PDA

View Full Version : mapping w/ unwrap UVW

eagle300
05-06-2002, 06:36 AM
I think the biggest problem that most people have is actually getting a painted texture to fit correctly onto a model. anybody know of any really good tutorials on how to use the unwrap UVW correctly. modeling something is fine and great, but if ya don't know how to actually get a texture to fit the model, it's pointless. anyone have any suggestions or hints?
tj

zeegate
05-06-2002, 07:03 AM
Normally I put on the texturecords as I would like them. Then I make a screenshots of the unwrap-screen by pressing <print screen> and then make a new image in photoshop where I paste the screenshot. then just select the unwrapped area and crop it. You can find the crop command in the image menu. I know it's a dirty method . . but hey . . it works :p

-Zee

leigh
05-06-2002, 04:16 PM
Yeah, the <print screen> etc, method that zeegate just described works perfectly every time ;)
I think the real trick though, is using the correct method of unwrapping for the model. For most things, planar unwrapping is the best, although this often results in you having to compensate for squashing or strething that can occur in the uv cordinates that it makes - these require tweaking to fix. The same goes for cylindrical unwrapping.
With spherical unwraps, there is a trick you can use in Photoshop for checking whether there is going to be a seam - by using the polar co-ordinates filter. Also, spherical unwraps are tricky and take quite a while to paint correctly, due to the stretching along the axis you unwrap it on.
The other type of unwrapping - atlas unwrapping, can often reult in, basically speaking, a huge garbled mess. This sucks because ideally atlas unwrapping should work for any kind of shape, as it's purpose is to unwrap and display a map which, once painted onto, the image should remain constantly perpendicular to the face normals of the object. The problem is, you have to be very careful with your polygon selection when doing this kind of unwrap, so it's often quicker to just go with one of the other options.

eagle300
05-06-2002, 07:41 PM
:bowdown: so is there a really good tutorial on this? all i've seen are pretty lame examples...arild wiro had a great tutorial but his darn webpage has never been updated....slacker! hehe. i wished igor posevic (sp?)would update his page also. both are probably my favorite artists but man, they take forever to update their tutorial pages.

leigh
05-07-2002, 09:01 AM
Hmmm... a tutorial. That ever-elusive "good" 3d tut. I really don't know of a good one, sorry :shrug: I hate it when you find a tut that sounds like it is going to be really perfect, and then you click on it and it is absolute rubbish :annoyed: So I try and avoid internet tutorials, unless they are on high end sites....
I learnt by just playing around :bounce:

eagle300
05-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Leigh-

you're also learning it in school also aren't ya? i'm done with school...well, other than the masters i'm working on....so i'm really learning on my own and from great people like you who are awesome because of your willingness to contribute to the 3d community. it definately helps expand the interest in 3d.

i finally found a great tutorial after a looong search query.

http://www.gignews.com/jade_3dsmax.htm :bounce

this video pretty much explains it well and demonstrates it well.

hmmm...maybe you should do a video capture of you making a tutorial in photoshop for a model, leigh. oh, by the way, if you DO do one, then turn down the speed so that the video isn't going mach 10.
tj-out: :airguitar :buttrock:

leigh
05-07-2002, 02:00 PM
Heheheh, actually I finished studying a long time ago too. Although I did study 3D (max) when I was at college, I found I actually learnt a lot more just playing around at home.
Then, when I started working in the high end industry, I was forced to really master it in order to keep a cut above the rest. I always tried to figure things out myself, before looking for tuts. I guess I'm kinda stubborn, but I just prefer to do things that way :)
I'll check out that link later today...
And yeah, I'll think about doing a video capture sometime, if I can fit it into my far toobusy schedule :cry:

levin
05-11-2002, 03:25 PM
i dunno if this is *good* enough for you but it kinda helped me a lot.
:thumbsup:
http://www.madwomb.com/madwomb/tutorials.html

he presents two techniques, one using the morpher modifier, the other using a plugin

tutorials, good or bad are somewhat good anyways, since it always gives you different ideas on how to attack the problem.
you might not embrace the exact same workflow ; but you can combine different techniques with your own.

it gives you *ideas*:lightbulb

if somebody had lost at waterloo before napoleon, he could have won the battle...

:hmm:

sireel
05-13-2002, 03:25 PM
eagle300 is there another way of dowloading that video tut without having to get a subcribtion to the website to download it? I'd like to see the tut but not $25 a month badly.
:deal: <- evil website

sireel
05-13-2002, 03:51 PM
oops... never mind I got it

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.