PDA

View Full Version : Image based lighting problems

madmotor
03-10-2009, 05:44 AM
hi everyone. I'm new to the concept of image based lighting...I thought I was getting the hang of it because my stills looked great. the only problem was when I rendered out a sequence of frames with the camera moving, I noticed a lot of flickering and flashing in certain areas, especially where I used displacement. does anyone know how to get rid of the flickering? let me know if anyone needs more info.

axiomatic
03-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Version of Maya and Mental Ray?

Sounds like Final Gather flickering...

madmotor
03-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Im using maya 8.5. Do I need to turn off final gather while using that type of lighting?

axiomatic
03-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Not necessarily I'd do a test and see if it is FG causing the flickering.

If it is then there's some options you can tweak to reduce/remove this. Check the documentation / web for some good guides on it (just make sure what you're reading is relevant to your version of MR since there was a major change around v3.6 to FG).

If you're still in trouble let us know :)

T_Low
03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
resize the HDR-Image to something like W 360 x H 180 px and blur it in order to get rid of blotches.

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.