PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a Wrist Watch in Maya

artcross
03-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Hello everyone, I was wondering how you would approach modeling a wrist watch in Maya. Very similar to a watch like this:

http://www.onlinejewelrynwatches.com/images/2015.jpg

I've been using Maya for a while now, but have rarely touched modeling. I'm more concerned with the watch face, but would also eventually like to learn how to model the links. I'd also especially like to know how to get the finger grips on the side of the watch face. thanks!

Kithlak
03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
I would just break it apart into all its seperate pieces so I could use alot of geometry where its needed, and not worry about where the edges are gona end up on the rest of the model.

sabertooth
04-22-2009, 07:06 AM
I would just break it apart into all its seperate pieces so I could use alot of geometry where its needed, and not worry about where the edges are gona end up on the rest of the model.

yes definetly break it up into pieces. the links are actually very easy, all you need to do is model one and then copy them. i say this because they are all the same interlocking pieces. and as far as the face of the watch i would just utilize the texture for it BUT if you wanted pure moving detail, model each arm, each little raised circle, the whole for the date, go crazy.

artcross
04-27-2009, 09:49 PM
thanks for all the tips! here's what I have so far:

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2009, 09:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.