacom. Took a little over a week. I wanted to do a badass monster that was mostly human, and decided a werebear wasn't one that's been done to death. I wanted to focus on lighting and colour while making it an outdoors scene. I also wanted to have multiple characters. I think I acomplished what I set out to do. http://www.renderedflesh.com/images/werebear/werebearfinished640wide.jpg

kariefury
07-07-2003, 01:43 AM
Hey good job. I like the fur and the tree foilage espically. No complaints.

E.Z. Schwartz
07-07-2003, 02:06 AM
I like it a lot, espically the bears mouth. The only thing that bothers me is the bright empty area in the bottom left. My eye keeps getting pulled there and away from the meat of the picture.

Lucidium
07-07-2003, 02:21 AM
You've definitely accomplished what you set out to do! His face, and hands/paws look especially good.

But I agree with Schwartz, the bright area really distracts from the main focus.
I think it seems odd because that's where the light appears to be coming from, but there's no light source visible. It feels as if the brightest light should be coming from behind - from the moon.

DogBreath
07-07-2003, 03:31 AM
Well done piece, I've never heard of a werebear. I think the whole pic is excellent, there's detail and action and a great story.
I would have to agree with the comments about the plausibilty of the lighting, although I don't see anyway you can get around it unless you placed a lamp on the ground that has been dropped in the scuffle or 3 lamps. It does draw the eye away to the bottom left as pointed out. Strange did we learn to read pictures like this, following the light or the action, or is it natural.

Nerfherder
07-07-2003, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the comments... I took a page out of Tim Hildebrants book and created a light source outside of the image area to add effect. I had a delema because I wanted the fullmoon in the pic to help along the story and give mood, but it wasn't enough light for the drama I wanted. I always imagined it was some little fire in a wooded area.

malcolmvexxed
07-07-2003, 04:16 AM
Re: lighting. I've had that problem before in a pic and what i found worked was to fight the tendency to show the sun or in this case moon in the background and simply place it off page overhead. that way the background sky can stay that greenish color and you have a more direct light source overhead. otherwise you can always say you have a torch or something from one of the villagers fallen on the ground. (or draw it in). as is it's pretty distracting tho since warm light at night is usually mad made and the background shows theyr'e far away from the city. I also think some elements of the woman's body are rendered at too high an opacity, it gives a hardness to her curves she doesnt' really need imo.

still i definitely get the fairy tales type of art style you're going for here and like it quite a bit.

FloydBishop
07-07-2003, 05:03 AM
The bright light is coming from my gun barrel as I unload on the monster, saving the day and rescuing the girl.

Pretty nice image.

Harry-Palmer
07-07-2003, 09:37 AM
hmm, looks amateurish - no real sense of dynamism, anatomy, lighting. Keep on practising all those areas and you'll be great.

It's a shame, because it just looks like fanboy artwork - nothing more, nothing less.

But still - from small acorns do big oaks grow...

Ac0rN
07-07-2003, 10:10 AM
The image reminds me of an old Russian childrens book ... the style I mean , It's very nice! :thumbsup:

rrobert
07-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Hi there,

Very nice work, I like the ambience you created!
http://www.vi2.com/getFile/188416.gif

mimosa
07-07-2003, 10:40 AM
:thumbsup:
GREAT~~~!!!!!

weakpig
07-07-2003, 10:57 AM
The lady seems to be enjoying being fondled by the werebear.
Just check out her expression - one of mild ecstasy and bliss.
:)

Anyway, good job!

endi2
07-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Yes, very good old style. I love.

Somebody write:
"hmm, looks amateurish - no real sense of dynamism, anatomy, lighting. Keep on practising all those areas and you'll be great."

Stupid words. What do you know about style, feeling, ambience?

Irratio
07-07-2003, 06:35 PM
The perspective seems late medieval, but the lighting is modern style. A very fresh technic, the loss of dimension gives it much personality.

However I think the yellow vest of the man in the lower right and the fur of the beast then would have to need a bit more work, a bit more sharpening to simulate the medieval techniques a bit more.

Keep this style a bit and develop it!

Harry-Palmer
07-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Stupid words. What do you know about style, feeling, ambience?

I know plenty, when you've worked in the CG business as long as I have, then you know when to critique constructively. Telling the truth isn't a hard thing to understand in any language, surely??

I'm stating an opinion, I think it looks amateurish and it's lacking mostly in those areas outlined above - the areas that need to be concentrated on. It's okay, but it could be great if they focus on their weaknesses.

Too much praise, too little critique, that's the problem with these boards sometimes.

Rhino169
07-07-2003, 09:49 PM
I love the feel of rage and sense of desperation of the scene. :thumbsup:
Also the coloring of the night looks really nice.

My only critique would be the shadow of the gate/arch in the distance appears to be converging as it moves closer to the observer. I think it should be growing in size.

My other thought would be a clarification on the foreground light source. I understand why you have it, I was wondering what it is? If it is artistic license...that answer is fine with me!;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.