PDA

View Full Version : Maya hand rigging/animating

Julez4001
07-06-2003, 11:26 PM
Looking for any tips for making bones in fingers to bend really lifelike and not the same old cartoony way like mickey mouse but with the fat in fingers pushing out. I heard influence objects is the way to go but are there any rig reusable techiques or is this always a customized job per character.

CGIExpert
07-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Julez4001
Looking for any tips for making bones in fingers to bend really lifelike and not the same old cartoony way like mickey mouse but with the fat in fingers pushing out. I heard influence objects is the way to go but are there any rig reusable techiques or is this always a customized job per character.

You can use Maya's skeleton for darn near anything. Use the snap to weed the skeleton through each finger. Make sure the bones are in the correct anatomical position [you may want to refer to some anatomy websites for reference]. And then SKIN->BIND SKIN->SOFTBIND the skeleton to the mesh.

sric
07-08-2003, 11:10 PM
Influence Objects is one way. You can also make morph targets for each finger. Then you can Use set driven key to automatically drive the morph target when you bend the finger. You can use influence objects with set driven keys also.

Reusable rigs appear to be a unknown concept to the folks at Alias. They desperately need a setup mode ala' Messiah.

loked
07-08-2003, 11:41 PM
I dont think it's really a question of one or the other (joint placement and influences). I think you really need both.

Firstly you need to place your joints in the correct place. Place them slightly behind where your finger bends and slightly higher up than the middle, not too much though. Keep in mind that the joint is really just a pivot point that the cv's rotate around.

I would also go now and skin the geometry and just test to see how it bends. I usually write a quick script that lets me skin and detach the skin by the click of a button. This way I can test it, make adjustment and test it again.

Once you've got the joint placement right, you can either use blendshapes or influences. No matter how good your joint placement is, you'll still always get that rubber bend in your finger as if it is a tube. This is because Maya does not maintain volume. This is where influences come in. You need to add an object that you can connect via set driven key. Now when you rotate the finger the object will scale, rotate or translate (whichever maintains volume the best) and appear to maintain volume.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Good Luck

later:wavey:
loked

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.