PDA

View Full Version : adding a joint to already skinned character bad?

Levitateme
07-06-2003, 05:01 AM
i have my character skinned and weighted. but im importing it to Motion Buildernow. so i want to have all the correct bones that MB asks and the extra joints. if i just add like a joing in my upleg, and have its weights at 0 so the skin isnt effected will this be a terrible thing? or is there a script i should get?

nendo
07-06-2003, 11:00 AM
try to add them as "influence " in :
skin\edit smooth skin\add influence

Levitateme
07-06-2003, 01:23 PM
well i want the joints to have no effect, they are just needed for motion builder.

loked
07-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Just make sure that in your add influences option box, you have lock weights ticked and the weight is set to 0. This way it will have no effect on your skin. You can also disable weight normalization and set it to 0 in the component editor.

later:wavey:
loked

Levitateme
07-06-2003, 02:39 PM
i dont want any influence objects?

antweiler
07-07-2003, 10:23 AM
I gues joints and influence objects behave exactly the same, except that infl. obj. can take the shape into account.
ant

loked
07-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Expecially if its actually not going to have any affect at all, then it really doesnt matter. antweiler is right, it's like a jiggle and softbodies, they really are the same thing, its just a jiggle is a softbody with springs already setup. Influences get weighted just like joints, thats why they fall under the smoothskin section of the component editor.

I say use them if it's just for MB export purposes.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Later:wavey:
Loked

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.