PDA

View Full Version : Been working toward employment as a modeler in games last few months, some advice?

AMinder
03-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Couple months ago late last year I got a lot of helpful advice involving a dream of mine to get into the game industry. I love to model and decided to gear my work toward character modeling. I enjoy environmental work as well.

Well, now its 2009, crappy economy, and it's depressingly clear my work isn't up to par with what is needed, and I'm unemployed and will need work soon.

This is the reel I have right now: http://adammindercg.com/Reel.html

This is stuff im currently working on: http://adammindercg.com/ImageGallery_WorksinProgress1.html

Anyway, I've been applying all over the country last few weeks and well, nothing. During that time I've been working on a brand new set of work that I feel has a better design sense and is more interesting to look at.

I tried to keep my characters low poly and limit their texture maps like in a game environment with my last reel. Was this a mistake? With my latest stuff I am a lot less concerned with poly counts, and I am not sure if I want to go ahead and do a full texture job on them because it does take a bit of time. Should I? Or should I focus more on a purely modeling aspect and render out a reel of just some wireframes and ambient occlusion passes?

Also, is it foolish to be working on characters right now, or should I be working on environmental/props work? I mean I look at the work here and it's ridiculously good. With so many talented and experienced people looking for work it kinda seems like a lost cause.

I've also been considering trying to get my foot in the door doing a QA position. My prior job I was QA lead on software development so I have some experience with that workflow.

I just feel a little lost right now, not knowing where I'm heading. My whole education background is in this sort of work (not specifically games) and it is definitely what I want to do as a career. I guess this thread is basically just a question of whether I should keep at it. I really want to, and I could potentially for another month or two of doing nothing but modeling, and still have enough to pay for my own relocation to anywhere in the country, but I'm just not sure if there even would be a job waiting once I do given the economy. This will always be a hobby of mine but I really want to make it a career.

Any insight is appreciated, sorry for the rant.

NZBode
03-11-2009, 03:56 AM
Hey man,

Your stuff looks really good and your showreel is really slick. Just apply for EVERYTHING. You'll catch someones eye I'm sure. I started at my current job 4 months ago and it was one of the only jobs I got an interview after sending out applications to 50 or so places.

Don't get demoralised. One other thing - ALWAYS follow your CV up with a phone call. Always put your name in front of people and reapply. Anything that can get your name subconciously recognised by an employer definitely helps.

You're also a lot easier to say no to if your contact is by email. Get your voice and face in front of them and you'll have a better shot.

Best of luck! It'll happen. :)

wwswimming
03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I just feel a little lost right now, not knowing where I'm heading. My whole education background is in this sort of work (not specifically games) and it is definitely what I want to do as a career. I guess this thread is basically just a question of whether I should keep at it. I really want to, and I could potentially for another month or two of doing nothing but modeling, and still have enough to pay for my own relocation to anywhere in the country, but I'm just not sure if there even would be a job waiting once I do given the economy. This will always be a hobby of mine but I really want to make it a career.

Any insight is appreciated, sorry for the rant.

"feeling a little lost" is normal for job-hunting and the transition from school to work.

given the economy, it's also pretty widespread circa 2009.

i would say, keep the job-hunting on the front burner - since it seems like that's a priority - and continue your CG education at the same time.

the economy is very un-predictable right now, and there are a lot of unemployed experienced people looking for work. so it's a situation where you give your own time a structure.

but definitely don't give up !

gabe2500
03-12-2009, 04:10 AM
These are just my opinions, so take it with a grain of salt. You need more variety in your character designs. The flow in your anatomy needs to be more prominent and your face topology needs more expression. I would recommend showcasing more characters and different styles. Your basic untextured models look great and just need more details in specific areas. You just need to polish your work a bit and I think you will have no problem getting a job. Don't give up, just work harder and use this forum to post all your work in progress because where else can you get professional feedback?

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2009, 04:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.