PDA

View Full Version : Need advice : Underwater test

EvilE
07-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Ok heres a lil underwater look test ( non photoreal ) ive just done and i need advice on how to get it look better ( this is a test how to get some nice underwater look for a bigger scene ) . Rendertime is around 15 seconds per frame in pal resolution:

www.evildesignz.de/CompTestRender.avi
(756 kb)

Thanks for the help

EE

webfox
07-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Your water texture is static. It needs to change and undulate with different shapes fading in and out.

Use more than one procedural on your water plane. Animate their layer opacities and move them around.

Also, the water, itself needs to undulate and change shape. It's too obvious right now that it's a flat plane.

Try taking the texture you use for your pseudo caustics and apply it as a texture displacement in the Y axis on your water model. Make your water subdivided polygons, too, and it'll look better, though you will notice a performance hit.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

EvilE
07-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Ok i will try to do what you told me but i dont think that it will be a big hit in rendertimes because the water is already a plane with subdivision set to 20 ( but only a minimum displacement ) and all the depth fade and caustics are done in compositing . Heres a pic of how the render looks when it comes out of lightwave :

http://www.evildesignz.de/BeautyPass0001.jpg

EE

Chewey
07-06-2003, 07:42 PM
The light rays should be coming in more parallel to each other. They currently are coming out radially from your light source and it makes it appear the the source is very close to the water's surface and not far away as the sun's light should be. Try changing the light type and it's location relative to the water surface plane.

EvilE
07-06-2003, 09:33 PM
New try new luck :) Please let me know if this ones better :)

http://www.evildesignz.de/CompTestRender.avi

EE

Chewey
07-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Looks much better. I'd add a larger sized procedural and avoid having the current motion appear to be all linear and try to make it more modulated. Try adding some animated dust type particles/geometry to the water to dirty it up a bit.

Shade01
07-06-2003, 10:08 PM
That actually looks pretty good, but the water is too blue. It should desaturate towards black or a really dark blueish gray the further out it goes.

EvilE
07-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Ok here is an updated desaturated version ( particles are still in the works so plz be a lil more patient chewey ) . I hope you like this one better Shade . This time the donwload is a bit bigger ( 6.15 mb mjpeg quicktime ) but since i am getting nearer to the final result quality becomes more important i think .I also took down the previous version to avoid wasting bandwith .

EE

www.evildesignz.de/CompTestRender.qt

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.