PDA

View Full Version : Cinematic Game Icons - Character - Apt Pupil

Apt Pupil
07-06-2003, 06:05 PM
It's been awhile since I joined the 2d section, but, I thought I would give it a shot again. I am creating a concept for the model I am going to create in the game art challenge section, so I thought I would finish the concept for here first.

I drew a few sketches to find some interesting designs and to see what works. He is going to be the main character in Oni type game. He'll have good morals but he will be an assassin.

I am going to go with something like number 2.

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/gameicon/sheet1.gif

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/gameicon/sheet2.gif

Virtuoso
07-06-2003, 11:22 PM
Looking forward to your next creation Apt as always.I like them all,but three has that something more somehow to me.Nice sketches,beautiful designed outfit,details etc,etc...have fun.:beer: :)

Apt Pupil
07-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Ok, I had some time to work on it. Here's basically how he is going to look like. I gave him a long ponytail (you can see it by 'his' left arm), because it's always nice having something swinging in a tomb raider/ghost style game perspective.

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/gameicon/mainsketch.jpg

Thanks Virtuoso:) I have incorperated the vest from 3 and 4, and this time, I braided his hair, but it's still short. Thanks for your comments in the game art section too:beer:

Gamoron
07-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Nice work man. I'd drop the shades though. There's always so much emotion in a characters eyes. Great work!

cakeypigdog
07-09-2003, 11:58 PM
been a while since i saw new work from you!
where you been?!?! you set the breif for the comp on chat last month then vanished!

i like this new char: the straps, guns and body in general are great. really nice.

i am impressed with the torso and arms they look great but i think you should maybe rework the face and legs though.
i just don't like the face all that much: seams a bit below par for you.

the leg design i like in itself but it reminds me too much of princess deku's trousers. for the benefit of your portfolio i would go for something different on the legs (unless they are apart of the same project?)

well glad to see you back mate: can we look forward to seeing more of your great stuff frm now on?

Apt Pupil
07-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Ya, I know, I got really busy with my freelance work, so I didn't have time to really do anything for cgchat(I feel really bad) But, I am now on vacation, so if I don't get hired before cgchat's new comp's end, I will definatly be there for their current cute character comp:)

I agree about the face. When I color it, I will put more effort into it. But, as for the pants, I am pretty sure they won't look like Princess Dyeku's once they are finished. Thanks for being dead honest, I will certainly fix or enhance the areas you suggested.

Gamoron --> Thanks for the glasses suggestion, I have now removed them. You are right, eyes certainly give him more personality.

Hopefully, I'll have something to show for tomorrow. I finished the other two basic poses and I am now coloring them.

Virtuoso
07-12-2003, 09:58 AM
The audiance is waiting.................Oh and Apt can I borrow that cool coat from candidate #5.:thumbsup:

Hope to see some magic soon,good luck.:beer:

Apt Pupil
07-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Virtuoso --> That talk about an extension crippled me:argh: I'll be lucky to finish this one. I relaxed to much:p Otherwise, yes to the jacket dude heheh

Here's a small update.

Don't worry, I'll fix the eyes (they look to boyish at the moment)

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/gameicon/prog01.jpg

Virtuoso
07-12-2003, 10:24 AM
:drool: ..............Wow you are just plain good.Nice you did a wonderful job.Great 2D skills to go along with 3D,you are the package.Excellent outcome. I love it all,but best is the holsters,and the fact that you cranked out sooo many high quality sketches that were all the same but then not really in the end,they still had originality to them each in there own way.Impressive stuff.:thumbsup: :applause:

fellah
07-12-2003, 10:43 AM
waw, that last image is turning out fantastic apt!! but I must say it's funny to see, last hours of the challenge now.. and a half-finished entry.. do you really think you'll be able to make it, again? :rolleyes: :D

I know you can work like a maniac near deadlines, so I will look in here again in a few hours :wip:

Apt Pupil
07-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Virtuoso --> thanks:blush: I only wish I could have participated in the classic challenge alongside you guys. You both (fellah's team too) had so much fun this time around and it's going to be ages before we can be in the same contest again. Just keep up the magnificent inspiring pieces you yourself produce, they are an inspiration to me, and they certainly make me want to try harder.

Fellah --> "do you really think you'll be able to make it, again?" Yes, No problemo:) I just have the shoes to do and then some final touch ups. Shouldn't you be working on yours vacation boy? Heheh. Otherwise, I am glad you like it, it means alot coming from you . . . you bastard:p

I'll post an update soon.

fellah
07-12-2003, 11:20 PM
what is this mr 'not so apt pupil anymore'? the deadline has passed, and it's a fact that you failed, for the first time in history to complete a challenge in time, who's the bastard now? :) (okokok, I'm still the one)

I hope you have a good explanation for this. I saw you jumped off the gameart comp to concentrate on this one. and now this.. :shame:

:cool:

whatever the reason is, I do hope you'll post more updates, and hopefully a 3d lowpoly version of it when/if you start in the future.

Apt Pupil
07-12-2003, 11:22 PM
What are you talking about dude, I still got 5 wholesome hours left??

pigwater
07-12-2003, 11:25 PM
i knew the time difference betwen me and sweden was alot but ??? ...:)

apt pupil .. i've seen you pump out amazing stuff in less time .. so how a bout a high poly version too :thumbsup:

fellah
07-12-2003, 11:28 PM
ohh, really?? I thought the challenge site showed a "constant" deadline for everyone. but maybe it differs depending on where you live. if it does, I apolagies, and wish you good luck :)

Apt Pupil
07-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Oh boy, I hope you are right, I hope it works differently for everyone, otherwise, I'll have a permanent w.i.p in my gallery:annoyed:

I am putting everything together now, so, in 5 hours, I'll have everything ready no problem:)

pigwater --> heheh:P

fellah
07-12-2003, 11:37 PM
make a test-upload at the challenge site and see what happens. I'll go to bed in a few mins. hope I wake up and see your update on the cgchallenge site, goodluck mate :wip:

Apt Pupil
07-12-2003, 11:41 PM
The challenge site still says it's accepting entries, so it should be fine. My entry will be there when you wake up:)

Good night dude, and see you tomorrow:beer:

pigwater
07-12-2003, 11:41 PM
mine actually shows 7 hours left .. if anyone cares:shrug:

Apt Pupil
07-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Heheh, Damn, I wish I was in your country.

pigwater
07-12-2003, 11:44 PM
just send me your pass word and i'll submit it for ya :scream: ..

Apt Pupil
07-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Heheh . . . No:p

pigwater
07-12-2003, 11:49 PM
just a thought ..just a thought ...(heheh)

Virtuoso
07-13-2003, 12:55 AM
Hi Apt....................My clock says 7 hours left at the challenge site.It's 5:00 PM here on the West Coast of Cali.What about you over there in Montreal......I hope it says 4 hours left at your time of 8:00 PM.In other words 12 midnight for both of us but in different time zones.OK get back to me,and good luck.:beer:

Apt Pupil
07-13-2003, 01:01 AM
My clock now says 3 hours and 40 minutes.

Good luck on your entry too, I can't wait to see what you come up with:)

Virtuoso
07-13-2003, 01:07 AM
I had to compromise a little too much.Just as I know you did.But still it will be very good for us both I know.My next private work is all I already think of.get back to me if you are interested,it really has me excited.see you soon Apt,good luck,it's already a major contender.:thumbsup: :beer:

fellah
07-13-2003, 11:12 AM
wohooo!! excellent final, and a very very good composition of all the work you did in this challenge! I'm glad to see all went well for you with the submit to the challenge site to. I hope you will place high in this challenge, I'm sure you will :)

:thumbsup:

Apt Pupil
07-13-2003, 02:40 PM
Hey there Fellah, ahhhh, I had a good sleep. Thanks for the compliments, I am just glad I won't have a w.i.p in my challenge site's personal gallery. As for placing high in the ranks, hmmm, we shall see.

Congrats on your final entry too dude, all the characters you guys submitted were very well done and have lots of personality. Hopefully, I'll be able to join the classic challenge next time too:)

Virtuoso --> Thanks Virtuoso:) What's this about a new project, did you finish your other big one? This new one should be quite cool then!! I am glad you guys got your entry together in time, it looks great! Well, hopefully, I'll be seeing you again in a future contest, you bring out the best in people.

:beer:

fellah
07-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Hopefully, I'll be able to join the classic challenge next time too
the question is not if you will join. rather when you will join. I hope you'll be in from the _beginning_ next time ;)

thanks for the compliments on our teamwork to, you know it means alot :)

Virtuoso
07-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Apt Pupil..........you are a stud.Your creations are as full of life and detail as it gets,Style and flare and smooth on the eyes as it gets.Plus your ideas and creativity are top rate.Just hope to see more and more of your magic.See you soon,and once again you have done great in all aspects.You rock.:thumbsup: :applause:

pigwater
07-14-2003, 01:02 AM
Apt Pupil ... i didn't say it before but ... great stuff ... :thumbsup:

i watched as you spit this thing out in your normal lightnin pace and it came out superb .. especially like how you used the sketches in the final ..congrats & :beer:

togusajr
07-17-2003, 12:19 AM
hello. i am here to give you a crit as seeing that most people here tend to shy away from that. That being said, you should not take this as any attack on you nor the admins on their forum. Just as a general rant, i find the cgchallenge lacking in qualified judges and I have been repeatedly puzzeled by the discrepancy in quality of work among the winners. Enough being said.

Looking at your piece, it is clear that you need to draw from life. Your figure's proportions are slighty wacky and his limbs are not connected to his body in the correction areas. It is evident that you love to render the details, however smaller fundementals like this are more important. I also would pay attention to making things symetrical, especially on the face which if badly foreshortened.

On the design end of things, i suggest further exploration. doing 4 sketches should not be the basis for such a final line drawing/painting...

salud,

togusa

wildsheepchase
07-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Just as a general rant, i find the cgchallenge lacking in qualified judges and I have been repeatedly puzzeled by the discrepancy in quality of work among the winners. Enough being said.

If you have an issue with the challenges you should post a complaint in the challenge issues thread or pm a moderator, instead of insulting other artist's work and questioning the qualifications of the judges.

As far as other's shying away from giving crits, your own crit might have been useful to Apt Pupil several weeks ago. If you think the forum is lacking in crits, why not jump in and start giving more of them yourself...most people appreciate them.

brasshorse
07-17-2003, 12:52 AM
When did he insult Apt Pupil's work? Its called critique, and it's what helps people learn.

pigwater
07-17-2003, 01:03 AM
and his first post ... why sign up just to do that ??

brasshorse
07-17-2003, 01:08 AM
Why sign up to critique? This is getting ridiculous. The whole point of CGTalk is to post work and get critiques.

Anyhow, I'm not commenting further. Sorry, Apt Pupil.

wildsheepchase
07-17-2003, 01:11 AM
When did he insult Apt Pupil's work? Its called critique, and it's what helps people learn.

Brasshorse, I wasn't referring to his crit as an insult. I'm referring to his comment-"repeatedly puzzeled by the discrepancy in quality of work among the winners". I'm all for crits and improvement.

Grooveholmes
07-17-2003, 01:31 AM
i whole heartedly agree Togusajr. Some of the winners have been fully undeserving.. and what is more dumbfounding is some winners didn't recieve the majority votes. :shrug:

Apt Pupil
07-17-2003, 03:35 AM
togusajr --> Hey there togusajr, you are diffenatly right dude:) I realise I need to practice my proportions more, that's why I entered the 2d section. Oh well, I'll get it right next time heheh, just be sure to critique on mine as well as everyone else's if you feel something should be corrected, because for now, it's a little bit to late. But, I will take your suggestions into heart when I fix things up for my portfolio. Take care dude and thanks again.

Grooveholmes --> Maybe I created something that people could associate with more . . . who really knows. On the plus side, at least it looks like a main character for a game:p

Grooveholmes
07-17-2003, 04:33 AM
Hey apt, I was referring to past challenges; not this one. This was probably the wrong place to mention it but i saw the subject raised. <shrugs>

lildragon
07-18-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Grooveholmes
and what is more dumbfounding is some winners didn't recieve the majority votes. :shrug:

Why we do it this way? Simply because people cheat to stay on top, have x amount of people sign up to cgtalk just to vote for them (all 5 points I might add) hardly unbias isn't it?

We judge the quality of the creation and how close they actually stay true to the rules in a totally unbias lack of favoritism conduct. If anyone here has any questions or concerns about how we choose our winners I would appreciate you sending me or the other council members an email or pm, rather than ranting about it hidden in someone's thread.

thank you

-lild

Gamoron
07-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Hi Apt Pupil. Personally I just want to say I thought your piece was great. Ignore the earlier criticism (er) critique. Staying true to the restrictions of life is fine in life drawing, but in anything else, like cartoons, forget about symmetry. Long or short proportions are fine. I think its great.

Grooveholmes
07-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
We judge the quality of the creation and how close they actually stay true to the rules in a totally unbias lack of favoritism conduct.

Perhaps some of the judges are lacking the proper facilities to judge 2D work since they are so highly trained and specialize in the 3d realm?

togusajr
07-18-2003, 10:03 PM
totally unbias lack of favoritism conduct.

is that doublespeak? i dont get it. why not invite 2d masters from other forums to be judges... like brasshorse... hes a genius. i heard that he swims in a swimming pool full of beer in his graham cracker house.

lildragon
07-19-2003, 12:40 AM
keep it up togusajr keep it up.

Apt Pupil
07-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Gamoron --> Thanks dude:) Your entry was great as well, and I liked your sketches that lead up to your final piece. Hopefully, we will be seeing eachother again in the next comp:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.