PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with extremely large renders

Anoma1y
07-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Hey guys

By about the end of next week, I need to do two really large renders for some posters. Both scenes are computationally intensive, although neither uses radiosity. The renders work fine up to about ~4000x5000 resolution, but anything higher wont start. I always get this "not enought memory for frame buffers" or something to that effect.

One of my friends mentioned something about using camera masks and assembling the image in PS, but no matter how small a region I try to render, it never starts.

Is there any way for me to do these, short of finding someone with a massive box?

btw, im on a p4 2.2, 512 rambus.

Thanks in advance.

robinson
07-06-2003, 10:40 PM
You should buy another 512 mb ram, hey that’s not to expensive anymore, or try split render
http://frenchwave.mental-tv.org/SplitRender/#US
if the camera mask option doesn’t work !

Anoma1y
07-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the link robinson. I downloaded it, but i cant figure out how to use it. im a total plug-in virgin here...

Arte
07-06-2003, 11:13 PM
One method I have started using is Fusion by rendering separate objects. This is one way slow scenes used to be done anyway although I used to prefer front projection. The depth buffer is really handy here.

On the other hand, 512 mb is unrealistic for a large scene at that size. You're talking 2GBb at least.

Things you can do:

Optimise your swap file so it is better able to handle this by making it static.

If you're running XP throw away all of the M$ rubbish. Get rid of your backdrop image and disable things like Active Desktop.

Lower the desktop depth to 16 or even 8 bit.

Junk all of the services and any background apps like Norton. Apart from making things harder for large renders they will KILL your render times. Then again an Athlon is a better bet for print.

In LW switch off ALL Open GL texturing and open GL features.

Turn off the display of all objects and set to point display.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head for getting ram back:)

BTW restart just before you hit render. It will clean a lot of memory leaks Windows fails to.

Oh and if it is an option. 98 SE is far less of a resource hog for print.

X

anobrin
07-07-2003, 05:18 AM
How is this poster being printed???
have you checked with your print service provider
to find out the minimum pixel per inch you can get away
with???

vbk!!!
07-07-2003, 05:56 PM
splitrender works good for me : i made a picture of 10k pix with.

there is probleme of memory if you use some post effect (like corona or other image filter)

Anoma1y
07-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Ok guys, im trying to get split render working over here, but im having trouble.

I generate all the scenes and then add them to the screamernet queue, but it always says it can't find any available screamernet CPU's when I try to start rendering. Whats the deal? Im just using one computer...

NanoGator
07-07-2003, 08:46 PM
I'd personally set your swap file to be lots lots larger. Right click on 'My Computer", then hit properties, then go to Advanced, then click on 'Settings" under 'performance" , then click on 'Advanced' again, then go to 'Virtual Memory' and click Change. What you want to do here is set your paging size to something like 4096 for both min and max. (make sure both #s are the same, also make sure you have at least that much free space.)

What'll happen is Windows will have a lot more memory to allocate buffers into. I warn you, though, this will be a very slow process because it'll go to hard disk. I think that'll at least get you past the error you were getting before, though.

Anoma1y
07-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Well, when I change the virtual memory size, it takes a lot longer for the error to come up, but still no success. Any other ideas, anyone?

NanoGator
07-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Anoma1y
Well, when I change the virtual memory size, it takes a lot longer for the error to come up, but still no success. Any other ideas, anyone?

Make the number even higher. Since I don't know how much it's trying to allocate, I'm not sure how much to offer it. Though if it got to 8 gig and still wasn't working, I'd say that's a rathole.

(Once all's said and done, it'd set it back to around 2 gig)

webfox
07-08-2003, 12:19 AM
You don't use camera mask. That still generates the full scene at full size and, also, the full memory problem.

You use "Limited Region". Then select "Adjust Region" and drag until it makes a strip of a size you can render. If your image is supposed to be 4000x5000, change the strip to be 1020 tall by 5000 wide.

Then you tell Layout to save the render as Region1.psd (or whatever name and format you prefer) and to only render on that one frame you want rendered.

Then save your file as Region1.lws (or whatever naming convention you prefer)

Then adjust the region you're rendering down until the top of the new region just overlaps the last one.

Now tell Layout to save the render as Region2.psd.

Then save your file as Region2.lws

Adjust the region you're rendering down, again, until the top of the new region just overlaps the last one.

Now tell Layout to save the render as Region3.psd.

Then save your file as Region3.lws

Repeat this until you have covered the images area from top to bottom.

Then run screamernet with one node, or multiple if you have the option. Load up all your Region files to render and let it go and do its thing. The idea is, in any event, to let LW keep loading files to render so you don't have to keep coming back, hoping that you haven't wasted valuable render time.

I think there are some plugins that may do this setup for you, but I've never tracked them down.

Once all the images are rendered, you can assemble them in Photoshop.

Hope this helps.

Arte
07-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Anoma1y

I forgot to add that my points work equally well for any Win X system not just XP. There is a lot of garbage there eating your memory.

BTW, what OS are you running?

X

vbk!!!
07-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Webfox : splitrender do it exactly
it makes a number of scenes using limited region.
the second part of the plug reassembles all the part a make the final big frame

Anoma1y : Have you a image filter or a pixel filter added in your scene ? this plugs works in full resolution only

"I generate all the scenes and then add them to the screamernet queue, but it always says it can't find any available screamernet CPU's when I try to start rendering. Whats the deal? Im just using one computer..."

i think your problem is in your screamernet config not in splitrender or your memory

Frenchw
07-08-2003, 09:46 AM
VBK : j'ai des problemes pour répondre à tes mails, ils me reviennent

Others : I'm the SplitRender plugin Writer, if you have troubles with My plug'in, go to this thread :
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74327
Thanks

Frenchw
07-25-2003, 12:14 AM
Some bugs on step 2 will be solved, please, check This thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77178) for update informations.

FrenchW - SplitRender Writer

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.