PDA

View Full Version : Game model : Mike (UT2003)

MikeRhone
07-06-2003, 03:59 AM
My first ever game model:

This lo-res version of yours truly was made using Maya 4.5, Deep Paint and Photoshop 6. The face and shoes are photos, everything else is textures/hand done.

The model weighs in on the high end at 3100 triangulated polygons, and most of the geometric detail has gone into the face. While I know this is a no-no for game engines, I wanted a model that held up in close for demonstration purposes.

http://www.wingman.ca/CgTalk/Mike001Crit.jpg

http://www.wingman.ca/CgTalk/MikeUVCrit.jpg

I am going for an accurate model of myself. I dont want any super-hero porportions, so dont tell me I need to lose 10 pounds. I do in real life as well. ;)

This model will be animated and downloadable from Polycount in the not-so distant future. I hope Alias doesnt mind me wearing thier T-shirt on this model. The other logo is from the College of Interactive Arts in Vancouver where I am an instructor.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!!!

Mike R

yboris
07-06-2003, 04:21 AM
is it just me or is the torso a bit too long?
aside that - great job ... did you use a photo reference ? :)

bantza
07-06-2003, 02:26 PM
legs are too short, or torso too long and head too big. Check out some photoreference for correct proportions.

Manboy
07-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Eyes seem too high up in the head.

MikeRhone
07-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Yboris: I used a photo for my face. Unfortunately the digital camera I used isn't very good, but I think the texture is fine for what I need. The jeans are textures with paintovers and my new a favorite tools; the dodge and burn.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. A quick update:

http://www.wingman.ca/CgTalk/MikeAnatomy.jpg

Im not looking for crit on the nasty looking shoulder. I just bent the verts into shape so you could check proportions.

Im pretty much done with the modelling. Ill be sure to post animation cycles as I do them. Feedback is still welcomed!

Mike R

Nelis
07-07-2003, 11:31 PM
you should try and match the color tone of the head and arm skin. now the head looks almost purple instead of skin like.

the rest looks good...to me i guess

uncon
07-08-2003, 08:42 PM
I think the thumb is too stuby, and the shirt seems too thick on the top of the shoulders. Maybe try moving those top polys of the shirt down a tiny bit to make it look a little more like the shirt is hanging off the shoulders.

jrwells
07-09-2003, 05:44 AM
Just looking at your model over the reference drawing, your pants hang pretty low which is why the torso looks elongated. If you truely wear your jeans that low on the hips you need to work out the shading on the crouch. They apear to be pulled up and fitting snug, as opposed to drooping.

Also, according to your first post you said you could stand to lose 10 pounds, but the model appears scrawny with well built lats, the only other thing that could describe this is a belly protruding which I cannot tell from the front angle, and if that is the case you will need to fix the shading on the loose t-shirt. The point of the t-shirt just below the front logo moves inward on both sides suggesting that the lower half of the shirt is snugger than the upperhalf, but the shading throughout suggests that the shirt is loose and baggy, it just doesn't look right to me. Plus, if the shirt is that baggy, those pants would be so loose they would be falling off.

wedge
07-11-2003, 03:17 AM
it looks like you're wearing shoulder pads, and as we all know, those died along with the 1980's.

rob-beddall
07-14-2003, 02:11 PM
hey!!
alot of the poly's in the head are unneccesary.
also where the legs join the body could course you problems when you try to animate it. think about the way legs move and where the move ment starts from and i think you will see what i mean.
also the shoes seem very tall. and too big in general.
also the inside of the hand needs sorting out. there is a line that runs from the index finger to the wrist that looks really bad.
also if you can save some poly's on the face or anywhere else i would be tempted to do the hair as planes and alpha maps.
also i dunno if you will get way with having a beard that long just as a flat texture.
cheers!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.