PDA

View Full Version : Share your opinoin on what DVDS should you get?

eathquaketry
03-07-2009, 01:39 PM
What DVDs should you get on character modeling specially the head?
What DVDs should you get on character texturing ?
What DVDs should you get on creatures modeling or it is like character modeling ?
What DVDs should you get on general texturing like buildings and cars ?
What DVDs should you get on color theory ?
What DVDs should you get on animation ?
What DVDs should you get on V.ray and why most of people using it (as i see) ?
What DVDs should you get on Rigging ?
What DVDs should you get on Zbrush, Mudbox and which it better ?
What DVDs should you get on Bodypaint?

What time does it take to become a professional in modeling ? animation ? script ?
Does it recommended to be a professional in modeling, script to become animator?

Share with your question if i missed something?
I will add some of the professionals opinions very soon....

Zarnik
03-07-2009, 06:11 PM
You don't need DVD's, there are hundreds of videos on the internet explaining everything you need to know. Finding these videos can be a pain...that is why the lazy men and women buy DVD's.

I have used Blender 3D for about 5 months now, in this period of time I have mastered modeling rigging and texture/unwrapping. On a scale from 1-10 I'm a 5 in modeling, 3 in rigging and animation. And unwrapping 8 [not so hard]. Texturing is photoshop and that is a different program all together.

All this I have learned from videos on youtube/vimeo, google. And trial and error...so if you want to make awesome models it will take maybe a year or something til you can make shrek and Final Fantasy VII AC stuff. That depends on how much time you have...some people are more artistic that others.

So if you like math, you should probably stay away from modeling...cuz that means you are using your left brain more than your right. The right brain represents everything that has to do with art. Fantasy and stuff, while the left brain uses logic and math, no fantasy.

Good luck, if you are new use blender. Because there is a huge community at www.blenderartist.org (http://www.blenderartist.org) and it's getting new features every minute...

eldee
03-07-2009, 06:58 PM
What time does it take to become a professional in modeling ? animation ? script ?
Does it recommended to be a professional in modeling, script to become animator?

are you kidding? all you have to do is watch some dvds and you're a pro :)

in all seriousness- there is no answer to that question really, although malcolm gladwell (http://www.gladwell.com/outliers/outliers_excerpt1.html)would argue that it will take 10,000 hours (which is the time it takes to truly master anything). Honestly though, if you have to ask you're not taking it seriously enough. You should be acting, not talking.

Psyk0
03-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Focus on what you prefer doing and become a master at it. If you want to be a successful character modeler then start drawing / sculpting and learn anatomy.

See most professional artists have a strong mastery of ART principles, if you sit a traditional sculptor in front zbrush he will create a masterpiece in no time because he already knows the artistic side.

So in short, all the technical knowledge in the world will be useless if you create mediocre art!.

eathquaketry
03-08-2009, 05:04 PM
You don't need DVD's, there are hundreds of videos on the internet explaining everything you need to know. Finding these videos can be a pain...that is why the lazy men and women buy DVD's.

I know that and used it multiple times but it isn't enough it doesn't give you the all materials like DVDs and sometimes maybe you get some wrong informations cause it depends on a person maynot have a supervisor of what he is recording it you but that's not gonna happen with the DVDs Its just my opinion and maybe wrong.
Pls if i am wrong notify me and maybe post some sites that i can find these videos i just know about youtube.
thanx in advance.

eathquaketry
03-08-2009, 05:08 PM
are you kidding? all you have to do is watch some dvds and you're a pro :)

in all seriousness- there is no answer to that question really, although malcolm gladwell (http://www.gladwell.com/outliers/outliers_excerpt1.html)would argue that it will take 10,000 hours (which is the time it takes to truly master anything). Honestly though, if you have to ask you're not taking it seriously enough. You should be acting, not talking.

You are very much right , i asked about the time cause i spent about one year now with 3d graphics and working so hard and just cant consider myself a professional in any part, i am a professional in arch models but not with characters, i know just the fundamentals about animation and so about max script. actully character modeling makes me crazy sometimes specially the head.
So the year is enough to be a professional at least in modeling or the problem with me thats i meant by my question and i spend about 10 hours a day working with max i considerd it my wife.

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2009, 05:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.