PDA

View Full Version : my lighting showreel

CGNitro
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UTznjHhtU8

this is the link to my Lighting Showreel,

http://vimeo.com/3772389 this is shorter one with some changes

I have used Autodesk Maya, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe After Effects,

All models used are downloaded from the net and may be a cliche but this is just a lighting showreel and not a modeling reel.

conio
03-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Some sound would be nice... its quite boring without... :)

mister3d
03-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Good work dude!
When you have names sliding vertically and placed vertically it's hard to read them. I see no point in using occlusion in night scenes, even GI is redundant.
The kitchen lighting looks flat, so are some fruits look a bit flat. The lighting of most pieces is ok, but I would like to see more various scenes like character lighting, how you work on mood on one scene. Some more dynamic animation of lighting and product lighting would be interesting.
Keep working, it's good you can render and comp in passes.

BlenderFan
03-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I see what your were trying to do, showing the various passes and how they made up the final composite, but to me it was extremely distracting to have the vertical scrolling text along with two screens to watch plus the text on the side. One image a a time would have been better, perhaps showing the final image first, then the individual passes one by one, each having it's own screen time. These are just presentation issues, mainly, and the lighting work itself is quite nice, particularly the moonlight shot. It also got a little boring watching the same seen lit different ways. It did show your versatility, but perhaps just the day and night shot would be better.

That's just my opinion. Good job.

Edit: I think mister 3d just beat me to saying a lot of my critiques, but that's okay. :)

kanooshka
03-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Hi CGNitro, I like your reel. I agree with the vertical text, you may be better just using white text on the bottom or black text with a white outline. Also, your reel is a little slow and long. It is a great idea to show your breakdown but it could much much quicker. Most places that will view your reel only have a minute tops and want to see something to catch their attention in the first couple seconds. Maybe you want to show all your images/video first and then show the breakdowns at the end after catching the viewers attention.

edit: It also might be a good idea to not show multiple breakdowns for the same scene.

CGNitro
03-10-2009, 06:53 AM
hi thanks everybody for the suggestions, I'll keep that in mind...i ll to make the necessary changes in the final reel thanks again.

Kev3D
03-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Hi, I sat and watched the whole thing and some of the pieces of have really nice lighting.

However, I would suggest that the passes should wipe on much quicker. This reel could easily be compressed to less then a minute and would be much more impressive to potential employers.

Some good reels that I've seen have a new pass wipe on about once every few frames with a horizontal description at the bottom. Also, they usually only show the scene building up, not the individual passes.

CGNitro
03-12-2009, 06:35 AM
ok, i have made some changes to the showreel now it is short and fast and ive added a product , guess gt500 counts as a product of ford.ive added a sound track, but honestly i ve never been in a interview that had the speakers on when the showreel was playing. im working on character head lighting, i'll upload a newer vesion of my showreel in a couple of days.

http://www.vimeo.com/3573983

ps comment on this reel. thanks.

Kev3D
03-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Hi, that's loking much better, more professional. Good Work.

aqua9
03-17-2009, 09:43 AM
hi there ......

i dont know about how slow the first one was coz i see that only the last link is working
and is really very good and impressive, and Anand BTW u r working somewhere ?? or u r on a job hunt ??

just asking u out of curiosity :D

CGNitro
03-17-2009, 02:13 PM
hi,, yes I'm looking out for a job as a lighting and rendering artist. mu previous showreel is in first link from utube, r u working anywhere or freelancing...

aqua9
03-17-2009, 02:47 PM
hey Anand can i add u in my gmail probably we can chat there

aqua9
03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
hey if u use any messengers please do lemme know i want to talk to u

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.